Author Topic: Where can I buy original ducky shine 5 replacement keycaps?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline dream3

Where can I buy original ducky shine 5 replacement keycaps?
« on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:26:31 »
Hello dear geekhack people.

I'm in desperate need for a replacement keycap for my ducky shine 5, black. I need the VOLUME UP keycap.

Where would I be able to get one of those? Directly from ducky? Re-sellers? People around here?

Please enlighten me folks!

Thank you all :)

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
Re: Where can I buy original ducky shine 5 replacement keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:35:23 »
Here's a replacement kit, you would most likely want to replace all 3 of the volume keys.

Backlight media keys

Offline dream3

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 22:11:52 »
Thanks Cocopah but I truly love the style of the original keycaps. Would like to keep it that way  :(

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 22:13:24 »
You can give r/mechmarket a shot.

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 22:19:09 »
You can also purchase the whole set. If I were you though I'd hold out for the PBT keycaps or buy a colored keyset, at least that way its an upgrade and not buying 108 keys to replace a single cap.  :))

Ducky Backlit Keysets
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2017, 22:22:27 by Cocopah »

Offline dream3

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 09:06:13 »
Are you saying Ducky is about to release their official PTB set?

Cause I found this one too:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329

Seems ideal right? Then like you said, it will be an upgrade :)

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 00:07:20 »
Vortex seems to have control over that set, and iKBC (who I believe is affiliated with Vortex) used that exact PBT set on their black and white RGB keyboards.

There's also this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1330

Font's the same as the original white YOTG ABS keycap set.
The keycap bleed is a bit weird and inconsistent; PBT bleed doesn't seem to be as uniform as ABS (like the really nice diffused and even bleed on the Ducky YOTG keycap set) and some keycaps may have a darker square type layer (where the stem is)blocking part of the bleed through the keycaps (not the legends of course), but my set only had that on a few keys on the number keypad, INS, and a couple of the position keys (I think scroll lock, pageup, Calculator, etc).  Wasn't on any of the main number or letter keys, just some keys on the extended keyboard part.  Keys look great otherwise and perfect with the LED's off or in a lit room with the LED's on.  If you're not OCD, go with either the white or black set.  The white set lets more light through the legends for some reason, while the black set lets less light through (and thus looks dimmer) but there's of course zero backlight bleed whatsoever.