geekhack Community > Off Topic

Barack Obama Wins The Nobel Peace Prize

(1/17) > >>

itlnstln:
Your thoughts?  I haven't seen a good flame-fest in awhile, so I'm going to see if this stirs the ol' sh*t-pot.

My take: I am happy for Obama that he won it, but I am upset at the committee for awarding it to him.  I don't really think he has done enough (or anything) to win it at least in the same light as MLK, Nelson Mandela or Jimmy Carter.

wellington1869:

--- Quote ---
 I haven't seen a good flame-fest in awhile, so I'm going to see if this stirs the ol' sh*t-pot
--- End quote ---

lol, u so evil itln ;)

ok, lets get it on...

--- Quote ---
My take: I am happy for Obama that he won it, but I am upset at the committee for awarding it to him. I don't really think he has done enough (or anything) to win it at least in the same light as MLK, Nelson Mandela or Jimmy Carter.

--- End quote ---

i think he more than deserved it. If the committee's decision seems extraordinary, it only reflects the extraordinary times we live in,  the extraordinary 8 years that preceded obama (in the US and around the world), and the extraordinary change (in every single sense, including in the sense of a complete shift in geopolitical strategy) that obama ushered in within 1 year.

you may think thats not 'enough', but I feel obama has already done so much, just by working himself into a position from which he could even begin to signal these changes - changes that it was "impossible to think" just a year ago.

That he hasnt completed these projects yet -- is only because its still his first year - we forget that sometimes, because of how much he HAS done in the last year - how much HAS changed - we forget he hasnt even been in office for even a year yet. He's got four years to go (and quite possibly 8).  If things have changed this much in a year, imagine what the world will look like after 8.  To mention one minor thing, for the first time, america will have a national health care system -- against ALL the odds, and against two centuries of rejecting it.

Thats phenomenal change - and on only one domenstic front. The economic system will be policed; kyoto treaty reinvoked, alliances made against terrorists even from within the muslim world, the real war finally fought in afghanistan, and all this will be done thru consensus building - at home and around the world - rather than bullying.  Peace prize? Oh yes.

FourOhFour:

--- Quote from: wellington1869;124697 ---i think he more than deserved it. If the committee's decision seems extraordinary, it only reflects the extraordinary times we live in,  the extraordinary 8 years that preceded obama (in the US and around the world), and the extraordinary change (in every single sense, including in the sense of a complete shift in geopolitical strategy) that obama ushered in within 1 year.
--- End quote ---

So in other words, he won because he's not Bush.

And I think this particular pot is self-stirring now that it's been set in motion :-P

timw4mail:
And what has Obama done, besides further deficiting the budget?

Rajagra:

--- Quote from: wellington1869;124697 ---i think he more than deserved it...

...the extraordinary change (in every single sense, including in the sense of a complete shift in geopolitical strategy) that obama ushered in within 1 year.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, but the thing is you see, the deadline for prize nominations was 11 days after Obama was elected. What did he do in those 11 days to earn a Nobel Prize?

--- Quote from: FourOhFour;124699 ---So in other words, he won because he's not Bush.
--- End quote ---
You aren't the only one to say that.

--- Quote ---Sky's foreign affairs editor, Tim Marshall, said: "There will be people who will say this is a marvellous, inspired award.

"But next year let's give it to Miss World. Every year Miss World comes on and says 'I want world peace and the world free of nuclear weapons'. It's a hope, an aspiration.

"The deadline for nominations for the peace prize was February 1, so someone nominated the President of America for his achievements 11 days into his presidency.

"This is a Nobel Peace Prize for not being George Bush. And I think it has been devalued."
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version