Author Topic: Can it be hacked? KBParadise V80  (Read 3580 times)

Offline a-jilted-scholar

• Vimspirational
Can it be hacked? KBParadise V80
« on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:53:06 »
Hey all,

A few months ago I built a handwired TKL out of scrap wire, a teensy 2.0, and a Cooler Master case and plate. I'm not proficient in C, my experience writing something close to C is with the Sparkfun Arduino (close but not quite C), so I used the TMK Firmware Builder: http://kb.sized.io/ (That tool is cool, I only wish there were a way to have it export the C source code in addition to the hex) I did try to edit and compile TMK myself, but I wasn't editing my keyswitch matrix correcly in the code (just an inference).

On my custom TKL I switched Caps and Esc, which made the keyboard really awesome for me. I use Vim keybindings everywhere I know possible. Otherwise I use an xmodmap profile in Linux which has limitations. I can't unplug and plug the keyboard in without xmodmap being reset, and the settings don't survive sleep, hibernation, or poweroff (all probably fixable with scripting, but then I can't use just any computer with the board.)

So I did what any rational person with a perfectly functional mechanical keyboard would do and broke open the warranty seal. It has a Holtek HT32F1755 ARM chip. It also has some through hole pins that were maybe used for programming? I haven't written down the key matrix yet, but that's probably necessary as well.

edit: I made a typo with my google search a few minutes ago, found the data sheet too:
http://www.keil.com/dd/docs/datashts/holtek/ht32f175x.pdf

« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:59:17 by a-jilted-scholar »

Offline a-jilted-scholar

• Vimspirational
Re: Can it be hacked? KBParadise V80
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:08:42 »
The chip supports flash protection: http://www.keil.com/dd/chip/6409.htm

"Flash protection capability to prevent illegal access." So maybe that's not a good sign?  :(

Also, point of info: It's also not reprogrammable by default as far as I've researched. This is a review for the Cherry Green version: http://www.hardcoreware.net/kbp-v80-review-mx-green/
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:20:43 by a-jilted-scholar »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:19:51 »
I think that board is either PS/2 or USB. If that's the case it would be much easier to hook it up to a Teensy (internal or external) and Soarer's converter instead of trying to hack the onboard controller.
REΛLFORCE

Offline a-jilted-scholar

• Vimspirational
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:35:47 »
I think that board is either PS/2 or USB. If that's the case it would be much easier to hook it up to a Teensy (internal or external) and Soarer's converter instead of trying to hack the onboard controller.

If I'm understanding from quick research the Soarer's converter is used to convert legacy keyboard signals to USB? That does make me wonder if I could simply program a teensy as a sort of USB to USB version of the Soarer's converter:
[ keyboard] --- [ teensy ] -- [ computer ]

That's essentially what the Soarer's converter does? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:36:31 »
I love Elzy

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:48:55 »

If I'm understanding from quick research the Soarer's converter is used to convert legacy keyboard signals to USB? That does make me wonder if I could simply program a teensy as a sort of USB to USB version of the Soarer's converter:
[ keyboard] --- [ teensy ] -- [ computer ]

That's essentially what the Soarer's converter does? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0

If the keyboard is "PS/2 or USB" you would be converting from PS/2 to USB. The Soarer's would recognize the keyboard as PS/2 and convert to USB giving you full programmability in the process. I thought the keyboard was either/or PS/2 or USB. That makes conversion a snap.
REΛLFORCE

Offline a-jilted-scholar

• Vimspirational

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 16:24:18 »
A while ago I made a post asking if it's possible to alter V60 firmware. The answer I got was it was not feasible. I think the easiest solution is to buy TMK USB to USB converter, but the problem is fn key does not emit keycode and cannot be detected by the converter.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline a-jilted-scholar

• Vimspirational
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:58:44 »
A while ago I made a post asking if it's possible to alter V60 firmware. The answer I got was it was not feasible. I think the easiest solution is to buy TMK USB to USB converter, but the problem is fn key does not emit keycode and cannot be detected by the converter.

I think I read your post. :)

What you say about the FN key is strange. What are the technical reasons for this? I'll try and dig up your post about this to read more thoroughly.

I wonder if using a converter would introduce latency?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 18:44:19 »
A usb to usb converter sure beats dealing with a bricked pcb

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:36:26 »

I think I read your post. :)

What you say about the FN key is strange. What are the technical reasons for this? I'll try and dig up your post about this to read more thoroughly.

I wonder if using a converter would introduce latency?
The converter works by reading keycode from keyboard and translating them. Pressing Fn key itself does not emit any keycode, so the converter does not know about the keypress. In theory, a converter can introduce latency since there's an extra level of processing. However I don't notice any latency when using TMK USB to USB converter. I am not a gamer and not super sensitive to latency, but at least for typing I don't feel any difference with or without the converter.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.