Author Topic: Shaving keycap stems  (Read 2794 times)

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
Shaving keycap stems
« on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 08:43:13 »
Just curious really, I suppose it depends on a few factors but how difficult would it be to shave down a cap stem?

For some context, I'm wondering if a Topre-stem could be shaved down to fit into an Alps/style switch. It wouldn't need to be 100% perfect as it would be like an artisan and sit in the ESC space, but I wonder if the male stem of a Topre cut be modified with a decent craft knife to fit snug/straight enough..

Am I crazy? I'm apprehensive about taking a knife to a £40 keycap but at the same time it could result in the perfect finishing touch for my board..
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline keytohopiness

Re: Shaving keycap stems
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 09:41:57 »
No, sorry.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 22:50:35 »
I tried carving an MX keycap stem to fit Topre, long before MX-compatible Topre sliders were available.

Although I ended up with a keycap that would fit on, it wouldn't stay on.

Some talented artisans have since created a TMX stem which fits on Topre and MX without modification.

A better bet would be to remove the old stem and superglue a new stem in.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 22:54:47 »
Just curious really, I suppose it depends on a few factors but how difficult would it be to shave down a cap stem?

For some context, I'm wondering if a Topre-stem could be shaved down to fit into an Alps/style switch. It wouldn't need to be 100% perfect as it would be like an artisan and sit in the ESC space, but I wonder if the male stem of a Topre cut be modified with a decent craft knife to fit snug/straight enough..

Am I crazy? I'm apprehensive about taking a knife to a £40 keycap but at the same time it could result in the perfect finishing touch for my board..

You probably could do it. It would just require careful work and patience.

What does the stem look like by the way?

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 02:48:25 »
Well I was thinking it would be easier to cut down an MX stem as there's less material to remove. I think if you cut the vertical 'slots' off, with a bit of filing it would probably fit in an Alps switch.

Don't know if I'm willing to butcher a cap to make it fit though :/

I'm looking at casting some caps myself anyway, and Alps fitment will definitely be an aim.
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff