Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316139 times)

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #1850 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:05:26 »
Well I'm going to try out these 900x but full size and earphones is fine.
What I would really recommend is finding any of the old denon line. Ah-d2000,ah-d5000 and ah-d7000. I really regret selling off my d7000 as they were amazing especially when you could get them for around 500-600 dollars.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1851 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 17:13:19 »
Thank you everyone for the responses!

If isolation isn't an issue I'd recommend grado sr60s, they may not look pretty but damn they're fine

Ah, I think I will need require a certain amount of isolation but it's nothing too crucial. However, what is important though is that I don't have too much noise leaking. I'll definitely do some more research into these. Thank you!

I would say get the M-50 over any SoL product, though I may be a little biased but the SoLs I heard were not that good imo.

Yeah, this was the answer I was expecting to get. I can fully understand why anyone would recommend the M50's. I'm leaning heavily towards these but not too sure just yet. The reviews on the Sol's seem to be divided about 80/20 (70 being good to excellent) so I'm still tempted :P The biggest plus for these over the M50 is the cheaper price.

How important is isolation?

If it's very important...hmmm, I know the Philips CitiScape Uptown's a safe bet for a very isolating headphone with decent sound quality, if you don't mind a soundstage with no depth and a volume slider notorious for imbalance. They should be around $65 or less, well under your budget. If you can't find 'em that cheap, I can help with that...

If isolation isn't important, then I'll just say Sony MDR-MA900 and be done with it. Treble's a bit diluted, but you can EQ it back into line; that's about the only flaw I can really think of for the price point. They're selling on eBay for about $155 shipped, so they'd run into the very limits of your budget.

Isolation is only important to a certain point. Sound leak would be the biggest factor, as I would want minimal amount of sound leaking.

Thank you for the 2 recommendations! I will be sure to do more research on these 2 tonight!

Grados have small sound stage.

Thank you for the tip! If I do end up disregarding sound stage, I'll probably just go with the M50's.

Well, how about a pair of slightly used (and sadly boxless), ATH-A900x for $120 shipped?

I will be sure to do some research on these tonight! From the pictures though, they seem rather large so I'm not too sure but that's a pretty good price you're offering. Also, are these the open or closed ones? If I become interested, I'll be sure to let you know! Thank you.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1852 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 17:27:47 »
I'd go with DT770s, but they're probably relatively more expensive in the US (I mean, M50s overpriced in Europe).

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1853 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 19:15:58 »

If isolation isn't an issue I'd recommend grado sr60s, they may not look pretty but damn they're fine

Ah, I think I will need require a certain amount of isolation but it's nothing too crucial. However, what is important though is that I don't have too much noise leaking. I'll definitely do some more research into these. Thank you!

I would say get the M-50 over any SoL product, though I may be a little biased but the SoLs I heard were not that good imo.

Yeah, this was the answer I was expecting to get. I can fully understand why anyone would recommend the M50's. I'm leaning heavily towards these but not too sure just yet. The reviews on the Sol's seem to be divided about 80/20 (70 being good to excellent) so I'm still tempted :P The biggest plus for these over the M50 is the cheaper price.

If it's very important...hmmm, I know the Philips CitiScape Uptown's a safe bet for a very isolating headphone with decent sound quality, if you don't mind a soundstage with no depth and a volume slider notorious for imbalance. They should be around $65 or less, well under your budget. If you can't find 'em that cheap, I can help with that...

If isolation isn't important, then I'll just say Sony MDR-MA900 and be done with it. Treble's a bit diluted, but you can EQ it back into line; that's about the only flaw I can really think of for the price point. They're selling on eBay for about $155 shipped, so they'd run into the very limits of your budget.

Isolation is only important to a certain point. Sound leak would be the biggest factor, as I would want minimal amount of sound leaking.

Thank you for the 2 recommendations! I will be sure to do more research on these 2 tonight!

Thank you for the tip! If I do end up disregarding sound stage, I'll probably just go with the M50's.

Well, how about a pair of slightly used (and sadly boxless), ATH-A900x for $120 shipped?

I will be sure to do some research on these tonight! From the pictures though, they seem rather large so I'm not too sure but that's a pretty good price you're offering. Also, are these the open or closed ones? If I become interested, I'll be sure to let you know! Thank you.

I sold them to demik, sorry xD

Also, they're the closed back.  a900 = closed ad900 = open

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1854 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 19:50:45 »

I tend to consider isolation and sound leakage as going hand-in-hand.

The less isolation, the more it leaks. The more isolation, the less it leaks. Rarely does anything tend to defy that rule of thumb.

I can safely tell you that if someone's wearing an Uptown and you can hear what they're playing, then they're probably blasting their eardrums with very unsafe volumes. Sound leakage is definitely not a problem there.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1855 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 20:33:39 »

fight me for them vesper! MANO A MANO!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1856 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 21:40:20 »

fight me for them vesper! MANO A MANO!

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #1857 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 06:35:55 »
What are good headphones for rap/electro/dnb basically stuff that is bass heavy?

Easy to mod as I'd like them to be modded with a detachable cable at some point. Not crazy expensive either. I currently own a pair of m50s and while they are awesome I can't use them for long as they are a bit tight and can get sweaty.

Urbanears Zinken is perfect for what you're looking for. No need for the cable mod too as it comes with an awesome detachable cable.

http://www.amazon.com/URBANEARS-Zinken-Professional-DJ-Headphones/dp/B007U28TX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378294540&sr=8-1&keywords=urbanears+zinken
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1858 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 17:21:02 »
Anyone going for the stax massdrop?  I shouldn't be thinking about it, I don't think I have the power to drive them, buuut...

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1859 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 17:35:09 »
Anyone going for the stax massdrop?  I shouldn't be thinking about it, I don't think I have the power to drive them, buuut...

Against my better judgement I want to. I really want to.

I'd have to sell my DT770s, HD600s, Aune T1, O2 etc...

you should get 'em and let me try ;)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1860 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 17:56:11 »

Against my better judgement I want to. I really want to.

I'd have to sell my DT770s, HD600s, Aune T1, O2 etc...

you should get 'em and let me try ;)

I'd have to get rid of all my stuff, too.  And I like my he400s

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1861 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 19:14:21 »
I'd like to upgrade from my VModa Crossfade LPs. Looking for some over the ear headphones that are mainly rock oriented, and I'd like to try open back if possible. I have heard a lot of good things about Grado, but I'm not really a fan of on the ear headphones. Planning on getting an O2 amp along with whatever headphones I choose. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic 880s, but I'm not sure how those will sound with rock.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1862 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:18:45 »
I'd like to upgrade from my VModa Crossfade LPs. Looking for some over the ear headphones that are mainly rock oriented, and I'd like to try open back if possible. I have heard a lot of good things about Grado, but I'm not really a fan of on the ear headphones. Planning on getting an O2 amp along with whatever headphones I choose. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic 880s, but I'm not sure how those will sound with rock.

The HD598s would probably do rather well for what you're looking at.  Grados are good for rock, but as you say, on-ear not quite as good as over-ear.  Depending on your head, I'd say check out the ath-a900x or ad900x (latter are open back) as well.  Are you building O2 or buying?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1863 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:39:08 »
<3 my 900x

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1864 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:45:34 »

The HD598s would probably do rather well for what you're looking at.  Grados are good for rock, but as you say, on-ear not quite as good as over-ear.  Depending on your head, I'd say check out the ath-a900x or ad900x (latter are open back) as well.  Are you building O2 or buying?

Thanks, I will check those out.

Haven't decided if I'm going to build or buy the O2 yet. Seems like the only issue if I were to build it would be finding a case.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1865 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 00:09:42 »

Haven't decided if I'm going to build or buy the O2 yet. Seems like the only issue if I were to build it would be finding a case.

It's fairly easy to find cases, I know that jd labs sells their cases empty, for example.  If you're getting something built, I much prefer the look of the magni from schiit (why I got one, in fact).  The sound is very similar between the two and the matching DAC actually matches, too.  (If you get one later that is).

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1866 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 04:08:46 »
It's not a matter of power with that Massdrop group buy since it's a system (headphone + amp), just a matter of money. Gotta say, I never thought I'd ever see Stax of all things on Massdrop.

For those who can't afford that group buy...I can work out something, if you don't mind getting vintage stuff instead of the current models.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1867 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 04:23:24 »
What exactly is in the Stax massdrop buy?

Offline xandr

« Reply #1868 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 04:45:28 »
I've collected quite a few headphones over the last few years:

Fullsize:
- Sony MDR-F1
- Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm
- Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE6000
- Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE9000

In-Ear:
- Logitech/Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro
- Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE700

I use the UE9000 at home, connected to an Apogee Duet 2. The UE6000 are used in the office, connected directly to the line out of that Dell pile of... electronics. When travelling I use the UE700 either connected directly to my iPhone 4 or with a Fiio E11.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 September 2013, 04:47:16 by xandr »
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1869 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 06:43:21 »

You can always get other cushions like the L-cushions which make then over the ear; at least for me. Check out this thread for more info.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #1870 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 08:50:37 »

STAX SR-307 plus the amp for $1000, the price is pretty good if you don't mind ugly headphones, I heard they sound phenomenal.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1871 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 09:26:15 »

STAX SR-307 plus the amp for $1000, the price is pretty good if you don't mind ugly headphones, I heard they sound phenomenal.
I was hoping for like the 007 or 009 lol, maybe I overestimated that marketsize.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1872 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 10:00:40 »
Hi all, I ordered the soundmagic HP100 from massdrop, and I now consider getting an amp/dac combo to go with them. I am not an audiophile, but I would like to get a good sound at a reasonable price, and it's my birthday in not so long  ;D

Having seen good reviews, I am currently looking forward to the schiit modi/magni combo. Is there a better choice out there for a similar price? Do you think it would deliver a good sound and work well with the HP100? I have seen HP100 reviews saying that these headphones matches better with amps having a little warm sound. Since I don't know what it sounds like (I have an idea of what it means, but my cheapo headphones probably never let me hear this!) well I am asking for your advice!

I would be using this combo only with a computer, no mobility required.

Also, will I need to buy extra cables to plug all together or will all the cables come with dac/amp/headphones already?

Thx for the help!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1873 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 17:08:37 »

It's fairly easy to find cases, I know that jd labs sells their cases empty, for example.  If you're getting something built, I much prefer the look of the magni from schiit (why I got one, in fact).  The sound is very similar between the two and the matching DAC actually matches, too.  (If you get one later that is).

Whoops, didn't notice that JD labs has the case for sale.

I think I'll go with the Magni. I don't need battery power so I may as well save myself the money and/or hassle of building the amp and get the Magni instead.

You can always get other cushions like the L-cushions which make then over the ear; at least for me. Check out this thread for more info.

I like the look of that, will consider doing this. I really do want to try out a pair of Grados.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1874 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 14:36:30 »

I was hoping for like the 007 or 009 lol, maybe I overestimated that marketsize.
Given how much those Omega-series sets cost, I don't think there would be enough people on Massdrop willing to spend $2,000-4,000 on a set of headphones, let alone a set of headphones that requires specialized amplification to work with anything, and in the SR-007's case, requires a KGSSHV, BHSE or SRM-T2 to sound as it was intended because the current production Stax amps can't drive it well enough. I wouldn't bank on the group buy shaving much more than $500 off for either set.

I'm surprised that people were already committing to buy the SR-307 + SRM-323S system on there, to be honest.

P.S.: Don't underestimate Lambda-series Stax. Just because they're more "entry-level" by overall Stax standards doesn't mean they won't blow past most headphones in their price range, even including the needed amp in said price range.

Offline neevers1

« Reply #1875 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 17:05:46 »
I really want the stax headphones, but it's hard to justify having never heard them, and no dealer anywhere near me that I know of to hear them... We'll see what happens.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #1876 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 17:46:44 »

If there were 009s for a thousand on there I wouldn't have even thought about it before I ordered.

I'm still tempted by what's on there, but I think I can resist it.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #1877 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 18:05:11 »
The people that would even consider a stax omega are probably not those who would look on massdrop. That said $1k for a brand new SR-307 and SRM323S is a pretty good price. If I didn't already have a KGSSHV and an 009 coming from pricejapan in a few months I'd hop on that deal.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #1878 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 08:20:49 »
ok so i've been looking into a decent headphone/amp setup but i'm getting a little lost.  I'm not really into headphones but i'm kinda forced into it at this point (noise  :()

for the headphones/amp i have a about a $400 dollar budget.

what i would like to eventually do is have a decent setup that will allow me to use my speakers and when its time to get quiet, just plug my headphones in without having to change the source on my computer.

is this a decent setup?
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms
Audioengine D1 24-bit digital-to-audio converter

for the future:
Audioengine N22 Amp
Audioengine P4 passive speakers
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline concept73

« Reply #1879 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 09:05:41 »
BOSE IE2, insane headphones!
Beats by dre solo
Corsair 1500 gaming headset
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #1880 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 09:50:40 »
Beats?

NO.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline concept73

« Reply #1881 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 10:09:51 »
Beats?

NO.

I said i have them, not that i use them ;)
Xmas present still in the box lol, love my bose too much!
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #1882 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:03:40 »
Sell them.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1883 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:32:38 »
My bose lasted a week and they stopped working waste of 100 doll hairs

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1884 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:38:35 »
So did mine.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #1885 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:38:54 »
Bose have nowhere near the quality that they once had. It's a brand I would never even consider buying anything of.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1886 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 13:26:06 »
ok so i've been looking into a decent headphone/amp setup but i'm getting a little lost.  I'm not really into headphones but i'm kinda forced into it at this point (noise  :()

what i would like to eventually do is have a decent setup that will allow me to use my speakers and when its time to get quiet, just plug my headphones in without having to change the source on my computer.

is this a decent setup?

for the future:
Audioengine N22 Amp

Are you looking for headphones with a heavy bass response?  If so, those are solid cans. A couple options I'd recommend trying to demo if you can are the ath-a900x and akg550s (the latter should be at best buy even).

If you're set on the speakers, I'd say look at the TP4 as well - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-312&FTR=topping%20tp30 as it has DAC built in and seems to have a better signature than the N22.

If you trust his reviews - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20058833-47.html

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #1887 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 13:34:05 »

is this a decent setup?

for the future:
Audioengine N22 Amp

Are you looking for headphones with a heavy bass response?  If so, those are solid cans. A couple options I'd recommend trying to demo if you can are the ath-a900x and akg550s (the latter should be at best buy even).

If you're set on the speakers, I'd say look at the TP4 as well - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-312&FTR=topping%20tp30 as it has DAC built in and seems to have a better signature than the N22.

If you trust his reviews - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20058833-47.html

cool thanks for the suggestions.  i have some work to do.  :thumb:
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Emospence

« Reply #1888 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 03:18:14 »
UM Miracle
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1889 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 04:51:04 »
As for Bose, the IE2 and OE are terribad, but the Triport AE2 is actually a very good closed back headphone for the price.  Great bass extension and positioning.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1890 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 05:04:47 »
Got the Hifiman RE-400 back today!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1891 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:11:35 »
nothing fancy like you guys but im just getting started

a900x
ad700
m50

need to mod the 900x so it can have a removable cable and the ad700s to a shorter cable since the cable is ridiculously long for what i need it.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #1892 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:41:57 »

Show Image

a900x
ad700
m50

need to mod the 900x so it can have a removable cable and the ad700s to a shorter cable since the cable is ridiculously long for what i need it.

Nice set....those are pretty good looking. I honestly thought I was the only one out there rocking the Best Buy Rocketfish mousepad.

Now I know I'm not alone.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1893 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:43:45 »
it's basically the same thing as the razer version. aside from the pads peeling off i haven't had any problems with it.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1894 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:44:43 »

Show Image

a900x
ad700
m50

AD700 and M50,, both are amazing. I was planning on getting those but settled for the Koss TBSE1s. In other news, RIP TBSE1s :C You have served me well.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1895 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:47:15 »
ad700s are ridiculously comfortable. sadly, the m50s are not. after 2 hours i start to get a headache.

so the a900x have been a life saver.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1896 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:56:24 »
I decided against the AD700 as I couldn't find it at a decent price in Canada, and I figured that open cans would be really hard to take outside. Don't want people to hear me blasting KPop.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1897 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:59:01 »
i use them for gaming/movies mostly. i tend to buy cheaper earphones because for some reason i go through them really really fast. but i really want a pair of SE215s. Tj said they're great for the price.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1898 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:02:48 »
Yeah, they are really well known for their gaming use. Probably going to get my TBSE1s replaced. Koss and their godly warranty.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1899 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:06:30 »
what happened?

and yeah, i was looking for a headset and everybody told me to ignore all that gaming crap and get these. was lucky to find them new under 100 so i went for it.