Author Topic: Minimum requirements to flash a Pro Micro  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Tactile

Minimum requirements to flash a Pro Micro
« on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 19:33:43 »
I'm running Win 10 64 bit and have all tools I need to build firmware (TMK, QMK) and flash a Teensy.

I've just gotten my first Pro Micro to play with and it looks like I need to install some Arduino stuff in order to flash it. I just want to flash it with Soarer's converter so, as you know, I have Soarer's hex file ready to go, I just need to get it onto the Pro Micro.

I'm trying to avoid installing two gallons of stuff on the computer just to do a one teaspoon job.

What's the minimum toolset I need to just flash a Pro Micro?
REΛLFORCE

Offline a-c

Re: Minimum requirements to flash a Pro Micro
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 19:48:31 »
AVRdude, usually comes bundled with winavr, arduino, etc...

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avrdude

Offline megahertzcoil

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 00:19:14 »
This thread might help you out: https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a-cheap-controller-converter-like-soarer-s-t8448.html

I am currently in the process of doing exactly that (building a Soarer's converter with a Pro Micro).  I think I have the pro micro side of things working, but I fear that my keyboard doesn't work...

Offline Wingklip

• I am the one the one the one the one the one
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 02:35:28 »
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pro-micro--fio-v3-hookup-guide

Windows 10 works defs.

Basically flash the blinkies thing first according to the guide above and then you need to use Arduino builder

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=151774.0

Select the hex file and the Arduino Leonardo or the Arduino micro if it doesn't work. Then short RST to gnd and mash that COM x-1 button where x is what the normal com operating port is

If you see pie charts you're sweet.

Soarer's converter takes a while to boot up and install I've found, so unplug, plug it in, reset to ground again, and just wait and sit. NumLock led should come on after that and your keyboard should work
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline xandwich

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 18:31:33 »
First two replies are spot on (from my limited experience). The only thing you need is the command line utility avrdude.  The deskthority guide is a great one, tells you exactly the command line arguments to use, and even includes pics of Pro Micro pinouts and the equivalent Teensy labels.

Only bit of trouble I had was figuring out that shorting the pins for flashing needs to happen quite quickly after power up.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 01:05:16 »
The Pro Micro w/Soarer's is inside the 42H1292 I'm typing on right now. Thanks to all who replied.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Wingklip

• I am the one the one the one the one the one
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 05:16:08 »
So what was the method you used in the end? Mine seems to be a bit inefficient to myself even lol
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline Tactile

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 08:23:23 »
So what was the method you used in the end? Mine seems to be a bit inefficient to myself even lol

At one of the corners of the Pro Micro are a couple of solder pads labeled "J1". On my Chinese Pro Micro these solder pads were not bridged, which they must be for a 5 volt Pro Micro. When I learned about this I bridged J1 with a bit of solder and then was able to flash it in Win 10 using avrdude.

The command line I used was the standard:
Code: [Select]
avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P YOUR_SERIAL_PORT  -c avr109  -U flash:w:filename.hex
I had Device Manager open so I could watch the serial port, which changes (did for me, anyway) between "running" mode & bootloader mode. When I saw what serial port Windows assigned when the Pro Micro was in bootloader mode I just up-arrowed in the terminal, edited the serial port, shorted reset and ground once more, and pressed enter in the terminal.
REΛLFORCE