Author Topic: Q&A - geekhack edition, featuring Oblotzky (May 18, 2018)  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Q&A - geekhack edition, featuring Oblotzky (May 18, 2018)
« on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 11:28:01 »
This Question and Answer interview is intended to be a fun series targeted at well-known community members whom most, if not all of you have most likely "met" here on geekhack.  If you have username suggestions for further interviews, please add them in your comments.  If you want to see some questions added for future interviews, please type them in your responses as well! (Can't guarantee that all requested questions will be added, as keeping the overall interview length reasonable is important for respondents.)

May 18, 2018 - Oblotzky:

Please let us know what motivated your geekhack.org username or else what it means to you, if it's not Top Secret information.
My nickname involves family history, a legacy thing so to say.

How did you get into the keyboard hobby?  Stories or anecdotes are welcome.
A friend of mine linked me the GMK Carbon group buy on MassDrop back in July 2016. I had a Filco Majestouch 2 at the time (a recent upgrade from a Razer Black Widow 2013 Ultimate) and the caps looked sweet, but damn 99$ for some plastic! Are you insane? I ended up ordering them on the last day on an impulse. While waiting for them to deliver, I discovered the world of custom mechanical keyboards via r/mk and then got into GeekHack and Deskthority once I figured out that these were the birthplaces for most new designs, and I wanted to get involved.

What's your main area of interest in the keyboard hobby: the looks, the feels, the customization process (DIY or combining keycap sets with various keyboards), endless variety of keycap sets, artisans, ergonomics, anything else?
I'm primarily about aesthetics to be honest. I do appreciate a good feeling keyboard, but most purchases I do because I like the look of it. So I love good looking keyboards and keycaps, artisans are not my thing though. Also once I received the custom kits I ordered ages ago, I discovered I like building boards a lot too. Ergonomics are not really my concern, I don't even have a wristwrest for my 11 degree Lightsaver with SA caps on it :))

Show us a picture of your favorite keyboard [that you own] with a brief description

- Skog TKL (#2 prototype :cool:) with Nixies containing 52g Kin springs, lube and polycarb switch films. Keycaps are SA Space Cadet from 7bit. A gorgous combination and a board you'll see at any meetup I attend.

What is your current "daily driver" keyboard(s)?  Also with photographs, if it's not the same board as above

- Kira TKL (prototype) with retooled MX Blacks, lubed, polycarb switch films, 50g korean springs, GMK Oblivion

Wish list or dream keyboard(s) or keycap sets?
My favourite sets as doubleshot MT3 caps, Oblivion, SpaceCadet, Honeywell, Retro, Laser (you said dream right?). But I'll be happy if SA Laser and SA Yuri happens. Also I'd love to own a MAO white Skog, and hunting a LZ CLS.

Favorite keyboard switch
Retooled Cherry MX Blacks. Super cheap, very smooth, very consistent. Always with 50-52g Korean springs added in.

Favorite keyboard layout/size:
Tenkeyless standard layout, 65% on second place. Third would be CP, but with spacing below the function row.

Any keyboard type or size, or layout that you would never be caught using? (at least outside the secret privacy of your hidden typing shrine, like an old shiny Razer BlackWidow or a very pingy Model M)
I don't really have a guilty pleasure. I might end up getting a Winkeyless TKL some day, but more for the novelty factor as I would be missing the extra bottom row keys.

Favorite plate material or lack thereof and why
Currently steel, but I haven't tried brass yet. I did receive a TX-CP with brass plate today, so I might be able to update this info soon. Also waiting for the Noxary 280 with 5mm brass plate and see what that is all about.

What is your current mouse?
Logitech G703

Any ergonomic / desk organization preferences?
While I do not have any desk features like adjustable height and such, I find it very important to have plenty of space. Monitor arms free up a lot of valuable desk real estate, especially when using dual 27inch screens that come with massive bases. There's nothing worse than a cramped work space, so I went with a 200x80cm oak hardwood desk.

Please share your favorite drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) or snack
Milk (minimum 3.5% fat) and Donuts, among other sweet pastries.

We'd love to learn about your other hobbies, if you wish to share
None right now, but I might get back into model trains some day when I get older and have the space available, and if keyboards haven't consumed all my money :))

Got any pets?  If so, let's see their photo(s)!
None at the time, used to have guinnea pigs and an aquarium when I was a child.

Any advice for people who are just starting out in the keyboard hobby? 
Be patient, take your time figuring out what you are looking for instead of going on a spending spree right away. This includes having an open mind about new layouts, e.g. HHKB-style or 65% have a reason for being so popular in the community. Also, less is more. In my opinion a 'end game' keyboard is worth its money. Some think a 500-600$ build is proposterous, but end up spending the same amount of money on a bunch of off-the-shelf keyboards. I'd much rather have a single one I'd be super proud of and love using everyday over a pile of mediocre boards.

Closing words:
I hope you find as much enjoyment in this hobby as I do. And if you ever feel like you want to contribute to it by designing a keycap set or so, don't hesitate to reach out! There is a lot I have learned from others when I was new, and I'd love to pass on that knowledge.

PS: Be financially responsible... after buying more Round 7!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -