Author Topic: GMK Minority Keycap Alliance  (Read 1970 times)

Offline KHAANNN

GMK Minority Keycap Alliance
« on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 12:11:14 »
The idea is to gather a small group of like minded people, and piggyback vital extras like "1.25 Cmd" keycaps around each GMK GB (Vital for OSX Users)

Same applies for Bumped F/J keycaps, since some GMK runs still include only the scoop options
Same applies for weird layouts, for example, if a split keyboard has a 2.75 blank spacebar, but a set original doesn't include one, 5-6 enthusiasts could make it a reality

If 150x of a single keycap costs, let's say, 200 euros, even if only 4 people are interested in such an endeavour for each GB, it would reduce the cost to 50 euros for each person

Let's say a keycap set costs ~125$ and it's 95% perfect, if paying 50 more euros is going to make it 99%+ perfect, I would gladly pay it myself (Actually I would easily pay 2x of the original cost, to have a full ass keycap set, instead of an half ass one)

We might test the idea for the GMK Carbon set, if there are any OSX Users around, we might order 150x 1.25 Cmd's, around the time of the Carbon ISO Drop, so the color matches perfectly
(Or maybe for Originative's WoB, or OG WoB's)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: GMK Minority Keycap Alliance
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:01:39 »
Seems like massive overkill. You have to remember, you're not paying 50 euros for ONE keycap. You're paying for 50, or 150, or however many. That seems like an ENOURMOUS waste of resources and space.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:08:54 »
What I would suggest, is to come up with an ideal mockup that covers most users.  Thats what radio_killah and did with the modsets we ran.  You could then try and spin that set to gb runners if the time comes.  I think the hardest part about putting together a GB is determining which extra keys everyone wants.  If you are set on this idea, I think it would really help GB runners if you did the legwork for them in providing a good mockup that covers most peoples needs in a set.

GMK has lowered their prices and MOQ recently, so I don't see why this would be an issue in the future from a price standpoint.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:52:31 »
Seems like massive overkill. You have to remember, you're not paying 50 euros for ONE keycap. You're paying for 50, or 150, or however many. That seems like an ENOURMOUS waste of resources and space.

Not from my point of view, it's essentially 50 pieces of small plastic, think of it as a single toy, or a small lego set, less plastic than that

It's apparent we all value and praise our keyboards and keysets a lot, try to look at it from that point of view

What I would suggest, is to come up with an ideal mockup that covers most users.  Thats what radio_killah and did with the modsets we ran.  You could then try and spin that set to gb runners if the time comes.  I think the hardest part about putting together a GB is determining which extra keys everyone wants.  If you are set on this idea, I think it would really help GB runners if you did the legwork for them in providing a good mockup that covers most peoples needs in a set.

GMK has lowered their prices and MOQ recently, so I don't see why this would be an issue in the future from a price standpoint.

Most keysets lack 1 or 2 keycaps to make them compatible to a subset, with the above calculations it's 50-100 euros

When you combine these subsets into a larger "irregular interests" set, there might be 10-12 keycaps, at that point, it becomes a small GB, money transfer becomes an issue, logistics becomes an issue, feasibility becomes an issue, so I don't favour that idea much - running a GB isn't easy, but ordering keycaps are, that's my point

------

Ideally, for example, MassDrop could add such a feature, there could be multiple compartmentalized interest packs, for example, "A Bumped Homing Kit", a "Small Spacebars Kit", an "OSX Kit" - people could pledge at $20 per kit, while the cost is $2 per kit, then they would get 10 packs instead of 1, and 15 kits would sell. For the same set, if 20 people join, it could be $10 per kit. So basically, at sub-150, people would pledge for 1+ sets - If the set somehow reached 150 MOQ, it would be no different than a regular add-on

------

What I'm proposing is easier for <10 people, at >10, shipping/money becomes a burden, pay $50 for a bunch of keycaps, the leader of the small-run could ship keycaps to <10 participants, give-away your extra keycaps at a gathering, keep them as keepsakes, aftermarket them if you have the time/energy/interest, doesn't matter
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:54:21 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days