Author Topic: [IC] 60% Keyboard Case made of MARBLE : "FirstSlab60"! (GB on 06/13)  (Read 64889 times)

Offline chanchan

• atxkb
Re: [IC] 60% Keyboard Case made out of MARBLE !
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 04:34:30 »
I don't think I'll be getting one, but it's a cool idea and I'm excited to see how the prototype comes out.

Offline MarbleKeeb

• Bring Marble to Keyboards
    • MarbleK Website
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:19:42 »
I don't think I'll be getting one, but it's a cool idea and I'm excited to see how the prototype comes out.

Yes, just to be able to see how it look, I can't wait the prototype !
I am gonna pressure a bit more the manufacturer   :p

Offline dak148

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:45:07 »
A green one that is at least 65% and cut at an angle would def be an endgame board. I hope you will be able to do one in the future.

Offline gminso

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 12:59:49 »
if I choose not to have the feet (use flat), will you still drill the holes?

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 09:30:13 »
A green one that is at least 65% and cut at an angle would def be an endgame board. I hope you will be able to do one in the future.

I definitively hope too  ;)

if I choose not to have the feet (use flat), will you still drill the holes?

Yes, the holes for the feet will be drilled on all the pieces. I do not have the possibility to customize a few of them :/

Offline Starius

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 16:36:41 »
Oh man, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this project. 
Very interested in a marble keyboard!  :thumb:

Offline dannyny

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 20:53:47 »
interested for sure.

Offline tskiller

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 21:08:55 »
This is a cool idea! But I gotta have my arrows. I'm gonna hold out for 65%.

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 04:57:44 »
Just to provide an update, my usual manufacturer still cannot make the prototype. :/

For diverse reasons/changes, they currently need to focus only on the big productions.. (hundreds of clock walls and similar stuff)
Especially as this prototype is a complicated piece to manufacture.

That impacts a bit my "marble wrist rests" production, but it is still okay. However, for the marble case, I am trying to find another local manufacturer who could do it.

I will keep you updated :)

Offline Kaleidoua

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 06:01:14 »
For sub 300 price, it looks very cool and unique! Interested!

Offline monkeyclass

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 03:28:06 »
Finally created an account here after lurking for a long time just to say how cool this is! Looking forward to see where it will go.

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 17:11:34 »
I'm in.

How heavy is the board without the PCB or any switches and key caps?

Offline econeuler

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 07:51:21 »
Very cool project! I will definitely follow this! Thank you  :)

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 01:42:19 »
Hello !

Some good news !
I found a new manufacturer (in Taiwan) for the case. They do more small series and unique pieces. :thumb:
I changed a little bit the design, it will be angled. I will try to make a render soon.

Cost should be a bit higher with this manufacturer, but I still hope to keep a price below 300 USD.

And the best : the prototype is currently being made ! (finally)

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 10:22:20 »
I think this is super cool!

Offline darkcl

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 10:29:52 »
Super cool concept

I wonder how it sounds like when typing on this case

Offline SLPNick

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:00:11 »
I never considered a 60% but the uniqueness of this project is intriguing :cool:

Offline gex

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 00:01:42 »
to be honest i like the other render better (the white one). is it possible to do a pure white finish like the ceramic apple watch case? i don't know anything about marble so it could have sounded stupid but a smooth rounded white finish would be my endgame. especially in 60%.

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 06:09:04 »
to be honest i like the other render better (the white one). is it possible to do a pure white finish like the ceramic apple watch case? i don't know anything about marble so it could have sounded stupid but a smooth rounded white finish would be my endgame. especially in 60%.

Pure white with natural marble is not really possible, much easier to achieve with artificial stones (quartz,..)
There are some "pure white" marble in Greece/Italy, but even that should not be perfectly white.
Work on marble is more manual than on other materials so to have a regular/accurate rounded shape is not easy.
But I will probably try it one day :)

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 10:36:59 »
I finally made some quick and dirty renders for the new design :

243393-0
243395-1
243397-2
243399-3

The biggest difference is that the piece is angled  :thumb:

Don't hesitate to share your feelings  ;)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 11:15:04 »
I don't think 'quick and dirty' renders do a natural material like marble any favours but the angle is an improvement :thumb:

Is it still 6 degrees?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline gex

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 11:16:44 »
Pure white with natural marble is not really possible, much easier to achieve with artificial stones (quartz,..)
There are some "pure white" marble in Greece/Italy, but even that should not be perfectly white.
Work on marble is more manual than on other materials so to have a regular/accurate rounded shape is not easy.

that pure white would do it for me. i just don't like the very dark stripes or patterns on the white. but a less "dirty" or what's the correct term is would be perfectly fine for me. these new renders on the other hand... just insert the shut up and take my money meme. gorgeous! :)

what's your experience with marble in everyday usage? is it going to shine where you touch it or how hard and resistant is the material? i'm quite familiar with marble as floor but that's very far from my eyes and i never examined any one of them. how about cerakoting them? is it possible? maybe that'd give me the perfect white i'm after but i'd still feel the weight and the temperature of the marble.

Offline interviewz

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 11:33:54 »
dope !!!

Offline Starius

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 16:04:26 »
I dig it!   :thumb:

And every single one made would be truly unique.  Pretty cool. 

My only concern with a unusual material like this is that hopefully it doesn't end up like the Lumina.  Also, I would think there might be some specific shipping cautions....   but otherwise, I like everything about this concept and design!

Offline EugeneYap83

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 22:11:24 »
‘Portoro Buono‘ would look nice.

‘Sequoia Brown’ looks like a love child of a wood and rock

Offline jaykeebz

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 17:40:09 »
This is so gaudy and over the top that I want to hate it, but I have to love it! Definitely endgame material.

I'm very interested in how the prototypes turn out.

Offline monkeyclass

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 00:27:54 »
I like the angled look (even if the renders look like cheap 3d prints). However, I am a little concerned what the angled marble will do to the overall cost of the case. Won't it make it take extra time in a CNC machine?

Offline OmikronApex

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 04:57:42 »
I need this to work out alongside GMK Sparta. Endgame right there.

Offline gordonderp

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 08:26:35 »
Will this have removable posts? Tray mounts are a lot better without the two middle posts.

Offline jaykeebz

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 16:16:12 »
Will this have removable posts? Tray mounts are a lot better without the two middle posts.

Maybe this is off topic, but why do you say they're better without the middle posts? I'm still somewhat new to building keyboards, but wouldn't that just make the board flex more when typing?

Offline gordonderp

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 16:38:47 »

Maybe this is off topic, but why do you say they're better without the middle posts? I'm still somewhat new to building keyboards, but wouldn't that just make the board flex more when typing?

Yep, the flex is desirable to some people because it makes for a less harsh bottom out. Also one of the disadvantages of a tray mount board is the uneven typing experience, removing the two middle posts makes the mount symmetrical and helps the board feel more balanced.

Offline jyon

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 17:22:20 »
The whiter one looks the nicest imo. Super clean aesthetics compared to the other ones. I'm veryyy interested in the acoustics for one of those bad boys!

Offline jmsp0511

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 17:32:22 »
oh wow, i wonder how heavy it will be, it looks really cool though

Offline jaykeebz

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 10:41:34 »

Well my quick back-of-the-envelope calculation of a slab of marble with dimensions 35cm x 12cm x 2.5cm and a density of 2.711 g/cm^3 yields ~2847 grams.

This doesn't account for the cavity where the parts will sit, nor the final dimensions of the board and so on... but it's probably safe to estimate a completed board will be between 2-3 kg (4.4-6.6 lbs). Pretty hefty :)

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 10:36:52 »
Have been a bit busy recently, let's try to reply to all the different questions  :thumb:

I don't think 'quick and dirty' renders do a natural material like marble any favours but the angle is an improvement :thumb:

Is it still 6 degrees?

It will be a 4 degrees angle :)

that pure white would do it for me. i just don't like the very dark stripes or patterns on the white. but a less "dirty" or what's the correct term is would be perfectly fine for me. these new renders on the other hand... just insert the shut up and take my money meme. gorgeous! :)

what's your experience with marble in everyday usage? is it going to shine where you touch it or how hard and resistant is the material? i'm quite familiar with marble as floor but that's very far from my eyes and i never examined any one of them. how about cerakoting them? is it possible? maybe that'd give me the perfect white i'm after but i'd still feel the weight and the temperature of the marble.

Let's wait for the photos of the prototype to see how it will look :)
The marble used this time is Carrara marble !
It should be more white with some light grey stripes.

I do not plan to Cerakote them, I would prefer to use a perfect white artificial stone like Quartzite.
It would make me feel bad to paint some beautiful marble.. :/

I dig it!   :thumb:

And every single one made would be truly unique.  Pretty cool. 

My only concern with a unusual material like this is that hopefully it doesn't end up like the Lumina.  Also, I would think there might be some specific shipping cautions....   but otherwise, I like everything about this concept and design!

I have been doing GBs/sales of marble wrist rests for more than a year, I am confident that I can do a case now :)
I will also limit the size of the first GB to 20 pieces to not go crazy right at the beginning.
My manufacturer is in Taiwan, where I am myself.

‘Portoro Buono‘ would look nice.

‘Sequoia Brown’ looks like a love child of a wood and rock

Great suggestions, depending of what I can get my hands on :)
I would also like to promote Taiwan's marble !

I like the angled look (even if the renders look like cheap 3d prints). However, I am a little concerned what the angled marble will do to the overall cost of the case. Won't it make it take extra time in a CNC machine?

Ssshhhhh that's a secret !! My poor laptop cannot do much better than 3d prints.. especially with summer heat :/

It is still okay, the final price will be around 300USD  :thumb:
Waiting for the prototype and negotiate the price / MOQ.

Those will be some standard PCB standoffs, so it can be easily removed.

Well my quick back-of-the-envelope calculation of a slab of marble with dimensions 35cm x 12cm x 2.5cm and a density of 2.711 g/cm^3 yields ~2847 grams.

This doesn't account for the cavity where the parts will sit, nor the final dimensions of the board and so on... but it's probably safe to estimate a completed board will be between 2-3 kg (4.4-6.6 lbs). Pretty hefty :)

That's not far off ! With the volume of the CAD design, I get 2335 grams  :thumb:
Heavy like we like it, but shipping not gonna be cheap :/

Offline OmikronApex

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 06:38:27 »
I have been doing GBs/sales of marble wrist rests for more than a year, I am confident that I can do a case now :)
I will also limit the size of the first GB to 20 pieces to not go crazy right at the beginning.
My manufacturer is in Taiwan, where I am myself.

20 pieces? I hope I'm fast enough to get one once the GB starts.

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 10:04:25 »
Hello !

Time for an update on everything going-on in the back ! And a lot happened !

First, of all, the photos of the first prototype made out of Italian Carrara Marble :
Let's make it clear, it is an unfinished, unpolished, not angled prototype, mainly to check the dimensions are good and doable.

245854-0
245856-1
245858-2
245860-3
245862-4
245864-5

Following this prototype, I decided to made a few changes on how the PCB will be fixed to the marble.
I will use a aluminum plate glued to the marble.

Also, please ! Help me on this IC by filling thie survey below !
Your point of view is more than welcome  :thumb:
https://forms.gle/ArBn7EBjtgfoCXUs7

Thanks a lot !

Offline nathanchere

Since this looks like it i cut from a single slab of marble Im guessing the likehilood of a HHKB top is somewhere between zero and none?

Offline piercejenkins

An option with built in wrist rest would be awesome!!!

Offline keyberzerker

really looking forward to at least 65% if not TKL...

that would be amazing... :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
If you're doing an aluminum plate glued to the bottom is there any way you could design removable/swappable standoffs?  Some people prefer to not have the middle standoff for 60% boards to make bottoming out less harsh on the fingers.  Also, recent boards like the Mekanisk Type-X have offered standoffs that have a softer material like rubber to slightly cushion the typing expereince.  Could be some cool customizing options to offer :)

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
If you're doing an aluminum plate glued to the bottom is there any way you could design removable/swappable standoffs?  Some people prefer to not have the middle standoff for 60% boards to make bottoming out less harsh on the fingers.  Also, recent boards like the Mekanisk Type-X have offered standoffs that have a softer material like rubber to slightly cushion the typing expereince.  Could be some cool customizing options to offer :)

I did not talk much about the standoff, because I am still working on it.
For sure, they will be customized standoff that are removable.
And thanks for talking about the Mekanisk boards, it seems I had similar ideas for the dampening :eek:
But it is still under work so I will see ..

Since this looks like it i cut from a single slab of marble Im guessing the likehilood of a HHKB top is somewhere between zero and none?
Yes, for now I can only do case out of "one piece" of marble.
For a HHKB keyboard, it would be more complex with a metal frame...and even more costly :/ But why not if I can do it one day :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Have you thought about giving it a name?  Would be easier to market.  Just spitballing here:

Marble60
Metamorphic60
Gleaming60
Solid60
The Slab
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 July 2020, 23:10:06 by pixelpusher »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
Have you thought about giving it a name?  Would be easier to market.  Just spitballing here:

Marble60
Metamorphic60
Gleaming60
Solid60
The Slab

True, I need a name and I was thinking of something very close to your proposal "FirstSlab 60".
Not a big fan of using "First" but it is the only time I will have the opportunity to do  :D

Offline MarbleKeeb

• MarbleK Website
Re: [IC] 60% Keyboard Case made out of MARBLE : "FirstSlab60"! (06/27)
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 03:00:04 »
Hello !

Thanks everybody for the many many replies to the IC form : https://forms.gle/ArBn7EBjtgfoCXUs7
Those are really important to me ! :thumb:

In the main feedbacks :

About the design :
- A lot of people would like a higher angle than 4 degrees : 5 to 7
      => more angle, means I need more material to make it (taller case, more cost, heavier,..) and it also affect the global design. That is why I think I will rather propose some optional rubber/silicone feet (2 or 3mm) that will give it a bit more angle.

- Bezel are too thick (or too thin for some) : By a rule of thumb, marble cannot be thinner than 1cm (1/6") if we want it to be robust.
   => I may go thinner or larger for later cases, but for a first case, I prefer to insure it is robust with a safety margin. As well thicker bezel = more marble to admire !

- About the colors that are wanted for future iterations, as I saw many requests, I want to precise that there is no natural marble with gold inserts. At best some marbles have "yellow/orange" inserts.

Current status :
- Still working on the PCB fixation solution, steel plate with custo removable standoff and custo adhesive rubber washers to put on the standoff for damping, (checking with manufacturers)
- Waiting for the second prototype from the marble manufacturer.
- Will need to source the small parts : screws, rubber adhesive feet,..
- Make a nice packaging ?! (MOQ will be the issue here..)

« Last Edit: Sun, 19 July 2020, 03:16:12 by MarbleKeeb »

Offline glowcloud

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:49:58 »
Thanks for the update email! I actually like the thick bezel and lower angle so I'm pretty happy. I look forward to seeing the next steps!

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 03:33:01 »
Following this prototype, I decided to made a few changes on how the PCB will be fixed to the marble.

I may not be understanding, but wouldn't this prevent the switches from being soldered into the PCB? Or would whoever is building the board glue the PCB and/or plate? What about if any modifications have to be made?

Offline splodeybaloney

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 19:45:39 »

I may not be understanding, but wouldn't this prevent the switches from being soldered into the PCB? Or would whoever is building the board glue the PCB and/or plate? What about if any modifications have to be made?

Different plate, not the switch plate. I think the idea is to glue a piece of aluminum to the bottom of the cavity in the marble to use as an attachment point for the standoffs that hold the actual switch plate in place

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 06:48:14 »
definitely in the market for this, and the bigger bezels the better (IMO)!

I know that the estimated pricing is 200-300USD, but is there an estimate on the price of shipping to the States? With it being so heavy and a bit fragile, I imagine it can't be cheap...
|