Author Topic: Your first keyboard! A thread for sharing your humble beginnings  (Read 28945 times)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Your first keyboard! A thread for sharing your humble beginnings
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 06:36:08 »

My first two boards, CM QFR w/ MX Blues and a SteelSeries 7G. Replaced the keycaps on both with some eBay ones, but that was about it. That was about 5 years ago.

Currently:

Have a couple more boards on the way as well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 September 2017, 06:39:10 by dgneo »

Offline vijucat

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 09:11:42 »
What are those mousepad-like thingies you use for tenting the Diverge 3? I'm doing a trial of a Diverge 3 and I'm really liking it, but I need something more sophisticated than my kid's pillow to achieving the tenting  :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 09:33:09 »
Those are cut tennis balls just from looking at the photo.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 09:37:42 »
I really had to go digging for an old photo. I rocked the k70 with cherry browns for quite a while. I had JUST gotten my pok3r in this photo.

183999-0

Now? I don't have any decent photos. But you can always check my sig  ^-^
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 11:43:20 »
I really had to go digging for an old photo. I rocked the k70 with cherry browns for quite a while. I had JUST gotten my pok3r in this photo.

(Attachment Link)

That is a cozy little space you have there!  :thumb:

I had actually forgotten about this thread, but, I just updated the look of my current-end-game recently so might as well show it off. Still an Ori60 with Box White switches.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 11:50:13 »

(Attachment Link)

I had actually forgotten about this thread, but, I just updated the look of my current-end-game recently so might as well show it off. Still an Ori60 with Box White switches.

Show Image

That's actually my home desk from a few years ago. I've updated quite a bit since.... and moved to linux full time ;)

And I see we're actually building the exact same 60% SA Dasher board. Mine is going in a low profile royal glam black walnut case. Should be a really interesting combo.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 15:19:06 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

That's actually my home desk from a few years ago. I've updated quite a bit since.... and moved to linux full time ;)

And I see we're actually building the exact same 60% SA Dasher board. Mine is going in a low profile royal glam black walnut case. Should be a really interesting combo.

Box Whites are divine, you will love it!

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 19:51:05 »
First is a Razer Black Widow Stealth...

Quickly going down the rabbit hole towards building my own custom board. Haven't decided where I'm headed yet, but I gravitate towards the 68 key option.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 20:05:45 »
First childhood computer: FK2001 with that built-in cover

First mech as an adult: Leopold FC200R with MX browns

Now: Custom made boards of my own design

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 05:20:30 »
I got into Mechanical keyboards around late 2011 and around then found out about geekhack. My first Keyboard was obtained from craigslist, a beige TKL Filco with Mx Browns.
Don't have a picture of it, and not sure what it is about Filco, but their browns feel better than other brands... or is it just me?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 December 2017, 05:24:12 by Rinsaku »
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline Moufinure

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 14:31:35 »
Oh boy...
I've always been on a quest to find a good keyboard to type on. I went through a awful lot of different domes keyboards but I never was satisfied with what I've got.

Once, I was reading about a dude who had a IBM Model M, and bragged about being able to gorilla fist his keyboard and still having it survive!
I then heard about mech keyboards, I went on Amazon and bought actually two Steelseries 6GV2 (just wanted one, but I made an order mistake and got 2), that was my first mech experience, and I never looked back again!

Since, I've got Topre RF, most of the main Cherry MX types, ALPS... and I recently got myself an HHKB. Yeah!
Notice that I still own all the mechs that I've got so far...
2x Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MJ2 MX Blue FR ISO | Filco MJ2 MX Brown FR ISO | Topre RealForce 105UB | Unicomp BS | KBC Poker II MX Red | Cherry G80-3000 MX Black | Matias Click Pro

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 14:37:16 »
First: Ducky Shine 2 MX-Brown

Now: Some metal scrap from korea and a rubberdome from Japan :(
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline anode

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 15:24:18 »
My first mechanical was a 1987 Model M my friend rescued from an abandoned school in North Carolina back around 2010 or so. The school had left all of its IT and computer lab stuff in a locked barn out back, but you could sneak in a window that someone had broken. Piles of old servers and various Mac workstations were sitting there untouched, and all were sadly scrapped a few years later when the school was demolished. He mailed the keyboard up to me and I used it exclusively until some time last year.

His friend also stole an Apple IIGS from there at the same time, which his mom threw out for no reason a week later.
Alps good

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 17:57:25 »
My first mechanical keyboard was a Corsair K95 with MX Red... but my first real mechanical keyboard is my Sentraq 60X:
-Dana

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 11:26:51 »
ARE THERE ANY TYPEWRITERS HERE?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 22:08:17 »
ARE THERE ANY TYPEWRITERS HERE?

I got a typewriter from goodwill! Do you have one you could post?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 15:14:59 »
My first mechanical keyboard was a Corsair K95 with MX Red... but my first real mechanical keyboard is my Sentraq 60X:
Show Image

I too have a purple 60% sentraq plate on my charcoal keys. I love the color pop. Using plates for accent colors is underrated imo.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 18:18:38 »
Ducky shine 4 silver w/ cherry MX red - still using it now. Going to be selling it soon since I have a GMMK 104 coming and I can't stand the mx red for anything but gaming

https://imgur.com/a/icnZK

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 18:21:03 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Love the dasher/dancer sets wish I was around when they dropped :)
Do the box switches make the keycaps feel more stable/less wiggle? or is it purely to keep dirt out

Offline 4pcx

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 19:31:43 »
First Keyboard, came with the family's Adam Computer.  http://oldcomputers.net/adam.html

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/wp-content/gallery/adam-coleco-vision-family-computer-system-boxed/IMG_1710.jpg

nice and clackey as i recall...  so was the printer! I learned how loud the printer really was when I printed something at 2am waking my father! OOPS!!
Current:
 @ Work & Home Office: Kinesis Advantage
 @ Home: Poker 3 RGB CM-Blues  Soon: Vortex Core CM-Browns   Next: ? JD-40, JD-45, ErgoDox?

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 20:36:59 »
-Dana

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 01:54:07 »

This was my first mechanical keyboard. A great little and fully custom MA42 keyboard (thanks Joey Quinn for the inspiration!). Maybe some day I'll get to making another.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 03:10:08 »
My first keyboard was part of the pc: a CoCo2.  For those not old enough, it is a Tandy/Radio Shack Colour Computer 2.
It is still in the original box with the cassette tape 'drive', dot matrix printer, joystick, some cartridge games and books at my father's place so I don't have a pick of it, but here is an equivalent from http://ianmav.customer.netspace.net.au/trs80/.

The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 07:41:52 »
First KB was a qfr with browns, kinda miss it.

Currently Using SGI Bigfoot at work, with dampened creams:
No pic avail, :travolta:

And at home Im using my 910:

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 10:40:35 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Love the dasher/dancer sets wish I was around when they dropped :)
Do the box switches make the keycaps feel more stable/less wiggle? or is it purely to keep dirt out

The box switch eliminates almost all wobble! I've said it once and I'll say it again, these switches are hard-endgame material.
I haven't wanted to type on another board after I built this one.

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 11:19:20 »
A Das!

Long gone.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 15:44:43 »
It wasn't my first keyboard, but it was only the second non-basic keyboard I ever bought brand new (after Logitech UltraX). Noppoo Choc Mini in summer 2012.

I actually haven't bought another keyboard from a store ever since.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 22:19:16 »
First board was a filco tkl w/browns. I found geek hack when I saw a red esc key and it's been down hill ever since.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 11:25:40 »
First keyboard was the Apple Extended II, and it's still one of my favorites to this day.
(Attachment Link)

Current keyboard(s)... All? The one I'm currently typing on is a Clueboard 66% with SA Penumbra + Zealios.
An Apple Extended Keyboard II was my first keyboard, too!  I had one that was bought new with a Macintosh SE/30.  The keyboard dwarfed that little computer.  The keyboard cost about $150 new back in 1990 or so.  I still have two of those keyboards, but not the original one I had.

My current keyboards are a Cherry G80-3000 with brown switches and Matt3o's Dev/TTY keycaps for work, and a Mistel Sleeker with brown switches on my iMac at home.

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 13:08:47 »
My first mechanical keyboard:

A Smith Corona with Acer switches.   

Current:

Depends on the location. 

Home office: Unicomp Classic

Home bedroom: IBM Model M circa 1994

Work office:
At the moment I'm temporarily using a Logitech K840 as I took my previous board home to desolder the switches to replace them.
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline Altis

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 00:50:23 »
First one I remember that we had for the family computer around '92 was a rubber-dome Model M clone, probably Keytronic E03601QL. I seem to recall it being quite nice as I was disappointed when it was replaced with the next computer (and no idea why it was).

First I ever got for myself was a Logitech wireless that came in a combo with the MX700 mouse. It wasn't as bad as rubber domes get, but it was still bad enough.

My first mech boards were the BlackWidow Ultimate (MX Blue, 2012) and Das Keyboard S Ultimate (MX Brown)... almost the same time, so I'm not sure which was first.

Now I rotate a lot but I gravitate towards my QFR with MX Reds since it works well for gaming and look great. For typing I usually bust out a 45g Topre board (87U, HHKB).

QFR is the black one (Old pics, top is how the keyboards are currently though... Looks better in person as you can see the bright red backplate between the keycaps of the QFR):

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 00:52:47 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline seville57

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 02:45:18 »
My first mech k - board was a pink Zowie Celeritas Pro Cherry MX Brown with ISO/Nordic layout, bought for some years ago. Still have it.

Now: Some Ducky Shine 3, 4 and a pink Ducky One + Ducky One RGB YOTG Cherry MX Black.

Ducky Shine 3 with Royal Navy keycaps set.

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 05:07:32 by seville57 »

Offline bitzie

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 01:10:49 »
First "mechanical" was a Logitech G413. (Not my pic; I can't be bothered to dig out my G413 just for one pic.)

Very quickly got my first actual mechanical: the Vortex Core with MX Browns that I pretty much immediately put DSA Honeywell on.

Right now, after a couple grab bags from PMK, here's my Core.

Currently waiting for a BananaSplit V2 pcb to get here so I can actually do my first build.

Offline Chevy_Monsenhor

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 11:47:27 »
New to the forums, so hello everyone!

First mech: Nixeus Moda V2 with Kailh Blues, replaced my long esteemed Dell L100 (which i still have as a spare).

Current mechs: ABNT Model M (in desperate need of a new cable), terminal RJ45 ANSI Model M (which i exchanged in a local forum for the Mantis GK2 in the picture, hasn't arrived yet) and a Obins Anne Pro with Gateron Browns (currently being held at the customs for tax deduction).
Keyboards: Leopold FC900R (Pinks), Logitech G613
Mice: Glorious Model O (Glossy), Logitech G305

Offline letsfixitinpost

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 12:27:27 »
My first board was a KBD V60+, which I outfitted with some blank Galax-C caps (I still use this board with my gaming laptop):

Show Image

My second and current board is a WASD V2 with a custom Avid editing layout, heavily inspired by Hyperfuse SA:

Show Image

Im typing on the more colorful OG v2 avid editing layout right now.  I love the color theme for yours.  The purple is perfect. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 February 2018, 12:35:09 by letsfixitinpost »

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 12:57:15 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:18:46 by Khers »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 16:49:01 »
If I go way back, I suppose the very first mechanical keyboard I used was the Amiga 1000 keyboard. I gave it a go about a year ago, and the switches feel like crap: extremely mushy, not that I noticed back then.

My family also had various PCs, so whatever came with those. I have a still from a home video here, but I'm not sure what computer that is; it's not the Packard Bell I remember. Absolutely clueless on the keyboard.

As far as current mechs go, I ordered both a Rosewill RK-9000I (MX Blues) and CM QuickFire TK (MX Reds) at the same time. Those lasted me about three years until I got really tired of MX Blues and ordered a couple Model Ms. They're just stock, so I won't bother posting pictures.

Currently, at home, I've been switching between a V80 with TEX case and Matias switches and an M65-A with Zealios.

I'm not sure if a keyboard cake counts. My mom made this for my brother's 13th birthday.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 17:55:21 »
My very first keyboard came integrated into my very first home computer, the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. Crap Stackpole switches, but nice, thick double shot ABS keycaps.

My first conscious purchase of a separate mechanical keyboard would have been around 2002 or so, when I ordered a NOS IBM Model M Keyboard (42H1292) from a seller on eBay. I still have that keyboard to this day.

Currently, I am using a WASD CODE TKL with MX Clears at home, and a Filco Majestouch-2 TKL with MX Blacks and Filco spherical (white on dark brown SA) keycaps at work.

Some of my current favorites are my KMAC, my LZ-GH, my GH60, and of course, my JD45.

KMAC

LZ-GH

KMAC
GH60 (Rev.B Prototype)
JD40

JD45
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 16:09:55 »
I got into Mechanical keyboards around late 2011 and around then found out about geekhack. My first Keyboard was obtained from craigslist, a beige TKL Filco with Mx Browns.
Don't have a picture of it, and not sure what it is about Filco, but their browns feel better than other brands... or is it just me?

It's not just you, I kind of feel the same.

But I'm not sure if it's a brand thing or more like different batches of Cherry switches.  I own a Filco MX Red and Das MX Brown from 5 years ago and I haven't come across any new boards with MX Red or MX Brown that's as smooth as my old ones.  Maybe the QC was better back then when mechanical switches weren't as popular, these days they probably just pump out quantity over quality.

Hopefully after the new tooling it was be as smooth as it was back in the days.

Show Image

This was my first mechanical keyboard. A great little and fully custom MA42 keyboard (thanks Joey Quinn for the inspiration!). Maybe some day I'll get to making another.

Which mouse is this?  I miss the time when it was easier to find quality egg shaped mouse.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline KPrepublic

• * Vendor
    • KPrepublic
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 19:59:07 »
188787-0

188789-1

my beginning is this. Durgod Cherry red switch.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:08:46 by KPrepublic »

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:06:53 »
Razer blackwidow chroma with these keycaps but i have moved long and far in only a year my current boards are a mk fission with mx clears with thick pbt sideprint keycaps a pok3r le with nature whites and thick light grey pbt caps side print a 1999 model m a kb v80 with matias clicks and a AEK 2 with salmon or orange alps idk
I am using my pok3r le right now 
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:42:45 by nogoodnames444 »

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:08:36 »
The thread title doesn't say your first mechanical keyboard...  :p

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:37:26 »
The thread title doesn't say your first mechanical keyboard...  :p
Oh yee

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 23:10:11 »

Show Image

Which mouse is this?  I miss the time when it was easier to find quality egg shaped mouse.

Hmm, it's a Logitech V470 Bluetooth mouse. It was good but broke about a year ago. Was a good on-the-go one and the shape was nice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline UnFocused

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 08:28:47 »
My very first keyboard came integrated into my very first home computer, the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. Crap Stackpole switches, but nice, thick double shot ABS keycaps.

The TI was also my first computer!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 17:30:13 »
Almost 10 years ago, I decided to splash out on a high quality keyboard, and narrowed down my choices to a Das Keyboard III, and a Unicomp Endurapro. The trackpoint nudged me towards the Unicomp, and I even joined an small forum of keyboard fans to ask a question about the layout options.

I guess it's fitting that my first acquisition of 2018 was a TEX Yoda II, which I've modded up with Pale Navy BOX switches + GMK caps :)

Offline phlm

• Part of HHKB clan.
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 17:43:40 »
I've been lurking around here, now that my first real keyboard is in the mail I created account. Skipped all the MX variations and went straight to the Topre. :)
189290-0

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 17:57:34 »
I've been lurking around here, now that my first real keyboard is in the mail I created account. Skipped all the MX variations and went straight to the Topre. :)
(Attachment Link)

What a wonderful start to mechanical boards (way to start with your dessert lol)

Offline phlm

• Part of HHKB clan.
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 18:01:42 »

What a wonderful start to mechanical boards (way to start with your dessert lol)

Haha, yes. I am waiting for Tokyo60 to see what comes out of it. I will have just enough time to enjoy in my HHKB and then I will look for some Kailh Box clicky action. But Topre switches are really what I was after. (tried Type-S and compared it to keyboard with MX Blacks I had borrowed from a friend)

Offline Altis

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 17:30:32 »
Keytronic Q03601QLPS2 in beige.

This is what I believe to be the same as keyboard that we got with our first family computer in 1992.

It is a rubber dome keyboard, but it's actually quite a good one. I'm a big fan of Topre and this doesn't give the same sensation or sound as that, but as far as membrane keyboards go, it's pretty good. Sounds alright, feels decent, and actually has a pretty nice overall build. The keycaps in particular seem solid with crisp legends. The keystrokes actually feel rather heavy, probably around 50g or a bit more. Certainly heavier than HHKB or 87U 45g Topres or 45g Cherry MX. The weighting is surprisingly close to the Model M with buckling springs. I'll see how this changes as the keyboard breaks in.

WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)