Author Topic: Kaihua White Box Switches are fantastic.  (Read 19663 times)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
Kaihua White Box Switches are fantastic.
« on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 00:37:26 »
So I just got my Kaihua box white switches in from Novelkeys. They are absolutely phenomenal! They are VERY smooth for a production switch, and the feedback  from the click mechanism (at actuation and reset) is truly unique.

First and foremost, the click is like a firing pin, perhaps even sharper than that of Aristotle stemmed switches. No rattles here. Second, the action really does feel linear, but also not linear. You see, the spring for the click mechanism does have a touch of weight, but it isn't anywhere near the resistance I can feel in a brown switch. It's also more tactile than a brown switch, perhaps even more tactile then clears.

But how can a switch feel far smoother and far more linear than a tactile switch whilst also feeling more tactile? Well, that is because the tactility is conveyed through the reverberation of the stem when the spring pin slams against the wall of the slider, a sensation that I have never felt in a mechanical switch before. It really registers, and it does so so smoothly that it makes other switches feel spartan in comparison.

There are so many other things I could note that make this switch special, but this review is already long enough as it is. The point is, try them. You might find that you want to switch.

Offline dante

Re: Kaihua White Box Switches are fantastic.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 10:10:18 »
Do you happen to know if evangs (The Van Keyboards) J-Spacers will work in them?

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 13:50:04 »
Do you happen to know if evangs (The Van Keyboards) J-Spacers will work in them?
Definitely not. The sliders are one piece.

Offline n0velty

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 23:13:11 »
Does it suffer the same problem as the bronzes, where it registers before the click?

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 23:52:05 »
Does it suffer the same problem as the bronzes, where it registers before the click?
I don't understand how that would be a problem.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 08:57:10 »

Well I think the point of the click is to give feedback that the key has been pressed. If the keystroke actually registered before the click it would be odd. 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 10:34:56 »

Well I think the point of the click is to give feedback that the key has been pressed. If the keystroke actually registered before the click it would be odd.
There are very few switches that register and click in synchronisation, including all MX-like designs. 
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 15:27:56 »

There are very few switches that register and click in synchronisation, including all MX-like designs.

But don't  browns blues and greens register AFTER the click?  Once you overcome that force you can't help but travel further and actuate the switch.  Whereas it seems odd to be able to type on a clicky switch without having to make it click

Maybe I'm just over analyzing it. I have a bronze tester switch and liked it but I never soldered it to see how it actuated.  I really like that click pin on it.  I like the way it clicks the same every time and the same on the way down and on the return. 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 16:07:46 »
It's kind of the point of the Speed switches, though. (Not sure about Box.) I guess they aren't for everyone. I, for one, would probably like that, however; because my problem with strongly tactile switches is that I sometimes don't strike the key enough to overcome the peak.

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 16:35:15 »
My understanding is that the "Box" switches are the same speed switches as the Silver, Copper, and Thick Gold switches, but with the dust-resistant box sliders.

Offline Auk

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 17:01:32 »
My understanding is that the "Box" switches are the same speed switches as the Silver, Copper, and Thick Gold switches, but with the dust-resistant box sliders.

I'm not sure if these have the short actuation point of the speed switches, all the news reports and the Massdrop listing say the actuation point or pre-travel is 1.8mm (+/-0.3mm)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 18:21:31 »
But don't  browns blues and greens register AFTER the click?  Once you overcome that force you can't help but travel further and actuate the switch.  Whereas it seems odd to be able to type on a clicky switch without having to make it click

Maybe I'm just over analyzing it. I have a bronze tester switch and liked it but I never soldered it to see how it actuated.  I really like that click pin on it.  I like the way it clicks the same every time and the same on the way down and on the return. 
Actually, I have had the experience typing on clicky and tactiles switches that I can trigger the tactile event without actually registering the switch. It leads to alot of typos do to "false positives". This makes me distrust the tactility of the switches which slows me down and sometimes leads to more typos. It's a major pain in the ass for someone who types for a living. I will take a switch that actuated early over late any day.

I'm not sure if these have the short actuation point of the speed switches, all the news reports and the Massdrop listing say the actuation point or pre-travel is 1.8mm (+/-0.3mm)
I have tested them, and they do in fact actuated at 1.8mm. That's actually the reason why I bought them over the bronze, and also they are less wobbly due to the stabilization of the boxes.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2017, 18:23:55 by SpectreiiI »

Offline Auk

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 04:04:21 »
I have tested them, and they do in fact actuated at 1.8mm. That's actually the reason why I bought them over the bronze, and also they are less wobbly due to the stabilization of the boxes.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'd written of Kaihua/Kailh switches after associating them with cheap and gimmicky gamer keyboards, but it seems like the brand is ambitious enough to be more than just a low cost MX clone.

I do like the idea of of a switch with very early actuation, so I would like to try the copper, bronze and silver variants (both Cherry and Kailh) but the usual issues of wobble, scratchiness and too weak springs put me off. The box switches look intriguing as well, I wonder if there will be also be speed variants at some point...

It might be time to get a switch tester with all of these a.s.a.p.

VicareyG's Kailh speed switch buy is happening soon as well.

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 14:41:23 »
How is the sound of the click compared to an ALPS switch? Also, are there any videos with these switches in them?

Finally, what are the spring weights, and are the springs changeable without desoldering?

Thanks!
Here's the WW1 Flying Ace standing beside his Sopwith Camel

Offline Altis

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:24:11 »
How is the sound of the click compared to an ALPS switch? Also, are there any videos with these switches in them?

Finally, what are the spring weights, and are the springs changeable without desoldering?

Thanks!

Came across this from Manofinterests on YouTube...

They sound quite nice and crispy to me. Much nicer than MX Blue sound, more in line with Alps or even clicky Space Invaders.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 03:06:17 »

Thanks!

They sound quite nice and crispy to me. Much nicer than MX Blue sound, more in line with Alps or even clicky Space Invaders.
Definitely sound nice.
Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 04:20:46 »

Thanks!

I'd say it doesn't really sound like either xD . But it definitely sounds a lot better than MX blue! I'd love to deck a board out with these and do a review on them sometime :)

Offline dante

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 08:52:14 »
I'd say it doesn't really sound like either xD . But it definitely sounds a lot better than MX blue! I'd love to deck a board out with these and do a review on them sometime :)

I would love a review that compares the Box Whites and the revised 2017 "reduced wobble" Matias Click switches to see how they compare against the NMB.

I'm going to guess NMB will still be the king but would be curious how close these other options are.

Offline flashquark

• Flashquark.com | Mech Key Depot
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 14:14:17 »
I made a video that goes into a little more detail about the timing of the Bronze switch's actuation/click. While the actuation does indeed occur first, the force required to make it actuate is heavy enough that I think it shouldn't be an issue for most people. When I get a chance, I may make another video to show how the Bronze switch compares to other normal clicky switches.

https://flashquark.com | Keyboards, Keycaps, Switches, and other MK accessories.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 16:27:14 »

I would love a review that compares the Box Whites and the revised 2017 "reduced wobble" Matias Click switches to see how they compare against the NMB.

I'm going to guess NMB will still be the king but would be curious how close these other options are.
Where can I get 100 or so of these? Definitely would do a vid on them if I could get them.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 16:32:44 »

Where can I get 100 or so of these? Definitely would do a vid on them if I could get them.

Good video.  I'll have to try some of these out soon

Offline Auk

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 16:46:20 »
I made a video...

That clears that up then  :thumb:

How wobbly and smooth are the Speed versions vs the Box switches?

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 18:10:05 »

I've already got the white boxes and my revised matias clicks will be here in three weeks. Expect a video shortly after.

Novelkeys has them.

Offline Trente

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 02:31:27 »
I am interested in this white box switch because of the very pleasant sound but I got some question about it. I noticed that this switch is like a linear switch with clicking noise, but I am wondering how tactile it feel before the actuation? Also, I am wondering how this feels compared to the bronze speed switch (seems also a linear switch with click bar).

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 03:50:14 »
I am interested in this white box switch because of the very pleasant sound but I got some question about it. I noticed that this switch is like a linear switch with clicking noise, but I am wondering how tactile it feel before the actuation? Also, I am wondering how this feels compared to the bronze speed switch (seems also a linear switch with click bar).

It's less tactile than MX Blues for sure. More on the level of MX Browns tbh. But it's a nice clean little bump so it's a lot better than MX Browns for sure too.

They are pretty much identical feeling to the Bronze's but even a little less wobbly.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 05:02:36 »

Yet such switches exist. (NEC Ovals come to mind.) \

But why does it matter? To notice such a miniscule delay in actual use, you'd have to be typing so s-l-o-w-l-y you'd never get anything written.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 05:21:53 »
I'm not so sure they're less tactile than MX blue. The dip is definitely sharper, at the least.

Offline Petch

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 06:52:34 »
Anyone got some Devlin keycaps and BOX switches? Do they fit?

Offline garbo

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 10:59:36 »
Anyone got some Devlin keycaps and BOX switches? Do they fit?

Yep, both Q and K series keycaps fit OK on them.

Offline Trente

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 22:54:35 »
It's less tactile than MX Blues for sure. More on the level of MX Browns tbh. But it's a nice clean little bump so it's a lot better than MX Browns for sure too.

Thanks for the review, glad to know about this. Since I am looking for a switch with some tactile bump (one similar to topre would be fine) while having the clicky mechanism, I think I would go for a small batch to make a small gamepad board for a try.

Also wondering if anyone tried to compare this with some recently coming up or popular switch like aristotle/gatistotle or otumue ice clikcy blue or even some alps switch like to classic alps blue or the newer matias click. I would love to know how the switch feel and sound compared to each other.

Offline SpaceCatDesign

• www.SpaceC.at
    • SpaceCat Design
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 12:22:19 »
the sound they make is very HNNGGGG-worthy!  :p :p

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 17:24:52 »
I'm not so sure they're less tactile than MX blue. The dip is definitely sharper, at the least.
MX Blues definitely still have more tactility imo, although it does have a bit of an unclean saw-tooth feel unlike the Kailhs.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 21:28:02 »

AFAIK they actuate at the click.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 01:15:08 »

Negative. I've been sent some force curves by Kaihua. No surprise of course, this is inherent to switches where the clicker and actuator are separate pieces.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 08:15:57 »

Negative. I've been sent some force curves by Kaihua. No surprise of course, this is inherent to switches where the clicker and actuator are separate pieces.

It's not considered noticeable is it? lol

Offline Bella_Hwang

• * Commercial Vendor
    • www.kailhswitch.com
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:50:28 »
yeah,kailh box switch is intriguing
Dongguan City Kaihua Electronics Co,Ltd

http://www.kailhswitch.com
http://www.kailh.com
Email:sales12@kailh.com