Author Topic: How is it possible that "Bossi" only appears on GeekHack once?  (Read 6989 times)

Offline TelFiRE

Hey guys,
I got a new Ducky and want to upgrade the caps. Was trying to do a little research on some PBT keycaps I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bossi-keycaps-Double-shot-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01IBM901S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491775943&sr=8-2&keywords=pbt+keycaps+backlit

I was going to pick up the Vortex backlit PBTs but they seem out of stock everywhere. So I went looking for an alternative, and I found this brand Bossi. To my utter shock, I could only find Bossi mentioned one time on here, in an offhand comment.

So, does anyone know anything about Bossi keycaps?

(Or have insider info on when this might be back in stock :P https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329)
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: How is it possible that "Bossi" only appears on GeekHack once?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 18:01:44 »
Looks like the crappy painted and lasered thin ABS caps you find on some OEM boards.  Couldn't pay me to use them.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 18:06:21 »
Thank you for the reply :) I expected it was probably something like that. I don't really know what I'm looking for because I've always just used the ABS that come with my Duckies. If I've got my heart set on backlight-compatibles is the Vortex set basically my only option?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 23:18:34 »
Thank you for the reply :) I expected it was probably something like that. I don't really know what I'm looking for because I've always just used the ABS that come with my Duckies. If I've got my heart set on backlight-compatibles is the Vortex set basically my only option?

If you're looking for double shots the vortex set is your only option but imo the stock ducky backlit keycaps are just as good as the double shot vortex caps. If you want an upgrade you'll need to move away from backlight compatible keycaps and look at something thicker like GMK, BSP, or Gateron.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline cutterline

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 00:49:18 »
Hideous font and too oversized. You don't need to think twice why it's just mentioned once.
You can get better deals from aliexpress. Just search with 'pbt backlit'

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 04:09:35 »
If you're looking for double shots the vortex set is your only option but imo the stock ducky backlit keycaps are just as good as the double shot vortex caps. If you want an upgrade you'll need to move away from backlight compatible keycaps and look at something thicker like GMK, BSP, or Gateron.

I see. Thanks for the info. I always thought PBT were much better than ABS? :/ I'm pretty attached to the idea of backlight. May just have to wait until someone better comes out with a backlight compatible keycap set. I know the general consensus is that backlights look fine without backlight compatibility, but personally I drastically prefer the look of backlight compatible keycaps, at least for my setup.

I already have a Shine 5 with the Vortex caps on the way so I can try those caps and see if I like them or if I agree with you on them being the same, either way I'll resell the Shine 5.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."

I see. Thanks for the info. I always thought PBT were much better than ABS? :/

They're 2 different materials with different properties, one isn't necessarily better than the other.

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 06:14:36 »
Hideous font and too oversized. You don't need to think twice why it's just mentioned once.
My thoughts exactly.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 15:42:16 »

First of all let me correct you guys here.

The picture in the very first image of the link links to the WRONG, or an OLDER set of these keycaps.
The newer set does NOT use this atrocious font (this Chinese gamer font is also used on other Chinese keyboards like the Teamwolf, Zhuque, E-element and many others...even the Shine 6's floating keycaps uses this font now!)

That first picture should be completely removed as those "gamer" fonts don't even ship anymore.

The correct fonts are shown in the pictures BELOW the one you said that is atrocious.  And these fonts are actually very nice and neutral, absolutely NO worse than the Vortex 126 key fonts on the updated Vortex doubleshot sets, except being a little bigger.  And they let more light through.

Go to the last picture in that amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Bossi-keycaps-Double-shot-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01IBM901S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491775943&sr=8-2&keywords=pbt+keycaps+backlit

And tell me how in God's name that's an 'Atrocious' font?  You can't get any more neutral than that font.

Here's how the backlighting looks from an overclock.net user:

http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2a/2a697def_P1010549.jpeg

NOTICE THAT THERE ARE GAMER FONTS ON THAT KEYBOARD because if you look carefully, the color is different--the key size is incompatible with the bottom row so he has to use the stock keycaps on some of the keys (which have the gamer fonts).

Also: Bossi does not make these keycaps.  They are made by Kananic of China.  Kananic makes hotswappable keyboards and they use these keycaps on their own boards.  Bossi is just a reseller.
The white keycaps seem to have had two versions made: a traditional translucent font version that's standard fare and quite bright (the only keycap set that matches these in LED brightness are the original Ducky YOTG ABS sets, which don't seem to be available outside of Taiwan anymore), and a newer set which uses a strange interesting translucent material that with the backlighting off, makes the legends look like they are pad printed, but when on, become translucent.  Very interesting set, same fonts, but a minor drawback is the LED lights through the legends s appear sort of sparkly when looked at headon, but fully normal at an angle.  The keycap stem can be "seen" on the bottom of some of the legends with the LED's on when viewed directly on, due to the 'darkening' effect, but look just gorgeous for translucent legends without backlighting, which is pretty worth it overall.

I did have some problems with the Bossi seller, and getting broken/incomplete sets, although eventually I was able to combine for a full set, but it seems others are having more success.   I'd recommend trying them, or at least getting them from Kananic supplier on Taobao or something....

tl;dr: I'd recommend them for backlit, if the Vortex sets are not in stock.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2017, 15:44:31 by falkentyne »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 15:50:52 »
And tell me how in God's name that's an 'Atrocious' font?  You can't get any more neutral than that font.

I mean, the new font you posted isn't atrocious but it certainly isn't attractive. Tbh the font Razer uses looks better and that's one of my least favorite font choices on a keyboard. 

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 17:15:17 »
I said it was neutral.
The font the other poster was talking about was that terrible font in that first picture (with the triangle for shift and [A] bracket for caps lock, etc).

Offline dantan

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:05:42 »
You mentioned getting broken sets? It looks like these are pretty thin keycaps.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 03:00:52 »
Do you think this set would be better than the Vortex one and Ducky one or also about the same? http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-set/pbt-104-key-cherry-mx-keycap-set-backlit-doubleshot-black.html

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 04:51:47 »
Those WASD keycap sets don't have top aligned legends.   So numbers won't be lit very well at all.
The *updated* vortex sets and the ducky sets (and these and the "Ikbc" sets below) are top aligned number+symbols.
Also I'm talking about the white translucent keycaps, not the black ones.

The first set I ordered had a broken stem on the M key, it looked like a problem with the mold or the stem was broken before it was even packaged to begin with.  That was the only issue, but this set used the "traditional" translucent legend format like you see on the Ducky YOTG, Vortex (new 126 key updated) sets, Aliexpress ikbc seamless doubleshot set (white set here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IKBC104-Double-shot-Translucidus-Backlit-PBT-Mechanical-Keycap-For-Cherry-Keycool-NOPPOO-PLU-HPE-Ducky-Filco/32521595756.html), and others.  So I asked them for a replacement M key, and you know with the shipping time from China, 3 weeks later, a replacement M key arrived, but it was from the NEWER batch set, where the keys look like they are pad printed with the LED's off (quite nice actually), but translucent with anything shining through the legends.  So the replacement M key looked completely out of place.  I should have just done an A-Z amazon refund, but I ordered another set, as I wanted the new sets since they look splendid with the backlighting off.   Well after a month, the new set came...with the new legend process...MISSING A M KEY COMPLETELY.  Now it was blatantly completely obvious that this was done deliberately, as only an idiot would fail to see that the M key that was shipped previously came from this set.  I angrily did an Amazon A-Z refund over this, as I wasn't going to deal with slow Chinese shipping anymore, and took a gift card for the refund.  But I do have a complete matching set now at least.

Other people who bought from this "Bossi" reseller didn't seem to have any issues.

That being said, it's a rather nice set.  It's much brighter LED brightness than the out of stock Vortex 126 updated white translucent set, and the black "printed" effect is splendid.  The only drawback is if you look directly at the LED's from straight on, you see some sparkling processing from the material used, which goes away if you look from an angle.  Also the keyswitch stem/shaft can be seen at the bottom of some of the legends when viewed straight on when the backlighting is on (also due to the effect) which isn't a big deal unless you have OCD.   The old set is good too, but is just basic translucent.  Basic translucent legends look bad with the backlighting off. 

Since Kananic makes these keycaps, I would recommend people just buy from them with a taobao agent or something.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 April 2017, 04:53:38 by falkentyne »

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 04:55:36 »
Awesome info, thanks for sharing!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 20:47:02 »
I'm typing this on a set of Bossi's that I just received yesterday.

For the $16 I paid for it, this is actually a really nice set of keys. They are in fact double-shot PBT/POM. I bought  two sets to make a custom backlit colorway for the exact reasons that OP mentioned. Are they on par with the double shot PBT keys on my ducky pocket? No. But once again, they were $16, so who cares. I have 4 more sets of keycaps on order anyway. I'm glad I got them.

Offline Zip68

• "I'm sorry Dave,I'm afraid I can't do that."
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 22:36:29 »
I'm the one over at OCN that purchased these sets(BLK & GY) of Bossi keys. I'm relatively new to mechs,but the keys feel great IMO.Although the grey set doesn't seem to let the light through as bright/clear as the black set. And the sparkling effect is indeed true when looking head-on.But like has been stated $36 for two sets I don't think you'll be disappointed. Here are some more photo's of the set,hope this helps you out more.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 22:45:42 by Zip68 »
Get busy living OR Get busy dying...

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 17:49:36 »
I told you guys these sets were good.  I Just had problems with the seller.  Remember BOSSI DOES NOT make these sets.  They're made by Kananic of China.  I don't have Kananic's QQ# as my laptop broke but when I get my new laptop on Wednesday and reinstall QQ I'll look for it.  They speak horrible English (he doesn't even know how to sell to an American market himself, he said I can buy the keycaps from taobao, with translation).

So make sure you give Kananic credit for making some decent caps.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 17:51:52 »
I'm the one over at OCN that purchased these sets(BLK & GY) of Bossi keys. I'm relatively new to mechs,but the keys feel great IMO.Although the grey set doesn't seem to let the light through as bright/clear as the black set. And the sparkling effect is indeed true when looking head-on.But like has been stated $36 for two sets I don't think you'll be disappointed. Here are some more photo's of the set,hope this helps you out more.

How do the legends on keycaps look with the backlighting off? (on either set?).

On the white set, the legends actually turn black (not pure black, but black enough), so the caps look pad printed.  The "older" white sets were basic translucent (just as bright as the Ducky YOTG set, but less even light bleed;  no PBT keycaps have beautiful light bleed like the Ducky YOTG set had).

Offline Zip68

• "I'm sorry Dave,I'm afraid I can't do that."
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 21:01:23 »
The last pic is with the lights off,but I guess the flash is giving the set a different look. To me they look like blanks until you get really close,then you can see the translucent lettering. See pic below..... In this photo(taken in a better lit room) you see more translucency,because I'm right on top of the board.But sitting at normal typing distance the keys look like blanks IMO. More along the lines of the second row first 3 keys top left. This is with the black set,the grey set looks a bit more traditional to where you can see the lettering a lot better(ESC key). I have the standard middle of the room ceiling fan light in my computer room if that helps any.
Get busy living OR Get busy dying...

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 08:58:39 »
Thank you.  I wasn't expecting the blacks to have the legends start glowing white with the LEDs off I guess (since that's a bit impossible).
I can't really tell with the grey set from here, but if you try the white set, the effect is striking.  The one user who wrote a review on amazon got the updated white sets and in his pictures, you can clearly see how strong the black marking effect is (especially on the underside too).

Offline saxophone

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 03:36:03 »
They're the same cheap ish caps that comes with the hall effect keyboard and the kananic DKD.

It's genuine PBT and feels pretty good to type on. The only downsides is that the font looks poor and also there's no cross supports going from the keycap walls to the stem, meaning that o-rings goes in too deep on them and won't work unless if you stack rings depending on what row the cap belongs to.

Offline J-Bird

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 03:46:41 »
I have 6 sets of these caps: black, white, grey, yellow, red and blue. As mentioned above, Kananic is the manufacturer. The keycap quality is actually very good, not just for the price. They feel sturdy and are nice to type on. There are some minor quality issues, usually around the bottom edges, but nothing big. The lack of a cross inside them does not seem to have any detrimental effect other than the fact that it takes multiple O-Rings to bring about any dampening effect.

The white set I got had some keys stained as if someone spilled tea on them, and the stains were impossible to completely remove. First I thought the warehouse roof was leaking but on a second thought it looked like some solvent damage, most likely back at the factory. Not sure how it passed quality control like this. Anyway, the seller (none of the ones mentioned above) refunded me in full. The same white set also has a small transparent dot underneath the Windows logo key. Other ones I got have no such issues.

The black set looks the best overall, and the white one would also look good, were it not for the issues with the particular one I got. On the modifier keys, the yellow set suffers comparatively more light leakage through the side of the keycap, other variants (even the white one) seem to be much better with regard to this.

The red and yellow look crisp and vibrant, all fine here. The blue one (the darker of the two) is actually more like the cyan in CMYK, would have preferred it to be more blueish. As for the grey set, it would have been better if they sold dark and light grey separately: the way it is, it is kind of too light to accompany black keys, and much too dark to accompany the white ones. Overall, I think they're all very good for a limited number of keys (which is what I bought them for), not sure if I would want a whole keyboard in any of the colors besides black or white.

The biggest issue with these caps are actually the labels, and the version I have is the updated one, where they got rid of the hideous "gamer" font. It's a big step up but would look even better without the stencil effect: not sure if it's a technological limitation, or a conscious decision by the designer. A couple of keys look particularly ugly: "Tab", "Caps" (Lock), both "Shift" keys, and "Enter" because someone decided to use an expanded typeface for these, which makes them inconsistent with the rest of the labels. In the case of the "Enter" key, there's also a particularly ugly lowercase "e" being used there, which looks more like the Euro currency symbol. All of these would look much better as pictographs anyway.

Executive summary: If you want backlit keycaps, these are not a bad choice. Just make sure to buy from a seller with a decent return/refund policy in case of any quality issues.