Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316217 times)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #1900 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:37:56 »
I just pulled the trigger on this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ETB8ZTY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ANWBAWAHYG3PL

$149 for a combo of a red Audio Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E6 Headphone Amplifier. I know the amp is probably crap but I just had to do it. My first real decent pair of headphones!

Did I do okay? Don't hate me for getting red :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1901 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:39:20 »
never seen those in red
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1902 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:46:48 »
never seen those in red

I was surprised they had them in this color, myself. I came across it about 2 months ago when I was researching on this headphone. Seems they are somewhat limited edition. I think they look great!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1903 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:58:09 »
what happened?

and yeah, i was looking for a headset and everybody told me to ignore all that gaming crap and get these. was lucky to find them new under 100 so i went for it.

I stressed the plastic when I was taking them off and the a piece of plastic on the part holding the cans to the headband broke off. I'm doing a ghetto fix of some crazy glue until I have free time to go to the PO and send them to Koss.

I just pulled the trigger on this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ETB8ZTY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ANWBAWAHYG3PL

$149 for a combo of a red Audio Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E6 Headphone Amplifier. I know the amp is probably crap but I just had to do it. My first real decent pair of headphones!

Those are really sick. Great deal too, as the E6 is a pretty good portable amp. IIRC they also had a silver version of the M50s
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1904 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:09:41 »

Those are really sick. Great deal too, as the E6 is a pretty good portable amp. IIRC they also had a silver version of the M50s

Yeah, I saw those silver ones but they were a lot more expensive because they were a Anniversary Edition, which are even rarer :( I'm glad to hear that the E6 isn't too bad for a portable amp. So excited for this new listening experience :D

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1905 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:19:24 »

Yeah, I saw those silver ones but they were a lot more expensive because they were a Anniversary Edition, which are even rarer :( I'm glad to hear that the E6 isn't too bad for a portable amp. So excited for this new listening experience :D

Yep, they were much easier to get a year or two ago. If you ever want to upgrade, anything from Fiio would be a good buy. I highly recommend the E11.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1906 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:24:11 »

Yep, they were much easier to get a year or two ago. If you ever want to upgrade, anything from Fiio would be a good buy. I highly recommend the E11.

I've actually been looking at the E11 for the past 3 days. Is it a much larger upgrade from the E6??? If so, I may consider selling the E6, spending a little more, and upgrading.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1907 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:26:07 »

I've actually been looking at the E11 for the past 3 days. Is it a much larger upgrade from the E6??? If so, I may consider selling the E6, spending a little more, and upgrading.

The E6 is a pretty good starting AMP, but you can really hear the difference with the E11. The sound is much clearer at higher volumes, and the quality in general is better. Here are some revies for the E11 http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e11
Keyboards Owned:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1908 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:53:41 »
The E6 is a pretty good starting AMP, but you can really hear the difference with the E11. The sound is much clearer at higher volumes, and the quality in general is better. Here are some revies for the E11 http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e11

Time for some reading and research! Thanks!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1909 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:55:14 »

Head-fi is your one stop shop for all things audiophile! Audiophiles get pretty intense, they do anything and everything to make their listening experience better. You better start looking for a Sanza clip!
Keyboards Owned:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1910 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 02:05:49 »

Head-fi is your one stop shop for all things audiophile! Audiophiles get pretty intense, they do anything and everything to make their listening experience better. You better start looking for a Sanza clip!

Why? Is that the MP3 of choice for audiophiles on Head-fi??? I was just going to use my smart phone :))

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1911 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:46:37 »

Why? Is that the MP3 of choice for audiophiles on Head-fi??? I was just going to use my smart phone :))

It's the best bang for the buck player. Unfortunately, I lost mine because the clip failed when I was trying the catch the bus. I really loved it... rockboxable, with microSDHC slot and okay DAC... and listening to music didn't suck phone's battery.

Of course, there are better players, but I just can't justify carrying an $100+ one around. If I lose it again, you know...

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1912 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 10:04:26 »

It's the best bang for the buck player. Unfortunately, I lost mine because the clip failed when I was trying the catch the bus. I really loved it... rockboxable, with microSDHC slot and okay DAC... and listening to music didn't suck phone's battery.

Of course, there are better players, but I just can't justify carrying an $100+ one around. If I lose it again, you know...

Well it's not just the value that makes it the choice of audiophiles. It has a significantly better sound quality during music playback. It's a device dedicated to music, and will generally have better sound quality than a device originally meant to be used as a phone. The difference is not exactly ground breaking, but it is definitely noticeable. Here's some reviews of the Sansa Clip+ if you think you might be interested. http://www.head-fi.org/products/sandisk-sansa-clip-2-gb-mp3-player-black
Keyboards Owned:

Offline modulor

« Reply #1913 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 10:13:15 »
I agree that the Sansa Clip+ or ClipZip with Rockbox is the best bang for your buck.  The player is a success from an engineering standpoint and Rockbox gives you all the functionality you'd ever need.  Completely flat FR across the board, low output impedance, perfect for most IEMs - portable headphones may need an amp in the chain.  Sure there are more technically capable players out there, but the Clip+ is comparable and at $30-$40 an absolute steal for  the sound quality (and features via Rockbox) you get.  I use mine with my HiFiMan RE-400 and GR07 (and currently a loaner RE-600), pairs very well with those IMO.  I've tried several other popular and higher-end IEMs at meet-ups (most notably the Sony EX-1000) also yielding great results...basically you can't go wrong here.  Harder to drive IEMs will require an external amp because it only puts out about 7-15mW (which is enough power to drive most) and it's headphone out is better than most at doubling as a line out to an amp.  Battery life is about 15 hours on average, supports up to 64gb microSD-XC cards and it's very tiny.  Why waste your phones battery?  :cool:

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #1914 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 10:13:21 »
i use them for gaming/movies mostly. i tend to buy cheaper earphones because for some reason i go through them really really fast. but i really want a pair of SE215s. Tj said they're great for the price.

They're not as good as the older Shure models, but they are pretty damn awesome, regardless of the price. The old ones were a bit louder, but the new model has more balances highs and mids. Also, being able to remove the actual earpiece is a big bonus for me. Shure FTW.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1915 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:27:59 »

Well it's not just the value that makes it the choice of audiophiles. It has a significantly better sound quality during music playback. It's a device dedicated to music, and will generally have better sound quality than a device originally meant to be used as a phone. The difference is not exactly ground breaking, but it is definitely noticeable.

I don't care about so-called audiophiles.

First, there are many devices with better sound quality. Second, the difference is negligible on the bus or when running in most cases.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1916 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 13:12:53 »

Well it's not just the value that makes it the choice of audiophiles. It has a significantly better sound quality during music playback. It's a device dedicated to music, and will generally have better sound quality than a device originally meant to be used as a phone. The difference is not exactly ground breaking, but it is definitely noticeable. Here's some reviews of the Sansa Clip+ if you think you might be interested. http://www.head-fi.org/products/sandisk-sansa-clip-2-gb-mp3-player-black

I agree that the Sansa Clip+ or ClipZip with Rockbox is the best bang for your buck.  The player is a success from an engineering standpoint and Rockbox gives you all the functionality you'd ever need.  Completely flat FR across the board, low output impedance, perfect for most IEMs - portable headphones may need an amp in the chain.  Sure there are more technically capable players out there, but the Clip+ is comparable and at $30-$40 an absolute steal for  the sound quality (and features via Rockbox) you get.  I use mine with my HiFiMan RE-400 and GR07 (and currently a loaner RE-600), pairs very well with those IMO.  I've tried several other popular and higher-end IEMs at meet-ups (most notably the Sony EX-1000) also yielding great results...basically you can't go wrong here.  Harder to drive IEMs will require an external amp because it only puts out about 7-15mW (which is enough power to drive most) and it's headphone out is better than most at doubling as a line out to an amp.  Battery life is about 15 hours on average, supports up to 64gb microSD-XC cards and it's very tiny.  Why waste your phones battery?  :cool:

I don't care about so-called audiophiles.

First, there are many devices with better sound quality. Second, the difference is negligible on the bus or when running in most cases.

Thank you, guys! All this input really does help out a lot. I'm usually the type with a lot of questions before buying something, and all your replies have pretty much answered every question I probably would've had on audio quality and portability. Rockbox is new to me also, so I'll have to look into that. I think i may have to get one eventually. Once I get my headphones, it'll probably convince me to get one. I used to own one of these way back a couple years ago but haven't touched it in years because it always kept having issues: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expansion-Black/dp/B000ETTFRG/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&qid=1379095677&sr=8-59&keywords=sansa+mp3

I was also wondering, when you place a microSD card into these Clip+ or Clipzip, does it do the whole long loading process of loading the microSD card every time you turn it on???

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1917 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 13:48:06 »
No, I don't think so IIRC.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1918 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 13:59:11 »
No, I don't think so IIRC.

Awesome. Thanks. Going to have a lot of fun plugging my headphone into everything possible when I get it :D Try everything with the amp and without the amp.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1919 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:01:02 »
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X3-Mastering-Quality-Wolfson/dp/B00DGKVW9Y another really strong option to go with if you want an all in one set up.  It's got a better dac and opamp than the e17 plus does microsd up to 64gb verified and rumoured to support 128gb.  Interface isn't the most smooth, but if you're going to carry two devices, this is my choice.  It may pop up again on massdrop to save you 20-40 bucks, too.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1920 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:08:58 »
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X3-Mastering-Quality-Wolfson/dp/B00DGKVW9Y another really strong option to go with if you want an all in one set up.  It's got a better dac and opamp than the e17 plus does microsd up to 64gb verified and rumoured to support 128gb.  Interface isn't the most smooth, but if you're going to carry two devices, this is my choice.  It may pop up again on massdrop to save you 20-40 bucks, too.

Oh wow, already has an amp and dac built into it! Thank you for this option. Definitely going to have to do more research tonight on things. Oh man... I don't know if I prepared myself enough when I entered this new world of audio :P At least, I know for a fact that my wallet and bank account isn't ready :))

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1921 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:11:57 »

Oh wow, already has an amp and dac built into it! Thank you for this option. Definitely going to have to do more research tonight on things. Oh man... I don't know if I prepared myself enough when I entered this new world of audio :P At least, I know for a fact that my wallet and bank account isn't ready :))

I've tried with some success to keep myself out of the poor house with finding a lot of bang for your buck stuff.  Massdrop has helped tremendously with that as well, seeing as I've saved ~$300 so far than if I'd just gone full retail on what I'd got.

Right now, I'm using an x3 with my JH13pros and have a magni/modi for my sitdown listening with he400s while I wait for my 500s from massdrop.  I'm attempting to resist trying to match price with my jh13pros and a pair of fullsize cans currently.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1922 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 13:33:14 »
Hey all,

I decided to start a poll on massdrop for a microphone clip for headphone. I put the modmic as the first item. So if anyone is interested, well go put your suggestions and vote!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1923 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 20:11:09 »

so heaaaavy

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1924 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 20:13:56 »
Those look familiar.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1925 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 20:59:19 »
Already posted this in "what did you get in the mail" thread but deserved to be posted here too!

I got my Audio Technica ATH-M50's today! They look and sound sexy! I can definitely hear the difference for sure! I've probably been listening to these for about 5 hours straight now and mostly everything just sounds so much different compared to my previous mediocre - **** headphones! I already have nice speakers so many things I've heard before but there are definitely things I can hear in these headphones that I couldn't really hear on my Turtle Beach P11'w, which is what I use for the PC. They came with the FiiO E6's and definitely make a difference when I use it with my phone! They don't do anything on the PC but that's bc my Logitech Z2300's already have a decent amp in them.

Bad lighting in the room today :( They are less bright than in the pictures, and are more of a deeper red color in person.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1926 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 23:19:09 »
Time to get the glue and female headphone receptacle out

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1927 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 23:28:31 »
Time to get the glue and female headphone receptacle out

I'm definitely considering doing that cable mod but I think I might use them as is for a lil' bit first. I'll be sure to post in here if I need help! Don't have the first clue on how it's done.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1928 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 00:38:51 »
Already posted this in "what did you get in the mail" thread but deserved to be posted here too!

I got my Audio Technica ATH-M50's today! They look and sound sexy! I can definitely hear the difference for sure! I've probably been listening to these for about 5 hours straight now and mostly everything just sounds so much different compared to my previous mediocre - **** headphones! I already have nice speakers so many things I've heard before but there are definitely things I can hear in these headphones that I couldn't really hear on my Turtle Beach P11'w, which is what I use for the PC. They came with the FiiO E6's and definitely make a difference when I use it with my phone! They don't do anything on the PC but that's bc my Logitech Z2300's already have a decent amp in them.

Bad lighting in the room today :( They are less bright than in the pictures, and are more of a deeper red color in person.

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

I'm literally crying at how beautiful that thing is. Audio Technica gets so many props for making amazing headphones that look great too. Glad you're enjoying it, those things will last you a long time, until you find the urge to go for the big boys such as the Denons. Or, maybe you'll just use those forever, I'd be happy to drive those every day for the rest of my life. Sadly, I'm using reaally bad JVCs right now, until I get a replacement for my Koss phones, which is like a 6-8 week turnround... Bad music for a few months, woo!
Keyboards Owned:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1929 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:18:29 »

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

I'm literally crying at how beautiful that thing is. Audio Technica gets so many props for making amazing headphones that look great too. Glad you're enjoying it, those things will last you a long time, until you find the urge to go for the big boys such as the Denons. Or, maybe you'll just use those forever, I'd be happy to drive those every day for the rest of my life. Sadly, I'm using reaally bad JVCs right now, until I get a replacement for my Koss phones, which is like a 6-8 week turnround... Bad music for a few months, woo!

Hahaha~ Don't cry, just save a lil' money and buy a set! They're totally worth it, especially when bundled with the FiiO E6 for only $149 shipped. I probably won't ever upgrade, or at least plan not to :)) I don't see why I would because I absolutely love these. The only thing I'm worried about is me buying another set for gaming like the ATH-AD700... so I don't go splurging again... these past 2 weeks hurt my bank account a lot :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:21:02 by VesperSAINT »

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1930 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:20:33 »

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Hahaha~ Don't cry, just save a lil' money and buy a set! They're totally worth it, especially when bundled with the FiiO E6 for only $149 shipped. I probably won't ever upgrade, or at least plan not to :)) I don't see why I would because I absolutely love these. The only thing I'm worried about is me buying another set for gaming like the ATH-AD700... I need to create a priority list so I don't go splurging again... these past 2 weeks hurt my bank account a lot :P
Nah, I enjoy my TBSE1s, and it'd be hard to find that bundle in Canada, and usually Amazon.com isn't friendly when it comes to great deals and shipping outside CONUS
Keyboards Owned:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1931 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:22:32 »
Nah, I enjoy my TBSE1s, and it'd be hard to find that bundle in Canada, and usually Amazon.com isn't friendly when it comes to great deals and shipping outside CONUS

True. There's no point in spending another $150 when you already have something you're happy with... For me, these are my first pair of decent headphones, so I'm glad I started in the right place... saves me money...  unless I spend money on an expensive amplifier... I need to create a priority list and set my no.1 to PS4 so there's a nice gap of time in between now and when that is released... :'(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1932 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:23:35 »

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Hahaha~ Don't cry, just save a lil' money and buy a set! They're totally worth it, especially when bundled with the FiiO E6 for only $149 shipped. I probably won't ever upgrade, or at least plan not to :)) I don't see why I would because I absolutely love these. The only thing I'm worried about is me buying another set for gaming like the ATH-AD700... I need to create a priority list so I don't go splurging again... these past 2 weeks hurt my bank account a lot :P

You just gotta know the right member with a prime sub that doesn't mind proxying.

Or the right member that doesn't mind letting others borrow his gear he doesn't use much.  Like these sr225i that I might sell, but would definitely let people borrow.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1933 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:25:50 »

You just gotta know the right member with a prime sub that doesn't mind proxying.

Or the right member that doesn't mind letting others borrow his gear he doesn't use much.  Like these sr225i that I might sell, but would definitely let people borrow.

I was actually considering those a couple months back instead of these M50's but the open ear design makes it undesirable as it'll leak sound at my work place, which isn't appropriate. How different are these to the M50's? I've heard they are pretty much built for instrumental music.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1934 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:36:13 »

I was actually considering those a couple months back instead of these M50's but the open ear design makes it undesirable as it'll leak sound at my work place, which isn't appropriate. How different are these to the M50's? I've heard they are pretty much built for instrumental music.

My head is too big for m50s so I couldn't say, but they're definitely an instrument friendly headphone. Remarkably comfy, too.

So grado story quick before I go watch tv.  I was trying to do a detachable cable mod for them and got one of the voice coil contacts too hot and it detached from the transducer.  Well, grado tells me send them in and they'll charge me $40 since I'm second owner and no warranty.  I got them back yesterday and they had replaced both housings (warped them from heating them to separate them), both transducers and the cable (I'd sent it in without a cable.  The cost to do all of this? $0.

So yeah, if you like rock/jazz and similar, my recommendation forever is grado.  If their high end stuff was more complete, I'd have ordered a pair of PS line headphones already.  But they don't really compete well with the hd600/he500/lcd-2 that I own currently.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1935 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:46:17 »

My head is too big for m50s so I couldn't say, but they're definitely an instrument friendly headphone. Remarkably comfy, too.

So grado story quick before I go watch tv.  I was trying to do a detachable cable mod for them and got one of the voice coil contacts too hot and it detached from the transducer.  Well, grado tells me send them in and they'll charge me $40 since I'm second owner and no warranty.  I got them back yesterday and they had replaced both housings (warped them from heating them to separate them), both transducers and the cable (I'd sent it in without a cable.  The cost to do all of this? $0.

So yeah, if you like rock/jazz and similar, my recommendation forever is grado.  If their high end stuff was more complete, I'd have ordered a pair of PS line headphones already.  But they don't really compete well with the hd600/he500/lcd-2 that I own currently.

Holy cow, that's some awesome customer service!!! I definitely do listen to a lot of instrumental music like classical, jazz, and rock so Grados may be something I might look at in the future. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I won't become a audiophile wannabe... Don't think my bank account can handle it :))

If I ever want a nice pair of headphones for gaming, do you think the AD700's are worth purchasing with a separate microphone if I already own a Turtle Beach P11???

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1936 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:48:58 »

Open cans and closed cans aren't even comparable in my opinion. With closed you naturally get those closed off and confined sounds, what I think is a muddier bass, and you can feel somewhat feel the sound bouncing off the walls, giving a sort of resonance. They also don't normally require heavy amping as the closed design helps to concentrate the sound directly into your ears. Open cans on the other hand are a whole other entity. If I could compare them in an analogy it would be this. Imagine an orchestra, with all the bells and whistles, your strings, brass, etc. Now listening to an orchestra through closed headphones is enjoyable, you can hear the melody, and everything mixes quite well, but that in itself is a problem. It feels more like everything is bundled together, and creating just one sound, and not an assortment of sounds. Open headphones on the other hand have a broader sound stage, meaning you can differentiate those different sections, and in return, pick up on those more subtle instruments, and overall give you a more enjoyable experience. Then again, all of this is my own personal thoughts, and results may vary. But generally, you get a much larger sound stage, without the resonance that comes with closed headphones.

About the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. My main question would be, what type of games do you play? When I think AD700s, I immediately think of FPS. They are simply the FPS king. Footsteps are clear, and the open sound stage helps you pinpoint where exactly they are coming from.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1937 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:56:39 »

Open cans and closed cans aren't even comparable in my opinion. With closed you naturally get those closed off and confined sounds, what I think is a muddier bass, and you can feel somewhat feel the sound bouncing off the walls, giving a sort of resonance. They also don't normally require heavy amping as the closed design helps to concentrate the sound directly into your ears. Open cans on the other hand are a whole other entity. If I could compare them in an analogy it would be this. Imagine an orchestra, with all the bells and whistles, your strings, brass, etc. Now listening to an orchestra through closed headphones is enjoyable, you can hear the melody, and everything mixes quite well, but that in itself is a problem. It feels more like everything is bundled together, and creating just one sound, and not an assortment of sounds. Open headphones on the other hand have a broader sound stage, meaning you can differentiate those different sections, and in return, pick up on those more subtle instruments, and overall give you a more enjoyable experience. Then again, all of this is my own personal thoughts, and results may vary. But generally, you get a much larger sound stage, without the resonance that comes with closed headphones.

About the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. My main question would be, what type of games do you play? When I think AD700s, I immediately think of FPS. They are simply the FPS king. Footsteps are clear, and the open sound stage helps you pinpoint where exactly they are coming from.

You pretty much wrote everything I was too lazy to put when I wanted to explain why I was considering the AD700 :P I play 50/50 FPS and single player games where a decent amoutn of bass would be nice for atmosphere and feel. The P11's are somewhat open-ear so the soundstage ain't too shabby and I hear foodsteps pretty well in CSGO but obviously the sound quality isn't as sharp and clear as the AD700's. However, the bass has been decent enough that I am satisfied by it. What I'm wondering is how the bass is different between the two. The bass on the P11's aren't too bad actually, but that's me comparing it to nothing. Obviously the bass is weaker than the M50's but that would be a terrible comparison as the M50's a designed to have a decent amount of bass. So the real question is, does the AD700's have comparable bass compared to the P11's that it would be worth the $70-$90 upgrade for the improved sound quality :D

Thank you for your explanation :D

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1938 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 04:54:52 »
AD700s are very bass-light, unless you put some more closed pads on them—that turns them into a bass monster.

About grados... I've recently resold my SR60s with basically no loss just to get another pair. This one without any warranty, with twisted cable (common issue with grados), but otherwise in great shape. For €30, which is a steal around here. Things I want to do with them: one-sided detachable cable mod, add padding on the headband (I've ordered the $12 universal headband pad for now), replace pads by at least L-cushion (makes sound, especially treble clearer)... and possibly build an amp to boost bass a bit.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1939 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 13:57:32 »
AD700s are very bass-light, unless you put some more closed pads on them—that turns them into a bass monster.

About grados... I've recently resold my SR60s with basically no loss just to get another pair. This one without any warranty, with twisted cable (common issue with grados), but otherwise in great shape. For €30, which is a steal around here. Things I want to do with them: one-sided detachable cable mod, add padding on the headband (I've ordered the $12 universal headband pad for now), replace pads by at least L-cushion (makes sound, especially treble clearer)... and possibly build an amp to boost bass a bit.

All noble things to do with good headphones.  If you can't find the stuff you need in low quantities, give me a shout.  I've got canare 4 and 2 channel, the female headphone plugs and leather and felt to make headphone bands and I've no problem sending people some.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1940 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 14:11:22 »
Good guy tj

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1941 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 14:46:25 »
Ah, that's so nice of you. I'm on the other side of the Atlantic ocean though.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1942 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 14:50:09 »
Ah, that's so nice of you. I'm on the other side of the Atlantic ocean though.

If you're ok with slow shipping or paying for speed, I still don't mind.  Int'l shipping is a breeze online.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1943 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 16:49:29 »

All noble things to do with good headphones.  If you can't find the stuff you need in low quantities, give me a shout.  I've got canare 4 and 2 channel, the female headphone plugs and leather and felt to make headphone bands and I've no problem sending people some.

Are the female headphone plugs what I'd need to do a cable mod on my M50's?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1944 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 17:32:53 »

Are the female headphone plugs what I'd need to do a cable mod on my M50's?

To make your headphone cable detachable you will need 1 female and 1 male headphone, or trs (different name, same thing), set.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1945 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 18:59:22 »
Any fostex modders in here?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1946 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 19:12:18 »
ill miss you fiio e17, i loved you while i had you. but i need a better keyboard.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1947 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 01:36:10 »
They have returned, and they are glorious.  I used a bit of 2-part urethane to fill the cable/plug gap.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1948 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 02:14:52 »
They have returned, and they are glorious.  I used a bit of 2-part urethane to fill the cable/plug gap.
Show Image

I have no clue what I'm looking at right now but those colors are giving me a boner; I want it.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1949 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 02:51:01 »
To revisit an old discussion...

My wallet really hates me for this, but...

Show Image

Gotta say, this stock-condition SR-Lambda is quite the improvement over the "beater" Lambda with rebuilt drivers I've had for the last two years.

I don't notice a dramatic improvement using the SRM-T1 in place of that receiver and the SRD-7/SB, but I suppose it's to be expected. The biggest changes in sound quality tend to happen with the headphones themselves, not the amps.

My friend picked up a pair of those plus amp at a garage sale for $6.  I hate him.   :))
Though now I have Sennheiser HD600s which are slightly better overall.  I still payed way more than $6 for them though.
An entire Stax system-with direct-drive amp-for $6? Lucky son of a...

As for the HD600s being better, I'm quite skeptical of that claim, but a lot of this stuff's down to personal preference...plus I've never heard an HD600. Or any other Sennheiser set, for that matter. (But I'd love to audition that modified Unipolar 2000 set that's got a Head-Fi thread, along with the famed Orpheus systems.)

All I know is that I didn't like the HE-400 or SR-202 all that much by comparison due to their inferior midrange reproduction. I don't like my vocals raspy and recessed.

Yep.  The Sennheiser HD600 is better than any other full sized headphones around the same price.  The SR-Lambda has better transparency and speed, but has very weak bass presence compared to the HD600.  I went on a quest a few years ago to find the best affordable headphone and spent $1k + on headphones A-Bing them along with a sound engineer, and I'm quite sure of what I heard.  We both concluded that while the HD600 isn't the best in class for anything in particular, they're excellent in that they don't have any problems that the other headphones had, such as Beyerdynamics having a spike in the frequency response in the 8-8.5 kHz range, which is responsible for overemphasizing the 's' sound and producing too much sibilance.  I haven't tried any planarmagnetic headphones though, so I can't compare any of those.  I point everyone to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13 because I agree 100% with all the reviews of all the headphones I've listened to, including the order he ranked them in.
I mostly bring this up because of Mad Lust Envy's recent comments that the MA900 is very similar in overall sound signature to the HD650, albeit with a much more vast soundstage.

The HD650 is not an HD600, I know; it's even considered worse in many ways due to the sound signature changes. But if the HD600 still has the soundstage deficiency, I'd consider that a major disadvantage against the SR-Lambda, especially for gaming. Binaural mixes need some space to do their thing well.

The HD800, on the other hand...I'll have to try that set out at some point, but being a set that costs $1,000+ by itself and is expected to be used with dedicated amplification, that puts it in the "too damn expensive" region for my tastes. Yes, I say this even as a Stax owner; it's what keeps me on Lambda-series sets instead of stepping up to Omega-series ones. (And if need be, I can learn to live with just the MA900.)