Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316188 times)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #1750 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 00:38:24 »
Re-sleeved my Ath-ad500's with some violet mdpc-x and added a Rean 3.5mm plug.  Shortened the cable about a foot.  Doing my Ha-Rx500's tonight and am gonna shorten those about 4ft (cable is 10ft long). 

(Attachment Link)

Wooo. I would definitely like to get mine threaded and shortened like yours Badwrench  ;D

May I ask how you managed to shorten it?
Here's mine sitting on my lamp.

It's not hard to do.  There are a few good tutorials on Youtube and Head-fi about changing out the jack.  Sleeving is pretty standard (google: Lutro Sleeving Tutorial  ;)).  I only took a couple feet off my AT's, but the HARX's I have lost at least 5 ft. 

Here is the best place to get the 3.5mm jack:  http://www.daleproaudio.com/c-671-35mm.aspx?ManID=214&pagesize=20&sortEntity=7.  Any of the Stereo jacks will work fine. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Ekruceal

« Reply #1751 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 05:51:24 »
I own a pair of AKG K-702's, and Sony MDR-V6's.

Offline compgeke

« Reply #1752 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 15:51:23 »
My really super high end headphones!

Honestly, I"ve had these 4 three years or so, the tape is to keep the wire in place so my right channel works, I've already cut and resoldered once, cable got another short. Not really going to bother again.  However, for $25 they sound pretty good, but I'm also driving them through a Kenwood KR-4070.

Anyone know if the ATH-M30 is any good?

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1753 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 16:11:31 »
I have no idea on how the M30's sound, but in general I tend to steer away from fullsize headphones costing less than a Filco since cheaper IEM's are way better value for money at that pricepoint.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #1754 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 18:50:31 »
I'm thinking about recabling my ATH-AD900s. I love these things so much. Once they were broken in, they warmed up really nicely and I couldn't ask for a better set of headphones. Picked up a modmic for it as well, and I'd like to cable them together. I've just never done it before, so I'm concerned about getting started.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline tribade

« Reply #1755 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 22:25:32 »
I'm getting some Grado GS1000s on Saturday!  I'm so excited.  Now I have to look into some Amp/DAC combos.  I'm thinking a bifrost/asgard 2 combo. 
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline GeekMark2

« Reply #1756 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 09:30:04 »
Anyone own some Sony headphones? ZX300 or maybe MDR- XB400? Just wondering what the sound is like...I need some new ones, but can't decide which ones to get!  :confused:

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1757 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 17:58:33 »
Hey II saw the SoundMAGIC HP100 Headphones on Massdrop and I am very tempted and there seems to be a lot of good reviews on them but I am n00b with headphones and never had good ones so I would like to have some feedback on them. I would mainly use them with my computer either to watch videos, listen to music and play games.

IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1758 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:35:48 »
Hey II saw the SoundMAGIC HP100 Headphones on Massdrop and I am very tempted and there seems to be a lot of good reviews on them but I am n00b with headphones and never had good ones so I would like to have some feedback on them. I would mainly use them with my computer either to watch videos, listen to music and play games.

They're alright, but for the same price you can pick up the audio technica ATH-M50s, which are stellar, Grado SR80i, which are great, but less isolation being open back or Fostek t50RP

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1759 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:41:35 »
need IEM under 100 kthx

looking at Shure SE215, any other suggestions? I know this is the headphone thread but im a rebel and post where i want.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:44:04 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1760 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:42:59 »
need EIM under 100 kthx

looking at Shure SE215, any other suggestions? I know this is the headphone thread but im a rebel and post where i want.

Get them.  They're good, esp for that price

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #1761 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:51:06 »
Before I refer to a messy HiFi thread, I'm wondering if anyone here knows how do a cable mod on the ATH-M50. The thread on HiFi is a bit unorganize and unclear.

A link would be much appreciated. 

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1762 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:53:46 »
Before I refer to a messy HiFi thread, I'm wondering if anyone here knows how do a cable mod on the ATH-M50. The thread on HiFi is a bit unorganize and unclear.

Show Image

Have a video -

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #1763 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:59:12 »

Show Image

Have a video -

Thank you. It looks like there are many tutorials on youtube now.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1764 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:59:39 »
I've spent way too long trying to find a new pair of headphones just for lols, but I think I'm going to pick up a pair of ath-a900x and probably a pair of mad dog t50rp (thanks to binge's audtion) and see where things fall.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1765 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 11:01:38 »
need IEM under 100 kthx

Klipsch X10 at slightly above, otherwise Hifiman he-400.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #1766 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 11:19:25 »
ATH M50 with an E5 amp
nothing too crazy, but a great sound stage and I like it :)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1767 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:51:34 »
I've spent way too long trying to find a new pair of headphones just for lols, but I think I'm going to pick up a pair of ath-a900x and probably a pair of mad dog t50rp (thanks to binge's audtion) and see where things fall.

No problem man.  Mr. Speakers has been more than open to communication so let him know if something is "amiss" with his tuning.  The output of those orthodynamic drivers are nothing to scoff at with his doctoring of the dampening materials and custom ear-cushions.  Serious bang for decent buck.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1768 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:28:56 »
My wallet really hates me for this, but...

Gotta say, this stock-condition SR-Lambda is quite the improvement over the "beater" Lambda with rebuilt drivers I've had for the last two years.

I don't notice a dramatic improvement using the SRM-T1 in place of that receiver and the SRD-7/SB, but I suppose it's to be expected. The biggest changes in sound quality tend to happen with the headphones themselves, not the amps.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1769 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 02:03:48 »

Show Image

Gotta say, this stock-condition SR-Lambda is quite the improvement over the "beater" Lambda with rebuilt drivers I've had for the last two years.

I don't notice a dramatic improvement using the SRM-T1 in place of that receiver and the SRD-7/SB, but I suppose it's to be expected. The biggest changes in sound quality tend to happen with the headphones themselves, not the amps.

Ohh that's a nice electrostatic Stax setup there.

Offline tobr1an

« Reply #1770 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 20:47:59 »
What do you guys think of the HE400 on massdrop?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1771 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 20:52:33 »
If you can't afford the (in my view) better deal on the he-500, get them.

I'm in for the he-500 because of the $120 off.  I'll probably sell my he-400 to help pay for them later

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1772 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 00:25:42 »

Show Image

My friend picked up a pair of those plus amp at a garage sale for $6.  I hate him.   :))
Though now I have Sennheiser HD600s which are slightly better overall.  I still payed way more than $6 for them though.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1773 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 00:29:20 »
I auditioned the HE-400 before and even though I loved the sound but I couldn't keep them because of their weight. But I wear my headphones atleast 4 hours at a time thats why I need lighter phones.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1774 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:12:13 »

Show Image

My friend picked up a pair of those plus amp at a garage sale for $6.  I hate him.   :))
Though now I have Sennheiser HD600s which are slightly better overall.  I still payed way more than $6 for them though.
An entire Stax system-with direct-drive amp-for $6? Lucky son of a...

As for the HD600s being better, I'm quite skeptical of that claim, but a lot of this stuff's down to personal preference...plus I've never heard an HD600. Or any other Sennheiser set, for that matter. (But I'd love to audition that modified Unipolar 2000 set that's got a Head-Fi thread, along with the famed Orpheus systems.)

All I know is that I didn't like the HE-400 or SR-202 all that much by comparison due to their inferior midrange reproduction. I don't like my vocals raspy and recessed.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1775 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:27:54 »
I got two of the four pair of headphones I wanted to audition today.

ATH-A900x - A nice sound with a good, warm, curve to them.  My big head takes to the slightly loose feeling fit alright as they don't shimmy around as much as it feels like they should.  Overall, a good isolation to them as well, but it feels like it's wanting more power than I have at this moment. (I have a Schiit Asgard 2 on the way to pair with the X3 I got on Massdrop earlier this month)

AKG K701 - No question that these are some of the most detailed speakers I've put over my ears.  I'd go so far as to say they're within the realm of my JH13pros, but they're being repaired so I can't do a direct A/B currently.  As far as signature goes, they're a little brighter than the ATH with a nice initial bass hit, but there's no resonance (which I like a lot).  They're comfortable as well, but maybe not the same kind of comfort I've had in headphones before.  They definitely want more power than I have available right now and they're the main reason I decided to get a headphone amp and specifically the one I chose, so that opinion may change in a month or so when I get the amp up and running.

I'll post more once I get my jh13s back from repair, my grado sr225i finished with the cup mods I'm doing and also when I have the HE400s and HE500s as well.

I plan to only keep 3 pair of the 6 I have or will have, so expect the ones I decide I can live without to pop up here for sale at a good price around October - November.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #1776 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:34:03 »
AKG K702: Absolutely awesome headphones! I'm only pushing sound out of a Creative Fatal1ty card. Not the best sound output but it works for now.

Sony MDR-V6: For only $75 I've been impressed with this set. They have good range while still keeping a solid base. A good starter headphone for anyone. My only gripe about this set is they get a little sweaty after an hour of use.

Next in line I am hoping to get a pair of Sennheiser HD650's. If I can find them for the right price.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1777 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:41:25 »
AKG K702: Absolutely awesome headphones! I'm only pushing sound out of a Creative Fatal1ty card. Not the best sound output but it works for now.

Sony MDR-V6: For only $75 I've been impressed with this set. They have good range while still keeping a solid base. A good starter headphone for anyone. My only gripe about this set is they get a little sweaty after an hour of use.

Next in line I am hoping to get a pair of Sennheiser HD650's. If I can find them for the right price.

The k701 and 702 are real similar.  I love the detail of mine, but yeah, it wants a lot of power, but I hear the Asgard 2 gives it all it needs.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #1778 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:47:48 »
HE-400 on massdrop? Where?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1779 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 00:01:58 »
HE-400 on massdrop? Where?

You missed out, they sold out in less than an hour last night.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #1780 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 00:24:15 »
How was the pricing?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1781 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 01:21:30 »
Good, the he400 were $330 and the he500 were $580 (the better deal IMO)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1782 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 03:18:36 »

Show Image

As for the HD600s being better, I'm quite skeptical of that claim, but a lot of this stuff's down to personal preference...plus I've never heard an HD600. Or any other Sennheiser set, for that matter. (But I'd love to audition that modified Unipolar 2000 set that's got a Head-Fi thread, along with the famed Orpheus systems.)

All I know is that I didn't like the HE-400 or SR-202 all that much by comparison due to their inferior midrange reproduction. I don't like my vocals raspy and recessed.

Yep.  The Sennheiser HD600 is better than any other full sized headphones around the same price.  The SR-Lambda has better transparency and speed, but has very weak bass presence compared to the HD600.  I went on a quest a few years ago to find the best affordable headphone and spent $1k + on headphones A-Bing them along with a sound engineer, and I'm quite sure of what I heard.  We both concluded that while the HD600 isn't the best in class for anything in particular, they're excellent in that they don't have any problems that the other headphones had, such as Beyerdynamics having a spike in the frequency response in the 8-8.5 kHz range, which is responsible for overemphasizing the 's' sound and producing too much sibilance.  I haven't tried any planarmagnetic headphones though, so I can't compare any of those.  I point everyone to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13 because I agree 100% with all the reviews of all the headphones I've listened to, including the order he ranked them in.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 03:20:38 by PointyFox »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1783 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 03:28:40 »
Yay, the parts to my o2+odac have arrived. Damn it looks fine. It was smaller than I thought though, which I suppose isn't a bad thing.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1784 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 04:43:01 »

Show Image

Yep.  The Sennheiser HD600 is better than any other full sized headphones around the same price.  The SR-Lambda has better transparency and speed, but has very weak bass presence compared to the HD600.  I went on a quest a few years ago to find the best affordable headphone and spent $1k + on headphones A-Bing them along with a sound engineer, and I'm quite sure of what I heard.  We both concluded that while the HD600 isn't the best in class for anything in particular, they're excellent in that they don't have any problems that the other headphones had, such as Beyerdynamics having a spike in the frequency response in the 8-8.5 kHz range, which is responsible for overemphasizing the 's' sound and producing too much sibilance.  I haven't tried any planarmagnetic headphones though, so I can't compare any of those.  I point everyone to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13 because I agree 100% with all the reviews of all the headphones I've listened to, including the order he ranked them in.
Tbh I prefer the Fidelio X1 over the HD600

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1785 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 04:43:28 »
Yay, the parts to my o2+odac have arrived. Damn it looks fine. It was smaller than I thought though, which I suppose isn't a bad thing.
I have the combo and I like it a lot.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #1786 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:04:45 »
 I kind of have a headphone fetish.

I currently own a pair of Shure e2, e3, e5 and se215K's (for the gym)

Those are the in ears. For studio work I own a pair of AKG K551 and K702's. For office work I use a pair of Urbanears Zinken.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #1787 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:17:41 »
*pops knuckes*

It's time for me to put you guys to shame.

I'm using my motherboard's onboard audio, with a pair of audio-technica ATH-M20s. The plastic inside the headband has snapped and the right side started falling out, so now they're duct taped.

#LIKEABOSS
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Feign

« Reply #1788 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:26:34 »
I kind of have a headphone fetish.

I currently own a pair of Shure e2, e3, e5 and se215K's (for the gym)

Those are the in ears. For studio work I own a pair of AKG K551 and K702's. For office work I use a pair of Urbanears Zinken.

I have AKG k701s which i believe are essentially identical to the k702s. I have been looking at getting the k550s. Do you think it would be worth it? How do they compare? It'd be nice to have the same sound quality with the benefits of closed  system and better build quality. Any comfort issues?

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #1789 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:39:36 »
*pops knuckes*

It's time for me to put you guys to shame.

I'm using my motherboard's onboard audio, with a pair of audio-technica ATH-M20s. The plastic inside the headband has snapped and the right side started falling out, so now they're duct taped.

#LIKEABOSS

Riggin at it's best. Saves money for more keyboards or keyboard accessories!!!

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1790 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:35:15 »
I have the combo and I like it a lot.

Finished it just now. I am comparing to my old Essence STX atm, which I intend to sell shortly.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1791 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:37:56 »
what's great about the O2 is that it's not picky like many high end amps, and can make almost any set of cans sound better.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1792 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:38:53 »

MDR-V6 - First mod to make on this headset is to use a velour replacement pads.  Super easy, super comfy.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1793 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:42:23 »
what's great about the O2 is that it's not picky like many high end amps, and can make almost any set of cans sound better.
Well it's a clean source of power atleast, not all headphones benefit that much from power.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #1794 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:45:43 »

MDR-V6 - First mod to make on this headset is to use a velour replacement pads.  Super easy, super comfy.

Good to know....I'll have to google that.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1795 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:51:39 »
Got my cheap HE400s in the mail today and I've been listening to them for the entirety of the time I've opened the box (~3 hours).  I don't have any amplified power for them, but even with my SGS4, the clarity, impact and overall signature are fantastic.  Right now, they're my favorite headphone (again, that will probably change when I get my jh13s back to do an A/B).  Whenever I can make a decision on an amp (leaning Asgard 2), I plan to redemo everything to see how amplification changes my opinions. 

I've heard that the k701 responds well to power and gets a little more umph to the low end to go along with the great detail, so I'm excited to keep on with this.  I do think the first casulty in my headphone war is going to be the ath-a900x, though.  It's lacking a bit of detail in comparison to the others and while more impacting unamped in comparison to the akg and louder unamped than the he400s, the sound is a lot brighter and harsh than I remember after listening to them in direct comparison with the he400s.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1796 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:55:49 »
I order my first pair of better quality headphones on massdrop (soundmagic HP100). Can't wait to try something worth more than 20$.

Then I will have the hard choice to decide if I should ask an amp and or dac for Xmas  :rolleyes:

I have been looking at the O2 and it seems quite nice for the price, but I am confused on how much adding the ODAC to it would change that much. Anyone know how much of a difference the o2 + odac would make versus a simple o2?

Anyway, quite excited!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1797 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:57:33 »
I have been looking at the O2 and it seems quite nice for the price, but I am confused on how much adding the ODAC to it would change that much. Anyone know how much of a difference the o2 + odac would make versus a simple o2?

How big of difference it would make depends on what DAC you would otherwise be using if you didn't use the Objective DAC.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1798 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:58:18 »
I order my first pair of better quality headphones on massdrop (soundmagic HP100). Can't wait to try something worth more than 20$.

Then I will have the hard choice to decide if I should ask an amp and or dac for Xmas  :rolleyes:

Anyway, quite excited!
Depends on your source, might be huge upgrade or very small.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1799 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:59:29 »
As another note, if you wanted something that looked better as a stack (assuming you didn't want to DIY) and is a little cheaper overall, look at the magni/modi amp/dac stack from Schiit.  If I didn't have the x3 and IEMs, I'd have already got that instead of waffling about the extra price for the asgard 2 (it has a basic gain control).