Author Topic: Which keycap profile after DSA?  (Read 5249 times)

Offline snarfarlarkus

Which keycap profile after DSA?
« on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 03:30:18 »
I know its all personal preference but I'm just here to see what you guys have to say about this.

So I'm currently using DSA keycaps with 67g zealios switches and I kind of want to try something different. Which profile should I try? been eyeing out SA. I feel like cherry would be quite similar to DSA since they are short keycaps but their shape are quite different. Its quite hard to find a set of SA caps as well so if all falls through I'll either go with cherry or oem profile. Cheers!

Offline seville57

Re: Which keycap profile after DSA?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 06:48:28 »
I know its all personal preference but I'm just here to see what you guys have to say about this.

So I'm currently using DSA keycaps with 67g zealios switches and I kind of want to try something different. Which profile should I try? been eyeing out SA. I feel like cherry would be quite similar to DSA since they are short keycaps but their shape are quite different. Its quite hard to find a set of SA caps as well so if all falls through I'll either go with cherry or oem profile. Cheers!

Hi

Don't know if you have checked here: http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjtrOm8wLTPAhVMiywKHb4QCwEQjBAIJTAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpimpmykeyboard.com%2Fkeysets%2F&usg=AFQjCNHgDyes7ZGMoaVS4auGOwftOQiTgg

I have the Jukebox SA keycaps set (from the first round on Massdrop), but this is my first and only SA keycaps set, I like DSA better, I have the DSA Galaxy Class keycaps set from Massdrop.

https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWz5TEw7TPAhXEjCwKHcHNB7EQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.massdrop.com%2Fbuy%2Fgalaxy-keycaps-set&usg=AFQjCNG6ccIbQqhsrCXTQzRqhjKJIqOVdg

Edit: Right now I'm waitin for my DSA Royal Navy keycaps set: http://www.mechsupply.co.uk/product/dsa-royal-navy
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 September 2016, 12:22:21 by seville57 »

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 08:22:08 »
I would try GMK (Cherry).

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 11:25:25 »
Cherry profile. Splurge on some GMK.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 15:29:11 »
If you are interested in sphericals then SA is your only other option. And as you've noticed, they are not easy to acquire. You have to get in on the group buys when they happen (and then wait many months to receive them) or hunt for used sets. Unfortuantely, they rarely come up for resale, and when they do they get snatched up fast.*

If you are interested in cylindricals then I can't help you. I don't use them. But the suggestions to go with GMK or Cherry are the most common I read here.

* If you do go hunting for used SA sets, you probably want to look elsewhere. When it comes to used keycaps, the geekhack classifieds forum is basically a marketplace for artisans and little else. Used SA sets occasionally pop up but that signal usually gets lost in all the noise. You'll probably have better luck watching in the Deskthority Marketplace forum instead.

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 21:09:33 »
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I heard GMK are one of the highest quality caps you can acquire but people complain about their use of ABS plastic? Should I be concerned about that?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 20:07:59 »
Best to try out PBT caps and decide.  I admit that I do enjoy them and would like to see more PBT offerings but have also yet to try GMK caps which are supposedly very good ABS caps.  Given I've got a set of GMKs waiting for me at home, I'll find out soon enough.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 18:01:02 »
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I heard GMK are one of the highest quality caps you can acquire but people complain about their use of ABS plastic? Should I be concerned about that?

Not really, it's overblown. There's nothing quite like typing on well-loved GMK/OG Cherry caps. The only ABS caps you need to be wary of is thin OEM caps that every keyboard manufacturers seem so fond of.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 01:40:37 »

Not really, it's overblown. There's nothing quite like typing on well-loved GMK/OG Cherry caps. The only ABS caps you need to be wary of is thin OEM caps that every keyboard manufacturers seem so fond of.

Just threw some GMK caps on, switching out the DSA caps.  There's definitely a difference.  My MX reds board is a bit less noisy and it does seem a tad bit better to type on.

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 19:43:46 »
~There's always DCS~

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 20:54:06 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 04:47:29 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 12:22:49 »

Having just moved from DSA to GMK, they are different.  Cherry are a bit low but DSA isn't sculptured while Cherry is.  There's also a difference in typing sound and material texture.  SA is certainly an option.  There's an SA set up on MassDrop at the moment if you want to buy that.  It won't actually be delivered until next year but it's a guaranteed thing.  You can also wait to see what shows up on the Pimk My Keyboard site and see if they've got extras left over to sell.

Offline Laurel

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 17:39:24 »
Maybe look for cheap MY G81 Cherry keyboard to try Cherry profile?