Author Topic: HHKB: Installing the JTK Sliders  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Hordak

HHKB: Installing the JTK Sliders
« on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 11:32:21 »
Stupid question, but I was wondering if you had any pointers on installing the JTK slider in a HHKB. The factory sliders seem to have some silicon grease on them, so what is the proper method to install these? Should I just get some grease on my fingers and go once around the cylinder, I guess? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: HHKB: Installing the JTK Sliders
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 18:16:27 »
When I installed JTK sliders in my HHKB I just brushed lube onto the rails of the slider & on the HHKB housing where the rails slide in.

If you lube the cylinder it might get messy/dirty since that part is outside of the board.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 20:05:50 »
Don't lube the cylinders, only the slider rails. I would use appropriate thin lube, preferably a krytox blend.
keyboards.

Offline numerofour

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 01:49:58 »
You can search on youtube "topre to mx sliders" and watch how "skiwithpete" does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hordak

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 08:47:27 »
Thanks for your help! That video was really useful. From watching it I realized, that silicon grease would not be optimal, so I ordered Krytox GPL 205 0.5oz. Pricey, but oh wow it feels awesome. Though after finishing with the whole procedure, I realized one other thing, and that is that the Topre keycaps don't fit on the JTK sliders :)) So now I have a beautiful black HHKB with yellow JTK sliders, Hypersphere dampers and lubed with Krytox, but no keycaps to complete the build - rofl. Guess I'll have to shell this for a bit longer till a nice, HHKB-compatible set comes along, which turns out to be harder than anticipated.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 08:50:28 »
So if you weren't going to use MX keycaps why even mess with the JTK sliders?? :confused:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 09:19:25 »
yea.. what?  You install jtk sliders specifically because you want to use mx compatible keycaps!  If you don't have a set you want to use, and don't really care about updating your keycaps, go back to the stock sliders immediately and use your topre caps.  stock sliders are better than jtk sliders in every way possible.
keyboards.

Offline Hordak

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 02:51:46 »
What can I say, I just liked the idea of having more options; especially with PFU scaling down their keycap production.

Are the JTK sliders really worse than the stock ones? I got one from the second batch. I remember Bunny saying that with those they fixed the alignment issues.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 August 2017, 03:03:51 by Hordak »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 06:45:33 »
They're still worse.  Scratchier, and too narrow which leads to added wobble.  They're really only a solution if you're intent on getting mx compatible keycaps on there, NOT because you're looking for a better tying experience.   :thumb:
keyboards.

Offline teraflame

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 10:51:08 »
Buying mx sliders never made sense to me. The whole reason to get topre was for the feels right? But now you're sacrificing it for pure aesthetics. Just get a different board to put all your fancy keycaps on.
Rubber in domes

Offline Hordak

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 02:33:44 »
They're still worse.  Scratchier, and too narrow which leads to added wobble.  They're really only a solution if you're intent on getting mx compatible keycaps on there, NOT because you're looking for a better tying experience.   :thumb:

True. I just put the original sliders back in and noticed that they are a tighter fit; they seem to be bigger in diameter.

This time I lubed the mount rails in the housing instead of each slider seperately, and that was way faster and made less of a mess. Now it feels really smooth and the sound is even more dampened than on my stock Type-S. Although I do notice the reduced key travel introduced by the Hypersphere rings.