Author Topic: Ebay sniped out of an IBM Model F AT  (Read 2977 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Ebay sniped out of an IBM Model F AT
« on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 16:11:12 »
Feels bad man.  Got sniped out from under me within the last minute.  I had the leading bid on it the entire week it was listed.  QQ
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 16:22:48 »
I never bid until the last 30 seconds, tends to win me things more often.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 16:30:54 »
Quote from: longweight;585077
I never bid until the last 30 seconds, tends to win me things more often.

Word.  I think I'm going to go with that strategy from here on out.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 16:32:13 »
Always the best way :)

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 17:07:56 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;585070
Feels bad man.  Got sniped out from under me within the last minute.  I had the leading bid on it the entire week it was listed.  QQ

Your fault!

Next time you bid in the last second yourself and have more luck.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline Glissant

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 17:31:07 »
*cough* Auction auto bidder *cough*

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 April 2012, 09:03:49 »
I have been buying and selling on ebay for 10-12 years, with nearly a thousand transactions between 3 accounts, half-and-half as buyer and seller, 100% positive feedback across the board, so I know what I am talking about.

Don't make a conventional bid unless you know, for certain, that it will knock everybody else out of the running.

I doubt that I have made an ebay bid in 5 years, I ALWAYS snipe or use Buy-It-Now.

If at all possible, Buy-It-Now is far more fair and transparent, and I use it whenever I can as buyer or seller. I believe that you can get just as much as a seller, if you know what the item should sell for, by starting sky-high and dropping incrementally until you get the sale. A lot of people are more comfortable going for a "sure thing"

Ebay tells you to "bid early, and bid often"

You should do the opposite. Early high bids just raise the bar for everybody, and get emotions raging.

Sniping is the only bargain in the ebay/Paypal universe. use it
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline v0id

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 03:07:01 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;585525
...ALWAYS snipe or use Buy-It-Now.

If at all possible, Buy-It-Now is far more fair and transparent ... people are more comfortable going for a "sure thing"

Sniping is the only bargain in the ebay/Paypal universe. use it

Thanks for the advice.
Black Dell AT101W | Leopold TKL (Blue) | IBM Model M

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 04:25:36 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;585070

You have to bid what it is worth. If your snipe is too low it won't help you either.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 07:22:22 »
Sniping has totally changed the landscape forever.

The other day, I was sniping what I imagined was a rather small item on ebay. It started at $1 and was bid up to $4 in 3 bids on the second day. It stayed at $4 all week, I checked a few minutes before the auction ended, and it was still at $4.

I was sniping it at $28, and I lost it at $35 on 5 bids.

This time last year, I spent about 3 months trying to get a good Model F AT. Apparently there were 2-3 of us in the same boat.

Throughout June and July, there was NOTHING available. About August, a few of them dribbled onto the market, and we bid them up ridiculously, $125-150 for anything. After buying about 4, I finally got a really nice one (for just under $100, by then) and sold the others in the $100-120 range.

There is no doubt that there were only 2-3 of us bidding against each other, but that was enough. Once our needs were satisfied, the market stabilized. I suspect that $150 is the new $100, if you get a nice F AT you are probably lucky.

Don't complain if somebody with deeper pockets gets it. Ripster has been predicting downward demand curves for buckling springs for the last few years. I think he is wrong.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 20:13:45 »
I have mixed feelings on this.  I've done a lot of bidding on ebay and although in the moment I am left with harsh feelings after seeing 4-5 robots come in and rapidly outbid me in the last few nanoseconds it always comes down to one thing: my bid was not high enough.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 20:22:34 »
High bid wins, period.

Sniping just takes the tension out, and keeps the price as low as possible.

High early bids just turn everybody's crank, and force the price up.

Who has the time and energy to sit on top of every auction they might be interested in?

Do you stay up all night to bid on something in New Zealand?
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 20:55:19 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;611929
Sniping has totally changed the landscape forever.

The other day, I was sniping what I imagined was a rather small item on ebay. It started at $1 and was bid up to $4 in 3 bids on the second day. It stayed at $4 all week, I checked a few minutes before the auction ended, and it was still at $4.

I was sniping it at $28, and I lost it at $35 on 5 bids.

This time last year, I spent about 3 months trying to get a good Model F AT. Apparently there were 2-3 of us in the same boat.

Throughout June and July, there was NOTHING available. About August, a few of them dribbled onto the market, and we bid them up ridiculously, $125-150 for anything. After buying about 4, I finally got a really nice one (for just under $100, by then) and sold the others in the $100-120 range.

There is no doubt that there were only 2-3 of us bidding against each other, but that was enough. Once our needs were satisfied, the market stabilized. I suspect that $150 is the new $100, if you get a nice F AT you are probably lucky.

Don't complain if somebody with deeper pockets gets it. Ripster has been predicting downward demand curves for buckling springs for the last few years. I think he is wrong.

You are probably right.  I haven't seen one go anywhere near $100 since February.  The last one on ebay went for $173 iirc.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 05:55:37 »
I have used sniping to score myself a used camera and a Black Sabbath jersey. Outbid others by quite a bit too.

Remember, when you put your $ amount in, the menu will go to a confirm screen. So you should put the money in at 20 seconds, and confirm at 10 seconds.
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 09:20:09 »
I've been sniping on eBay since I first used them circa 1999.  It's the only way to get something you really want for the best price.  It works the best on obscure items, since lots of others do it too.  The ending time can also be helpful, especially if it's during business hours.  For items that I don't want that badly, I'll let proxy bidding do it's thing. It almost never works.
Russ