Author Topic: [GB] SA Oblivion - CONCLUDED  (Read 281200 times)

Offline avid

Re: [GB] SA Oblivion (launches August 31st 6am PT on Massdrop)
« Reply #750 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 11:57:15 »
Ordered!  ;D, can't wait for this set to get in! This will be my first SA set, so I'm also excited to check out the profile!

Let us know how you like them. In a year  :cool:

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #751 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 18:50:30 »
Ordered!  ;D, can't wait for this set to get in! This will be my first SA set, so I'm also excited to check out the profile!

WAIT! You think it will be that soon? This is an SA set from SP, I was expecting a 3+ year wait.

Offline Scarhoof

Re: [GB] SA Oblivion (LIVE on Massdrop)
« Reply #752 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 23:59:38 »
Some of us on the Massdrop forum talked about the possibility to add a handful of keys to support additional layouts like Colemak Mod-DH, Norman, and Workman. I spoke to Oblotzky and told him that I've been waiting on a key set to fully support Mod-DH for a long time and I would be willing to foot the cost to ensure the MOQ was met. After talking about the possibility to add to the existing Colevrak set, he thinks a new add-on might be a better option, rather than increasing the price of the Colevrak set.

I told him I would double check which keys are needed for these layouts, and it looks like we only need 8 keys to support three more layouts, 9 if we want to support Programmer's Dvorak (this is based on me looking up the layouts online, so please check my work).

If any set has a chance to support these niche layouts, it's this set. I want to make it happen.
Key's needed:
R2 - B D K
R3 - Y
R4 - D H L P

If we want to include Programmer's Dvorak, we would also need an R4- " so I'm posting here to see if this would be a waste of a key or if there is genuine interest in this key.

Please double check my work to make sure I didn't miss anything. I've already committed to ensuring MOQ is met, so anyone else willing to jump on this set will finally have the option to get one of these niche layouts.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #753 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 00:03:44 »

WAIT! You think it will be that soon? This is an SA set from SP, I was expecting a 3+ year wait.

10 months doesn't seem too bad. You guys saying it's not worth a wait?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #754 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 00:58:25 »

They're saying it could possibly be more than 10 months. GB's often have delays. If you expect there to be delays you'll be much happier than if you expect it to arrive in 10 months. Only you can decide if it's worth the wait.

Offline avid

« Reply #755 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 03:08:00 »

Its worth it, if you dont need the money. You can always resell them for more if one doesnt like SA profile. Put in a order, try to forget about it and suddenly it will be delivered.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2017, 03:21:41 by avid »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #756 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:51:36 »
Its worth it, if you dont need the money. You can always resell them for more if one doesnt like SA profile. Put in a order, try to forget about it and suddenly it will be delivered.

Truer words have never been spoken.  Its only when I pay close attention that these GBs become more than just a buy.  MD will get it to you.  Your money is not at risk like with other GBs.  So it gets here when it gets here.

Offline avid

« Reply #757 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 07:32:25 »

Truer words have never been spoken.  Its only when I pay close attention that these GBs become more than just a buy.  MD will get it to you.  Your money is not at risk like with other GBs.  So it gets here when it gets here.

And thats why MD and SP partnership is so great. Since SA take +9 months - there wouldn't be any paypal protection from the GB-runner.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #758 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 07:52:41 »
Some of us on the Massdrop forum talked about the possibility to add a handful of keys to support additional layouts like Colemak Mod-DH, Norman, and Workman. I spoke to Oblotzky and told him that I've been waiting on a key set to fully support Mod-DH for a long time and I would be willing to foot the cost to ensure the MOQ was met. After talking about the possibility to add to the existing Colevrak set, he thinks a new add-on might be a better option, rather than increasing the price of the Colevrak set.

I'd buy one of the sets (two if you want to run both colours).

Your list looks correct, better than my quick checking last night (given I only checked the Colevrak kit, not the Qwerty kit... it was late, that's my excuse)

I'm not a Dvorak user, so the Programmer's " doesn't bother me, I'd be buying for mod DH support also.

If only there was some way to poll the 31 purchasers of the existing Colevrak kits...

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #759 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 07:55:54 »

Your list looks correct, better than my quick checking last night (given I only checked the Colevrak kit, not the Qwerty kit... it was late, that's my excuse)

I'm not a Dvorak user, so the Programmer's " doesn't bother me, I'd be buying for mod DH support also.

If only there was some way to poll the 31 purchasers of the existing Colevrak kits...

Might as well throw in the dvorak programmer key at this point. It would be 1 kit with both colors, so like 19,99$ at 25 units. I'll whip out a render over the weekend once the list of keys has been confirmed and then bring this to Yanbo. Would be very good if we can get a few people vouching to buy it here as it's a hard sell. Thanks for the support!

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #760 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 08:25:19 »

Might as well throw in the dvorak programmer key at this point. It would be 1 kit with both colors, so like 19,99$ at 25 units. I'll whip out a render over the weekend once the list of keys has been confirmed and then bring this to Yanbo. Would be very good if we can get a few people vouching to buy it here as it's a hard sell. Thanks for the support!
If it's one kit with both colors and not more expensive than the current Colevrak kit than I'll buy it.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #761 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 22:43:56 »
Any update on the extra kit for added layout support?

I ask because I just noticed one of my Norman-using friends has joined the drop and I know he'd probably be interested!
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 September 2017, 23:02:16 by sevenseacat »

Offline tenderlove

« Reply #762 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 23:25:45 »
Some of us on the Massdrop forum talked about the possibility to add a handful of keys to support additional layouts like Colemak Mod-DH, Norman, and Workman.

+1 on a Norman layout.  I would definitely buy it!!! 💘💙💜💗💚❤💓💛💚💗

Offline ctrl

« Reply #763 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 02:09:41 »

I'm backing the inclusion of a programmer's- " !

I've been thinking about these very same things; how it'd be nice to see a keyset fully supporting programmer's dvorak, mod-DH, workman, norman etc. SA Oblivion is already one of the most versatile keysets out there. Here's to making it set the bar even higher for upcoming drops! :thumb:

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #764 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 08:47:06 »
No update in a few days here.... thinking the extra kit may not be happening after all... sadface

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #765 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 08:51:44 »
No update in a few days here.... thinking the extra kit may not be happening after all... sadface

The problem is that Yanbo is on vacation til the 13th, he's the one in contact with SP regarding this GB. Worst case we can still run it privately.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #766 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 04:03:53 »
Ah fair enough. Will be more patient :)

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #767 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 12:02:08 »
Any chance we could get a GD or GQM 2.5u spacebar in the extra additional missing keys kit?

I bought an 89u JIS and would like one. :O

EDIT: Actually does such a thing even exist?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 September 2017, 12:07:10 by clappingcactus »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #768 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 12:04:34 »
Any chance we could get a GD or GQM 2.5u spacebar in the extra additional missing keys kit?

No mold for that size

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #769 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 12:07:23 »

No mold for that size

Ah yeah just caught my mistake. :P

Offline numerofour

« Reply #770 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 14:05:33 »
Hmm I'm kinda worried about the monochrome extensions not meeting MOQ. Not sure if we can get another 14 more in 4 days ):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #771 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 14:09:23 »
Hmm I'm kinda worried about the monochrome extensions not meeting MOQ. Not sure if we can get another 14 more in 4 days ):

There's 11 orders on Taobao for it, they'll be added on the last 2 days or so

Offline numerofour

« Reply #772 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 14:10:54 »

There's 11 orders on Taobao for it, they'll be added on the last 2 days or so
Sweet! Really hope the kit gets through.

Offline avid

« Reply #773 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 14:15:54 »
Regarding the ISOs, they might not be produced? I mean there is a split between colored and monochrome so if neither set might not be produced, i think the group of people would rather buy and unite around one iso kit.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #774 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 14:20:04 »
Regarding the ISOs, they might not be produced? I mean there is a split between colored and monochrome so if neither set might not be produced, i think the group of people would rather buy and unite around one iso kit.

For now I strongly suggest to join so those numbers grow. I'm exploring an option currently to pump those numbers by a fair bit.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #775 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 16:56:59 »
FYI MOQ has been lifted for all kits as long as numbers don't go down from where they are now ;)

Total kits sold so far: 3,904
Total amount of sales: $156,852.96
If you were to buy one of each: $1,145.70  :-*

Asian proxy should add about 15% or so as far as I can tell

This GB is shaping up great! Thanks for everyone that has joined or will join soon enough!

Edit: Regarding VIM and extended Colevrak: Let's get on that once this GB has wrapped up. I don't want to burden MD much more as they are already generous with buying out remaining kits. We should be able to get those done privately.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 17:22:08 by Oblotzky »

Offline ctrl

« Reply #776 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 04:38:23 »
FYI MOQ has been lifted for all kits as long as numbers don't go down from where they are now ;)

This GB is shaping up great! Thanks for everyone that has joined or will join soon enough!

Edit: Regarding VIM and extended Colevrak: Let's get on that once this GB has wrapped up. I don't want to burden MD much more as they are already generous with buying out remaining kits. We should be able to get those done privately.

Shaping up great indeed! :thumb:

Regarding possible private add-on kits. Would it be doable to explore the possibility of a monochrome LED-keys kit?

SA Oblivion is a marvelous keyset, but not being able to afford both monochrome and Oblivion modifiers, I opted for the former because damn, that's a fine looking colorway! However, this meant the Oblivion colored LED-keys made little sense to include for me (couldn't have a green Caps breaking up my SpaceCadet). Perhaps there are others going for the monochrome mods that would like this possibility as well?

For me personally, I'd be on it even if it quite naturally means a more expensive kit.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #777 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 04:43:38 »

Regarding possible private add-on kits. Would it be doable to explore the possibility of a monochrome LED-keys kit?

SA Oblivion is a marvelous keyset, but not being able to afford both monochrome and Oblivion modifiers, I opted for the former because damn, that's a fine looking colorway! However, this meant the Oblivion colored LED-keys made little sense to include for me (couldn't have a green Caps breaking up my SpaceCadet). Perhaps there are others going for the monochrome mods that would like this possibility as well?

For me personally, I'd be on it even if it quite naturally means a more expensive kit.

Theoreticall: Probably yes, practically: not really. See how it jumps from 50 to 75 units from 40$ to 24$? Now imagine 25 units, and minus MD wholesale discount. It is unfortunate not to have but I don't really see that being possible I'm afraid.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #778 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 04:50:26 »
Fantastic news about the MOQ lifting. This will ease a lot of people's concerns and hopefully get more purchases in there!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #779 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 04:52:03 »
Fantastic news about the MOQ lifting. This will ease a lot of people's concerns and hopefully get more purchases in there!

Yup! It's still my desire, nay, my duty to have the sales hit initial MOQ's regardless. But this surely helps a lot getting there as people are more confident with that info and less on the fence/bailing.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #780 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 05:03:08 »

Theoreticall: Probably yes, practically: not really. See how it jumps from 50 to 75 units from 40$ to 24$? Now imagine 25 units, and minus MD wholesale discount. It is unfortunate not to have but I don't really see that being possible I'm afraid.

Ah, yes. That's a shame. For the monochrome LED-keys I would've been willing to join even a small, expensive GB though. Let me know if you'd decide like going through with it anyway at some point!

Offline Oblotzky

Re: [GB] SA Oblivion (LIVE on Massdrop, final 24 hours)
« Reply #781 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 02:48:38 »
Final 24 hours! GB closes tomorrow (Sept 22nd) at 7am UTC / 9am CET

Offline Oblotzky

Re: [GB] SA Oblivion (LIVE on Massdrop, final 24 hours)
« Reply #782 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 00:58:10 »
1 hour left  ;)

Offline Oblotzky

Re: [GB] SA Oblivion (Group Buy concluded, awaiting production)
« Reply #783 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 02:15:35 »
And done! Thanks so much to everyone that joined, see you next summer!  :-*

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #784 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 03:29:32 »
Thank you so much! Going into hibernation now.

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #785 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:59:49 »
Congrats on a successful GB Oblotzky! Now to try and forget about the set until it shows up on my doorstep in 8-9 months..

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #786 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 02:56:47 »
I threw a 40% kit in my order like an hour before close just in case. So excite!

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #787 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 10:08:35 »
Oblotzky, thanks for your buckets of hard work during the IC phase for this, and for being so involved and responsive to questions during the GB. Really psyched for this! This is definitely going to be one of my staple SA sets, just like the GMK version  :D
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline ctrl

« Reply #788 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 18:11:27 »
And done! Thanks so much to everyone that joined, see you next summer!  :-*

Can't wait to get next summer's build going! Tried to get enough (Oblivion/Monochrome) kits to cover all needs, physical layout wise, to be prepared for anything. Whatever comes, I have a feeling SA Oblivion is going on a permanent, daily driver kind of keyboard.

Congratulations on a well designed keyset and a successful GB, Oblotzky!

Offline lee jeong woo

« Reply #789 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 03:16:57 »
hello
I am the first to buy a keycap of Signature Plastics.

The gmk keycap is shipped in a tray

How is sp delivered?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #790 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 03:52:55 »
hello
I am the first to buy a keycap of Signature Plastics.

The gmk keycap is shipped in a tray

How is sp delivered?

SP ships in bags... not the best type of packaging I know

Offline darthzero

« Reply #791 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 05:49:36 »
not if every key gets their own bag :>
i don't even know how sp can justify shipping in ****ty bags... but that's a topic for another thread^^
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline lee jeong woo

« Reply #792 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 11:38:43 »

this is dolch set

I want a keycap in the tray.

sp gave me a disappointment
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 September 2017, 11:47:33 by lee jeong woo »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #793 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 12:11:34 »
Show Image

this is dolch set

I understand that you are displeased, but there is little I can do here. SP does not offer trays, so it wasn't even an option we chose to not select. I wish SP would do something like GMK does for kits like the mod pack in your photo for example, but unfortunately they don't.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #794 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 19:07:46 »
one of my sp sets came in a cardboard canister...

Offline kingslenkds

• www.hammerclub.org
« Reply #795 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 23:41:43 »
I see too late, I can buy?
Often make the chests are wei spark, the world only intensity (life is alive, waiting to die)

Offline lee jeong woo

« Reply #796 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 00:11:37 »
Show Image

this is dolch set

I understand that you are displeased, but there is little I can do here. SP does not offer trays, so it wasn't even an option we chose to not select. I wish SP would do something like GMK does for kits like the mod pack in your photo for example, but unfortunately they don't.

ok! i understand ^^

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #797 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 01:32:11 »
I see too late, I can buy?

The Group Buy has closed, sorry

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #798 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 14:47:00 »
Let the waiting commence

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #799 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 15:14:02 »
Is this the start of the waiting line?