Author Topic: 0.4 or 0.2cm travel reduction O-Rings for WASD keyboard with Cherry MX Brown  (Read 17370 times)

Offline Blue_Ninja0

I have a WASD keyboard (V1) with Cherry MX browns and I love it with the exception that I bottom out frequently and I don't like the hard feeling on the fingers of the key bottoming out, nor the loud sound it produces.
I've decided to buy some O-Rings to dampen this. The problem is there are 2 varieties offered by WASD: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html

I don't mind some travel reduction, because I think the actual travel with no rings to the bottom is pretty big, and I was inclined to buy the blue rings (0.4 cm reduction), but at the same time I'm afraid that they might be a big overkill and change too much how the keyboard feels. In this post: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40227.msg796403#msg796403, CPTBadAss mentions that the reds feel better and that the blues "really stop actuation quickly; it feels like they stop at the click - almost mid click." Stopping at the click or mid-click is not a good thing in my eyes. And his description of the reds says that "It seems like they stop the travel right after the click", which seems much better to me. But this was all tested on a Leopold FC700R and I don't know what kind of switches he was using.

So now I'm undecided and don't know which to get. I can't get a sample pack from WASD because it ends up too expensive to pay for the postage (I live in Europe), and then pay the postage again for the O-Rings. Anyone with a WASD keyboard and brown switches that used O-Rings wants to share his opinion on how much it reduces the actuation and how much it dampens the sound and impact on the finger?
Thank you!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I have not used them on browns, but I prefer O-rings that are as thin and soft as possible.

All I want them to do is provide a shock absorber at the bottom, otherwise changing very little of the primary action.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Linkbane

I have not used them on browns, but I prefer O-rings that are as thin and soft as possible.

All I want them to do is provide a shock absorber at the bottom, otherwise changing very little of the primary action.

In that case, why not simply use soft landing pads, or is there some difference in feel?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Someone should tell em that a 4mm reduction of travel would mean that you can't actuate the switch anymore, eh?

Offline Hazel

I have a WASD with browns and the red 0.2 o-rings.  They do help with the noise, and the shortened key travel and softer bottom-out is nice.  I like them.

I haven't tried 0.4 rings, but I tried doubling up the 0.2 rings for a similar effect.  Short version: I don't like it.  When typing, the sudden bottom-out is jarring.  It feels like typing on an Apple-style chicklet keyboard.  It seems better to allow some travel so your fingers can decelerate naturally under resistance from the springs.

I still kept doubled rings on the modifiers and the arrow keys.  Holding down shift is easier, and the short travel one the arrow keys makes tap-tap-taping them quicker when navigating text.

If you're a gamer and need to tap keys repeatedly, thicker o-rings might be nice.  But not for general typing.

Offline Polymer

In that case, why not simply use soft landing pads, or is there some difference in feel?

Landing pads feel different to o-rings...Which one is best for you will all be personal preference.  Which o-rings also depends on the keycap as well...The profile, etc....If they're too thin, on some keycaps it will make no difference at all...if they're too thick, sometimes the profile will make it so the reduction is travel is so severe it isn't worth doing. 

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
I never tried a WASD keyboard.

However, I have used different kind of o-rings on browns. For me, it is not even close which one I like best. The 40 A-L (0.2) feel best to me. The actuation still feels natural and bottoming out is softer, but still feels "snappy" (not soft or spongy), and even though it might not seem like much the traveling distance is already reduced by quite a bit. But not so much that it feels odd.

I should note that I am probably an excpeption, but I actually like the browns with the o-rings. Maybe even more than without them. Though that could also just be because I tend to like whatever I have gotten used to using.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Landing pads are very different in feel. They are a foam pad that gently crushes under pressure over a fairly long distance. I prefer them on blues, but dislike them on all others.

Buy the thin soft rings. If you need more, double them.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
I'm on 50A, feels wonderful.
Really makes the stroke shorter. If you want that then 0.4 would be the best bet.
They I don't really like it too soft, it feels like membranes when it's too soft.

Offline Linkbane

Landing pads are very different in feel. They are a foam pad that gently crushes under pressure over a fairly long distance. I prefer them on blues, but dislike them on all others.

I see. Blues are certainly my favorite switch, so I'll take a look at those. Thanks for the advice!

However, I have used different kind of o-rings on browns. For me, it is not even close which one I like best. The 40 A-L (0.2) feel best to me. The actuation still feels natural and bottoming out is softer, but still feels "snappy" (not soft or spongy), and even though it might not seem like much the traveling distance is already reduced by quite a bit. But not so much that it feels odd.

I should note that I am probably an excpeption, but I actually like the browns with the o-rings. Maybe even more than without them. Though that could also just be because I tend to like whatever I have gotten used to using.

Heh, trust me, you aren't the exception. I have to say that I liked a Logitech G710+ with black o-rings a lot; it made the browns feel very snappy and responsive, because there's less empty travel afterwards, I think.

Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline neun_sechs_zwei

I have the Red/0.2mm on my Kinesis and they feel already like plenty of travel reduction. I think I must really like the feeling of bottoming out, though...

For what it's worth I have their sampler pack and I tried putting the MX Blacks and Clears with the blue o-rings; both combinations seemed to pair pretty well in the testing. (obviously limited to messing around with the individual switches)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
The travel reduction depends on the keycap profile and manufacturer, too. SP novelty caps don't have the cross-pieces, so you need multiple orings on those for example.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline luminor

still waiting for my o-ring to arrive, i bought the 0.2mm reduction from WASD, i'm going to put it on my brown, hopefully i will like the way it feels/sound, should be here this week

Offline Blue_Ninja0

I have a WASD with browns and the red 0.2 o-rings.  They do help with the noise, and the shortened key travel and softer bottom-out is nice.  I like them.

I haven't tried 0.4 rings, but I tried doubling up the 0.2 rings for a similar effect.  Short version: I don't like it.  When typing, the sudden bottom-out is jarring.  It feels like typing on an Apple-style chicklet keyboard.  It seems better to allow some travel so your fingers can decelerate naturally under resistance from the springs.

Nice! I am also inclined to get the red 40A-L (0.2cm) rings then. Can you guys confirm me that with the red rings, the travel stops just after the actuation click on the brown switches? And that the blue rings (0.4) stop almost mid-click?

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

still waiting for my o-ring to arrive, i bought the 0.2mm reduction from WASD, i'm going to put it on my brown, hopefully i will like the way it feels/sound, should be here this week

Make sure you post your opinion here when you get them! :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2014, 08:01:21 by Blue_Ninja0 »

Offline kilogeek

• Nostalgy of a time when quality was a value
I'm pretty sure brown MX with rings almost gives you the feeling you have with a high-end dome like some WYSE keyboards or Compaq RT102. Domes gives a tactile non-clicky feeling and when pressing to bottom you do feel rubber, so will do brown MX with a ring, then why spending money in a mech keyboard ? :p
"Ne pas subir" - Devise de Saint-Cyr.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Can you guys confirm me that with the red rings, the travel stops just after the actuation click on the brown switches? And that the blue rings (0.4) stop almost mid-click?

There is considerable variation, especially with regard to the length of the stem. Cap profile varies through a huge range, between keyboards, styles, and which row is involved.

With the shorter or squatter stems, there is little room for play, where longer stems can accommodate quite a stack.

With the small rings, you have the option of stacking them if a single thickness does not give you what you want.

Offline Blue_Ninja0

With the small rings, you have the option of stacking them if a single thickness does not give you what you want.

Well thought. I guess I'll go with the red rings then.