Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2763602 times)

Offline Cosmin

Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #6650 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 02:52:00 »
Using this at the moment.

Lubed and filmed Gateron yellows.

Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6651 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 12:20:05 »
I am using IBM's electrocapacitive buckling springs, in ANSI 122 20 key numpad flavor, and f77 industrial grey modelfkeyboards.com  the battleship is my home and the f77 is my on the road board for when I can use it usually at home I have the amp on so no need to worry about model f clicks

Nice. You're carrying around an F77 of all things? lol. Mine has already made the pilgrimage between home and work a few times. The top of the case, near the palms, was bowed up, some of the keys buzzed, and the spacebar was really squeaky. I was initially too lazy to take it home and fix it, but I really don't want to make that habitual.

Offline fatcoffeebeans

« Reply #6652 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 17:22:27 »
a black realforce!..looking to switch it up asap
Topre Realforce 45g 87u

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6653 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 19:20:27 »
I swapped out my Model M for my old Monoprice keyboard with Cherry MX blues in it, not because it's actually good, but I just apprehended some SA keycaps with a cherry mount, and I needed an excuse to clean it anyway. I'm considering throwing them in my Ducky One. It turns out I like SA keycaps, and I like the sound they make with the otherwise cheap and plasticky blues! Awesome!

Actually, now that I think about it, the sound these make is pretty high pitched, but sounds expensive with the nice deep resonance of the keycaps. I might swap over to his as opposed to the Model M. Hmm.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6654 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 22:38:31 »
Polished this turd

Here's my build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105767.0

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6655 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:36:20 »
Polished this turd

Here's my build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105767.0

Show Image

Beautiful board you've got there now. Nice work.

I have eyed up those caps, but I don't know of any boards that I have/want that would actually fit them well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:45:42 by Maledicted »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #6656 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 11:44:32 »
I’m using this Tofu that I sticker bombed at the moment ^-^

Built with Kailh Box Heavy (Orange), Cherry screw-ins /w Super Lube, and GMK Oblivion /w Hagoromo alphas.

Then in the office (which is currently our dining room table during the lockdown) I’ve got a Melody96 with the same. Except the base Oblivion alphas.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6657 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 11:47:14 »

Show Image

Built with Kailh Box Heavy (Orange), Cherry screw-ins /w Super Lube, and GMK Oblivion /w Hagoromo alphas.

Then in the office (which is currently our dining room table during the lockdown) I’ve got a Melody96 with the same. Except the base Oblivion alphas.

Nice, looks good. I couldn't even tell that those were just stickers.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #6658 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 12:55:40 »

Show Image

Any issues with the BOX switches damaging your precious GMK keycaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #6659 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 13:33:49 »

Show Image

Not so far as I’ve noticed. As far as I’m aware, Kailh made adjustments and reduced stem width back in late 2018 to resolve the issue.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6660 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 13:40:08 »

Show Image

I have box jades and navies in 5 different keyboards now, with random keycaps throughout, from 1980's vintage caps from a Unitek to generic Amazon double shots. I have used most of these boards in rotation for at least a few months now with no ill effects.

Offline abhixec

« Reply #6661 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 01:27:16 »
Ergodox-ez, planck-ez.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline roznalos

« Reply #6662 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 02:53:50 »
Have the PC Think6.5 w/ 78G Zilents and GMK olive keycaps. I know the ETF keycaps make it look out of place, but I'm really fond of them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 02:55:37 by roznalos »

Offline foxtrap614

• Always rem
« Reply #6663 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 05:57:11 »
Using HHKB classic  :thumb:
"I don't think -- " "Then you shouldn't talk."
-Alice In Wonderland

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6664 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:07:30 »
240996-0
Been using my Lubrigante as my DD the last week. I'm falling in love with the Alice layout, this made me jump on the Rukia train!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6665 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:17:09 »
I'm usually not a fan of plastic, but all of these frosted cases look awesome.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6666 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:29:43 »

Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat, but these Lubrigantes are solid boards, especially for acrylic!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6667 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:36:27 »

Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat, but these Lubrigantes are solid boards, especially for acrylic!

Being stacked acrylic, I imagine that they are. Dense and durable. I do like that look in general too. I have a Raspberry Pi case that's assembled similarly.

Offline killchain

« Reply #6668 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 12:17:10 »
Vortex Race 3 (non-RGB), MX Brown, ISO. My very first mechanical board actually, kinda regret I only got it like an year ago.

Offline Frederick16

« Reply #6669 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 01:05:05 »
Mine is Logitech K230 Wireless
https://tvtap-pro.net

Offline epoch

« Reply #6670 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 01:25:28 »
I'm still using my 4-5 years old SteelSeries 6gv2, to which I'm thinking about buying some Gateron Brown switches and change all of them, because I'm a bit tired of the black ones (I'm a software developer and I'd be glad to have less pressure to do in the keys...)

Offline guyga

« Reply #6671 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 01:36:07 »
RealForce R2 55g

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6672 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:25:58 »
Just switched back to the Unicomp from the Matias.

Interesting, because while I would say that I prefer the Unicomp keyfeel, it's actually more difficult to come back to than the Matias board. The heavy key weighting has actually caused me to not fully actuate a few keys while typing. Very interesting. I wonder how this will feel when I actually build that board with the Box Navys from China. I might have to go with jades like a wimp.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6673 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:27:19 »
Just switched back to the Unicomp from the Matias.

Interesting, because while I would say that I prefer the Unicomp keyfeel, it's actually more difficult to come back to than the Matias board. The heavy key weighting has actually caused me to not fully actuate a few keys while typing. Very interesting. I wonder how this will feel when I actually build that board with the Box Navys from China. I might have to go with jades like a wimp.

I know how that can be. It usually doesn't take much for me to get used to box navies again, and it is always a pleasant surprise how crisp they feel and sound. I noticed even blue Alps were surprisingly stiff to me recently. If you can get used to membrane buckling spring again, I imagine you could acclimate to navies.

241799-0

I finally tracked down an F107. Paint and caps are the work of the owner before the previous owner. Not sure why/how it managed to change hands so much. It is staying with me forever.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6674 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 06:55:48 »
Looks like some recent unicomp keys on that bad lad. Like really recent. Like those keys were bought in the past year or two, judging by the Windows key. I wonder why he got rid of it. Maybe flipped it, or didn't like the higher pitched sound than an M?

How do you like it?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6675 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 07:54:40 »

keys were bought in the past year or two, judging by the Windows key.

Unicomp has been selling that style of Windows key for at least 6-8 years. For a while you could get both styles, I don't know about now. I have not bought any Unicomp keys in 3 years or more, but it is my impression that their quality cratered about 5 years ago and has been improving since.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline econeuler

« Reply #6676 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 08:44:04 »
Vortex Race 3 (non-RGB), MX Brown, ISO. My very first mechanical board actually, kinda regret I only got it like an year ago.

Do you know if browns will get better/okay if you lube them? I have some browns at home, and feels bad not to use them, but I cant bare them vanilla, any ideas?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6677 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 08:50:43 »
Looks like some recent unicomp keys on that bad lad. Like really recent. Like those keys were bought in the past year or two, judging by the Windows key. I wonder why he got rid of it. Maybe flipped it, or didn't like the higher pitched sound than an M?

How do you like it?

It sold most recently near the end of last year, before I picked it up very recently. I actually found the post about it on Reddit before the buyer reached out to me having seen my wanted listing on here, so it has changed hands a lot in a short span of time. I could probably ask the seller if there was any other reason besides the fact that the H key is apparently acting up sometimes. I used it basically all yesterday and haven't encountered a problem yet. I know the owner who did the paint job had a log that showed the foam falling apart inside, but never mentioned replacing it, and there were plenty of little foam bits in the case when I took it apart to suggest to me that he may have just slapped it back together with the old foam still in there. I'll take the plate sandwich apart and have a look, whenever I have the motivation, and maybe some suitable replacement foam. I did notice that the powder coat was already chipping off on parts of the plate.

I like it very much. I could use it or my new production F77 interchangeably. Even the lighter spring weight I noticed in the F77 seems to be present on the F107 vs my F ATs and XT, but maybe I need a closer comparison between the three. It really strikes home for me how close Ellipse's copies are to the originals, now that I have an original 4704 board.

keys were bought in the past year or two, judging by the Windows key.

Unicomp has been selling that style of Windows key for at least 6-8 years. For a while you could get both styles, I don't know about now. I have not bought any Unicomp keys in 3 years or more, but it is my impression that their quality cratered about 5 years ago and has been improving since.

I actually really dislike those Windows 8/10 Windows logos. Really not a fan of the trend lately of turning literally everything into a bland box. It almost makes me feel like electronics and computer companies (including software) are taking a play out of the books of 1980s automotive companies and turning everything into a shoe box.

I believe you put neoprene in your F107, right? That must be quite a bit different from the original stuff, and I imagine much more resilient.

Do you know if browns will get better/okay if you lube them? I have some browns at home, and feels bad not to use them, but I cant bare them vanilla, any ideas?

I don't know the answer to that question, specifically, myself. I do know that Kailh box browns are much more smooth, and noticeably tactile, without any lube. Gateron browns are quite a bit more smooth as well.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #6678 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 08:59:49 »

I don't know the answer to that question, specifically, myself. I do know that Kailh box browns are much more smooth, and noticeably tactile, without any lube. Gateron browns are quite a bit more smooth as well.

Ah okay, yeah maybe I'll just try some stuff, maybe lubing and changing to a harder spring might do some improvement. Or maybe even file down/remove the tactile bump to make them linear and therefore smooth? Don't know if it's hard to do that consistently for all switches?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6679 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 11:41:40 »
Ah okay, yeah maybe I'll just try some stuff, maybe lubing and changing to a harder spring might do some improvement. Or maybe even file down/remove the tactile bump to make them linear and therefore smooth? Don't know if it's hard to do that consistently for all switches?

I would message DALExSNAIL. He's an MX brown guy. I would imagine filing the bump off would be pretty tedious, if nothing else.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #6680 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 12:16:52 »

I would message DALExSNAIL. He's an MX brown guy. I would imagine filing the bump off would be pretty tedious, if nothing else.

Great! Thank you  :)

Offline el_murdoque

« Reply #6681 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 19:25:04 »
241843-0

JJ40 with Gateron Blacks.

I've never thought this thing will grow on me and half expected that it'll be gone within a week.
Yet, here it is. Different keycaps are on the way.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6682 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 19:56:24 »

I actually really dislike those Windows 8/10 Windows logos.

You might call Unicomp and ask whether they have any of the wavy Windows keys left. There is some chance that they have a few laying around even if they aren't listed.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6683 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 21:56:24 »
JJ40 with Gateron Blacks.

I've never thought this thing will grow on me and half expected that it'll be gone within a week.
Yet, here it is. Different keycaps are on the way.

Nice. I don't like that form factor, but the board looks good. Gateron blacks feel pretty nice to me. No fatigue? MX blacks got old fast to me, but I can notice the difference in weight with the Gaterons. Oddly enough, in my tester, the standard one feels buttery smooth and the RGB one feels worse than the worst MX black I have ever felt. I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

I actually really dislike those Windows 8/10 Windows logos.

You might call Unicomp and ask whether they have any of the wavy Windows keys left. There is some chance that they have a few laying around even if they aren't listed.

I thought about it, but I'll probably end up getting Geekhack keys for the Windows keys like I did for my F77.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6684 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 22:39:33 »
I was actually thinking about doing that too, and then forgot to add it onto my order! I did get Geekhack function keys though. D'oh!

Email sent!

Offline el_murdoque

« Reply #6685 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:26:21 »
Nice. I don't like that form factor, but the board looks good. Gateron blacks feel pretty nice to me. No fatigue? MX blacks got old fast to me, but I can notice the difference in weight with the Gaterons. Oddly enough, in my tester, the standard one feels buttery smooth and the RGB one feels worse than the worst MX black I have ever felt. I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

No fatigue at all. It seems that my muscle memory, which is used to a MX Brown Board at work and the Flaretech switches of the Wooting two at home, works actually quite well with the black Gaterons. I don't bottom out as hard, on some keystrokes I don't bottom out at all, but I somehow manage to have every key register.
I can Imagine that those switches on a 100% board could be a bit too much, but on this tiny thing my hand hovers right over every single key at all times so I don't ever stretch my fingers and always strike from a position of strength.

I bought this board because it was kind of cheap and for trying out the concept. I did not really anticipate that I might like the Switches - but in fact I do.

Offline typo

« Reply #6686 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 00:57:47 »
My new grail, end game. IKBC loaded Korean custom MF 108 V3 prototype not released for retail. 5-9-2020. This thing is so sweet. I mean this is the top of all Koreans even IMO. Forget Topre! No need for a pic. It looks exactly the same as the regular one. IKBC is a Korean company go figure. There modified blues and stabs are to die for IMO. Plus the weight of this tank. It stays put. Hopefully get your own under $800USD in less than 4 months. Should have plenty of stock unlike all other Korean boards.

Offline realone1

« Reply #6687 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:16:04 »
KBD19x
Zealios V2
GMK Oblivions Monochrome

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6688 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 12:54:10 »
KBD19x
Zealios V2
GMK Oblivions Monochrome

That board looks sick.  :thumb:

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #6689 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 11:43:07 »
At work I hop between my Dell ChromeBook 3100 2-in-1's OE keyboard and my Dell 15" Latitude's board - haven't decided what to bring or build for work yet as I move around alot within the warehouse depending on what project I'm deploying.  At home I tend to use my iKBC Poker II (type-c) that I modded w/ Gat Black Ink v1's (lubed w/ 205g0).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6690 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 11:49:26 »
At work I hop between my Dell ChromeBook 3100 2-in-1's OE keyboard and my Dell 15" Latitude's board - haven't decided what to bring or build for work yet as I move around alot within the warehouse depending on what project I'm deploying.  At home I tend to use my iKBC Poker II (type-c) that I modded w/ Gat Black Ink v1's (lubed w/ 205g0).

We've got a ton of those 3100s at work, holding up way better than everything else we've had so far, although they've got their own power quirks. How have you liked it? Not a linear guy, but I would be curious to try Gateron inks some time.

Offline el_murdoque

« Reply #6691 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 15:58:59 »

(Attachment Link)

I finally tracked down an F107. Paint and caps are the work of the owner before the previous owner. Not sure why/how it managed to change hands so much. It is staying with me forever.

BTW, this looks, apart from the questionable paintjob, like a holy grail type of board.
That is the only F I could imagine to get used to the key layout.

That paint ... do you think this could be the actual paint used on a battleship ?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6692 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:27:41 »

(Attachment Link)

BTW, this looks, apart from the questionable paintjob, like a holy grail type of board.
That is the only F I could imagine to get used to the key layout.

That paint ... do you think this could be the actual paint used on a battleship ?

You can ANSI mod the F AT and F122 as well. I do believe the F107 is already pretty close by default though. The F107 is apparently more common than the F62 and F77, at least until we find a bunch more stockpiles of them all in some bank basement or something.

The paint is a powder coat I believe, so I'm not sure that you could apply it to a battleship, or that it would hold up very well in a marine environment. The color does look very U.S. Navy though, doesn't it? Maybe that was the goal. I'm actually kind of glad it was painted the way it was. My new production F77 is industrial grey, so it fits in, and I actually love glossy finishes. The originals almost all looked to have chipped paint in the corners, so even if I had found an untouched one, I would need to tweak it to ANSI and probably paint the thing myself, or leave it beat up.

I always liked the aesthetic and function of the left-side F keys, even though I rarely use them for anything. I almost wish IBM had made an F87 of sorts in that regard. I do like how ridiculously long and heavy the F107 is though, and the name alone is cool too seeing as that's also a prototype jet fighter-bomber.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6693 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:44:37 »

apart from the questionable paintjob,

Although I was disappointed when I had the case shot-blasted because I was hoping to have a pure clean metal case, it did give me the opportunity to put a great paint job on it.

I love Rustoleum, and the new line of metallic paints that they introduced a few years ago are beautiful.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76203.msg1900511#msg1900511
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6694 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:52:53 »

This thing called Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Compact 98 Key Mechanical Computer Keyboard -USB Connection Multi-Color Rainbow programmable RGB with Blue Switches,for Windows PC Gamers.

Review here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106348.msg2903376#msg2903376

Offline Marchioness

« Reply #6695 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 20:34:16 »
My HHKB JP Type-S finally came in!

At the moment I can't really connect it to my desktop because my cable is too short, but it's currently being used for my tablet and laptop.
My desktop uses a Realforce 108, but I wanted a portable keyboard for my mobile setup.  The JIS layout is a must for me since I've been using it for about four years now, so the FC660C was out.

Initial thoughts: while I love my stock Realforce sound/feel, this sounds unique! Happy with my purchase after reading about it for years here.

EDIT: Accidentally uploaded the same image twice :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 20:38:30 by Marchioness »
Topre Realforce 91U | Realforce 108U | HHKB Pro JP

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #6696 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 20:35:05 »
Cheat with OG wyse keycaps!

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6697 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:20:55 »

apart from the questionable paintjob,

Although I was disappointed when I had the case shot-blasted because I was hoping to have a pure clean metal case, it did give me the opportunity to put a great paint job on it.

I love Rustoleum, and the new line of metallic paints that they introduced a few years ago are beautiful.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76203.msg1900511#msg1900511

Yeah, your F107 is sweet. I have seen the thread before, a few times. You did a great job with it.

Show Image

This thing called Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Compact 98 Key Mechanical Computer Keyboard -USB Connection Multi-Color Rainbow programmable RGB with Blue Switches,for Windows PC Gamers.

Review here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106348.msg2903376#msg2903376

I'll have to read that when I get the chance. Cool caps you've got on it.

My HHKB JP Type-S finally came in!

At the moment I can't really connect it to my desktop because my cable is too short, but it's currently being used for my tablet and laptop.
My desktop uses a Realforce 108, but I wanted a portable keyboard for my mobile setup.  The JIS layout is a must for me since I've been using it for about four years now, so the FC660C was out.

Initial thoughts: while I love my stock Realforce sound/feel, this sounds unique! Happy with my purchase after reading about it for years here.

EDIT: Accidentally uploaded the same image twice :(

Nice. I need to feel Topre some day.

Cheat with OG wyse keycaps!

Looks great. Those old Wyse caps always looked awesome.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #6698 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 06:19:12 »
I'm currently using the Bastron Glass Keyboard.
At first it was frustrating to get tpying fast on it or touchh-typing. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I like using it. Makes me feel like I am using the keyboard from IronMan.

Do you actually prefer that over a mechanical or even a rubber dome? Is that your go-to, or are you just using it for the novelty.
It is my only keyboard at the moment. I use the Dvorak layout. It took a bit of time getting to grips with the layout, and typing on glass without any tactile feel. Yes, I am attempting to do some sort of spin on touchtyping on it. I don't look at the keyboard at all when typing. So it actually works..
I am not super fast. But I am making progress.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6699 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 20:47:34 »
LOL every time I post my keyboard I currently use, it's the same one I have been using. Except I get told to dust off the desk or pick up the soda in the corner, so I will leave it to your imagination to know I am still using it.