Author Topic: Favorite Silenced Linears?  (Read 9100 times)

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
Favorite Silenced Linears?
« on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 08:34:48 »
I Tried silent reds at a meetup and fell in love with them. I'm planning on building a board with them, but Was wondering what people think about silenced linears in general and if there are any switches that are better than the cherries

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Favorite Silenced Linears?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:19:25 »
I dislike all silenced linears. Silencing linears is a REALLY bad combination IMO.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:31:33 »
yellow springs with cherry silent stems are my fav. The soft rubbery bottomout removes emphasis and helps sell the flatter feel of the yellow spring, making it feel like one whole coherent press instead of pushing down on a spring, kinda like a linear dome in a sense. I've used nonsilent switches a bit after and find the sharp bottomout quite distracting, plus I don't even feel the bottomout more clearly.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline floristfran

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:39:52 »
I dislike all silenced linears. Silencing linears is a REALLY bad combination IMO.
I definitely understand why someone would, I just have a softspot for that rubbery feel

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 10:26:54 »
My dad wanted a quiet keyboard for work and I got him one of those Leopold boards with silent reds and it actually felt really nice I do enjoy the rubbery feel that you get from them it reminds me of a topre board

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:44:55 »
Matias Quiet Linears to be honest. But if you don't want to deal with the whole alps compatibility issue then make Cherry MX Zilents if you're building a board (Zeal housing and spring, Cherry MX Silent Black stem) or if you're buying a prebuilt, buy one with Silent Reds or Blacks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:44:12 by _haru »
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 18:54:16 »

LOL I'm in the same boat, it's weird somehow on tactile switch it's more tolerable.  But just feels odd on linear.

Like I've used to Matias Quiet Pro (Silent Tactile) and Topre Silent and I was perfectly fine with it.

Somehow silent linear just feels odd to me and I really like stock MX Red too.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 19:20:20 »
I have not tried "silenced" linear. I really enjoy the bottom out sound of smooth linear on Stainless steel or brass. For regular linear, try Tealios or Vintage Blacks if you have not already tried them.

Offline onlyabyte

• tekbyte
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 19:35:31 »

Have you considered the MX Silents? They seem to do a great job at silencing the bottom and top out noise. Probably better than o-rings or landing pads ever could.
Akko 3087 SA Retro (45g Pink Linears) || Tecware Phantom Cherry BoW (45g Red Linears)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 21:24:31 »

Have you considered the MX Silents? They seem to do a great job at silencing the bottom and top out noise. Probably better than o-rings or landing pads ever could.

I believe he is referring to the MX Silent Red since that's what the OP start the topic with.  And I'm assuming he might also have tried the Zilents and Matias Linear since he owns a keyboard review / typing sound channel.

In general the silencing mechanism built inside switch kind of removed the clean bottom out feel of regular MX Red.

But to answer OP's answer I have not tried Zilents but people have report that it has less reduction in travel (thinner padding) vs the MX Silent.  If you search around geekhack someone took some comparison pictures.  Between Matias Linear and Cherry MX Silent I'd go with Cherry MX Silent (compatibility and also Matias is 35g which is too light for me).
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 February 2018, 21:29:17 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline yuppie

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 00:54:06 »
Zilents - Zeal housing and spring, silent black stem.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 01:24:46 »
yellow springs with cherry silent stems are my fav. The soft rubbery bottomout removes emphasis and helps sell the flatter feel of the yellow spring, making it feel like one whole coherent press instead of pushing down on a spring, kinda like a linear dome in a sense. I've used nonsilent switches a bit after and find the sharp bottomout quite distracting, plus I don't even feel the bottomout more clearly.

Sounds interesting maybe i should do that to my silent blacks i still have laying around. Are you using the silent blacks from the last GB with the weight problems?
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 03:59:51 »

Sounds interesting maybe i should do that to my silent blacks i still have laying around. Are you using the silent blacks from the last GB with the weight problems?
Yeah I am using those, the stock springs are absolute hot garbage and I have never heard or felt worse springs so they're the perfect candidate for a spring swap.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 06:33:52 »
I think silenced linears are fantastic...I agree with the person that said they can feel very Topre like...even though the force curve is different. 

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 08:02:39 »
Zilents - Zeal housing and spring, silent black stem.

Ops sorry I confused it with Gateron Silent Blacks lollll my bad.

As for Gateron Silent Black refer to this thread:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92751.0

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 13:28:05 »

Yeah I am using those, the stock springs are absolute hot garbage and I have never heard or felt worse springs so they're the perfect candidate for a spring swap.

i changed the housing between Gateron brown and Cherry mx silent from the group buy.

And i must say when it's in the Gateron housing it feels smooth*edited* even with the horrible spring it made it less scratchy. My next combo probably will be silent stems in Gateron yellow housing and spring.
And when i put in the Gateron brown stem in the Cherry housing it basically became a better cherry mx brown lol.

« Last Edit: Mon, 19 February 2018, 13:29:48 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 15:20:12 »
I personally found gat housings to feel a bit worse but they're KS-3 and not the SMD housings you've got there. I will be going for Aliaz housings on my next build since they're functionally identical to zeal housings for linears and I'm getting them off of a guy for not too much. Cherriaz Silent Yellow, what a name.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 20:44:08 »
62g springs in mx silent blacks with g0 equivalent
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 16:57:45 »
62g springs in mx silent blacks with g0 equivalent

+1 for me. This is what i got to in the end as well.
-Dana

Offline befbef

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 02:29:04 »
I put MX silent red stems inside Aliaz housings, lubed with Krytox thin mix: The smoothest switch I've ever felt. And I've tested a lot before (including Tealios, Box, Gateron and Cherry with different housings and lubing). And they're absolutely silent.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 03:37:36 »
My favorite [linear] switch is OG vintage Cherry MX Black, perhaps with a swapped spring. I've tried them with QMX Clips (my favorite damping method), but realized that my fingertips tapping on keycaps were louder than the switch "clack" on release (upstroke); I don't really bottom out [hard] anyway, so that isn't a concern.

I wouldn't mind linearized Alps SKCM Damped White (AEKII).

Offline Worthless_Owl

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 04:24:57 »
I wouldn't mind linearized Alps SKCM Damped White (AEKII).

+1 I tried linear modding some switches while doing paper mod for them. They feel amazing. Objectively cherry and clones make for better linear switches(their force curve is very straight), but something about alps' slight bump and not so straight curve makes them feel "full" and "lively". I tried some silent mx blacks at a meet up before, and i think linearized damped white feels so much better. All of this is highly subjective though

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 20:11:56 »
I've been using skcm dampened whites in my kbp v80 as a 'work from home' setup on a laptop... they are not very silent unfortunately. Maybe pulling the leaf out would be the solution.
-Dana

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 03:19:56 »
They vary wildly, probably due to aging in different environments; some are almost clicky, some very well damped.

Offline floristfran

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 08:33:04 »
I personally found gat housings to feel a bit worse but they're KS-3 and not the SMD housings you've got there. I will be going for Aliaz housings on my next build since they're functionally identical to zeal housings for linears and I'm getting them off of a guy for not too much. Cherriaz Silent Yellow, what a name.

I think I may end up trying this, don't really want to take the plunge on buying tealios + cherries. probably gonna use some 85g SPRiT springs though

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 09:51:45 »
I've got a couple of cherry silent black builds I'm planning. Do you think I'm doing myself a disservice by just leaving them in the stock cherry housings? Is the difference in housing really that significant to be worth the additional cost?

Offline Harms

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:35:10 »
I've got a couple of cherry silent black builds I'm planning. Do you think I'm doing myself a disservice by just leaving them in the stock cherry housings? Is the difference in housing really that significant to be worth the additional cost?
I got silent blacks as well and they sound pretty scratchy. I put them in RGB clear cherry housings that I had lying around and they sound a bit less scratcher. Maybe play around with different housings and see if it helps?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk