Author Topic: Looking for really cheap 60% or TKL keyboard for typing at work  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Explo

Looking for really cheap 60% or TKL keyboard for typing at work
« on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 18:43:33 »
Hey guys, just as the subject says. Do you have any experience with not so expensive keyboards for typing at work? Should I go with any of those cheapest on banggood or aliexpress and it would do the work? Would prefer TKL, or 60% size and keyboard to be as quiet as possible (cuz of coleagues). I dont need any special functions or RGB diods.  Also, which switches should I choose? At home I use blues, but they are quite noise even with o-rings put on. Would for example brown be better with o-rings?

Offline onlyabyte

• tekbyte
Re: Looking for really cheap 60% or TKL keyboard for typing at work
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 03:40:12 »
You could check out the iKBC KD87 with the MX Silent switches. If you think you won't like linears, you could always go with browns or clears (or their gateron counterparts). To answer your question about MX Browns; yes, it will definitely be quieter than blues or any other clicky switch for that matter. As for 60%, it's probably better to build one yourself as they're pretty easy to do. Good luck.
Akko 3087 SA Retro (45g Pink Linears) || Tecware Phantom Cherry BoW (45g Red Linears)

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 18:01:24 »
I don't even really know the point of an ultra-cheap mechanical board. I mean, there's dozens of off-brand Chinese boards that cut all corners possible, but you'd likely end up disliking it after awhile due to low quality.

Maybe just don't bother with a mech board and don't waste your time and don't support Chinese junk manufacturers?

I'd recommend an MX Clears board since they don't bottom out as easily as MX Browns, but I don't think that will fit into the "cheap" category.

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 20:57:25 »
The only board I've bought on Aliexpress (one of the cheapo clones) ended up having a bad switch.  I ended up using it as a desoldering project though replacing that one switch would have worked too.

If you're potentially willing to do repairs or (shudder) try returning one of them, then try that.  Otherwise even if it costs a FEW more dollars buy a cheapo off Amazon so that you can return it easily if there's something wrong.

Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:43:29 »
Hey guys, just as the subject says. Do you have any experience with not so expensive keyboards for typing at work? Should I go with any of those cheapest on banggood or aliexpress and it would do the work? Would prefer TKL, or 60% size and keyboard to be as quiet as possible (cuz of coleagues). I dont need any special functions or RGB diods.  Also, which switches should I choose? At home I use blues, but they are quite noise even with o-rings put on. Would for example brown be better with o-rings?

I found a 75% chinese board on Amazon with standard keys that had hot-swappable switches.  I think it cost me $35 USD.  The build quality is pretty decent, but of course the caps are garbage and it has silly rainbow lights.  Of course being a KB enthusiast I already have spare caps that fix that problem.

The hot-swap sockets are EXTREMELY tight though.  So tight, in fact, that I cracked several (at least half, I'd say) of the original switches getting them out!  I haven't removed the Kailh Coppers I have in there now, but I hope I don't wreck them if I do.  It's not a huge deal though, as they aren't exactly expensive.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:27:50 »
buy a coolermaster board and replace the keycaps with some thick PBT blanks, should run a bit over $100

not as cheap as some options, but certainly good

could also go HAM and get a filco with silents and replace the keycaps , but that's definitely not cheap
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline monkt

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:17:27 »
Would the Saber 68 sold by Originative be a good option? I was looking at this myself since it's a 60% with arrow keys, and seems pretty cheap with the gaterons option.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:47:18 »
Would the Saber 68 sold by Originative be a good option? I was looking at this myself since it's a 60% with arrow keys, and seems pretty cheap with the gaterons option.

it's an improved tada68
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline KPrepublic

• * Vendor
    • KPrepublic
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 21:51:12 »
You may try Durgod TKL. It is under $100.  :)