Author Topic: What video games are you currently playing?  (Read 336806 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: What video games are you currently playing?
« Reply #850 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 13:13:56 »
Got burned from Pokemon after White. Well, I mean I played White for about an hour and realized it's just the same formula over and over and over.

Yup, that's why I cannot understand how Pokemon lasted so long as a franchise. it's the exact same **** over and over and over. The peak was Ruby and Sapphire imo, it was all downhill/or should I say the same hill from that point on. That was the last one that really felt like a true sequel and upgrade to the series.

You're a 10-year-old kid with one/no parent(s). You begin by getting your first Pokemon from the main professor of the town. Mom kisses you goodbye and you leave.
You meet one/two main friends who help you throughout the game. You catch weak Pokemon, level them up, battle six gyms, then the Elite Four. All the while an evil/misguided gang is trying to capture/use Pokemon for their evil/misguided ways.
And throw in some gimmick to change the appearance of the older 'mon to make it seem "new."

All of the games I've played are like this. The other mainstream RPGs I played (e.g., Dragon Quest, FF, etc.) at least have different storylines and different kinds of characters. True, you start weak and grind up like any other RPG, but, as I mentioned, it's the story that keeps me engaged (and the attacks with flashy effects).

I started to feel the same way for TLoZ during Skyward Sword. In one of the levels, I even asked myself (alone in my living room), "Why am I even playing this game?" Didn't play a game in the franchise after that until BotW. I wasn't even excited for BotW until I started seeing streams of it after release. What a breath of fresh air for that series.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #851 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 13:33:06 »
Got burned from Pokemon after White. Well, I mean I played White for about an hour and realized it's just the same formula over and over and over.

Yup, that's why I cannot understand how Pokemon lasted so long as a franchise. it's the exact same **** over and over and over. The peak was Ruby and Sapphire imo, it was all downhill/or should I say the same hill from that point on. That was the last one that really felt like a true sequel and upgrade to the series.

You're a 10-year-old kid with one/no parent(s). You begin by getting your first Pokemon from the main professor of the town. Mom kisses you goodbye and you leave.
You meet one/two main friends who help you throughout the game. You catch weak Pokemon, level them up, battle six gyms, then the Elite Four. All the while an evil/misguided gang is trying to capture/use Pokemon for their evil/misguided ways.
And throw in some gimmick to change the appearance of the older 'mon to make it seem "new."

All of the games I've played are like this. The other mainstream RPGs I played (e.g., Dragon Quest, FF, etc.) at least have different storylines and different kinds of characters. True, you start weak and grind up like any other RPG, but, as I mentioned, it's the story that keeps me engaged (and the attacks with flashy effects).

I started to feel the same way for TLoZ during Skyward Sword. In one of the levels, I even asked myself (alone in my living room), "Why am I even playing this game?" Didn't play a game in the franchise after that until BotW. I wasn't even excited for BotW until I started seeing streams of it after release. What a breath of fresh air for that series.

:)) you sound like me when I realized MMO's are just giant Skinner Boxes designed to waste your time.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #852 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 14:05:03 »
Tp4 did spreadsheets for a long time.   Tp4 will no longer be doing spreadsheets for free.

Anything resembling Spreadsheets, you haz payz Tp4 to complete.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #853 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 14:22:14 »

:)) you sound like me when I realized MMO's are just giant Skinner Boxes designed to waste your time.

Did a few 10k+ farming sessions to spawn world boss for a 1-in-4 chance of cosmetic drop some years ago.  Can confirm; very racket.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #854 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 18:42:02 »

Did a few 10k+ farming sessions to spawn world boss for a 1-in-4 chance of cosmetic drop some years ago.  Can confirm; very racket.

Ran a 60+hr shift hunt with a girlfirend to get the Time Lost Proto-drake. Can confirm, it lived up to it's name.

Offline captainkai

« Reply #855 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 01:26:15 »
Currently playing Dota 2, thinking about starting up Diablo 2 with the ladder newly reset.

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #856 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 13:44:24 »
gave ROTMG a try. It's not bad..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #857 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 17:30:27 »
I used to be SUPER into ROTMG. Back in it's heyday it was really fun before all the spammers and scammers took over.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #858 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 13:05:58 »
Been playing Remnant: From the Ashes since yesterday; really fun so far. Pretty difficult; while I have played souls-like games, I am by no means great, even good at them. This one has a good mix of melee/ranged combat, neat world and aesthetic; and is procedurally generated, even the first bosses friends and I have encountered solo have been different. I could be understanding it incorrectly. The game kind of reminds me of The Secret World, except without abysmal gameplay.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #859 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 14:32:40 »
Civilization 6. 

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #860 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 14:39:58 »
School starts again next week (last year--yay), so of course that means I'm trying to squeeze as many games in as possible.

Switch:
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
Golf Story
Stardew Valley
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

3DS:
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pokemon White

I recently installed CFW on my 3DS. It's pretty neat.

Offline Capsmiths

• Capsmiths
« Reply #861 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 17:45:34 »
Been playing Remnant: From the Ashes since yesterday; really fun so far. Pretty difficult; while I have played souls-like games, I am by no means great, even good at them. This one has a good mix of melee/ranged combat, neat world and aesthetic; and is procedurally generated, even the first bosses friends and I have encountered solo have been different. I could be understanding it incorrectly. The game kind of reminds me of The Secret World, except without abysmal gameplay.

Remnant has been awesome. Co-op is so well done where friends can drop in and out and experience different fights each time.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #862 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 09:59:16 »

Remnant has been awesome. Co-op is so well done where friends can drop in and out and experience different fights each time.

Agreed, tbh I couldn't believe how easy it was to co-op compared to other titles with similar ideas. They've done a damn good job making some AAA look bad at implementation of certain things.

Offline whinmeister

« Reply #863 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 10:42:30 »
Booted up Destiny 2 last night since they enabled cross platform save. Went from PS4 to PC. Sooo much better IMO.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #864 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 11:28:06 »
Dwarf Fortress has been getting a lot of my attention lately.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline geewiz

« Reply #865 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 11:33:19 »
There's a certain running GB that inspired me to pick up the Shadowrun Humble Bundle.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #866 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 08:25:25 »
There's a certain running GB that inspired me to pick up the Shadowrun Humble Bundle.

Hmm.. wonder what it is 😳

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #867 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 13:55:52 »
Terraria again for good old times

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #868 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 15:02:54 »
Can be retro/modern/PC/mobile/Tiger Electronics/etc.

Currently playing Chrono Trigger. Been putting it off for so long. Now that I have a bit of a break from studies I’ve been hunkering down when the rest of the family is asleep and trying to play as much as I can until school starts again.

(Attachment Link)

Not far into it (about maybe a fourth, if that), but so far I really like it. The story and characters are a bit cliche by today's standards, but they are colorful and relatable. The battle system is very good, and I can see myself tweaking it soon to fit my needs. Playing on the DS Lite made me realize how small the screens are (been used to the 3DS XL screens), but it's definitely manageable.

Currently playing Super Mario World 2 and Buildroyale.io . I'm a true gamer guys B)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #869 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 15:25:36 »
Playing BF V with a couple mates because there's nothing we really fancy atm.
Bought Remnant: From the Ashes on a whim, still need to try that out though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #870 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 22:17:43 »
After reading about Far Cry in a gaming mag recently, I got the urge to play it again (the first one).

After about half an hour I remembered how frustrating parts of it are, how many times you have to replay areas because you didn't reach the checkpoint before getting killed.

Not sure it I'll be able to continue playing - it is just too frustrating for a quick run around a tropical island a couple of times a weekend.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nyry43

« Reply #871 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 07:20:32 »
I'm sure it has been mentioned here already, but I've been playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses on the Switch. This is my first Fire Emblem game and I'm really enjoying it. I will say the game gets a little repetitive but the various mechanics of the game keep it interesting.

Anyone else playing it? What are your thoughts?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #872 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 14:16:01 »
Just finished Firewatch. I started it like over a year ago and left it as some point when I got bored. Picked it up last night and finsihed it now.
Short story but nice adventure game.

Now, starting Metro Exodus.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #873 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 12:14:40 »
Playing no video games now, have to focus on going back to school. Cannot wait to eat cake when i get home.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #874 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 13:51:40 »
Wait, we can use this thread as a personal blog?  This opens up so many avenues of..  nvm, I played the crap out of Boulder Dash for virtualized C64 recently.  That and I keep coming back to Blades of Vengeance for vGenesis.

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #875 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 08:10:17 »
I'm sure it has been mentioned here already, but I've been playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses on the Switch. This is my first Fire Emblem game and I'm really enjoying it. I will say the game gets a little repetitive but the various mechanics of the game keep it interesting.

I started this game a few days ago and so far it’s very good.  I usually play a few rounds of Apex at night on PC and the Switch on the couch in handheld mode.  This is another great game for that.  I heard a lot of comparisons to Persona but it’s much more cheesy than charming in comparison to P4.  The school/battle structure is similar but being stuck at a religious school in a medieval fantasy world feels less slice of life than a moderately explorable modern rural Japan.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #876 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 10:29:19 »

If only they'd port the latest robot taisen.. sigh......

Offline sleepy

« Reply #877 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 17:09:22 »
been playing a game called rez on the dreamcast, its a pretty awesome shooter and has a banger sound track (https://youtu.be/_Z06bKvmK-U?t=1272)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #878 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 20:08:10 »
been playing a game called rez on the dreamcast, its a pretty awesome shooter and has a banger sound track (https://youtu.be/_Z06bKvmK-U?t=1272)

Gotta get Dat GDEMU

Offline sleepy

« Reply #879 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 18:25:16 »

Gotta get Dat GDEMU

Show Image

lol yeah, I need to get a new soldering iron first though... Hakko I guess?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #880 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 06:07:43 »
Currently playing UT3 (my go to game to relieve stress) and Gears 5, pretty nice looking game, scripted like previous games but that's what Gears' all about anyway.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #881 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 17:54:18 »
Playing Splatoon..

DJ Octoling looks like he was denied a spotify album

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #882 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 20:06:27 »
Playing Splatoon..

DJ Octoling looks like he was denied a spotify album

I haven’t played Splatoon in about a year but I bought my Switch mostly for Splatoon, I love that game, just got burnt out on ranked.  Maybe I should play it up again.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #883 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 16:04:33 »
Playing Blasphemous. It's good but far from great, or even being a flawed masterpiece. The game does seem to be on the short side, and ultimately it feels like a bunch of planned features were cut in the interest of time. I'm not a big fan of the soundtrack either, it is forgettable at best. There is a fair amount of backtracking, and it seems like the level designer has not worked on a Metroidvania game before due to how poorly areas flow together. The controls are tight and the combat is fun. I am always excited to encounter a new enemy type and see what they do. The art direction is amazing at times, but weirdly bland at others. I dunno, the game is good, but just feels rushed. There could've been so much more polish that would've elevated this from good to great. I like it much better than some similar offerings like Dark Devotion, Death's Gambit, and Slain. Honestly the aesthetic and story could've gone even darker. I think if we ever see a sequel it will come together as something really great, but this is still worth playing.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #884 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 17:48:48 »
Devoted some time to reading reddit tips/tricks posts for Pixel Dungeon.  I'm at least making it to the fifth dungeon now so that's cool.  Not terrible for < 20 games played.

Also maintaining an extended Kingdom of Loathing aftercore run (lvl25 atm--130 day run so far).  Hopefully I'll remember to finish my guild orientation soon so that I can journey in to Hobopolis. 

Offline Sorachi.Ace

• Formerly CaptRobo
  • Co-owner of SodieCaps artisan keycaps
« Reply #885 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 19:24:58 »
Playing Blasphemous. It's good but far from great, or even being a flawed masterpiece. The game does seem to be on the short side, and ultimately it feels like a bunch of planned features were cut in the interest of time. I'm not a big fan of the soundtrack either, it is forgettable at best. There is a fair amount of backtracking, and it seems like the level designer has not worked on a Metroidvania game before due to how poorly areas flow together. The controls are tight and the combat is fun. I am always excited to encounter a new enemy type and see what they do. The art direction is amazing at times, but weirdly bland at others. I dunno, the game is good, but just feels rushed. There could've been so much more polish that would've elevated this from good to great. I like it much better than some similar offerings like Dark Devotion, Death's Gambit, and Slain. Honestly the aesthetic and story could've gone even darker. I think if we ever see a sequel it will come together as something really great, but this is still worth playing.

I think this just help me decide to wait awhile before getting Blasphemous. At least until there's a better sale. The atmosphere really resemble Dark Souls, of which I'm a huge fan of. But I'm already in the middle of playing Hollow Knight and my usual multiplayer games Rocket league and Rainbow Six Siege.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #886 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 19:54:49 »

I think this just help me decide to wait awhile before getting Blasphemous. At least until there's a better sale. The atmosphere really resemble Dark Souls, of which I'm a huge fan of. But I'm already in the middle of playing Hollow Knight and my usual multiplayer games Rocket league and Rainbow Six Siege.

I'm still playing it a fair amount, but need to take breaks because the backtracking gets really old. And on top of that it's still fairly buggy. Last night I dodge-rolled away from a boss and wound up clipping through the wall and getting stuck in black nothing unable to finish the fight.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #887 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 14:18:26 »
Not playing anything...

have to focus on schoolwork

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #888 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 14:46:36 »
Not playing anything...

Says the dude posting on a forum when they should be doing schoolwork  :rolleyes:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #889 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 14:30:55 »
Not playing anything...

Says the dude posting on a forum when they should be doing schoolwork  :rolleyes:

-_-

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #890 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 16:45:48 »
15 years old and still playing games intended for children B)

Currently playing Arsenal

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #891 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 00:57:03 »
Threw a dart at my steam playlist and it landed on Deponia... Rufus, no! Don't touch tha... /facepalm
A lot of fun for a point and clicker, mostly due to all the dialogue. Someone had too much fun with the writing.

Offline Davyb123music

• "Music is the Best"- FZ
« Reply #892 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 00:59:57 »
KOTOR 1 and 2.

Offline Bawsky

• Give Deathcaps pls
« Reply #893 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 16:09:34 »
Getting ready for some Shadowkeep tomorrow  :)

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #894 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 16:14:04 »
Children of Morta and it's quite fun and challenging

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #895 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 10:52:43 »
KOTOR 1 and 2.
Classics! It's been 10+ years since I've played those and I still think about them from time to time. For me, they are the gold standard of what makes a great SW game....well, next to the Dark Forces series, that is. You can't beat Kyle Katarn!
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #896 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 11:15:52 »
I recently got an Oculus Quest and am still learning the ins-n-outs of it. I'm enjoying Beat Saber and Half-Life, so far. I might even try to learn to make custom content for it.  :thumb:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #897 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 13:53:04 »
After I played through Goonies II for the second time (a few weeks ago) I came across the material I used during my first play through as a youngster (~93'): The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (1987). 

Thought this might help anyone unaided by the original Japanese guide.  At the time of the first completion, I must have borrowed the guide from one of the local libraries.

Offline kwerdenker

• thinkkwer.eu
« Reply #898 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 15:54:48 »
Currently playing Q.U.B.E. 2 because it was in the Epic game store free games thingy. Really enjoying the puzzles and it's a good game to just sink a few minutes into if you don't have a whole evening for it.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #899 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 12:26:19 »
After not touching it for a while, started a new Minecraft world. Last I played was 1.9, so there's a ton of content I've never seen.
pls gief bbv2