Author Topic: Thoughts on Kailh's box clickbar switches  (Read 44566 times)

Offline Harms

Re: Thoughts on Kailh's box clickbar switches
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:13:09 »
Glad to hear mostly everyone is really happy with their BOX thick clicks.

I've given them a good try-out now, and…  They're not for me.  They're just a bit too much.  I've gone back to BOX Pale Blue.  Also, I just finished building another keyboard with BOX Burnt Orange (tactile) switches, and it's very good too.  Some people like the clickies and some like the tactiles, but I don't know which I am because I like them both.

Oddly enough, I still haven't built one with a conventional click-jacket switch.  I plan to remedy that when I get a bag of Kailh Pro Heavy Sage (70g) switches.  One trait I do think is arguably better about the click-jacket is that it only clicks once per stroke, on the down-stroke but not on the release.

Any stem twist on the burnt oranges?

Thinking about taking the plunge and trying my luck lol.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:30:08 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:50:08 »

I needed 65 keys for my build.  I bought 80 switches and sorted them carefully, snapping them into a plate and putting keycaps on them to see if I could spot any twist.  I culled out about 4 or 5 that appeared to be slightly askew, then I built my keyboard, and it came out great.

Offline Harms

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 20:57:57 »

I needed 65 keys for my build.  I bought 80 switches and sorted them carefully, snapping them into a plate and putting keycaps on them to see if I could spot any twist.  I culled out about 4 or 5 that appeared to be slightly askew, then I built my keyboard, and it came out great.
Wow thanks for the idea. I shall try the same :)

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 09:50:31 »
New guy here,

It seems that the BOX switches use slightly thinner springs, making them incompatible with most other springs. This sucks since I wanted to try out the jades with the 200 or so slightly heavier springs I had lying around, but now I'll have to buy 200 or so black BOX switches instead because it has just the right spring weighting. The combination of the two is IMHO an amazing middle ground between jades and navies, as the black BOX switch is between the red BOX and yellow BOX switches in terms of weighting, which share the springs of the jades and navies respectively.

The end result is a switch which in my opinion feels better than either of the two thick bar switches. It sounds a bit louder and deeper and than the navies (which it shouldn't, but it does anyways), while at the same time being just as, if not unnoticeably more, tactile in feel. Obviously the switch is noticeably lighter than the navies, which were for me too heavy to comfortably use for a long time. They feel much faster than jades, considering the jades strange slow return. I'd definitely recommend trying this out, especially considering that I got the feel that many of you found the whites too light, or the pale blues too heavy. This combination fits comfortably in between the two while being more tactile and having a different (probably preferable) sound.

I'm not an expert on the matter, so take what I say with some salt and try it yourselves. :D

Offline llisandro

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:37:32 »
...The combination of the two is IMHO an amazing middle ground between jades and navies, as the black BOX switch is between the red BOX and yellow BOX switches in terms of weighting, which share the springs of the jades and navies respectively.

The end result is a switch which in my opinion feels better than either of the two thick bar switches. It sounds a bit louder and deeper and than the navies (which it shouldn't, but it does anyways), while at the same time being just as, if not unnoticeably more, tactile in feel. Obviously the switch is noticeably lighter than the navies, which were for me too heavy to comfortably use for a long time. They feel much faster than jades, considering the jades strange slow return. I'd definitely recommend trying this out, especially considering that I got the feel that many of you found the whites too light, or the pale blues too heavy. This combination fits comfortably in between the two while being more tactile and having a different (probably preferable) sound...

I'm curious as to how many Navies you tried out, as your experience doesn't make sense to me (but I haven't tried either jade or navy). Not trying to call you a liar, I'm interested in something a tad lighter than a navy, and also dismayed at lack of spring options.

Navy bottoms out at ~65g, and box black at ~68g, box dark yellows are ~82g.

Chyrosran says Jade has a box white spring, and Jade bottoms out at 47, white at 50, so that checks out. 

On paper a Jade with a Black spring should be a shade heavier than a Navy based on the Black force curve. I believe it's actually the same spring in pale blue, black and navy, given that pale blue (thin clickbar) and jade (thick click version) bottom out exactly the same, and white--> jade drops 3g, and black--> Navy also drops 3g when you move to the thicker clickbar.

thoughts? Can you try with nickels on your navies and black-jades? I'd love to see some reproducibility before I copy you.  cheers :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:49:22 »
I really like clicky BOX switches and would love to use them on a board, but they are so loud.  That said I've only used them unsoldered, and I wonder if--once fully soldered and with a heavy case + plate--the click noise would be attenuated enough to be tolerable. I'm in general positively impressed with Kailh BOX switches.  Regular stem Speed switches were a disappointment compared to what I imagined them to be (especially Speed Copper, which I hoped would be a good labor-free alternative to my Jailhouse Blues). 

It was interesting to read about the "sticky" Jade switch.  I can see how if you mash the switch very quickly (such as in a game), it might be difficult to have consistent consecutive actuations.  Though if you actually press directly top-down on the switch, you CAN get it to click and rebound consistently, even if mashing the switch quickly.  But doing this at some angle with normal curved fingers while typing might be difficult for many repeated actuation in a row.  Otherwise for regular typing, something around 100wpm +/-, it should not be a problem to use BOX Jade.   Disclaimer: I'm just extrapolating from the one unsoldered BOX Jade switch I have in front of me.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 00:12:23 »
I really like clicky BOX switches and would love to use them on a board, but they are so loud.  That said I've only used them unsoldered, and I wonder if--once fully soldered and with a heavy case + plate--the click noise would be attenuated enough to be tolerable. I'm in general positively impressed with Kailh BOX switches.  Regular stem Speed switches were a disappointment compared to what I imagined them to be (especially Speed Copper, which I hoped would be a good labor-free alternative to my Jailhouse Blues). 

It was interesting to read about the "sticky" Jade switch.  I can see how if you mash the switch very quickly (such as in a game), it might be difficult to have consistent consecutive actuations.  Though if you actually press directly top-down on the switch, you CAN get it to click and rebound consistently, even if mashing the switch quickly.  But doing this at some angle with normal curved fingers while typing might be difficult for many repeated actuation in a row.  Otherwise for regular typing, something around 100wpm +/-, it should not be a problem to use BOX Jade.   Disclaimer: I'm just extrapolating from the one unsoldered BOX Jade switch I have in front of me.
I think the switches from the latest batch fixed the 'sticky' issue, and it only emerges again on stabilized keys.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 08:54:19 »
...The combination of the two is IMHO an amazing middle ground between jades and navies, as the black BOX switch is between the red BOX and yellow BOX switches in terms of weighting, which share the springs of the jades and navies respectively.

The end result is a switch which in my opinion feels better than either of the two thick bar switches. It sounds a bit louder and deeper and than the navies (which it shouldn't, but it does anyways), while at the same time being just as, if not unnoticeably more, tactile in feel. Obviously the switch is noticeably lighter than the navies, which were for me too heavy to comfortably use for a long time. They feel much faster than jades, considering the jades strange slow return. I'd definitely recommend trying this out, especially considering that I got the feel that many of you found the whites too light, or the pale blues too heavy. This combination fits comfortably in between the two while being more tactile and having a different (probably preferable) sound...

I'm curious as to how many Navies you tried out, as your experience doesn't make sense to me (but I haven't tried either jade or navy). Not trying to call you a liar, I'm interested in something a tad lighter than a navy, and also dismayed at lack of spring options.

Chyrosran says Jade has a box white spring, and Jade bottoms out at 47, white at 50, so that checks out. 

On paper a Jade with a Black spring should be a shade heavier than a Navy based on the Black force curve. I believe it's actually the same spring in pale blue, black and navy, given that pale blue (thin clickbar) and jade (thick click version) bottom out exactly the same, and white--> jade drops 3g, and black--> Navy also drops 3g when you move to the thicker clickbar.

thoughts? Can you try with nickels on your navies and black-jades? I'd love to see some reproducibility before I copy you.  cheers :D

I only had a couple of jades and navies sampler pack (The 10 piece packs from KBDFans' Aliexpress., so you're most likely right and its an illusion created by small sample size. BUT, after measuring it veryscientificallyTM it the difference ended up being 4g at least and 9g at most, very small, but enough to change to feel of the switch completely. Then again, the difference between any two switches is easily a couple of grams. I presume I just got world's heaviest pack of Navies, as my dark yellow box is about 2 grams heavier :-[

Still, the tactile bump still feels different, and I can tell if the switch is a navy or a jade from feel alone. Perhaps the color affects the switch through electromagnetic forces created by the government to make us by more keyswitches? :tinfoilhat:

Honestly I'm at my wit's end with these switches...

(Also screw the geekhack captchas, I failed them at least 5 times in 2 posts. Mods plz)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 09:18:50 »
I don't think it's possible to truly judge a switch until you have a board fully populated with them and use it for a while.

The captcha should go away for you soon. I think it's either based on post count or longevity of account or both.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:26:57 »

I only had a couple of jades and navies sampler pack (The 10 piece packs from KBDFans' Aliexpress., so you're most likely right and its an illusion created by small sample size. BUT, after measuring it veryscientificallyTM it the difference ended up being 4g at least and 9g at most, very small, but enough to change to feel of the switch completely. Then again, the difference between any two switches is easily a couple of grams. I presume I just got world's heaviest pack of Navies, as my dark yellow box is about 2 grams heavier :-[

Still, the tactile bump still feels different, and I can tell if the switch is a navy or a jade from feel alone. Perhaps the color affects the switch through electromagnetic forces created by the government to make us by more keyswitches? :tinfoilhat:

Honestly I'm at my wit's end with these switches...

(Also screw the geekhack captchas, I failed them at least 5 times in 2 posts. Mods plz)
I don't have any of these issues with my switches bought from novelkeys. Are you sure you are buying from an official distributor of the switches? A sample pack from a random person selling them on ali-express seems quite suspicious to me, and your description of your switches are very different from mine.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:28:49 by rich1051414 »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 00:33:38 »
I just finished building my Moon keyboard with Box Navies topped with SA keycaps, and, holy mother of god, they are fantastic. I was pretty sure I would like them just from handling loose switches, but, when mounted in a keyboard, the click is not so obnoxiously loud. The click is subdued and the feel is very positive and not scratchy at all. I thought they might be a little too heavy, but, now that I am typing on them, I am on the fence about that. I think they could stand to lose maybe 5g of their weight, but I do really like them as-is. I'd prefer to keep them heavy than to risk making them too light.

These are my favorite MX style switch so far.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:35:34 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline onslash

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:54:47 »
im new to the forum, anyways I tried navy, white, pale blue , jades. navy is the most satisfying to press but i can see how this will be fatiguing for gaming. it doesnt feel that heavy for typing but the clickbar can be a bit weird  for gaming.  jade's slow return i think is not that much of a problem, i felt cherry mx blues have similar return time.  My upcoming board is a kbd75 and i think im going to use pale blues for alphas + numbers , box whites for left ctrl left tab and left shift , navies for everything else. one thing i notice is that pale blues don't feel as heavy as it is because i bottom out less compared to like jades , mx blues , gateron blues , etc.   Boxed switches in general is amazing tho, so tactile , smooth, nice sound , and better stability.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:02:21 »
im new to the forum, anyways I tried navy, white, pale blue , jades. navy is the most satisfying to press but i can see how this will be fatiguing for gaming. it doesnt feel that heavy for typing but the clickbar can be a bit weird  for gaming.  jade's slow return i think is not that much of a problem, i felt cherry mx blues have similar return time.  My upcoming board is a kbd75 and i think im going to use pale blues for alphas + numbers , box whites for left ctrl left tab and left shift , navies for everything else. one thing i notice is that pale blues don't feel as heavy as it is because i bottom out less compared to like jades , mx blues , gateron blues , etc.   Boxed switches in general is amazing tho, so tactile , smooth, nice sound , and better stability.
I think pale blues have less tactility than cherry blue or green, which lends itself to bottoming out more when not thinking about it.
I think there should be a mid-point between the two click bar types, as I think it would be a favorite for a large section of the market. Personally, I like the extreme tactility of the thick bars, but not everyone does.

Offline onslash

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:18:23 »
I think pale blues have less tactility than cherry blue or green, which lends itself to bottoming out more when not thinking about it.
I think there should be a mid-point between the two click bar types, as I think it would be a favorite for a large section of the market. Personally, I like the extreme tactility of the thick bars, but not everyone does.

true i guess i should take back my word about tactility but i guess the sharp click is what is giving me that tactility like satisfaction. compared them again last night. im with you on the clickbar, something in between will be good , as for spring i think between white and pale blue is ideal. Imo the thicker the clickbar the spring should weight should increase too. increasing the spring weight more than the increase in clickbar is fine but not vice versa. that said , jade should have 3-5 more g spring weight in order to feel right and responsive like the whites at least

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:57:33 »
If the spring weight was much heavier it would detract from the feeling of the switches bottom falling out from under it after the click, which is the main reason I like it. I agree with you in most cases, for stabilized keys, the spring in jades is far too borderline.
On the keyboard I am typing this on, the only key that I stabilized was the spacebar, and I can't even tell, thanks to box kailh's being such a stable switch with very little wobble.

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:59:15 by rich1051414 »

Offline onslash

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 00:46:31 »
If the spring weight was much heavier it would detract from the feeling of the switches bottom falling out from under it after the click, which is the main reason I like it. I agree with you in most cases, for stabilized keys, the spring in jades is far too borderline.
On the keyboard I am typing this on, the only key that I stabilized was the spacebar, and I can't even tell, thanks to box kailh's being such a stable switch with very little wobble.

ikr , coming from regular mx stems , box don't even need stabilizer on shift keys. Jade with like extra 5 gram spring would be ideal. I tried to mod some jade/navy by wedging the spring with something thin , basically the plastic part catches the clickbar less . Feels quite unique too , something like a semi clicky tactile.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 21:49:31 »
I'm hoping that Novelkeys can stock a medium spring between the low and high weight spring. I love the jades, but I'd be interested in trying a medium weight too.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 09:17:18 »
I'm hoping that Novelkeys can stock a medium spring between the low and high weight spring. I love the jades, but I'd be interested in trying a medium weight too.

I was wondering this as well maybe a better option would be a 0.28 click bar and a medium spring. This way the tactility of the click bar matches the force of the spring and you really don't get the Jade spring problem. 

Offline onslash

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 20:24:33 »

I was wondering this as well maybe a better option would be a 0.28 click bar and a medium spring. This way the tactility of the click bar matches the force of the spring and you really don't get the Jade spring problem.

if find on like alphas the jade/navy clickbar is a bit too overwhelming, hence is why i like pale blues. So for me a jade with a clickbar between normal and thickclicks with a medium spring would be even better (something like 5g more heavy  than the current jade/box white spring

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 23:12:42 »
Hey, everyone. I thought I'd throw this in here, since it concerns medium weight springs that I think a lot of us would like to try in our box switches (regular or thick click). Mike from NovelKeys chimed in on an IC and said he's working with a spring manufacturer to hopefully come up with a medium weight spring. Exact quote:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94654.msg2577720#msg2577720

Just as a heads up, Kailh will not sell just the springs. I have been working with them for the past 6 months or so trying to get them to sell me BOX springs and they wont budge on that.

I am working with a spring manufacturer right now, and just trying to get the details ironed out, but there is no ETA or more info on that at all and I am not trying to hijack your thread.

:)

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 23:13:56 »
if find on like alphas the jade/navy clickbar is a bit too overwhelming, hence is why i like pale blues. So for me a jade with a clickbar between normal and thickclicks with a medium spring would be even better (something like 5g more heavy  than the current jade/box white spring

I agree with your reasoning.  However…  (and I know this thread has "clickbar switches" in the title, but this needs to be said…)  As much as I like the Pale Blues, I've really fallen in love with the Burnt Orange tactile switches.  I thought I was a devoted clicker, but I guess that's over now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 10:09:09 »
This is a weird question but...  Would it be possible to mod a click-bar switch to get more key travel?

I want a clicker for a non-keyboard related project and it would be nice if it was a switch as well.

Offline onslash

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 10:34:00 »

I agree with your reasoning.  However…  (and I know this thread has "clickbar switches" in the title, but this needs to be said…)  As much as I like the Pale Blues, I've really fallen in love with the Burnt Orange tactile switches.  I thought I was a devoted clicker, but I guess that's over now.
i modded by navies, it feels like between pale blues and navies . and the unique thing about this modded switch is , when u spam the switch, it will sort of be abit less clicky than when you press once and repress. what i did was basically sand down the plastic part that catches on the clickbar, thus it barely catches the click bar, this will cause the clickbar to be released a bit prematurely , thus making the click less extreme but still more felt than pale blue.   

Offline Entropia

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 11:30:14 »
What brands sell keyboards with these switches? Or the only chance is to get or build a custom board?

Offline onslash

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 11:36:40 »
you could build custom, or get something like a gk64 which supports hotswap or if you want to be cheap gmmk is decent

Offline onslash

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 11:59:52 »
This is a weird question but...  Would it be possible to mod a click-bar switch to get more key travel?

I want a clicker for a non-keyboard related project and it would be nice if it was a switch as well.
i dont think so , but u can mod it for less keytravel

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 12:53:28 »
i modded by navies, it feels like between pale blues and navies . and the unique thing about this modded switch is , when u spam the switch, it will sort of be abit less clicky than when you press once and repress. what i did was basically sand down the plastic part that catches on the clickbar, thus it barely catches the click bar, this will cause the clickbar to be released a bit prematurely , thus making the click less extreme but still more felt than pale blue.

That sounds okay, except…  I can see it being hard to do that really consistently on every switch.

Offline onslash

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 21:54:27 »

That sounds okay, except…  I can see it being hard to do that really consistently on every switch.

originally the purpose was to make the ideal spacebar switch, i dont like how the navies tactility feels so huge for gaming, meanwhile pale blues feel so smooth but yet still clicky and has the weight ideal for a spacebar. with this mod the navies are smoother, but i dont really know which one i'll end up using for spacebar modded navy or pale blues. the modded jade also improved the upstroke speed a bit , however it still feels slow on big keys

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:05:23 »
Finally got my ACR60 build with BOX navys all finished up & got to try navy thick clicks in a full board. Pretty satisfying on the first impression, the click is quite loud but the feel is impeccable. Smooth, stable, & tactile as all hell! :cool: The weighting is very nice IMO, but YMMV there as I prefer switches on the heavier side. Overall I think this these BOX clickbar switches are a much better design than the usual click jacket. You have the advantages of the BOX stem & a more reliable way to make a consistent click. Personally from here on out these are the only type of MX clicky switches I'm gonna use in my builds TBH. Can't wait to try the BOX Royals which are being teased as having the tactility of navys without the click, although being a tactile switch those are a little off topic.

Offline onslash

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:49:00 »
Finally got my ACR60 build with BOX navys all finished up & got to try navy thick clicks in a full board. Pretty satisfying on the first impression, the click is quite loud but the feel is impeccable. Smooth, stable, & tactile as all hell! :cool: The weighting is very nice IMO, but YMMV there as I prefer switches on the heavier side. Overall I think this these BOX clickbar switches are a much better design than the usual click jacket. You have the advantages of the BOX stem & a more reliable way to make a consistent click. Personally from here on out these are the only type of MX clicky switches I'm gonna use in my builds TBH. Can't wait to try the BOX Royals which are being teased as having the tactility of navys without the click, although being a tactile switch those are a little off topic.
how do you feel about navies on backspace and spacebar? i find it too tactile , makes it feel weird pressing it repeatedly

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 09:37:32 »
Been using a board with 'pale blue' box clickbar switches for the past 3 weeks, and they're really great.

My main keyboard for decades had been a buckling spring, in the past 2 years I've mainly used a keyboard with cherry mx green, and I am now using these pale blue varient box switches and they are by far way more satisfying when compared to the cherry mx green. These new switches are far smoother, and have a much cleaner click than the cherry mx green. The tactility between all three of these variants of a 'clicky' switch I would say is similar-enough to not really say there is a clear winner.

I have some of the 'thick' clickbar variant 'navy' switches on order and am quite interested to see how the pronounced tactility seen in force curves translates into typing feel.

If someone who is used to a heavier keyfeel of a buckling spring that likes the audible feedback of a clicky switch is looking for a modern 'new' switch to go to I would totally say that they'd probably pleased with the 'pale blue' variety of these clickbar switches. They aren't the same thing, of course, but a very pleasing option.
keyboards

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 09:50:17 »
how do you feel about navies on backspace and spacebar? i find it too tactile , makes it feel weird pressing it repeatedly

TBH it doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could be an issue for some. Maybe get a couple pale blues to put in those spots? It would have the same weighting but should be less tactile thanks to the thin click bars they use.

Offline onslash

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 19:46:30 »
for now im using pale blues, navies on functions keys and enter. the modified navy feels in between pale blues  in terms of tactility , but u think i still prefer the smoothness of pale blues

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 20:13:10 »
How do you guys rate the typing feel of the navy thicc clicks to topre? I'm considering a topre build with the upcoming fc660c norb case but the bAss of the thicc clicks is calling me...

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 20:18:51 »
I only have experience with Topre 55g and box jade thick clicks. The weighting is similar, but in my opinion, the Topre feels mushy and imprecise, I suspect because of the drawn out and small tactile bump. The jades feel crisp and sharp, and I much prefer that.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 20:31:08 »
I only have experience with Topre 55g and box jade thick clicks. The weighting is similar, but in my opinion, the Topre feels mushy and imprecise, I suspect because of the drawn out and small tactile bump. The jades feel crisp and sharp, and I much prefer that.

Sweet, it looks like I made the right choice getting me some thicc clicks
norb pls make some not topre cases :cry:

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 21:34:47 »
How do you guys rate the typing feel of the navy thicc clicks to topre? I'm considering a topre build with the upcoming fc660c norb case but the bAss of the thicc clicks is calling me...

What are you hoping to get? Box Navy/Jade are essentially more extreme and (arguably) better versions of Cherry MX Blue. Topre is a whole other thing, which no MX or Alps switch has managed to replicate so far.

The tactility is just one small part of why people love Topre. It's the smoothness, the placement of the bump, the sound, the spring feel, etc.

For ex, I love switches with deep sounds, so my favs are Topre, Orange/Salmon Alps, and even Zealio. The sounds of the Box Navy/Jade are seriously high-pitched and grate on my nerves.

Looking forward to that Box Royals though. The NovelKeys did live up to his words with the Box Navy/Jade, so let's see what he can do next.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 00:37:16 »

What are you hoping to get? Box Navy/Jade are essentially more extreme and (arguably) better versions of Cherry MX Blue. Topre is a whole other thing, which no MX or Alps switch has managed to replicate so far.

The tactility is just one small part of why people love Topre. It's the smoothness, the placement of the bump, the sound, the spring feel, etc.

For ex, I love switches with deep sounds, so my favs are Topre, Orange/Salmon Alps, and even Zealio. The sounds of the Box Navy/Jade are seriously high-pitched and grate on my nerves.

Looking forward to that Box Royals though. The NovelKeys did live up to his words with the Box Navy/Jade, so let's see what he can do next.
The box royals are the ones with the exaggerated tactility? Those look interesting. Watch your back, orange alps :)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 15:06:56 »
Are there any keyboards with Box pal blues, or do you need to custom build them?

Offline onslash

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 23:09:09 »
i dont think its fair to compate tactile switches with clicky switches. but im a clicky person so i prefer jades then. but imo theres something nice about 55g topre. feels more fined at least to me, jafe slow upstroke is bothering me

Offline onslash

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 23:12:40 »
Are there any keyboards with Box pal blues, or do you need to custom build them?
your best bet wouldnt probably get a kb with hotswap capabilities like gk64 , or gmmk , or get a barebone massdrop ctrl if ur fine with waiting

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 02:33:37 »
your best bet wouldnt probably get a kb with hotswap capabilities like gk64 , or gmmk , or get a barebone massdrop ctrl if ur fine with waiting
Outemu hot swap sockets are not compatible with kailh.

I am sure you know this, but I think it is critical to point this out.

Actually, they are destructively compatible. You can swap in kailh switches once, but they wreck the sockets in the process, and will never work right again.