Author Topic: How do you decide when it's time to build a new PC vs incrementally upgrading?  (Read 31444 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: How do you decide when it's time to build a new PC vs incrementally upgrading?
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 02:34:44 »
Most AIO owners would have been better off just buying a high end air cooler, but most see a high end air cooler and think for just a little more they could get a water cooler.

Air coolers don't have pump whine, so for quietness at the low end it's definitely more quiet.

But AIO still gets better peak cooling.

Not as often as you think
The top end Noctuas can pretty much match or beat any AIO in noise and cooling.

Problem is size and fitment, some of the better air coolers have limited case compatibility while most any modern case will support a dual 120 rad and most people prefer the looks and ease of maintenance an AIO provides (I have to remove the heatsink to disconnect or remove almost any connectors, ram or ssd). Water and aluminum is not as efficient as heat pipes and copper at removing heat, guess what AIO's have, and worse, newer AIOs have moved to thinner radiators.

Here's an interesting video on it.
Here's a good video int.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Larken

Re: How do you decide when it's time to build a new PC vs incrementally upgrading?
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 05:29:47 »
Contrary to popular belief water isn't any more quiet than air.
You have the added pump noise and heat and most of the time people add a second or even third fan. Not only are these fans not deep inside where the sound is muffled, they are high pressure fans beating air against a lot of corners. Most AIO owners would have been better off just buying a high end air cooler, but most see a high end air cooler and think for just a little more they could get a water cooler.

I see this quite often, even when I'm talking with buddies who are hardware enthusiasts. For some reason, they always think that AIOs are quieter than air coolers (to be fair, there are a lot of noisy air coolers out there). Personally, I prefer air coolers for the reasons mentioned above. Actually just ordered a Noctua DH-15 chromax for my upcoming cpu upgrade.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 08:23:07 »
Not as often as you think
The top end Noctuas can pretty much match or beat any AIO in noise and cooling.

Problem is size and fitment, some of the better air coolers have limited case compatibility while most any modern case will support a dual 120 rad and most people prefer the looks and ease of maintenance an AIO provides (I have to remove the heatsink to disconnect or remove almost any connectors, ram or ssd). Water and aluminum is not as efficient as heat pipes and copper at removing heat, guess what AIO's have, and worse, newer AIOs have moved to thinner radiators.

Here's an interesting video on it.
Here's a good video int.

Their system is not scientific, but the range is probably too thin for their measurement setup.

Different blocks are also suited for different die sizes. It's also possible that the AIO could cool an even larger total tdp while the noctua can not, this wasn't tested

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 09:47:49 »
Contrary to popular belief water isn't any more quiet than air.
You have the added pump noise and heat and most of the time people add a second or even third fan. Not only are these fans not deep inside where the sound is muffled, they are high pressure fans beating air against a lot of corners. Most AIO owners would have been better off just buying a high end air cooler, but most see a high end air cooler and think for just a little more they could get a water cooler.

I see this quite often, even when I'm talking with buddies who are hardware enthusiasts. For some reason, they always think that AIOs are quieter than air coolers (to be fair, there are a lot of noisy air coolers out there). Personally, I prefer air coolers for the reasons mentioned above. Actually just ordered a Noctua DH-15 chromax for my upcoming cpu upgrade.

NH-D15 is dope. Good choice.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Larken

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 18:57:23 »

NH-D15 is dope. Good choice.

Woops. Messed up on the name. But yea, I've been wanting one of them noctuas since the d14, but could never justify it as I already had an aftermarket cooler that performed really well. Needed a new one since I'm moving to am4. Cyrorig r1 and dark rock pro 4 were in contention (on top of being much easier to purchase where I'm at) but I figured I'd probably regret not going for the noctua afterwards. They really do make the best fans.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 19:29:23 »
Their system is not scientific, but the range is probably too thin for their measurement setup.

Different blocks are also suited for different die sizes. It's also possible that the AIO could cool an even larger total tdp while the noctua can not, this wasn't tested
None of them are scientific, no reviewers have access to that sort of equipment, most are just testing in a room or open air, this is one of the better ones though.

"It's also possible that the AIO could cool an even larger total tdp"
Well yeah, because you can have an infinite sized AIO but that's not realistic now is it?

Stop looking at temps as the end-all-be-all, it's wrong. It doesn't tell you how much the cooler can handle, it's telling you how it performs based on the fans/fan curve it was provided with. Given equal air flow and surface area an air cooler will win pretty much every single time due to efficiency (SCIENCE!). The trouble is fitting it. People need to stop comparing something like a Hyper 212 to a dual 120 AIO, of course the AIO wins. Despite inefficiencies, the AIO has twice the surface area and twice the air flow.

As for block sizes, Asetek, who makes all of the AIOs (they hold the patent and refuse to license it), uses pretty much only one size block. Go look at all the AIOs on Newegg, they all look pretty much the same for this reason. The one real exception (other than the pump in rad AIOs) is the Threadripper purpose built blocks which use the same pump and I'd almost bet a similar internal layout as the rest, which explains why it doesn't really cool much better than a non TR purpose built block. I suspect they may have just made it a larger external surface (acting as a heat spreader) as it means less design and tooling changes.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 02:51:57 »
When I was younger I would replace my computer motherboard, CPU, GPU, and often memory every year to two years due to my budget forcing me to buy lower end hardware, the pace of hardware evolution, and the increasing demands of the games I was playing.

In 2009 I built a machine with an i7, 12 GB memory, 320 MB/s SSD and since then have only replaced the GPU since it failed and the CPU since I upgraded to the biggest Xeon that would fit the motherboard (6 core 12 thread).

I also finally upgraded my case from 2001 with a Fractal Design silent case and an AIO cooler.  I finally have a silent PC (my first PC had an Alpha PAL8045 with an 8000 RPM Delta fan on it for those in the know).

I think my demands have slowed down and the pace of hardware evolution has slowed down so the need to upgrade as often just isn't there.  The PC I have gobbles up productivity workloads I throw at it and can still play older games just fine.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 08:23:23 »

In 2009 I built a machine with an i7, 12 GB memory, 320 MB/s SSD

I think my demands have slowed down and the pace of hardware evolution has slowed down so the need to upgrade as often just isn't there. 

In 2009 that was a monstrous beast of a machine, wasn't it?

Not being a gamer, I could now probably go at 6-8 years without feeling the need to modernize.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 09:22:11 »
I've noticed in my job that other than the great migration to SSD's, the past decade has been a very stagnant one for everything save maybe graphics cards, and SSD sizes. (Monitors too have gotten cheaper and much bigger)

I built my current rig I'm typing to you on around 2012 and it's still going strong, There's few games I can't play at 4K, and I've only upgraded the graphics card and SSD's in the meantime.

I got:

Azza 4000 case
AMD 9590 8-Core at 4.70, (I used to overclock it but didn't really notice a difference. :( It still runs very hot. )
16GB DDR3 @1333
2 TB of storage, and 1TB combined of SSD space. (I bought drives piecemeal.)
Vega 64 Graphics Card
1600 Watt Power supply

The power supply is a hercules sold on Newegg, it was an over-reaction to a crash I was getting with my graphics cards, and I wouldn't do now that I'm older and know better.

I had bought two 6990's and Crossfired them so I technically had 4 GPU's, and it was powerful but not to an extreme extent. Because they were old bitcoin miners they burnt out fast, I owned them for probably a year before they gave up the ghost.

Honestly if you have an i-something, and it's not literally the first gen. (or if it's the i7 first gen) you have an SSD, and a decent graphics card, you'll be hard pressed to max them out in an everyday workload.

Mobile CPU's in laptops will be a different case, but that's also beyond the scope of this post.

I think the Software lastly has a lot to say here.

We're much more rarely getting Triple A games that REALLY push a computer, most of the things that push it now are more hardware related: (E.G. I want a 144hz monitor and need more frames! I want 4k! or I want them both!) Games are being built more and more so anyone can play them on nearly any hardware and the company making the game can make more money. You limit your market when you have to make people go out and buy more hardware to play it. Though I loved doing that back in the day, it was fun for me, it doesn't persuade everyone to do it.

Also OS's have been more about running on Less. Most machines running windows 7 will run 10 fine. I couldn't say the same for the Vista era, a windows 2000 machine would be very unlikely to run Vista well or at all in some cases.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 December 2019, 19:52:40 by jacethesaltsculptor »

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 18:39:43 »
Hardware has exceeded the software is why.
Vista was peak software and while Win10 is closing in on it, hardware has taken a major jump since Vista (vista was Core 2 and mostly dual core). You could make Vista run well on that era hardware it just took VERY high end parts which most didn't have, coming from old XP machines MS and manufacturers told them it would run on. It didn't and they knew it, but HP and Dell had thousands of low end ($300-$400) systems ready to sell and people would have balked had they been told they actually needed to spend $1500+.

As for stagnation... Yes and no
Monitors are cheaper, unless you want new-ish features then you pay through the nose. Monitors have always been that way, it's a slow industry.
CPUs and GPUS... electrical trace size determine speed and it's a race to zero, getting more and more difficult to extract more speed. Core count was a way to offset it but it's not really a replacement, we need an architecture shift for a major leap at this point. This was why SSDs were so important, it was a major architecture shift.

Anything NVME will probably last you a long time as there's nothing major coming down the pipe.
Yes, more cores, but trust me, once you get 6-8 cores and at least as many threads, more matters less and less. Do I drool over 16core/32 thread, absolutely, will it put my 8700k to shame, only in very limited workloads that few ever really see. Cores won't fix the issue, it's an architecture/software problem that's not easy to solve.

The next big shift is actually going to be on motherboards and connectors.
MATX is dead (some companies are dropping it already), SLI is dead, ATX isn't really needed anymore. Expect ITX to become the dominant form factor soon. All you had to do was pay attention to holiday inventory to see where the market is going, you couldn't find a sale on SFX power supplies and many are still sold out. Seems everyone bought AMD Ryzen, ITX boards and 1660/2060 GPUs. In fact almost the entire North American inventory of full size 1660/2060 cards was depleted in early November. Everyone is shrinking the box, case makers are lagging but they are coming. BTW, EVGA is still trying to recover from the November wipe-out. That's why sales on those GPUs parts were limited on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, they were out of inventory before we even got there.

Longer term is connectors.
I expect a single interface to appear for internal and external connectors, do we really need an internal USB 3.1 usb connector when they could just embed a Type C connector on the board? Same for Sata and RGB (which needs a standardized connector), switch them to Type C. All those connectors are slower than USB 3.2 so we no longer need them. Make a small bank of Type C and call it a day. This is slowly starting to happen with a few companies including an internal usb connector. I don't know how soon this will happen, but the sooner the better. Personally, ditch all the sata slots and give me an extra NVME slot. We also may see a switch to so-dimm (laptop) memory as it makes it easier to fit everything on the smaller boards. This alone would give room for another nvme slot.

While I don't see it happening, I'd also like to see a different cable system, ATX12v is aging and showing it's limitations. We need a better system than that stupid massive 24 pin, 8 pin, and now becoming more common a second 8 pin. It's time to update it. And can we FINALLY get a common pinout/connector for the front panel. Why are we still having to look at manuals to figure out the pinout and connect each manually. This is ridiculous, surely they can standardize this.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 21:02:08 »
After some long term testing and review I am legitimately impressed with the noticeable performance difference going from a i5-2500k to a i7-3770k. Both were overclocked to 4.2 and 4.5 GHz respectively, the i7 runs a bit hotter, topping out at around 160f under max pressure stress testing. Thankfully I don't generally come close to that, and it hovers around 100-120f most of the time in it's OC state with nothing more than a mid-level Scythe CPU cooler.
Win and in-Win apps are running easily double the speed (tested before in Win 7 environment, and again in Win 10,) and current gaming titles like Red Dead Redemption II run noticeably smoother under generally higher settings.

Upgrades all told:
i5 2500k OC 4.2 -> i7 3770k OC 4.6 GHz
16gb -> 32gb RAM
Win 7 -> Win 10 ):
Monitor 60 Hz -> 244 Hz

All told, not including monitor: $185
Staving off having to buy a new computer for another year or so: PRICELESS

I could get even more mileage out of this build if there were a 1070 TI available anywhere on Earth for a reasonable price. If anything they have been going up in price lately?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 03:27:41 »
Be sure to price shop any used cards, prices have dropped considerably in the last month.

In about one month 1080 prices dropped almost 20%, I've seen a few EVGA models struggle to reach $270 on auction. This has compressed the 1070, 1070 ti and 1080's into a small space with barely $100 separating them all. Why get a 1070 ti (which for some reason are scarce) when $40 more will get you a 1080 which are all over the place.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 03:31:18 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 05:18:16 »
Be sure to price shop any used cards, prices have dropped considerably in the last month.

In about one month 1080 prices dropped almost 20%, I've seen a few EVGA models struggle to reach $270 on auction. This has compressed the 1070, 1070 ti and 1080's into a small space with barely $100 separating them all. Why get a 1070 ti (which for some reason are scarce) when $40 more will get you a 1080 which are all over the place.

Broke me is hyped

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:58:26 »

Not sure 1080 is the way to go though.

Recent events, from the 2D side, it seems that Madvr will require a 1080Ti for HDR Tonemapping video playback.

From the 3D side, there's rumor that Nvidia will double Ray-Trace performance in the next gen card, making Ray Trace an actual playable feature.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 20:22:15 »
Not sure 1080 is the way to go though.

Recent events, from the 2D side, it seems that Madvr will require a 1080Ti for HDR Tonemapping video playback.

From the 3D side, there's rumor that Nvidia will double Ray-Trace performance in the next gen card, making Ray Trace an actual playable feature.
Double RTX... *yawn*
Wake me when it's worth actually having before I spend money to double it.

I'm sure at some point it will be a normal thing like shadows were once they became common, but dismissing a heavily discounted last gen card over a feature that is years away from even being a common thing much less a necessity (by which time you could upgrade again for cheap) is just silly.

As for MADVR,
You're talking about specialized software doing specialized encoding and playback while encoding, not sure what that has to do with anything mentioned here. The number of people who need that feature are few and far between and would be far better served on a forum at least dedicated to the software.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 02:40:42 »
Ray-tracing at a decent price-point seems far out.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline el_murdoque

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 08:00:02 »
How do you decide when the time is right? Tech keeps improving and getting cheaper at a really fast rate these days, perhaps waiting 2-3 more years is better?

First of all, I need to hit that point. My office machine is a potato, but it runs Ubuntu from an SSD and I don't spend time waiting for applications to open or close or do their stuff. It all happens instantly, so I'm happy and in no mood to upgrade.
On my home machine, I do occasionally play games, even though my busy schedule allows less and less of that.
I also use more demanding software, so that machine has a bigger pot to cook.
So when I hit that point where the game I installed does not run smoothly on settings between high and medium -
or applications take a while to launch or I get angry with the lack of power in any other way, it's time to do something.
My personal happiness with the performance of my system is the only benchmark that counts. I've had people commenting on my machines being potatoes before, but that never sparked anything.
So when I want more juice, I decide whats best - new parts or new system.  When I go new system, I usually buy something used off ebay, rip both the new and my old box apart and frankenstein a system out of the best parts. With any luck, there will be enough parts left to build another working system that will go either to a good case or on ebay.

I upgrade parts when either my GPU or CPU are old and the mainboard is able to take a serious upgrade. Right now, I have something like the second best possibility there is in my CPU slot. The best, while being better, is not that much of an upgrade. So as soon as I run into CPU-being-slow-issues,
I'll need a new system. I won't get a new Mainboard and migrate everything else. The work involved usually is the same as building a new system.

Tech keeps improving and getting cheaper at a really fast rate these days, perhaps waiting 2-3 more years is better?
I've built my first machine in 1994, as an upgrade to an outdated 80286 that came pre-build.
I spent about three grand on a 80mHz CPU with a staggering 8 megs of RAM. To round it off, a 400 meg harddrive (so big, you'll never have to worry about space). Tech was improving fast and getting cheaper at a really fast rate back then and it has never stopped until now. It will, with a very high probability go on doing just that.
So basically, it is always the right or wrong moment to buy. "The new <chipset/gpu/cpu/whatever> will be released in three weeks" is a statement that is true at any given time.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:14:09 »
Just grabbed a 1660 super instead of a 5600 xt. I have no time for driver headaches right now.

Also... someone talk me into a non-cheapo wireless mouse. Which one? Budget?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 13:53:09 »
Just grabbed a 1660 super instead of a 5600 xt. I have no time for driver headaches right now.

There's only Logitech, the only reliable wireless platform.

G305 is Tp4 recommends.  The other ones with rechargeable require disassembly to swap battery.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 14:21:34 »

G305 is Tp4 recommends.  The other ones with rechargeable require disassembly to swap battery.

Perfect. I don't need 40 ****ing buttons on my mouse. And $50 seems reasonable.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 10:00:08 »

G305 is the best option. Only has two side buttons and can be modded easily

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 12:09:37 »
Double RTX... *yawn*
Wake me when it's worth actually having before I spend money to double it.

I'm sure at some point it will be a normal thing like shadows were once they became common, but dismissing a heavily discounted last gen card over a feature that is years away from even being a common thing much less a necessity (by which time you could upgrade again for cheap) is just silly.

Agreed. RTX is a joke.

I've always loved how all of their wireless devices last months and months on disposable batteries, and those unifying receivers are wonderful.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 15:46:45 »
I am intrigued by the passively cooled 1650. It would be neat to do a dead-air build with no fans in the case at all.

Offline bliss

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 16:32:29 »
It would be neat to do a dead-air build with no fans in the case at all.
Been there, done that - it's worth it!

However, the passive 1650 at 75W is clearly meant for active case cooling, not unlike a server card.

My build uses a 25W Xeon, passively cooled PSU and a GPU where fans stop at idle. With this you can play games for hours no problem (GPU fans spin), while the PC is dead quiet (no fans) when the GPU is not stressed. Tried a XFX R7 250 Passive, got too hot in that PC! I have got a case with top vent to facilitate the stack-effect.

Rather than a passive 1650, I would try a Ryzen 5 3400G with built-in graphics, possibly at TDP-down, with a really large (passive) cooler. Could do fanless  gaming or whatever :thumb:

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 17:09:01 »
It's easier to snake a cable through another room ,  vs a no fan build.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 17:21:32 »
It's easier to snake a cable through another room ,  vs a no fan build.

I will snake my cable into your room.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 19:49:29 »
1660 super was a pita. Got 5700 xt. This thing rips so far.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 20:12:12 »
I think that fanpeople may need help if he has sunk to hitting on TP4
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 20:31:40 »

Fohat yet again underestimating Tp4's immense PG appropriate charisma

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 20:32:48 »

It is more of a doggy dominance thing. Nothing sexual, pure domination.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 20:44:58 »

Help.. I need an Adult..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 21:41:44 »

Help.. I need an Adult..

...... tonight.... you!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 22:07:19 »
I am intrigued by the passively cooled 1650. It would be neat to do a dead-air build with no fans in the case at all.
Most of these expect some airflow in the box, especially smaller boxes.
That doesn't mean you can't use LARGE, SLOW fans, and if the right ones (Noctua and a few others) you won't hear them, but you generally need something.

I too have thought of doing this, came really close on one of my servers, only fan was a super slow 140mm, but for a gaming/high performance system it means too many compromises.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 07:35:45 »

Help.. I need an Adult..

...... tonight.... you!

Is that a hand banana reference? Good old Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2020, 12:09:36 by Maledicted »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 19:58:07 »

Help.. I need an Adult..

...... tonight.... you!

Is that a hand banana reference? Good old Aqua Team Hunger Force.

:thumb:

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 14:23:28 »

Got the g305. It is friggin light as hell. I'm used to heavy ****. This is gonna take a while to get used to...

Nice mouse for the price, though. Thanks.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 20:34:06 »
Got the g305. It is friggin light as hell. I'm used to heavy ****. This is gonna take a while to get used to...

Nice mouse for the price, though. Thanks.

Do dat Flick shot.  Quake 3 Arena.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 02:44:48 »
For anyone looking to upgrade their SSD and Ram, DO IT NOW!!!!

Manufacturers over supplied the market and began cutting back production before Thanksgiving, supplies are now down to where they want so prices are going to go up. Worse, Sony is sourcing parts for the Playstation 5 right now (and complaining about prices), so once the current supply stateside dries up prices are going to shoot up fast. You would think these companies could plan better but they never do.

Don't be surprised if ram prices jump 30-50% by April and to a lesser degree SSDs. Don't expect prices to get back to where we are until we get towards the end of summer, possibly early Fall.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2020, 02:47:05 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 05:08:51 »
Don't be surprised if ram prices jump 30-50% by April and to a lesser degree SSDs. Don't expect prices to get back to where we are until we get towards the end of summer, possibly early Fall.

Sounds like I'm due a CPU/RAM failure right around May, got a spare mobo so that will survive for a change :rolleyes:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 23:35:27 »

Sounds like I'm due a CPU/RAM failure right around May, got a spare mobo so that will survive for a change :rolleyes:

Threadrippppa

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 04:49:19 »

Threadrippppa

NUC would be more appropriate for my use :p

More likely 6 core Ryzen and much moaning about paying for unnecessary performance upgrade, like usual.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 15:52:27 »

More likely 6 core Ryzen and much moaning about paying for unnecessary performance upgrade, like usual.

Threadripppa NUC... !!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 15:55:15 »

Threadripppa NUC... !!

This immediately reminded me of those rednecks that jam as huge of v8 engines as they can into lawnmowers.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:36:23 »
This immediately reminded me of those rednecks that jam as huge of v8 engines as they can into lawnmowers.

There's bound to be an itx board eventually.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:54:50 »
People have rendered it, and while possible and at least one company is interested, it's unlikely.

The socket itself takes up almost 25% of the board, by the time you add IO there's no room for full size ram, much less multiple channels of it which are needed to take full advantage of Threadripper. Most ideas so far have centered around laptop ram on the back of the board and still comes up short for wifi and m.2 space. Even MATX has been tough for board makers, I think only Asrock has done it.

Here's a thread discussing it, including renders and size comparisons, but if it ever does happen, it will be one very expensive motherboard for what you get.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:20:00 by suicidal_orange »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:25:05 »
People have rendered it, and while possible and at least one company is interested, it's unlikely.

The socket itself takes up almost 25% of the board, by the time you add IO there's no room for full size ram, much less multiple channels of it which are needed to take full advantage of Threadripper. Most ideas so far have centered around laptop ram on the back of the board and still comes up short for wifi and m.2 space. Even MATX has been tough for board makers, I think only Asrock has done it.

Here's a thread discussing it, including renders and size comparisons, but if it ever does happen, it will be one very expensive motherboard for what you get.

They could do a small perpendicular breakout board just like the extra vrms.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:30:21 »
Personally, I would rather it be bigger and just be able to work inside of the thing anyway. Not sure why anybody needs something that powerful in that sort of form factor, with upgradeability/customization.

This is also coming from somebody that's worked, almost exclusively, on cheap Chromebooks and laptops that probably belonged in a wood chipper straight from the factory floor, for 5 years straight. Getting into a desktop at all again is like a breath of fresh air.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:33:40 by Maledicted »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:33:16 »
... Not sure why anybody needs something that powerful in that sort of form factor ...
Old school LAN party server? :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod