Author Topic: Why don't keyboard come with switch top removable plates?  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Encabulator

Why don't keyboard come with switch top removable plates?
« on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:49:44 »
I just learned about these plates that are popular where you can pop off switch tops for impatience and spring/stem changes.  I know the starting price for one is quite low but then there is there is the soldering you have to do and extra parts to buy if you break anything. So my point is, why don't companies just have stock plates that support switch top removal? Its not going to cost them anything more to produce, it would be another selling point for the keyboard and people would probably even be willing to spend more on a keyboard with one of those plates stock. Currently the only reasons I can think of is it might look ugly and sell less (unlikely) or it might get bad reviews when someone attempts to open a switch the wrong way and breaks it. Let me know what you guys think.
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Why don't keyboard come with switch top removable plates?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:53:39 »
No idea. It is from 4 to 20 faces per switch hole, and it would require straying from Cherry spec (which might be exactly why they aren't, they aren't allowed?).

Some kustom creators argue stability, but I don't think it makes a different, and it's completely placebo in my opinion.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:07:13 »
What companies? Mainstream? Those have absolutely no interest in advertising any such feature, because then they'd have to deal with RMA requests on keyboards ruined by idiots.

Note that some keyboards don't even need such cutouts: Alps/Matias or PCB-mount MX-like switches _can_ be opened without any soldering involved. Matias or Cherry don't advertise modifiability—for a reason—though.

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 08:45:29 »
What companies? Mainstream? Those have absolutely no interest in advertising any such feature, because then they'd have to deal with RMA requests on keyboards ruined by idiots.

Note that some keyboards don't even need such cutouts: Alps/Matias or PCB-mount MX-like switches _can_ be opened without any soldering involved. Matias or Cherry don't advertise modifiability—for a reason—though.

Just put warranty void stickers on every single hole for switch top removal :p

In all seriousness, I'd assume anyone spending upwards of $100 on a keyboard will have some sort of knowledge on removing plastic friction-fit tabs and replacing springs.
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 08:59:05 »
Just read Reddit (mk, pcmr,…) for a while, you'll see plenty of idiots with way too much money and little common sense, including some that attempt fraud after ruining their gear.

Offline drewafx

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 09:38:53 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 November 2022, 22:42:33 by drewafx »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 09:39:18 »
because it's dumb..

Originally this was done to cater to the Lubing fad..

But cherry mx is not designed to be lubed, the lube simply just rolls off, it will not stay on there for long. and because the switch has such large openings any lube greatly increases the odds of dust causing build up on the inside.

Then people were like, oh well, now we're gonna swap the stems..

Yea ok, have fun spending 2 hours doing that..    I'd rather go to work for 2 hours and buy a new board in another switch variation..

Swappable switch plate IS versatile,   but it's just not practical in usage... 

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 11:28:33 »
I thought it was to avoid people modding the hell out of them and ending up not buying another board for decades. I bet manufacturers were like "these little s* switches go for 50 million keystrokes, let's make it impossible for the ordinary customker to mod them without buying a soldering iron or desoldering pump, learning how to desolder, and desolder every single gd pin first." Bast*s.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 20:15:09 »
I imagine that switch top removable plates are more expensive to manufacture too, right? The little cutouts means more time spent on the CNC machine and means tighter tolerances.

Besides, I don't see to many people with corsair k60s or razer boards needing switch top removal.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 02:44:31 »
Besides, I don't see to many people with corsair k60s or razer boards needing switch top removal.
Is there a reference to something in there? If yes I missed it. Why wouldn't they?
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 04:14:50 »
Is there a reference to something in there? If yes I missed it. Why wouldn't they?
He's saying that anyone that wants switch top removal slits is probably at the point where they're already building a custom board. Basically someone buying your average stock keyboard probably isn't interested enough in modding to use them.

I think the slits aren't included due to the added cost, both from machining and idiots accidentally destroying the boards.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 04:35:18 »
A hot swappable keyboard is even better. You can just pop the switches out and tinker with them and put them back. And you still get a metal mounting plate.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 09:53:31 »
Keyboard manufacturers don't want people who don't know what they're doing breaking anything.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 21:59:24 »
No idea. It is from 4 to 20 faces per switch hole, and it would require straying from Cherry spec (which might be exactly why they aren't, they aren't allowed?).

I think you're off-base on this. "Cherry spec" is no switch plate at all.

Offline atarione

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 22:04:56 »
because if they did noobs would break them trying to take them apart then try to rma

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 22:22:06 »
because if they did noobs would break them trying to take them apart then try to rma

^
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 12:26:35 »
If you could swap the switches out, why would you every buy another keeb again!? Maybe it's just for repeat business...
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u