Author Topic: Worst keyboard you ever used, ever?  (Read 31748 times)

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
Re: Worst keyboard you ever used, ever?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:09:49 »
HHKB /savage

No but, really, Dell is pumping out these new light gray chiclet-style "keyboards". We have them at the office and it barely manages to register keystrokes. So backspace is the key used most on those ones. What ware they thinking at Dell? Also, why don't my colleagues complain?

Haha, I tried to convince my school to get Cherry G80-3000's for our lab (new school)
They considered it for a bit and still bought god damn chiclets, half of them have died in less in a year.. :p

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:11:22 »
HHKB /savage

No but, really, Dell is pumping out these new light gray chiclet-style "keyboards". We have them at the office and it barely manages to register keystrokes. So backspace is the key used most on those ones. What ware they thinking at Dell? Also, why don't my colleagues complain?

Haha, I tried to convince my school to get Cherry G80-3000's for our lab (new school)
They considered it for a bit and still bought god damn chiclets, half of them have died in less in a year.. :p

I gave up on my work. I just bring my HHKB and my Avior 7000 and call it a day. Most colleagues complain about "wrist pain". Yeah, not surprising if you have the feeling that you need to hammer down each key to get it to register.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:15:38 »
Seeing how abused and icky some of my coworkers' keyboards get, I get the impression that the keyboard just isn't something they give thought to, even if their job is something intrinsically tied to constant use of a keyboard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:20:47 »
HHKB /savage

I gave up on my work. I just bring my HHKB and my Avior 7000 and call it a day. Most colleagues complain about "wrist pain". Yeah, not surprising if you have the feeling that you need to hammer down each key to get it to register.

You know what, I've given up too, I'm going to start bringing my board for school, I can probably get sick looking at those keycaps, shiny, greasy and full of food crumbs...How are you liking your HHKB? I'm about to get one.  :cool:

Our technology workshop runs Nvidia Quadros and colour calibrated monitors and tenths and thousands of dollars of wood-working equipment, it was given a huge budget but yep, Logitech K120, makes sense.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline Prothrin

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 04:00:39 »
I would say probably any foldable silicone keyboard...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:27:51 »
HHKB /savage

You know what, I've given up too, I'm going to start bringing my board for school, I can probably get sick looking at those keycaps, shiny, greasy and full of food crumbs...How are you liking your HHKB? I'm about to get one.  :cool:

Our technology workshop runs Nvidia Quadros and colour calibrated monitors and tenths and thousands of dollars of wood-working equipment, it was given a huge budget but yep, Logitech K120, makes sense.

There's 3 HHKBs in this household and they are all holding up great. I use my white HHKB at the office as a daily driver. At home, I use my 87UB 55g, so basically 50% time typing on each.

Honestly, I could go either way as my daily driver. No to be elitist about it, but for me Topre is endgame for longer periods of typing (and MX for gaming).

If you are considering the HHKB, you could also look at the Leopold FC660C, with the difference being that the Leopold is plate-mounted as opposed to case mounted in the HHKB, and a dedicated arrow cluster and, IIRC, page up / down.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 18:30:52 »
HHKB /savage

There's 3 HHKBs in this household and they are all holding up great. I use my white HHKB at the office as a daily driver. At home, I use my 87UB 55g, so basically 50% time typing on each.

Honestly, I could go either way as my daily driver. No to be elitist about it, but for me Topre is endgame for longer periods of typing (and MX for gaming).

If you are considering the HHKB, you could also look at the Leopold FC660C, with the difference being that the Leopold is plate-mounted as opposed to case mounted in the HHKB, and a dedicated arrow cluster and, IIRC, page up / down.

After a long discussion on a thread I started "HHKB VS 660C Battle of the ultimate Topre" I ask around and got some opinions from people who have tried both boards, I came down to the HHKB Type-S vs the tandard Pro 2, the main reasoning was probably the layout, I also like the look and how it sounded and the whole package was simply more attractive to me.

The 660C is actually more expensive than the HHKB Pro2 when shipped to my country...
$60 more in fact...

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline ullr

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 22:20:55 »
In recent memory, actually the HHKB JP

I don’t know if it’s similar to the normal HHKB but the switches felt like mushy linears, the Dell rubber dome in my room (the one notorious for being ****) had a better feeling. It is so light it feels like it would blow away in a stiff breeze.

Not falling for the Topre meme again

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 07:14:26 »
Dell KB216!

They provided those to us at the office along with DELL laptops and monitors, by far the worst keyboard I ever used!

180236-0

Took me 3 days to order a 10keyless with MX Blue switches to replace it with!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 15:39:42 »
Funny enough I remember grade 10 keyboarding class, we had those iMac gen 3(?) keyboards.

The keyboard itself look amazing, however it would lock and bind on off centre strikes so it would be really annoying when you try to type fast (keyboarding class) and the keys would lock itself.

180250-0

You'd assume for "keyboarding class" they use nicer keyboards.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 15:41:36 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 17:24:13 »
Funny enough I remember grade 10 keyboarding class, we had those iMac gen 3(?) keyboards.

The keyboard itself look amazing, however it would lock and bind on off centre strikes so it would be really annoying when you try to type fast (keyboarding class) and the keys would lock itself.

(Attachment Link)

Yep I think those are like the ones I mentioned.

As someone else noted about them is that the rubber seems to slow to come back up.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:28:59 »
Worst mechanical keyboard I ever used was the first one I tried, the POS "Black Widow" by Razer.  Their products are all junk, mice junk, everything junk.   

Offline mogo

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:51:00 »

(Attachment Link)

They definitely have crap rubber that only gets worse and mushier over time, but I haven't had the off-center catching happen. But if it's a keyboard in a high school, it's not surprising to think that they were gummed up with soda/crumbs/whatever other horrifying contaminants teenagers can pack into them.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:22:15 »

(Attachment Link)

Interesting. I actually pretty liked those boards back in the day. But I wasn't particularly into boards back then.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:36:54 »
I tried one out yesterday. Mushy, binds on off-centre presses, key surface is too big ... and it collects dust and crud in a transparent tray.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:29:26 »
I'm going to say this one:

That's right, the keys were actually weird rectangular buttons you had to essentially push straight down, and which you couldn't touch-type on.

The 4A was a bit better.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:35:49 by Snarfangel »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 00:44:01 »
Show Image

Show Image

That's right, the keys were actually weird rectangular buttons you had to essentially push straight down, and which you couldn't touch-type on.

The 4A was a bit better.
Jeez, the 4A was BETTER?! Oo
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:47:56 »
The Dell L700?  Looks like this or like it.  Shipped with Dell Pentium computers in early 2000's.  Every key rattles, makes horrible noise, is wobbly, and mushy.

Nobody wanted to use a 60% keyboard at work, so I replaced the one I use with a Cherry MX 3.0, a vast improvement.

KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:48:40 »
Worst keyboard ever was the HHKB..

Offline ardentdreg

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 22:43:18 »
Show Image

Show Image

The 4A was a bit better.
Jeez, the 4A was BETTER?! Oo

I should have appreciated the improved 4/a keyboard more as a kid! The TI joysticks made up for it.
The bottom of the flare of the base of the joystick wasn't low enough to stay below the surface of the joystick housing, somehow exactly the right size to nick the side of the housing, and sharp. Since the base was only like 3" wide, the meat by the base of the thumb of your off hand (holding the joystick base) would inevitably come within hole-punch distance in the heat of Parsec or Miner 2049'er battle and then your brother would win and you'd have to sulk off and tend your literal wounds.

Anyway, keyboards. Whatever that ubiquitous $5 Dell brick that Dell tossed in for free with every computer or monitor or whatever whether you wanted it or not until like 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure they used those things as shipping box filler. My employer had heaps of those things hoarded away. I'd have one destroyed, unusable, in a couple of months. The keycaps ran on these tubular sockets that would gall, and before you know it the keys you used most would bind halfway down. I hated those keyboards, so I didn't let that stop me, keep pushing through the creeeeaaak and they'd CRACK down sounding like you'd just split the entire keyboard. Which was cathartic, until realizing that nothing broke, which was the second most disappointing thing about that keyboard, the first being the endless supply of identical replacements.

It's totally correct that membrane, or otherwise keyless keyboards are undeniably more awful on a one-on-one comparison. Pretty much the (in)tangible embodiment of malevolent design intent. However... Imagine Gauntlet. Ye olde video game Gauntlet. I fought those Dell bricks like an unstoppable wave of Gauntlet skeletons granted the ability to shoot the food. An insanely terrible, legitimately useless keyboard would have been refreshing, like a nice boss battle. Skeletons are the worst.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 11:27:19 »
Okay, how bout the Logitech Wave?  I actually do like the wave profile and find it ergonomic, but if you missed the center which often happened the key cap would bind up.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline shinze

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 11:51:26 »
A ZX81 its only a membrane, hard as wood…

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5X en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline mogo

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 13:09:02 »
Okay, how bout the Logitech Wave?  I actually do like the wave profile and find it ergonomic, but if you missed the center which often happened the key cap would bind up.

The Wave is on my "Best non-mechanical board" list. I still miss it.

Show Image

ye gods. Is there any feedback at all? A bubble? Or is this just something you stub your fingers on and hope it's working?

Offline shinze

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 14:52:29 »

The Wave is on my "Best non-mechanical board" list. I still miss it.

Show Image

ye gods. Is there any feedback at all? A bubble? Or is this just something you stub your fingers on and hope it's working?
Not a single bump or click feeling, only finger muscle and extreme patience to type any basic program.

Offline ollir

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 16:49:54 »
I was thinking of something with Cherry MY's but then I remembered this.

Never make any mistaeks.

Offline mogo

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 18:51:56 »
I was thinking of something with Cherry MY's but then I remembered this.
Now that is a letter of hatred.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 19:32:57 »
I have never used this work of art, but it probably deserves an honorable mention here:

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 21:32:41 »
I have never used this work of art, but it probably deserves an honorable mention here:

Imagine the media release:
Introducing the JiZZ Magic Wand.
The ultimate keen for the ultimate wanker!
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 23:25:14 »
surface pro board:

followed closely by just about every mac keyboard post alps.
-Dana

Offline mogo

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:23:30 »
surface pro board:
Show Image

followed closely by just about every mac keyboard post alps.
Show Image

I actually don't mind the aluminum apple kb's. The short-throw scissor switch isn't bad (or is it butterfly? I dunno the difference :X).

Offline dante

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:37:01 »
I don't remember the name of it or what mechanism it used, but it was a one piece dumb terminal with a phone and 300bps modem built in.

It was at least 100g of stiff mush and the worst keyboard I've ever typed on.

I used it as a teenager in the 80's to find love in all the wrong places.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:38:53 by dante »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:37:40 »
Show Image

hmmmmm, no need to say more.

my vote is also for these roll-up silicone sheets...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:45:40 »
surface pro board:
I think it belongs on this list only because the key surface is ultra-slippery.
Otherwise, chiclet or not is a matter of preference.

The tactility, stability and key travel isn't as bad as some other low-profile keyboards I have encountered and Microsoft has (finally) given up on the ridiculous idea of reducing the keyboard by 1/2 key on the right side so that ISO Enters would get super-slim -- something which Apple still persists in doing.

Apple's chiclet keyboards are at least quite tactile, stable and have frictiony surfaces.
I came across an older white MacBook (not "Pro") the other day: it had slippery keys though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:47:44 by Findecanor »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:50:11 »
I don't remember the name of it or what mechanism it used, but it was a one piece dumb terminal with a phone and 300bps modem built in.

That sounds like something like a Minitel, or a local variant. Here in Sweden, my dad had a Teleguide for a while.

Offline dante

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:47:28 »

That sounds like something like a Minitel, or a local variant. Here in Sweden, my dad had a Teleguide for a while.

Didn't look like either of those.  It had full key travel and the phone/modem was on the left (I think... it's been 20+ years...)

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 14:26:38 »
Show Image

hmmmmm, no need to say more.

my vote is also for these roll-up silicone sheets...

hahaha, They are a joke.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 03:21:11 »
I see a couple of other membrane keyboards mentioned, but I'd like to add the membrane keyboard on the Magnavox Odyssey 2.  It wasn't even on a real computer, just an also-ran console that wished it was the Atari 2600.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 06:06:58 »

I have a friend who works for these guys (he hates the board as well) but was given it for free... I have it for novelty sake but have tried to type on it. Not only is it membrane, it's ortho-linear, and the buttons are huge... how they thought this was a great way to teach kids to learn computers blows my mind. It's absolutely terrible. But hey, it looks good with all the other weird keyboards I build and it was free, so whatever.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 12:35:30 »
Show Image

I have a friend who works for these guys (he hates the board as well) but was given it for free... I have it for novelty sake but have tried to type on it. Not only is it membrane, it's ortho-linear, and the buttons are huge... how they thought this was a great way to teach kids to learn computers blows my mind. It's absolutely terrible. But hey, it looks good with all the other weird keyboards I build and it was free, so whatever.

I'm a kid, I'm glad I didn't learn to type on that.
The Ortho is a little weird to be on a kid's keyboard, the modifiers! look at the tab and capslock!  :))

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline badziew

• dome with slider
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 14:57:06 »
Lenovo Ideapad 710S ultrabook keyboard.
Whoever came up with an idea to put right Shift on the right side of the up arrow key (so it goes like / <up> <RShift>) should be pummeled to death with a Model M...
BTC 5139 (BTC dome with slider) | Chicony KB-5192FT (Futaba MA) | IBM Model M 1399580 (Croatian ISO) | M-tek (Monterey) K108 (Alps SKCM White) | Hyundai RT101+ (NMB dome with slider) | Vortex Race 3 (MX Clear) | Ajazz AK33 (Zorro Black) | Logitech K810 (Logitech PerfectStroke, US ISO)

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 16:28:13 »
The Ortho is a little weird to be on a kid's keyboard, the modifiers! look at the tab and capslock!  :))

I can see their idea behind the color scheme where each different type of character or modifier is a different color to teach kids what is the same, but kids have little hands and shouldnt be trying to use those giant buttons. I'm over 6ft tall and I have trouble stretching my fingers to fluidly hit the right keys. I won't debate whether ortho is superior or not (I do own a Planck and will be building more for weird projects), but when basically every other computer is staggard, why teach them something new?- might as well made the keyboard Colemak just to top it all off.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 16:46:53 »

I can see their idea behind the color scheme where each different type of character or modifier is a different color to teach kids what is the same, but kids have little hands and shouldnt be trying to use those giant buttons. I'm over 6ft tall and I have trouble stretching my fingers to fluidly hit the right keys. I won't debate whether ortho is superior or not (I do own a Planck and will be building more for weird projects), but when basically every other computer is staggard, why teach them something new?- might as well made the keyboard Colemak just to top it all off.

I respect both staggered and ortho, both beautiful but yea, why teach them something new?
Might as well make it Colmak, ortholinear and blank!  :cool:

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 18:43:22 »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 12:38:58 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:03:00 by gak1234 »

Offline Myoth

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 12:46:36 »
Show Image

Wonky Alps switches that Apple never used on any other board.  The plastic case binds up during adjustment, squeaks and rattles like crazy.  I used to be an Apple Certified Repair tech and these things were NOT reliable nor cheap.

Apple being not reliable nor cheap ? we've never heard this  ;)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:10:10 »
Show Image

Wonky Alps switches that Apple never used on any other board.  The plastic case binds up during adjustment, squeaks and rattles like crazy.  I used to be an Apple Certified Repair tech and these things were NOT reliable nor cheap.

I feel like you haven't seen too many bad KBs if this one is your worst haha. But is that really a bad thing?

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:30:13 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:03:11 by gak1234 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 07:56:40 »
Hmmm...I will have to think about this one...which one hurt my hands the most after the least amount of time...

Offline mogo

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 08:24:52 »
Hmmm...I will have to think about this one...which one hurt my hands the most after the least amount of time...

for me, that's "every ortholinear board ever"

Offline Mainian

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 10:04:11 »
Just in general... hypersphere'd topre, especially the hhkb.

Maybe I type too hard for things with plastic plates...