Author Topic: 10 years on GH and 1000's of keyboards... 3 remain  (Read 8442 times)

Offline didjamatic

10 years on GH and 1000's of keyboards... 3 remain
« on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 13:59:45 »
10 years to today I joined GH and this happens to be my 1337th post.  I thought I'd share what I ended up with.  I had mechanical keyboards and tinkered long before GH but really got into it when I joined this forum.

I started out with a vintage keyboard focus as a long time user, collector of vintage computers and electronics.  The original draw to mechanical keyboards was that I was tired of wearing out rubber domes (I type so much they'd get mushy within a month, and I have had some arthritis issues on and off in hands and wrists.  The mechanical keyboards came from an era where they attempted to reproduce the typing experience of the highly evolved IBM selectric typewriters.  To this day, few will ever hit the sheer volume of typing that was done on selectrics in their prime era.  We just don't do that kind of transfer of information now - we cut/paste and use OCR and other methods.  So it was Buckling Springs from IBM,  and ALPS or Cherries in the other keyboards made.  Can't tell you how many I disassembled and repaired in my garage and cap sets and cases I soaked in our kitchen sink.

Some of you may know that I did the GHSS (Geek Hack Space Saver) with Imav's permission and encouragement and worked with Signature Plastics to create the caps for it.  It was a NOS Siig Minitouch with a few green caps, puller and came in a canvas bag wrapped with a lime green yo-yo string.  Initially SP was not interested in doing anything but basic lettering in their existing formats and fonts but I got them to tell me the graphics format their system used which was .svg and provided them a star graphic in that format and convinced them to at least try it.  They did and successfully created a doubleshot cap from a star shaped graphic file.  No big deal by today's standards but at the time it was pretty cool, to me.  Sixty made some Red Esc keys and Geek Hack keys from them at the same time.  I think he beat me to getting his done first.  I kind of miss those days where it was a lot about re-discovery of long forgotten tech.  As the years went on, you guys took it to new places with custom controllers, protocol translators, relays, machined cases and artisan caps.  So cool.

Anyway, after buying and selling a few thousand keyboards (literally) - vintage, NOS and modern, I whittled those down to about 100 which I kept for several years.  Then last year I decided to simplify and sold off all but 3.  I even sold my collection of terminal boards and beam springs.  What 3 did I end up keeping?

Northgate Omnikey
PS/2 and ADB ports.  Thick steel backplate  White ALPS but these particular ones are indestinguishable from any of the best blue alps I've had.   Inverted T arrow cluster rather than the omnikey cluster which some have.  This keyboard is so heavy and well made, it has to be handled to be appreciated.  They come with spare caps to convert to DVORAK if you wish and can do so with the flip of a dip swtich.  Programmable macros.  Even a tunable key repeat rate.  They include a keyboard dust cover and cap puller as well as detachable cable.  This is a keyboard I truly appreciate for it's own sake.  If it had cherry browns I'd use it as a daily driver.

IBM PC AT Model F w/model M key layout
The fastest I've ever consistently typed is on this keyboard.  A few key swaps and you have a Model M layout.  The only downside is the noise level which isn't ideal for all environments. This one was stripped and detailed by Scheng who was a member on here years ago and i'll never part with it.

Das Keyboard Professional 4 w/blank PBT caps
For me, this is the pinnacle of input achievement thus far.  The full layout with inverted T cluster, dedicated numpad, media keys and the excellent volume knob placement make this a true winner.  I think it's far better than the newer Das they just released.  The cherry brown switches are still my favorite daily drivers after all of these years.  The only downside to the Das4 is it's terrible key caps.  The lettered versions wear out fast for my coworkers.  I use the professional model with blank keys and the caps shine very fast and aren't the greatest sounding either.  A set of textured, blank PBT caps solves this entirely.  I've been running this setup at work and at home for 5 years now and love them.  I personally feel you give up a lot when going to smaller layouts.  I tried separate numpads and nothing worked as well for me as a full original Model M style layout.  Do not underestimate the usefulness of the mute key and volume knob.

Layouts
I tried ISO, Dvorak, Colemak and did a lot of experimentation with AHK but in the end, I only do one layout mod - Map the caps lock key to left ctrl on an ANSI Qwerty keyboard. 
This is such a huge increase in efficiency to have control there at your left pinky.  Once you do that for a couple of weeks, you'll never want to go back to anything else.  I use SharpKeys from RandyRants to do the key mapping. (Northgates do it automatically with a dip switch and include caps to swap)

For me, I get all of the nostalgia and history from the model F and the Northgate and all of the modern input capability from the DAS4.  So I'm pretty happy with those.  But I lurk often and am sure something will catch my eye soon enough. ;)

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 14:19:08 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
Re: 10 years on GH and 1000's of keyboards... 3 remain
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 16:44:08 »
happy cake day!

Glad to see that you've found what you loved coming across these 10 years of experience.
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 16:52:31 »
You've tried everything and your favourite switch is Cherry browns? :eek:

Glad you found your endgame boards and your reasoning was an interesting read so thanks for posting.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 16:59:10 »
That's the dream :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 16:59:50 »
was really expecting the Topre circle jerk, pleasant surprise. happy 10, and 1337 posts
I love Elzy

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 17:15:31 »
I've owned at least 6 Realforce Topres and love them.  (103UB 45g, 103UB varibale, 103U variable, 87u variable, 87u 45g, 87u 55g) The trick with them is you need to stay off of other switches for a couple of weeks and use them exclusively.  You end up feeling the different kind of "hover" they require and you end up typing insanely fast on them.  The second fastest I've ever typed consistently was with a Topre 87U variable weight keyboard.  Some of their variables are too light on the pinkies so you bump keys on accident (they seem to do this on the full size more than tenkeyless in my experience) but a properly weighted variable or uniform 45g was always a great performer for me - IF you isolate yourself to only using Topre.  If you're swapping boards too often, you won't realize the benefits of Topre as well.

But, I prefer cherry browns.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 17:48:53 by didjamatic »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 18:59:50 »
Very interesting post :)
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 19:08:58 »
I wonder if most of us are walking the same very route. After testing so many boards we finally get back to the basics: An standard ANSI with caps swamped for control.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 19:33:13 »
I wonder if most of us are walking the same very route. After testing so many boards we finally get back to the basics: An standard ANSI with caps swamped for control.

That was certainly the case with me, and with some others that used to buy/sell/mod a lot.   There was a lot of thought that went into the Model M and similar layouts when they were created.  Many back then had Ctrl where Capslock is now, too. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 19:35:11 by didjamatic »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 19:56:02 »
Out of curiosity, did you ever try the Kailh+Novelkeys "thick click" box jade switches? They are far and away the closest thing to a Model F feel that I have ever experienced in the MX-mount switch world.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 20:33:43 »
Out of curiosity, did you ever try the Kailh+Novelkeys "thick click" box jade switches? They are far and away the closest thing to a Model F feel that I have ever experienced in the MX-mount switch world.
Is that really the closest thing to Model F really?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 20:40:40 »
In terms of pure typing feel, it is to me.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 07:52:58 »
In terms of pure typing feel, it is to me.

Would consider them if they were not part of the key caps' broken stems drama. I have read some recent comments that even "new" batches suffer the same issue.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 07:59:14 »
I bought a cruciformer to cut the nubs off the stems just in case, though I prefer PBT caps anyway, which are supposed to be relatively immune to the problem.

You're right, though, that is a potential downside.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 09:20:02 »
I bought a cruciformer to cut the nubs off the stems just in case, though I prefer PBT caps anyway, which are supposed to be relatively immune to the problem.

You're right, though, that is a potential downside.

What other switch is close to it? I was thinking in Kailh's bronze.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 11:34:30 »
Well, I'm not sure if I tried that one in particular. I have a lot of experience with genuine Cherry switches, then I got a Novelkeys switch tester with 25 various types of switches from Cherry, Gateron, Kailh, Zeal, and perhaps a few others. Almost all of them were variations on the original Cherry feel. But the Kailh box switches are different. For lack of a better term, there's a big "cliff" of force drop off at actuation that's tactally reminiscent of the Model F spring buckling.

If you look at the IBM and Novelkeys force plots on https://plot.ly/~haata, you'll see what I mean about the big force drop at actuation. To me the Box Jade feels similar to my F-122, and the Box Navy (heavier) feels more like my SSK.

I think a feel that's midway in weight between the two would be ideal. I need to experiment more with aftermarket slightly heavier springs in the box jade to see if it improves the overall experience.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 11:41:22 »
10 years to today I joined GH and this happens to be my 1337th post.  I thought I'd share what I ended up with.  I had mechanical keyboards and tinkered long before GH but really got into it when I joined this forum.

I started out with a vintage keyboard focus as a long time user, collector of vintage computers and electronics.  The original draw to mechanical keyboards was that I was tired of wearing out rubber domes (I type so much they'd get mushy within a month, and I have had some arthritis issues on and off in hands and wrists.  The mechanical keyboards came from an era where they attempted to reproduce the typing experience of the highly evolved IBM selectric typewriters.  To this day, few will ever hit the sheer volume of typing that was done on selectrics in their prime era.  We just don't do that kind of transfer of information now - we cut/paste and use OCR and other methods.  So it was Buckling Springs from IBM,  and ALPS or Cherries in the other keyboards made.  Can't tell you how many I disassembled and repaired in my garage and cap sets and cases I soaked in our kitchen sink.

Some of you may know that I did the GHSS (Geek Hack Space Saver) with Imav's permission and encouragement and worked with Signature Plastics to create the caps for it.  It was a NOS Siig Minitouch with a few green caps, puller and came in a canvas bag wrapped with a lime green yo-yo string.  Initially SP was not interested in doing anything but basic lettering in their existing formats and fonts but I got them to tell me the graphics format their system used which was .svg and provided them a star graphic in that format and convinced them to at least try it.  They did and successfully created a doubleshot cap from a star shaped graphic file.  No big deal by today's standards but at the time it was pretty cool, to me.  Sixty made some Red Esc keys and Geek Hack keys from them at the same time.  I think he beat me to getting his done first.  I kind of miss those days where it was a lot about re-discovery of long forgotten tech.  As the years went on, you guys took it to new places with custom controllers, protocol translators, relays, machined cases and artisan caps.  So cool.

Anyway, after buying and selling a few thousand keyboards (literally) - vintage, NOS and modern, I whittled those down to about 100 which I kept for several years.  Then last year I decided to simplify and sold off all but 3.  I even sold my collection of terminal boards and beam springs.  What 3 did I end up keeping?

Northgate Omnikey
PS/2 and ADB ports.  Thick steel backplate  White ALPS but these particular ones are indestinguishable from any of the best blue alps I've had.   Inverted T arrow cluster rather than the omnikey cluster which some have.  This keyboard is so heavy and well made, it has to be handled to be appreciated.  They come with spare caps to convert to DVORAK if you wish and can do so with the flip of a dip swtich.  Programmable macros.  Even a tunable key repeat rate.  They include a keyboard dust cover and cap puller as well as detachable cable.  This is a keyboard I truly appreciate for it's own sake.  If it had cherry browns I'd use it as a daily driver.

IBM PC AT Model F w/model M key layout
The fastest I've ever consistently typed is on this keyboard.  A few key swaps and you have a Model M layout.  The only downside is the noise level which isn't ideal for all environments. This one was stripped and detailed by Scheng who was a member on here years ago and i'll never part with it.

Das Keyboard Professional 4 w/blank PBT caps
For me, this is the pinnacle of input achievement thus far.  The full layout with inverted T cluster, dedicated numpad, media keys and the excellent volume knob placement make this a true winner.  I think it's far better than the newer Das they just released.  The cherry brown switches are still my favorite daily drivers after all of these years.  The only downside to the Das4 is it's terrible key caps.  The lettered versions wear out fast for my coworkers.  I use the professional model with blank keys and the caps shine very fast and aren't the greatest sounding either.  A set of textured, blank PBT caps solves this entirely.  I've been running this setup at work and at home for 5 years now and love them.  I personally feel you give up a lot when going to smaller layouts.  I tried separate numpads and nothing worked as well for me as a full original Model M style layout.  Do not underestimate the usefulness of the mute key and volume knob.

Layouts
I tried ISO, Dvorak, Colemak and did a lot of experimentation with AHK but in the end, I only do one layout mod - Map the caps lock key to left ctrl on an ANSI Qwerty keyboard. 
This is such a huge increase in efficiency to have control there at your left pinky.  Once you do that for a couple of weeks, you'll never want to go back to anything else.  I use SharpKeys from RandyRants to do the key mapping. (Northgates do it automatically with a dip switch and include caps to swap)

For me, I get all of the nostalgia and history from the model F and the Northgate and all of the modern input capability from the DAS4.  So I'm pretty happy with those.  But I lurk often and am sure something will catch my eye soon enough. ;)

Thousands of keyboards? I only have 1

(forgets membrane)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 11:59:19 »
Browns are much better than people give them credit for. While at first they are a bit rough and loud, after a break in time, they're actually a great switch. Reds don't seem to wear in quite the same way, and other cherries are other cherries we all know.

No lube, all stock. Suffer through that scratch for about 6 months or so, maybe less if you type more than I do.

I used to trash on them because it's a big meme in the community, and admittedly was pretty funny. But I very much miss my old CM Storm with browns worn in after about 4-5 years.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 15:35:21 »
Browns are much better than people give them credit for. While at first they are a bit rough and loud, after a break in time, they're actually a great switch. Reds don't seem to wear in quite the same way, and other cherries are other cherries we all know.

No lube, all stock. Suffer through that scratch for about 6 months or so, maybe less if you type more than I do.

I used to trash on them because it's a big meme in the community, and admittedly was pretty funny. But I very much miss my old CM Storm with browns worn in after about 4-5 years.

Browns were my first try into mechs, I did not like them, even without reading the community's opinion on them. I thought that if that was how a mech feels, it was not surprising why they become sort of obsolete LOLs.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 12:01:41 »

Browns were my first try into mechs, I did not like them, even without reading the community's opinion on them. I thought that if that was how a mech feels, it was not surprising why they become sort of obsolete LOLs.

I read the previous statement wrong, my bad****

Also curious how long you used them and how much you type on average. Browns are definitely not really that good at all brand new, hence the break in mentioned.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 November 2019, 12:05:40 by DALExSNAIL »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 14:57:33 »

Also curious how long you used them and how much you type on average. Browns are definitely not really that good at all brand new, hence the break in mentioned.

The browns were installed in this board. I got it new in 2013 and sold it in 2015. I used it as a daily driver for two years. The scratchy feeling was always there.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 08:40:42 »

The browns were installed in this board. I got it new in 2013 and sold it in 2015. I used it as a daily driver for two years. The scratchy feeling was always there.

Show Image

Guess it's a YMMV situation then. I've had 2 separate boards now, both with stock browns, that over time just got much much better.

The main point to the original reply was really just to say that having browns on your daily driver, or as a favorite switch, is not entirely crazy. Noticed a reply to OP that was surprised about it being his favorite switch.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 10:17:13 »

Show Image

Guess it's a YMMV situation then. I've had 2 separate boards now, both with stock browns, that over time just got much much better.

The main point to the original reply was really just to say that having browns on your daily driver, or as a favorite switch, is not entirely crazy. Noticed a reply to OP that was surprised about it being his favorite switch.

There are always outliers, indeed. Should me be a commoner that just can't tolerate that browns' scratchy feeling.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 11:39:32 »

Show Image

There are always outliers, indeed. Should me be a commoner that just can't tolerate that browns' scratchy feeling.

Browns are just better reds tbh , except with a tactile bump.

I can type the best on browns and blues.

Why is it that Cherry's switches are scratchy AF (excepting clears , greens and greys!)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 12:31:31 »

Show Image

Why is it that Cherry's switches are scratchy AF (excepting clears , greens and greys!)

You can't compare a tactile switch to a linear and say its better da fu  :confused:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 20:01:42 »

Show Image

You can't compare a tactile switch to a linear and say its better da fu  :confused:

*whimpers*

All switches are equal then!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 20:02:13 »

Show Image

*whimpers*

All switches are equal then!

Wait wait wait that was a mistake. Let's not forget about smith-corona leaf springs here

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 22:18:47 »
This is turning into an unpopular keyboard opinions thread.  :))

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 16:16:53 »
The only Cherry browns I've had that have been "scratchy" were really old ones that had been in storage warehouses for decades.  Typing on them resolves this pretty quickly.

I'm on Cherry browns right now and they're as smooth as any switch I've tried.  Zero grit of any kind.  I wonder if some batches have molding "flash" on them.  I've seen that on plenty of caps, on cases and on the outer MX switch casings but not on the inner sliders that I can think of.  At least, not from genuine Cherry.

It's also possible that they've ramped up production and haven't kept their molds in spec so over time it has affected quality.  That's pure speculation but a very real issue with molding plastic parts.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 22:58:33 »
It really is boggling to think about where the mech kb scene was 10 years ago. It's nearly a legitimized mainstream hobby by now, a far cry from the insane lengths and work people put into their custom stuff even just 6-7 years ago.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 23:34:34 »
Yeah, it used to be really weird and niche but not anymore. 

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:41:05 »
Now you have popular tech Youtubers like Random Frank P and Brandon Taylor making custom keyboards
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 22:36:25 »
Now you have popular tech Youtubers like Random Frank P and Brandon Taylor making custom keyboards
Unfortunate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 12:03:34 »
The only Cherry browns I've had that have been "scratchy" were really old ones that had been in storage warehouses for decades.  Typing on them resolves this pretty quickly.

I'm on Cherry browns right now and they're as smooth as any switch I've tried.  Zero grit of any kind.  I wonder if some batches have molding "flash" on them.  I've seen that on plenty of caps, on cases and on the outer MX switch casings but not on the inner sliders that I can think of.  At least, not from genuine Cherry.

It's also possible that they've ramped up production and haven't kept their molds in spec so over time it has affected quality.  That's pure speculation but a very real issue with molding plastic parts.

Show Image

Show Image

Apparantly cherry claims that they are "factory lubed" when they feel scratchy and dry? How does this makes sense?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 12:24:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

Apparantly cherry claims that they are "factory lubed" when they feel scratchy and dry? How does this makes sense?

Can't speak to that really, but I imagine if they do they're very thinly lubed which could be rubbed off very quickly, or maybe it dries up too quickly and by the time you get them it basically isn't there.

I've only ever had stock browns smooth out of the box one time, and that was NOS vintage browns.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 13:36:32 »
You didn't keep a GH mini???  :)

Those are three solid keyboards.  I love the Model F and did have an Omnikey that I wish I had kept.  I always map caps lock to Ctrl...  Long time old UNIX admin...so used to that on UNIX workstation keyboards back in the day...

Offline antCB

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 18:41:46 »
It really is boggling to think about where the mech kb scene was 10 years ago. It's nearly a legitimized mainstream hobby by now, a far cry from the insane lengths and work people put into their custom stuff even just 6-7 years ago.

haven't been active here in a long while. dropping by to confirm this. 
My first "board" is basically sitting on it's og box (to keep some dust away from it) and I've bought a TKL durgod k320 with cherry browns (couldn't justify spending more that 100$ on a keeb when the other one is fine, I just wanted a smaller board). The older board was a Steelseries 6GV2 with crappy ABS plastic keycaps (huge Taiwanese enter key) and stock was Cherry MX blacks (which I have eventually swapped ALL of them out for Gateron Blues), so basically I have a "stocky"custom 6GV2.

I've also learned about this forum, at the time, cause I needed help fixing a key chatter problem with said 6GV2. 1 or 2 threads in, asking for help and what not, and I got more than I could ever wish for (basically a very thoughtful user which I can't remember the username, sent me, free of charge 5 mx black switches and a basic soldering iron kit so I could fix the problem). 

Whenever people ask me about mechs I always point them here, regardless of r/MK being very popular. An happy costumer will always come back and bring someone with them :)
Steelseries 6GV2 ISO-PT with Gateron Blues.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 18:45:07 »

My first "board" is basically sitting on it's og box (to keep some dust away from it) and I've bought a TKL durgod k320 with cherry browns (couldn't justify spending more that 100$ on a keeb when the other one is fine, I just wanted a smaller board). The older board was a Steelseries 6GV2 with crappy ABS plastic keycaps (huge Taiwanese enter key) and stock was Cherry MX blacks (which I have eventually swapped ALL of them out for Gateron Blues), so basically I have a "stocky"custom 6GV2.

I've also learned about this forum, at the time, cause I needed help fixing a key chatter problem with said 6GV2. 1 or 2 threads in, asking for help and what not, and I got more than I could ever wish for (basically a very thoughtful user which I can't remember the username, sent me, free of charge 5 mx black switches and a basic soldering iron kit so I could fix the problem). 

Whenever people ask me about mechs I always point them here, regardless of r/MK being very popular. An happy costumer will always come back and bring someone with them :)

Very similar experience to yours when I started. GH will always be my favorite spot for keyboards. Better people here than I've met anywhere else, even if I'm super toxic myself.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 18:53:09 »

Very similar experience to yours when I started. GH will always be my favorite spot for keyboards. Better people here than I've met anywhere else, even if I'm super toxic myself.

Toxic things tend to be on demand, most of the time. Yet they are not good, health-wise.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 11:40:53 »
Now, we have got people inventing switches left and right. First Zeal, then Kailh BOX, and now Silo switches

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 12:03:32 »

I am still using MX Reds but i feel like i should mod the springs. It would void the warranty though

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 12:06:41 »

I am still using MX Reds but i feel like i should mod the springs. It would void the warranty though

Your ****post game is unbeatable

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 11:24:52 »
Well, I'm not sure if I tried that one in particular. I have a lot of experience with genuine Cherry switches, then I got a Novelkeys switch tester with 25 various types of switches from Cherry, Gateron, Kailh, Zeal, and perhaps a few others. Almost all of them were variations on the original Cherry feel. But the Kailh box switches are different. For lack of a better term, there's a big "cliff" of force drop off at actuation that's tactally reminiscent of the Model F spring buckling.

If you look at the IBM and Novelkeys force plots on https://plot.ly/~haata, you'll see what I mean about the big force drop at actuation. To me the Box Jade feels similar to my F-122, and the Box Navy (heavier) feels more like my SSK.

I think a feel that's midway in weight between the two would be ideal. I need to experiment more with aftermarket slightly heavier springs in the box jade to see if it improves the overall experience.

Does anyone know how tangerines feel in this thread

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 11:27:49 »
They just feel like gateron linears. Smooth, with a little wobble. MX linears don't feel very different from each other, it's only the smoothness that differentiates them.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 05:14:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

I know what people mean when they say scratchy....but they're not really scratchy it is just they're pressing the key slowly and don't like how the tactile bump feels.

As someone else said though, once you break them in they're great....I love browns when they get some usage on them...they become very smooth and the bump feels a bit more natural...

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 11:22:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

I know what people mean when they say scratchy....but they're not really scratchy it is just they're pressing the key slowly and don't like how the tactile bump feels.

As someone else said though, once you break them in they're great....I love browns when they get some usage on them...they become very smooth and the bump feels a bit more natural...

But they are scratchy. I can't stand browns!!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 13:43:55 »

Does anyone know how tangerines feel in this thread

They're just regular milky-top Gateron linears that happen to have been from a really good batch. Nicely weighted springs, lighter than rated though.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline smackmountain

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 19:58:38 »
I passed a Das Keyboard Ultimate to my wife just yesterday - agree on all points regarding that line (pro series).  I swapped the keycaps for a set of PBT, and it changed everything for better.  I just wanted something more compact, using a Kira right now.  Regarding the DK's mute and knob.  To toggle NKRO you need to press shift + mute and that's the only thing I used mute for - it is otherwise pretty useless.  The volume knob, for me, it was a game changer having kids around - I could quickly drop/raise volume even while someone is hanging off my elbow.  I'm just entering this hobby and already I can see really getting into this and sticking with it for years, it's encouraging to know there's enough out there to keep the feeling going for years and years.