Author Topic: Help Me Pick a Switch?  (Read 3320 times)

Offline InnovAsian

Help Me Pick a Switch?
« on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 19:59:59 »
I'll be honest, I don't know much about keyboards, but I have familiarized myself with the 4 Cherry switches on my tester. However, I'm torn as to which I should buy. This will be my first mechanical keyboard. I've decided to get one because of how many mistakes I make when typing on my laptop keyboard, and also because I have a little pullout tray on my desk where I can put one to be more comfortable.

As for switches, I really like both the reds and the blues. Very different, I know, but I like certain things about each of them. I've never really used a mechanical keyboard, I've only tested these two kinds of switches for a bit at the store. I like the audible click that the blues offer, but the tactile bump jars my fingertips a bit, which I don't mind much, and I'm sure I could get used to. I like the smoothness of the reds, and the sound of it bottoming out, which I do when typing on the tester. I know that reds are the lightest of the switches, and I feel like I'll make a lot of mistakes on it, like my laptop keyboard, but I remember the blues being a bit heavy and requiring extra effort for me to push.

I'd say I type in a way that's, not too heavy, and not too light. I'm also not that great of a typist to begin with. I'd mainly use the keyboard for typing things like papers for school, but I do plan on gaming on it from time to time.

If you have any other switch types in mind, do let me know about the ones you'd recommend. I've actually heard some good things about Gateron, Outemu, etc.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
Re: Help Me Pick a Switch?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 20:03:36 »
Browns offer a good balance between tactically and smoothness, in the middle really.
Gateron brows are pretty nice, very smooth indeed and I prefer them over Cherry's browns.

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline InnovAsian

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 20:15:38 »
I don't quite understand this website, so I don't know which post this is replying to. I've considered brown switches, but I don't really care for them. I don't really feel the tactile bump when pressing on it fast. When I push the switch down slowly to feel the tactile bump, it just doesn't feel right to me. It feels like it shouldn't be there, but then again, I'm judging based on a singe switch in a tester rather than an actual keyboard.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 20:25:57 »
I don't quite understand this website, so I don't know which post this is replying to. I've considered brown switches, but I don't really care for them. I don't really feel the tactile bump when pressing on it fast. When I push the switch down slowly to feel the tactile bump, it just doesn't feel right to me. It feels like it shouldn't be there, but then again, I'm judging based on a singe switch in a tester rather than an actual keyboard.

What switches are on your tester?

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline InnovAsian

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 20:30:19 »
I've got the four most common switches (at least that's what I think): red, blue, brown, and black. Black switches seem like they'll put fatigue on my fingers, since I don't have "heavy hands". I don't really have access to full keyboards with these switches without actually purchasing one, and I'd rather not do that, since I'm a bit on a budget. But this isn't about that.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 22:02:41 »
I've got the four most common switches (at least that's what I think): red, blue, brown, and black. Black switches seem like they'll put fatigue on my fingers, since I don't have "heavy hands". I don't really have access to full keyboards with these switches without actually purchasing one, and I'd rather not do that, since I'm a bit on a budget. But this isn't about that.

Since you appreciate the Signature blue "click" and smoothness, Gateron Blue?
See what others have to say, I haven't tried them my self.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 03:11:49 »
Go with reds and practice typing until you don't make mistakes any more :)

Offline Coffee

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 08:06:45 »
If you like red and blue go with kailh box white. As a linear clicky switch, you will get the best of both worlds. My personal favorite switch at the moment. I also prefer the click sound of the whites over the Gateron and Cherry blues.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 15:03:12 »

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 17:58:12 »
Just built a keyboard with Kailh BOX white clicky switches, and they feel and sounds fantastic to me.  I want to do one with the BOX brown or burnt orange (heavier) too, without the clicker.

Kaihua/Kailh have been knocking them out of the park here lately.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 23:17:00 »
I'd suggest going with MX clears if you want something with a more satisfying bump. Between reds and blues I'd probably have to go for blues, but after typing on blue alps that sounds like quite the nightmare to me. Good luck finding your first switch:3 whatever it is it will be better than a rubber dome

Offline InnovAsian

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 15:56:10 »
Are there any other linear switches with an activation force that lies between that of reds and blacks? I'm leaning more towards linear switches, since I don't really care for tactile bumps, and will end up bottoming out the key anyway. While reds do seem a bit light to me, blacks also seem a bit heavy and will strain my fingers.

Offline InnovAsian

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 16:09:13 »
I realize that I initially made a post being indecisive between red and blue switches and am now completely forgetting about blues. I find blue switches to be quite satisfying, but I am leaning more towards linear. The smoothness of a keypress is also something I find satisfying, which is kind of contradictory to the click and tactility of blues. As mentioned before, I will mainly be using the keyboard for typing, but I will eventually game on it a little. Not many people like linear switches for typing, but I do intend to practice to increase my accuracy and whatnot.

Maybe I'll just buy two boards and switch between them every now and then. But as mentioned before, I'm on a budget. Not looking to spend more than $100.

Offline InnovAsian

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 16:12:14 »

This seems like the most reasonable and favored option :)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 00:26:10 »
Are there any other linear switches with an activation force that lies between that of reds and blacks? I'm leaning more towards linear switches, since I don't really care for tactile bumps, and will end up bottoming out the key anyway. While reds do seem a bit light to me, blacks also seem a bit heavy and will strain my fingers.
Fujitsu leaf springs
Alps SKCL Green

Perfect weighting, right between reds adn blacks.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:26:48 »
Gateron Clear.  They're the easiest to activate, and no, I have had zero problems with accidentally activating keys due to their low resistance. 
There may be some good food for thought in the HHKB vs Gateron Clear review I just posted:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92102.0

Offline InnovAsian

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 20:37:44 »
Gateron Clear.  They're the easiest to activate, and no, I have had zero problems with accidentally activating keys due to their low resistance. 
There may be some good food for thought in the HHKB vs Gateron Clear review I just posted:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92102.0

Thank you for the suggestion, but I asked for a keyswitch with an activation force between that of Cherry Reds and Blacks. From your review of Gateron clears, I read that they need 30g of force to activate, which seems too light for me. As I've said before, I don't know too much about mechanical switches and keyboards, so I'm not sure if "activation force" is the right term, but I've read that Cherry reds need 45g of force to register a keypress, and black switches 60g.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 02:17:18 »
Also FLS and SKCL Green are a LOT smoother than any Cherry switch xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 11:47:08 »

This seems like the most reasonable and favored option :)

I've recently fallen in love with Gateron Yellows. You can also consider Gateron Blacks, and the Cherry MX Nature whites. Those all fall in between the Cherry MX Red and Black spectrum