Author Topic: Keyboard Cables  (Read 8399 times)

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
Keyboard Cables
« on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 06:33:57 »
Hi everyone  :)

I initially just wanted to post a first impression on the "YARBO" (/ LING DONG SHOU ZUO made) cable I received today.
However, I thought I'd start a discussion about what, or better said, who's cables you like most and share you findings!  :)

So first, the cable I got today:

(Album with further shots (and a few comments): https://imgur.com/a/d5tgU )

I really like the looks of the cable which is why I bought it without hesitating. (here: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=532972063123&ft=t&toSite=main using taobaofocus.com as a proxy service.)
As it was on it's way, I researched YARBO a tiny bit, and even though it says "Germany Audiophile" on the connectors, it's (as far as I could find out) a Company based in Hong Kong which makes cables and connectors for audio gear.
The Studio "LING DONG SHOU ZUO" seems to use those connectors and modify them to hold USB plugs / cables. (My Chinese skills are as good as non existent, so don't take my "facts" as facts. I can merely order 饺子 and the likes. ;) )

It seems that during the modding, the mini-USB connector housing got a small abrasion (check pics in the linked album), which I'll probably try to polish away at some time. Other than that there's no issues I've encountered so far with this cable. It seems very solid, so I'll see how it holds up over time.

No direct comparison to PEXON and the likes yet then, however I'll probably still prefer PEXON (and other custom cable makers) due to the more readily available variety of colour options.

Anyone else got a "YARBO" cable? (And what do you think about it?)

cheers
-rioc

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Keyboard Cables
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 07:06:48 »
Definitely a nice looking cable.
One could only hope that pexon starts doing something similar. :p

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 07:07:41 »

pexon with those connector housings...  :o

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 07:45:59 »

pexon with those connector housings...  :o

I would not buy from anyone else ever again.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:30:16 »
It's a digital cable..  the audiophile moniker is a mismatch..  as it has nothing to do with audio or analog..

The LONG connectors are also very ill-suited, because it's really really easy to destroy the port..

USB ports especially the ones on the keyboard side, have very little solder holding the ankers.  and the soldered pins are less than a millimeter wide..

So they can easily be cracked given the additional leverage induced by this now long lever of the connector.

Put your hand down on it too hard by accident, and you can easily crack the traces or pins. Hurray, now you gotta resolder your $400 keyboard from scratch, FUN FUN FUN.

Overall,  aesthetics is good,  but in the end, it only demonstrates mechanical ignorance from the engineering perspective

The ONLY reason to have Long connectors, is to use it as a handle, for circumstances where it will be routinely connected and disconnected often, (guitar cables). In all of these situations, they're very sturdy plugs COMPLETELY UNLIKE USB or Microusb.

Have fun trying to fix one of these !! Hahahahaha

170238-0

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 06:06:02 »
For once I'm going to agree with TP. That connector ,while looking cool, is going to cause you problems.

Micro USB ports are really really bad for coming apart internally. The weight alone of that connector will cause undue stress on the connector and probably wear it out in not very much time at all. I had a WASD V2 which I used at work and plugged it in and removed the cable every day for about a year and I could feel it moving internally towards the end. You are better off with a mini US connector (like on most Korean customs) as the connections are usually more stable.

I use Pexon and Pexon alone :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 07:49:30 »
For once I'm going to agree with TP. That connector ,while looking cool, is going to cause you problems.

Micro USB ports are really really bad for coming apart internally. The weight alone of that connector will cause undue stress on the connector and probably wear it out in not very much time at all. I had a WASD V2 which I used at work and plugged it in and removed the cable every day for about a year and I could feel it moving internally towards the end. You are better off with a mini US connector (like on most Korean customs) as the connections are usually more stable.

Show Image

I use Pexon and Pexon alone :)
I've tried a couple other places but pexon has always been the best of all the cables I've had.
Also, thank you for the clarification. It's definitely true that while looking good it's just not suited for the purpose it seems.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 07:51:25 »
Yeah i didn't even think about it until TP said it about how the connector is larger if it's pulled out more. But then a guitar cable has got a very large bit going in that supports the heavier outside and obviously all the stress from the cable trailing as well.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin