Author Topic: Security Valuation  (Read 54075 times)

Offline xxxkaliboyxxx

Security Valuation
« on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:17:11 »
I just got contacted by my credit card company about having fraudulent charges on my credit card at Walmart out of all places,  Location Brisbane, California. I am really pissed about this since this is the only website that I have used my credit card for. I would look internally and I will be pulling my business away since obviously there is some type of security valuation somewhere. Not necessary at MassDrop but chances are pretty high based on location and being the only place where I used my credit card.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Security Valuation
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:25:54 »
Credit cards are actually safer to use online than retail stores with the current SSL stuff these days from what I have seen. 

Did you check your transaction history online or paper copy for verification? 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline xxxkaliboyxxx

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:39:03 »
Yup, that was my only saving grace using the credit card, I usually just use Paypal. I guess either would of been OK but my credit card company stopped it before it was even authorized.

Checking online was the first thing we did after I received my credit card warning. Only thing out of our ordinary was literally just MassDrop. Not saying it is them, maybe I am just pissed but when I inquire even more, the location was Brisbane, California (right outside of SF). The location is what bugs me. BTW i'm on the other coast.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:41:13 by xxxkaliboyxxx »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:47:41 »
Yup, that was my only saving grace using the credit card, I usually just use Paypal. I guess either would of been OK but my credit card company stopped it before it was even authorized.

Checking online was the first thing we did after I received my credit card warning. Only thing out of our ordinary was literally just MassDrop. Not saying it is them, maybe I am just pissed but when I inquire even more, the location was Brisbane, California (right outside of SF). The location is what bugs me. BTW i'm on the other coast.

That's odd. If it indeed was Massdrop, they may have gotten hacked. In which case, you should notify them immediately.

Offline xxxkaliboyxxx

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:51:43 »
I notified them through the support ticket channels. There are other possibilities but why Brisbane? We may never know, at the very least I hope to urge MassDrop to do an interal inquiry. It sucks, I really wanted the Pulse set =(

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:53:32 »
I honestly don't see the location as anything to do with Massdrop. Most of the time when somebody steals your card they'll sell the info to another person who in turn puts the charges on your card.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline xxxkaliboyxxx

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:00:23 »
I honestly don't see the location as anything to do with Massdrop. Most of the time when somebody steals your card they'll sell the info to another person who in turn puts the charges on your card.

Very true if it wasn't for the fact that this credit card is my emergency backup fund. Which mean it has never been used online. It has been used physically years ago to buy a plane ticket. Could it be from there? Sure, more likely not. Like I said I usually use Paypal or my debit which both are tied to each other. No other place has my credit card info.

Edit: Just in case anyone wonders why I used my creditcard at Mass Drop, well I was not sure when they actually charge the buyer and I'm a budgeting nerd

Offline MassdropAlex

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:36:31 »
Hmmm we don't actually store any credit card info on our site, database, or otherwise so getting your info stolen by using Massdrop would be surprising. We use a company called Braintree which is a spin off of Paypal and they handle all credit information. If they were compromised I feel like it would be a major deal.

On a quasi related note, Alibaba/Taobao had about 21 million accounts compromised so I recommend changing your info over there if anyone has an account. Just a heads up since I know a lot of us use that site once in awhile.

edit: Also, thanks for the heads up and I flagged it to engineering just in case
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:38:39 by MassdropAlex »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 18:18:57 »
I just got contacted by my credit card company about having fraudulent charges on my credit card at Walmart out of all places,  Location Brisbane, California. I am really pissed about this since this is the only website that I have used my credit card for. I would look internally and I will be pulling my business away since obviously there is some type of security valuation somewhere. Not necessary at MassDrop but chances are pretty high based on location and being the only place where I used my credit card.

Yeah, Target was hit a bit back, tons of people in our area had to get new cards. Almost certainly a local place where you actually swiped your card.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 00:43:51 »
I doubt the location has anything to do with the fraudulent charge. I actually got an unauthorized charge once on my card at a store in Arizona. As a matter of fact, I've never been to Arizona.
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 01:07:10 »
Like others have said...it's much more likely to be compromised at a brick and mortar store than online since it's so much easier.

I've had one account compromised 3 times and the card had not been used online 2 of the 3 times. It was either from swiping at a vulnerable terminal/store, or my bank had been hacked. Which happens more often than you think. They just eat the costs rather than going public and hurting their reputation.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 01:08:46 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 07:42:29 »
I don't think it would be Massdrop - your card probably went through a skimmer at a physical location

Where it shows up doesn't really say much about anything either as the carders tend to sell the stuff they have rather than use it themselves

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 07:52:45 »
I'm not sure what it is with MassDrop but I got transaction declined the last time I tried to pay something credit card on MD, got a message from the bank telling to call ASAP.

I ordered a lot online and it's the only time the bank block a transaction because they wanted to assure I made that transaction.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline MassdropYanbo

• Massdrop Mech Keys
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 15:59:53 »
I'm not sure what it is with MassDrop but I got transaction declined the last time I tried to pay something credit card on MD, got a message from the bank telling to call ASAP.

I ordered a lot online and it's the only time the bank block a transaction because they wanted to assure I made that transaction.

Did you change the value of your order? That can trigger it.