Author Topic: Anyone Make Their Own "custom" DSA Kit from SP?  (Read 35036 times)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: Anyone Make Their Own "custom" DSA Kit from SP?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 01:04:21 »
Show Image

My (other) take on DSA: Pok3r with BFE alphas, OAX modifiers, and GEC modifiers for the arrows

Ah so thats how you did it! I love this setup btw. Gulf Racing livery is so iconic.
-Dana

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 08:26:40 »
I did a set a few weeks ago, that also uses the RCE, though the rest is the same color codes as Granite. I call it DSA Geode.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

:eek: Beautiful.

Offline justinmtype

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 14:10:35 »
Just don't ask for Penumbra. :cool:

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 09:54:32 »
This is my first try (the upright one), a Gulf theme is to follow...
Show Image

Regarding a discussion over at reddit, I'll add the colour codes, just in case s/o is interested:

The JD45 is more or less Quartz (GKK alphas; GEC modifiers, actually from the Think Different set) plus some OAX highlights. The Core has its Vortex caps plus OAX arrows and an RBH Escape.
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 22:22:42 »
So, I think I'll be creating a custom set soon because my IC for the Ubuntu / Spyro theme didn't go as well as I had hoped. It's all good though, as I bought some Skeletor caps to keep myself happy with a really unique and vibrant colorway from GMK in the meantime.  :)

Without further ado, I have purple (RCE) alphas and orange (OAZ) modifiers. The colors aren't as vibrant as the originally intended colors, but I think this is as close as I can get for now. Wish I could get the stepped caps lock in the appropriate color, but beggers can't be choosers.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 04:29:10 »
Dang it, I should have looked at this thread before ordering. GMC is lighter in color than I was hoping for. I should have ordered GEC instead. Guess I'll find out on Monday.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Slippin Jimmy

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 14:41:22 »
Show Image

My (other) take on DSA: Pok3r with BFE alphas, OAX modifiers, and GEC modifiers for the arrows

Wow, that's gorgeous. How long was the turnaround once your order was placed?

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 17:18:10 »
Got my keys in!  ;D

GMC for alphas, RCE for mods, accent Enter key in YCR.  I had the Esc key left over from the Esc pack.  I think it will look better in a dark gray or wooden case. Just trying them out in this new case I got from AliExpress.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Deep Space?

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 07:02:51 »
Wow, that's gorgeous. How long was the turnaround once your order was placed?
I think it was within two weeks from the order to arriving at my door. Within the US and normal delivery.

Sent from the road. Missing my keyboard.

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:24:28 »
I did a set a few weeks ago, that also uses the RCE, though the rest is the same color codes as Granite. I call it DSA Geode.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I thought it was a DSA version of  Muted.

anyways how much does a 60% custom colored DSA keyset from SP cost? lead time?

wanted to ask if the font they use would be the same as the ones on granite aswell?

Only PBT?

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:32:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

wanted to ask if the font they use would be the same as the ones on granite aswell?

Only PBT?
They're always this font. This set cost $92 and was in my hands 6 days after ordering. $15 of that was for the three additional keys (the purple ESC and Enter, and the extra FN key to fit in place of Caps Lock)
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:38:38 by zappysnap »
YMDK96/XD96, Holy Panda, Infinikey Hive
DZ60RGB, 67g Zealio v2, SA Oblivion
Varmilo VA68M, Box Navy, SA Ashen
MA60 v2, Wood case, Novelkeys Cream, XDA Canvas
DZ60, 78g Zealios, Lambo case, DSA Geode (custom sublimated)
Leopold FC980M, MX Clear, EnjoyPBT 9009

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:34:14 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Only PBT?

Here's where we get the sets:
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-sublimated-keycap-sets/

If the colors you choose are in stock (does happen, but not always), I've received them 4 days after ordering.  Plan on 2 weeks max.

Full set is going to cost around $75 for 60% and $90 for TKL, plus shipping.

It is NOT the same font as Granite, but it's close.  It's really hard to tell on modifiers, but you can spot it on the alphas.  It looks slightly thinner than Granite and some of the letters, like Q, are a dead giveaway for miss-matches.  However, I think it blends nicely if you are mixing alphas with mods.

Yes, these are dye sublimated PBT only.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:37:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Only PBT?
They're always this font. This set cost $92 and was in my hands 6 days after ordering.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Only PBT?

Here's where we get the sets:
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-sublimated-keycap-sets/

If the colors you choose are in stock (does happen, but not always), I've received them 4 days after ordering.  Plan on 2 weeks max.

Full set is going to cost around $75 for 60% and $90 for TKL, plus shipping.

It is NOT the same font as Granite, but it's close.  It's really hard to tell on modifiers, but you can spot it on the alphas.  It looks slightly thinner than Granite and some of the letters, like Q, are a dead giveaway for miss-matches.  However, I think it blends nicely if you are mixing alphas with mods.

Yes, these are dye sublimated PBT only.

Awesome, pricing isnt half as bad, so basically it would depend on the colors you choose then

I might make a set very soon :D thanks guys!

Offline zslane

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:49:06 »
It is NOT the same font as Granite, but it's close.

SP's font is called Gorton Modified. Granite's font is Gotham Rounded Book. They are similar, but not the same. (They are similar enough that I use Gotham Rounded Book to stand in for Gorton Modified in all my CG keycap renders.)

Offline jnthnrvs

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 20:33:06 »
Got my keys in!  ;D

GMC for alphas, RCE for mods, accent Enter key in YCR.  I had the Esc key left over from the Esc pack.  I think it will look better in a dark gray or wooden case. Just trying them out in this new case I got from AliExpress.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I'm really loving RCE on your board and zappysnap's. That's a very classy look. I have some similar stuff in my cart at PMK right this moment.

By the way.. how do you like that Chinese aluminum case? I'm thinking about getting one for my first 60% board, and I was curious about your initial impressions of it. Care to share?

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 22:17:55 »
Now that I actually have my JTK sliders, I can finally post the set I had mentioned some time back (BCT alphas with BFE mods):

A couple of the keys are crooked sadly, but luckily it's not really noticeable from the angle I normally see the board when sitting.  Also have a 6u BCT spacebar I can use once I get some extra topre spacebars to sacrifice and steal the stems from.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 April 2017, 22:48:59 by a_ak57 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 22:21:03 »
The case is great. Nice finish, super heavy.  The only issue you could have with it is that there is quite a bit of space between the plate and the edge of the case.  I'm pretty picky, though, and it doesn't bother me once the keycaps are on.  I would certainly buy it again if I had the need

I recently noticed they are selling this case on eBay, which is nice 👍

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 22:21:50 »
Now that I actually have my JTK sliders, I can finally post the set I had mentioned some time back (BCT alphas with BFE mods):

Show Image

A couple of the keys are crooked sadly, but luckily it's not really noticeable from the angle I normally see the board when sitting.  Also have a 6u BCT spacebar I can use once I get some extra topre spacebars to steam the stems from.

Love BCT.  Such a nice clean blue

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 23:14:49 »
I have my Planck keycaps ready to go. Just need to wait for the planck to ship in June. GKK (light gray / off white) Ortho Base, RBH and GSF Ortho modifiers. They forgot a "." key but shipped it out right when I let them know. I'm happy with the way the colors turned out.

« Last Edit: Sun, 09 April 2017, 01:20:51 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline jnthnrvs

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 15:29:51 »
The case is great. Nice finish, super heavy.  The only issue you could have with it is that there is quite a bit of space between the plate and the edge of the case.  I'm pretty picky, though, and it doesn't bother me once the keycaps are on.  I would certainly buy it again if I had the need

I recently noticed they are selling this case on eBay, which is nice

Super. Thanks for the mini-review. It's on my shopping list once the board comes in.

Back on topic (sorry, everybody): I also pulled the trigger on some custom dye sub DSAs. Went with Granite greys so that I could match it up to that set if some of those kits ever came my way. And then I added some simple mods in RCE, YCR, and Bsomethingsomething. Thanks for the visual inspiration on the RCE especially. It looks so so nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jnthnrvs

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 15:32:01 »

Show Image

Oooo, definitely going to pick up some BFE accents next time around. That's really nice, and I think the closest thing you can get to the BFV (I think) of DSA Quartz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ozymandias99

• Uhhh I don't know what to put here so Hello There!
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 16:19:38 »
Anyone have any colour recommendation for a Planck set with this case? I already bought the case (red varient) but I can't figure out what caps to buy.

Offline jnthnrvs

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 22:20:47 »
Anyone have any colour recommendation for a Planck set with this case? I already bought the case (red varient) but I can't figure out what caps to buy.

Have you had a look at the PBT color chips pictured at the bottom of this page? http://pimpmykeyboard.com/colors/

Offline jnthnrvs

Anyone Make Their Own "custom" DSA Kit from SP?
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 13:35:38 »

My custom DSA caps arrived today, just 7 weekdays after ordering! Very, very pleased about that.

I got these to cover an incoming XD60-based 60%+ board (tentative layout pictured), but also to try on a Tada/Saber68 when it arrives.

I went with Granite colors so that I could easily add a true Granite two-tone numpad kit (the custom kit only gives you a monotone numpad) in the future (for a separate numpad or to cover a UK78 board, if that becomes a reality... or a 96 key layout).

Here's what I bought:
- 60% base
- TKL mods
- 4x 1.75u blanks (planning to make Caps Lock -> FN, and also possibly try some wizardry with right Shift)
- 10x 1u blanks. (Because I don't know what I'll settle on for those 3 bottom right blank keys)
- Indecision BFE, RCE, YCR accents (of which I like YCR and BFE best.)

In retrospect, I probably should have just gotten the "Alternate Kit" instead of all those blanks. Oh well. Some other time.

I would have gone for BFV blue accents ala DSA Quartz, but that color isn't available, apparently.

I'll probably also get a spacebar accent in BFE or maybe in RCB. I think RCE turned out a little dark for such a "light" colorway. Would look nice for cursor key accents maybe?

This is my first DSA set, so I'm interested to see how it will be to type on. Hurry up, USPS. Overall, I'm pleased with what I've seen so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 13:49:17 by jnthnrvs »

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 14:09:18 »
Just had this bizarre set come in today.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 15:27:09 »
Just had this bizarre set come in today.

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great. Good choice with that case too

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 15:57:33 »
I’m going to hazard a guess that the alphas can only be printed in dark, is this true? Is there anywhere that lets you choose the font colour also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 16:09:32 »
I’m going to hazard a guess that the alphas can only be printed in dark, is this true? Is there anywhere that lets you choose the font colour also?
Guessed right! At least the PMK sets will always have dark prints (or be blank of course). I am not aware of any other shop that does fully customisable DSAs.

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 16:44:52 »
Guessed right! At least the PMK sets will always have dark prints (or be blank of course). I am not aware of any other shop that does fully customisable DSAs.

Makes sense cost wise I guess, but being able to match your modifier keys with the alpha text would give us next level customisation! I would definitely pay more for that.. (If anyone is listening ;))

Offline zslane

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 17:08:50 »
As far as I know, reverse dyesub still has difficulty with consistent pigment coverage when doing solid colors (as opposed to the swirly, noisy patterns you typically see).

Offline Bjack795

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 01:56:05 »
Excuse me, I have my own layout
204167-0
How can I make it with Pimp my keyboard? I can't find how to submit it on the website

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 17:49:22 »
First ever custom keyset I bought two years ago for my old filco mj2 was this Lithuanian themed set.
Using it now on this convertible for my tv room/couch computering.
Swapped in box pale blues but due to the whole stem cracking thing I put in some gateron blues for the recently acquired artisans.
I didn't want to swap out the pale blues entirely cause I figure 1. dyesub pbt is tougher than gmk abs, 2. they don't have those side spurs on the stem, and 3. the feel of dsa on pale blues is one of my favorites, like typing on a hole punch or clicking your tongue every keystroke.

204199-0