Author Topic: Want To Join The Glorious Community  (Read 1503 times)

Offline WAV01

Want To Join The Glorious Community
« on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 13:13:16 »
Hello everyone. After many moons of searching the various markets and vendors across the webs I have come to the realization that nothing is out there for me. So I decided to make my own but now I need help since I want to be as well informed as possible. The closest keyboards that I have found that have most of the things im looking for are the Corsair K95 RGB Blue Switches, and the G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R RGB. The one that is "Perfect" for me is the K95 but the blue switch model has become a unicorn from what it seems. The G. SKILL one doesn't have enough G keys for me.
To make it easier to get the help I need here are my must haves FULL Keyboard (Nothing Less) Dedicated Media Keys (Volume Knob Prefered) Programmable Keys 6+ (12 or 16 Perfect) Blue Switches (Green Switches Prefered) Or Something Similiar RGB Programmable Keys (Can settle for just Blue Leds)
Those are my must have features anything else are just cherries on top anything less depends of what it is and if I find it worth it.
From the research I have made I created some Keyboard layouts that I feel good with.
http://imgur.com/a/F2sw3
That's the general layout I want with the programmable keys on either left before the alpha keys or on the right after the numpad. From here is where I ask for the help needed to complete the job. I found some decent CAD builder sites that give me the blueprint I need for the case and switch layer. But I want to know if there is a better method that wont involve spending hundreds on a case. Also is it possible to find a single PCB that will do the job or if I would need to get multiple or is hand wiring the only way to get it done. Plus If I could somehow add a knob to control the volume.
Thank you all in advance for the help I hope you can help me fulfill my dream board.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Want To Join The Glorious Community
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 03:54:23 »
1. Welcome to GH!

2. If you really want a K95 it looks like you can still buy one, if not I'm sure you can find one in the classifieds or on r/mm

3. Making a layered case out of acrylic shouldn't cost hundreds

4. Handwiring will probably be the cheaper method because you'll need a custom PCB for your layout, there are people here would could make one for you but the PCB design work won't be cheap

5. I'd just buy a K95 unless you feel like spending the extra money to go full custom  :thumb:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done