Author Topic: Modern buckling springs  (Read 2726 times)

Offline TheMastermind

Modern buckling springs
« on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 12:49:48 »
I really like the feel of buckling springs since they have a nice weight to them and sound really crisp. However the boards that have them aren't exactly the most modern around.
Is there a modern option that even slightly comes close to the feel and sound? I'd like to build a board that has some big with modern features.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: Modern buckling springs
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 13:23:04 »
At the risk of being the village idiot, I assume you are already aware of Unicomp and brand new model f keyboards and you're looking for something else, something that doesn't have a retro look?

If that's the case, pretty sure there is nothing out there. You could build one from the ground up but I can't imagine how hard it would be what the the curved plate design and all.
Lucky for me, I think the designs of the model Ms and Fs are near flawless and I wouldn't change a thing (as far as aesthetics).

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 14:54:05 »
Yes, there's Unicomp, and there's Ellipse's new production F62 and F77 boards, either with painstakingly recreated original Zinc cases, or modern aluminum ones.

If you want the closest modern thing to buckling spring from a modern switch, the closest I have felt are the Kailh box clickies with the thinnest click bar, since capacitive buckling spring actually has a very subtle tactile event when you remove the pressure stacking of the buckling spring itself. Another glaring difference is that the tactile event on these switches is quite high vs even membrane buckling spring. Box whites and pale blues might be something to look at if you absolutely must have a LEGO/kit, or fully custom board. You lose the sound, and they're never going to feel exactly the same. SPRiT makes what they claim to be progressive weight springs. None of the ones I have tried seemed to start to build at all (noticeably) until after the tactile event had already passed.

Ellipse's boards are literally meant to be customized any way you like. Are they too far removed from your end goal to be modified how you would prefer?

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 14:55:02 »
The currently produced Model F are a real flipping steal at $400. No joke, if you read about how the guy has painstakingly recreated the originals, that's a hulka good deck

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 09:25:33 »
What sort of modern features do you have in mind?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 10:25:05 »
I mean... What more could you want?

243389-0

243391-1

Offline funkmon

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 11:57:57 »

The freakin' F row.

(and I am in for an F77)

I know, man. Even the vertical ones through 10 would get me to buy. In the mean time I have an XT.

As for modern features, Unicomps have USB and Windows and Context Menu keys, plus their new SSK has a detachable cable.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 13:14:38 »

The freakin' F row.

(and I am in for an F77)

Lol, I’m in the same boat. Give me the F 107 and 122 all day long but these seem to fit mastermind’s preference.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 13:48:13 »

The freakin' F row.

(and I am in for an F77)

I know, man. Even the vertical ones through 10 would get me to buy. In the mean time I have an XT.

As for modern features, Unicomps have USB and Windows and Context Menu keys, plus their new SSK has a detachable cable.

You need an F107, my friend. My F77 has a detachable cable now. Just took some scrap wire from a restore, paracord, a type A USB connector, a female aviator socket and a male aviator connector. Well, and some drilling.

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 14:32:51 »
I guess I just like having a modern connection and the ability to remap the layout to suit my needs.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 14:40:55 »
I guess I just like having a modern connection and the ability to remap the layout to suit my needs.

You can do that with nearly any buckling spring board ever made, as USB converters exist for them. In the case of xwhatsit-converted IBM boards of all kinds, there's a nice utility for tweaking the mapping. In the case of xwhatsit-converted Fs (and maybe other IBM boards?), including Ellipse's reproductions, QMK has even been adapted to be used as well. Hasu's TMK firmware has a relatively user-friendly mapping utility now too I think. I haven't tried it myself.

I don't know that Unicomp offers any controller-side mapping for their boards.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 19:07:42 »

The freakin' F row.

(and I am in for an F77)

You need an F107, my friend. My F77 has a detachable cable now. Just took some scrap wire from a restore, paracord, a type A USB connector, a female aviator socket and a male aviator connector. Well, and some drilling.

I'd kill a man for an F107, but they never seem to turn up!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 17:02:33 »

You have three options here:

1) One of the keyboards from modelfkeyboards.com
2) An old Model M combined with a Soarer or Orihalcon adapter (or something similar)
3) A Unicomp USB keyboard

Unicomp can program a keyboard with a custom layout at the factory, but you cannot reprogram it yourself. The other options allow you to reprogram the keyboards yourself.