Author Topic: How durable are custom WASD keycaps? At least more than mass-produced?  (Read 5586 times)

Offline mamcx

I'm close to start building my first keyboard with a custom layout -in progress-. I know WASD keycaps (or maxkeyboard, the only other I know do custom prints) are not as durable as double-shoot and others, but wonder if at least are better than the ones in mass-produced keyboards (I have a MS Ergo with +12 of faded keys).

I don't wanna use blanks. So is to abort the custom layout if are too bad or accept the quality as is.

Offline nyunyu

Re: How durable are custom WASD keycaps? At least more than mass-produced?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:49:33 »
I had to retire my 0.9mm thin Max caps after 1 month usage, because the keyfeel and the sound it makes is so awful.
I even tried putting o-rings on, but did not help.

MS Ergo4000 has 1.4mm thick ABS caps (same thickness as modern PBT blanks or old Cherry doubleshots!), and they have much lower profile than Max/WASD's OEM, so they don't make that hollow, rattling sound.

Left to right:
- Gateron blank PBT (with some printed label sticked on it)
- Cherry doubleshot ABS
- Max's custom printed ABS
- Ergo4000 pad printed ABS

WASD is using the same caps as Max, but WASD has broader color range. (and more expensive)
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2017, 11:00:03 by nyunyu »

Offline Urbi

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:53:38 »
I can back this up. Their keys feel so thin and cheap like the toys you get out of a grab bag. It was really underwhelming even when I knew they are ABS and said to be thin.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 18:04:42 »
WASD is regarded as pretty terrible. Unless you want a full keyboard image, I would recommend trying to go another route.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mamcx

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 20:36:20 »
I would recommend trying to go another route.

Like what?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 20:40:16 »
Unfortunately, not using a custom layout. Or bear blanks.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 20:48:01 »
You could use a set of DSA caps (or any uniform profile) and just rearrange them.

Edit: the legends wouldn't match 100% but you could get close
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 21:15:06 »
I have a few custom WASD caps that I've had for a couple of years, and they've been just fine for me.  No signs of wear, no more noise than other caps, and they feel good to me when I'm typing.  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a custom set from wasd, and I've had good experience with their customer service.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline mamcx

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 10:53:03 »
I have a few custom WASD caps that I've had for a couple of years, and they've been just fine for me.

Ok, I know some folks are more sensitive to some qualities than others. I'm just concerned about durability of the legends, if are better than the ones normally in mass-produced keybs is an improvement to me.

I care more for the overall layout (to mimic the MS Ergo) than details as how a key sound. Never used mech before (and will be probably the only user that have a mech-keys and custom in miles around me!) so I don't have chance to nitpick to other details...

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:02:22 »
I've got boards with PBT (Realforce, for example) and boards with ABS (Northgate Omnikeys with caps that are somewhere north of 25 years old), and I find that the keycap is one of the less important parts to the total experience.  At my office, I often go back and forth between a Realforce and an Omnikey -- the switch feel is very different, but I don't notice the difference in the caps.

None of my caps has faded legends.  (The old Northgate caps have developed some shine, but they were double-shot so the printing hasn't faded.)

Wasd claims that the UV printing process they switched to a couple of years ago produces a very durable cap on which the legends should last a very long time.  I can't verify that claim myself because I don't have a board full of wasd caps that I've used all day every day for a couple of years.  But the few cases I've found on-line where someone reports their experience over time with those caps, they're not seeing signs of wear. 

So I'm guessing they'll be pretty durable -- you're probably talking years, not months, before you notice any fading, if then.  Meanwhile, for $50 they'll sell you a complete set customized the way you want it, and there aren't many vendors that will do that.  If you follow Massdrop for a while, you might find a drop there that does what you want.  An example is this drop, which offers what should be a very high quality set of ABS caps, including enough extra caps to cover a pretty wide range of needs.  It's currently at $130, might get down to $120 if enough people sign on. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-jessica-gmk-plum-custom-keycap-set
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|