Author Topic: What do people normally do with leftover keys from a set?  (Read 3665 times)

Offline MJL

What do people normally do with leftover keys from a set?
« on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 03:10:43 »
Just ordered a Leopold FC660M and a full Leopold PBT dye-sub keycap set from South Korea. I wonder what people normally do with the left over keys after they've finished: do they sell the remainder off or do they keep the set complete so that when they sell the keyboard off they can put the original keys back on and still have a complete (supplementary) set for just in case they go to a bigger board?

Please your thoughts, what do you do? Thank you in advance.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
Re: What do people normally do with leftover keys from a set?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 03:23:01 »
Keep them, coz you are right, you might sell your current board or sell the keycaps.

Either way its better to keep the complete set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wodan

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 03:33:17 »
Come up with a decent storage solution for your keycap sets. I really recommend keeping individual kits together.

My preferred solution are these organizers:
https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/storing-sorted-things-t14184.html#p319762

As mentioned before, never break up the kits! You keyboard may break or you might come across a keyboard you like more ... or you might want to sell the caps to free some money for other things. In all these cases, you will regret having split up the kits.

Offline MJL

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 03:43:26 »
Thank you, that's settled then, I've got plenty of space to store them and don't need the money.

Offline benderkey

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 10:13:14 »

Intense!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:13:31 »
Indeed nice storage solutions

I just put them in a zip-lock bag, place them deep inside a drawer, and forget about them

I had a storage solution for my DSA collection, but the plastic containers they sell here are toxic, it's a weird cancerous type of plastic, the heavy plastic scent never fades away, so it seems simpler putting keyboard related stuff in zip-locks, sometimes zip-locks inside zip-locks inside zip-locks inside bigger zip-locks
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 19:17:14 »
I was thinking of investing in some NKPC keycap holders and hang them up to display in my room.

Cant justify spending 15 dollars on one though (I have quite a few keysets) so I opt'd for zip lock bags in the back of my closet.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 20:46:57 »
is it true that GMK caps scratch each other when they are placed in zippy bags? 

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 20:54:19 »

yes :(

during shipping tho
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline seville57

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 09:58:20 »
Just ordered a Leopold FC660M and a full Leopold PBT dye-sub keycap set from South Korea. I wonder what people normally do with the left over keys after they've finished: do they sell the remainder off or do they keep the set complete so that when they sell the keyboard off they can put the original keys back on and still have a complete (supplementary) set for just in case they go to a bigger board?

Please your thoughts, what do you do? Thank you in advance.

I use all of them if the set is 108 keys, I have some 108 keys k - boards. I have some 104 keycaps sets too, so I missin 4 caps.

I have the 104 keys Tai - Hao Miami set, so I bought a second set and used F1 - F4  to get a full 108 keys set some time ago. Now I use 4 artisan keycaps.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 11:39:01 »

Sometimes. There is very little scratching on any of my GMK, and if there is, it's from me doing something stupid with it.

It's not a definite.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 17:37:28 »
Just ordered a Leopold FC660M and a full Leopold PBT dye-sub keycap set from South Korea.
So,  do you have a spare stepped middle-stemmed Caps Lock you are willing to give up?
I saw that this guy/girl (Ashlyn) is looking for a TKL with a stepped Caps Lock .. but apparently already has a Leopold TKL.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 October 2016, 17:44:40 by Findecanor »

Offline MJL

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 19:56:04 »
I am ambivalent towards a stepped capslock key - I have not gotten the set yet (it is in transit from Korea) so discussing it is premature. ( I will have to consider the impact of not keeping the set complete.  - The stepped capslock does not make it incomplete yet it may make it easier if I ever want to sell the whole set..... ) I did post in her thread with the link where I bought mine so she is aware of it (and I have not heard anything more).
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 October 2016, 19:58:41 by MJL »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 20:49:05 »
they sealed up in a plastic baggie and tossed in the box of purgatory, never to be seen again.

Offline MJL

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 20:57:58 »
All participants: thanks for the replies and input - am locking the thread now.