Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316231 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2000 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 19:59:44 »
The predecessor to the uerm... nice!

They are awesome. Worth the cost. If these break someday I'll definitely spring for the UE 18's

They're not as good as the UERMs or jh13pro, to be honest (from what I've read).  They get real muddy and kinda bleh for the price.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #2001 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 20:00:53 »
The UE18's bass is way too prominent and overshadows the rest of the frequency range, kinda like the jh16.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #2002 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 18:10:05 »
I was thinking of getting a pair of AKG Q701s for my birthday. Right now I have Beyer DT770 250ohms and I'm looking for a nice pair of open cans to change it up a bit. Chain is UCA202-> O2 amp at the moment. Budget is pretty high, I'm just looking for the "sweet spot". Any recommendations other than the AKG Q701s?
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2003 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 18:14:29 »
Not the AKGs-- you could get some orthos, high end sennys, or and the list goes on... just no akg... nooo
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2004 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 18:15:17 »
but akg so pretty ; ;

hd600s will be my next purchase i think

missed out on that pair that went for 200 on headfi :(
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2005 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 18:19:10 »
I was thinking of getting a pair of AKG Q701s for my birthday. Right now I have Beyer DT770 250ohms and I'm looking for a nice pair of open cans to change it up a bit. Chain is UCA202-> O2 amp at the moment. Budget is pretty high, I'm just looking for the "sweet spot". Any recommendations other than the AKG Q701s?

The Q701s are good, but they've got a relatively weak bass reproduction.

List of alternatives w/links for used:
ATH-AD900X http://www.head-fi.org/t/686788/fs-audio-technica-ath-ad900x-ath-ws99-ath-cks1000-ath-m50-all-near-mint-condition-price-drop
HD600
HE400 (and/or 500) http://www.head-fi.org/t/685902/denon-ah-d7000-sold-hifiman-he-400
DT-990 pro 250ohm (since you have the 770s already) http://www.head-fi.org/t/686937/beyer-dt990-250-senn-hd598
Any grado

I feel like that list could be longer, but I can't think of anything else I'd spend money on now that's open unless you start talking 4 digits.  There's been an influx of used hd600 going for some crazy low prices recently on head-fi, too.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #2006 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 18:47:17 »

ATH-AD900X http://www.head-fi.org/t/686788/fs-audio-technica-ath-ad900x-ath-ws99-ath-cks1000-ath-m50-all-near-mint-condition-price-drop
HD600
HE400 (and/or 500) http://www.head-fi.org/t/685902/denon-ah-d7000-sold-hifiman-he-400
DT-990 pro 250ohm (since you have the 770s already) http://www.head-fi.org/t/686937/beyer-dt990-250-senn-hd598
Any grado

I feel like that list could be longer, but I can't think of anything else I'd spend money on now that's open unless you start talking 4 digits.  There's been an influx of used hd600 going for some crazy low prices recently on head-fi, too.

Thanks for the list! Hopefully I'll be able to get a good deal used from head-fi.

but akg so pretty ; ;

$200? Daaaaamn that's cheap.  :eek:

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2007 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 18:50:29 »

HD600
Any grado

Thanks for the list! Hopefully I'll be able to get a good deal used from head-fi.

but akg so pretty ; ;

$200? Daaaaamn that's cheap.  :eek:

Got mine for $320 used, including some fancy cable.  I sold the cable for $160 and bought a regular one for $25, so mine were essentially $185 ;P

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #2008 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:59:15 »
So I ended up going with the HE-400s. Got them for $300, not bad! Seller also included velour pads so I'll be sure to test those out. I'll make sure to post pictures and my first impressions when I get them.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2009 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 16:01:09 »
So I ended up going with the HE-400s. Got them for $300, not bad! Seller also included velour pads so I'll be sure to test those out. I'll make sure to post pictures and my first impressions when I get them.

You'll enjoy them.  Especially at that smokin' deal.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2010 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:51:51 »

I use the ZAGG ZR-Six Earbuds, most $ Iv'e spent on Earbuds but worth it!  :thumb:  $59.99

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #2011 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 18:57:18 »
Show Image

I use the ZAGG ZR-Six Earbuds, most $ Iv'e spent on Earbuds but worth it!  :thumb:  $59.99

Those look nice! Definitely worth it to spend money on decent IEMs. I have a pair of Meelectronics A151s myself.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #2012 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 18:04:28 »
Got my HE-400s in the mail today! I like them so far. I'll be posting pictures and a first impression soon.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2013 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 18:08:25 »
Oh sh!t here it comes :|

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2014 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 18:44:25 »
These paired with a fiio e10

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2015 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 19:25:28 »
My ZAGG headphones aux end is having trouble staying in stereo so im getting a free lifetime warrantied replacement woo!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2016 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 22:40:37 »
So as to not clutter his FS thread -

Its been sitting in a box for over a year ever since I got it. My main keyboards are topres, and I just purchased a pair of sennheiser hd800s so I need some funding. PM me offers and I'll think about selling them.

Extra feedback @ head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/feedback/index/user_id/337814

Nice, I got a pair, too.  I like them, I just don't think I like them with the stock cable as much as my lcd-2.  That's in terms of sound alone as I like a little more low end bump.  They're so comfortable, though, I'm debating selling the lcd-2 anyways and getting mad dogs upgraded to alpha dogs.  I'm also looking into the mods available to get that low end up a bit and need to make a new cable as I think the SPC is part of my issue (they also feel kinda harsh sounding to my ear, but I'm treble sensitive, too).

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2017 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 22:47:27 »

Its been sitting in a box for over a year ever since I got it. My main keyboards are topres, and I just purchased a pair of sennheiser hd800s so I need some funding. PM me offers and I'll think about selling them.

Nice, I got a pair, too.  I like them, I just don't think I like them with the stock cable as much as my lcd-2.  That's in terms of sound alone as I like a little more low end bump.  They're so comfortable, though, I'm debating selling the lcd-2 anyways and getting mad dogs upgraded to alpha dogs.  I'm also looking into the mods available to get that low end up a bit and need to make a new cable as I think the SPC is part of my issue (they also feel kinda harsh sounding to my ear, but I'm treble sensitive, too).

Ahh, they already arrived? I have a modified Zu cable coming in for them later this week, along with my hd800s. I don't really believe in sound differences between cables, but I will see. Look into the anax 2.0 mod, it is available on changstar.com. You'll need to register an account there though. I will be making the mod for myself once the materials come in.

Btw, I'll probably be sending your lcd2s back to you either tomorrow or by Monday.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2018 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 22:54:14 »

Ahh, they already arrived? I have a modified Zu cable coming in for them later this week, along with my hd800s. I don't really believe in sound differences between cables, but I will see. Look into the anax 2.0 mod, it is available on changstar.com. You'll need to register an account there though. I will be making the mod for myself once the materials come in.

Btw, I'll probably be sending your lcd2s back to you either tomorrow or by Monday.

I've already got the pdf for the anax 2.0 cutouts.  I can tell a difference between copper/silver, but from there, it gets hazy with a change of perception bias.  They're so damn comfortable, though.  I look forward to doing direct comparisons between lcd-2 and them before making up my mind completely, though.  The lcd-2 were getting more and more uncomfortable before I sent them to you so we'll see.

Also, I'm pretending it's cool that you got a cable from someone else.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2019 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 15:08:40 »
The hd800s with the anax 2.0 warm rings are simply amazing on the NFB-10es2, and I haven't even gotten my zu cable yet. Right now I feel like the modded hd800s are like the UERM on steroids. Just better in sound in pretty much every way. The stock sound was too bright for me and the neutral rings helped a lot but I much prefer the warm rings.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2020 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 15:16:22 »
Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the stock Hd800 when I auditioned way back. Would love to try the Anax mod and his and Purrins upcoming(I believe) version 3 mod of the HD800.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2021 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 15:24:25 »
The hd800s with the anax 2.0 warm rings are simply amazing on the NFB-10es2, and I haven't even gotten my zu cable yet. Right now I feel like the modded hd800s are like the UERM on steroids. Just better in sound in pretty much every way. The stock sound was too bright for me and the neutral rings helped a lot but I much prefer the warm rings.

Good to hear.  These things are so comfy.  I just wish the cable hadn't been damaged in transit so I could listen to them without getting irritated every time I turn my head.

I'm fairly sure my lcd-2 are going up for sale now.  Alpha dog reviews are coming in with favorable comparisons to the lcd-2 and if they're as comfortable as mad dogs, I'm completely sold and hopefully done with this cycle of headphones stuff.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2022 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 15:34:20 »
I'd love to get the anax 3.0 once they're released hopefully by the end of this month. The CSDs are just sick. It sucks that your cable got damaged; HD800 connectors are expensive at $50 a pair from moon-audio.

I definitely much prefer the modded hd800s over the lcd2s. And of course, the hd800s are super comfy too and don't touch my ears. Value wise though... the HD800s are ridiculously expensive haha, the hd600s are a better value. Purrin says that the alpha dogs have a peaky treble that's similar to an unmodded hd800. I guess I will hear for myself this Saturday. I doubt I'll use any closed headphone over my UERMs though.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2023 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 15:39:29 »
I'd love to get the anax 3.0 once they're released hopefully by the end of this month. The CSDs are just sick. It sucks that your cable got damaged; HD800 connectors are expensive at $50 a pair from moon-audio.

I definitely much prefer the modded hd800s over the lcd2s. And of course, the hd800s are super comfy too and don't touch my ears. Value wise though... the HD800s are ridiculously expensive haha, the hd600s are a better value. Purrin says that the alpha dogs have a peaky treble that's similar to an unmodded hd800. I guess I will hear for myself this Saturday. I doubt I'll use any closed headphone over my UERMs though.

Yeah, I tried to salvage the OE connectors and it just wasn't happening so I broke down and bought a pair last night.  Fortunately, the guy I bought them from was cool and refunded me the purchase price of a pair of connectors.

I probably use my JH13pros more for iso than anything else, but I like having options and I like the planar sound a lot.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #2024 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 18:31:45 »
I'm fairly sure my lcd-2 are going up for sale now.  Alpha dog reviews are coming in with favorable comparisons to the lcd-2 and if they're as comfortable as mad dogs, I'm completely sold and hopefully done with this cycle of headphones stuff.

I wouldn't be opposed to sending you the alpha dogs I ordered for a few days to let you a/b with the lcd if you do the same with the lcd for me, depending on shipping costs.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2025 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 19:09:52 »

I wouldn't be opposed to sending you the alpha dogs I ordered for a few days to let you a/b with the lcd if you do the same with the lcd for me, depending on shipping costs.

I would be amenable to this

Offline jevvix

« Reply #2026 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 03:07:53 »
New member checking in...
Had the plastic Sennheiser HD280's that broke in under a year. What garbage those were, sound and build quality. Currently rocking ATH A700 powered by an HT Omega Claro. Had this setup for years now and it's served me quite well.

(oh, and use an AD2020 microphone too)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2027 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:01:06 »
So I got my cable yesterday. It seemed to have tamed the hd800's treble and now I am back to using the neutral rings. There's a perfect balance in bass, mids, and treble now with the Zu cable and the neutral anax 2.0 rings.

The only true upgrade to the hd800s are the sr-009s, which will cost upwards of $10k for the headphones and amp. Even then, the hd800s will still excel in soundstage and imaging. Last night I listened to the live version of Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over and I was amazed by the hd800's imaging capabilities. It made me feel like I was part of the audience; I was able to pinpoint where each instrument was coming from, and plus I was able to feel that the audience was clapping right next to me as I listened.

That being said, the rest of the headphones in the $1000-$2000 range are really just side-grades, with different flavors. Sacrificing one strength for another's. I don't see myself wanting a HE-6, Audeze, or T1 any time over the HD800s.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2028 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:08:50 »
So I got my cable yesterday. It seemed to have tamed the hd800's treble and now I am back to using the neutral rings. There's a perfect balance in bass, mids, and treble now with the Zu cable and the neutral anax 2.0 rings.

The only true upgrade to the hd800s are the sr-009s, which will cost upwards of $10k for the headphones and amp. Even then, the hd800s will still excel in soundstage and imaging. Last night I listened to the live version of Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over and I was amazed by the hd800's imaging capabilities. It made me feel like I was part of the audience; I was able to pinpoint where each instrument was coming from, and plus I was able to feel that the audience was clapping right next to me as I listened.

That being said, the rest of the headphones in the $1000-$2000 range are really just side-grades, with different flavors. Sacrificing one strength for another's. I don't see myself wanting a HE-6, Audeze, or T1 any time over the HD800s.
Well I didn't like the LCD-2 or the T1 at all really, haven't heard the HE-6 or LCD-3's though.

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #2029 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:28:41 »
What closed full-size headphone you indicate up to $100?
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2030 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:41:13 »

I would suggest finding a rebrand of the Fischer FA-003.  They range from $60-$120.

I just got some Fischer FA-003 Ti yesterday and compared them with my Mad Dogs.

There is a quality of Orthodynamic drivers that I just can not escape.  The sound HITS you in a way that I have not been able to experience with a dynamic driver.

I was able to EQ the Fischers by rolling off a bit of the high end and the neutral quality matched that of the mad-dogs.  Don't get me wrong-- there is incredibly accurate bass response, but there were some high frequencies which cut the mix perfectly even when subdued a couple db.  Even with the audio reproduction being incredibly similar there was a sterile, fun, quality of the sound pressure in the phones which just didn't HIT me like the mad-dogs would.

Between the two there is a $100 difference.  IF that means a lot to an end-user I would definitely recommend the Fischer FA-003 Ti as a neutral, light weight, easy to drive, and comfortable headphone.

FA-003 (Jaycar version/Yoga CD880) $50 - http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&w=AA2065&form=KEYWORD
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:47:02 by Binge »

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #2031 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:46:53 »

I would suggest finding a rebrand of the Fischer FA-003.  They range from $60-$120.

There is a quality of Orthodynamic drivers that I just can not escape.  The sound HITS you in a way that I have not been able to experience with a dynamic driver.

I was able to EQ the Fischers by rolling off a bit of the high end and the neutral quality matched that of the mad-dogs.  Don't get me wrong-- there is incredibly accurate bass response, but there were some high frequencies which cut the mix perfectly even when subdued a couple db.  Even with the audio reproduction being incredibly similar there was a sterile, fun, quality of the sound pressure in the phones which just didn't HIT me like the mad-dogs would.

Between the two there is a $100 difference.  IF that means a lot to an end-user I would definitely recommend the Fischer FA-003 Ti as a neutral, light weight, easy to drive, and comfortable headphone.

Thanks for all that info.  :)

Where did you buy yours?
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2032 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:47:33 »

Thanks for all that info.  :)

Where did you buy yours?

Just edited my post.  You can look for Jaycar re-brands of the Fischer FA-003 http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&w=AA2065&form=KEYWORD

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2033 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:55:40 »
Or you could get what can be turned into the mad dogs through mr. speakers, the fostex t50rp.  On their own, they're ok, but they can be modded to do some insane stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-A1000-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0033PROOY/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1383857685&sr=8-15&keywords=pioneer+headphones These are solid as well, but I've only read reviews, I haven't had the need to demo them.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2034 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 15:45:55 »
If you like diy Fostex T50rp is the way to go for under a hundred dollars, otherwise I tend to stay away from full-size phones in this price range as IEM's are of much higher value under a hundred bucks.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2035 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 16:42:15 »
Trust me-- there are people who will disagree with you on that point.  IEMs are not the budget hi-fi

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2036 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:31:24 »
I'd agree IEMs are the better value under $100. Vsonic VSD1/1s and RE-400 ftw.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #2037 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:33:48 »
I just got a pair of Audio Technica T400's and I'm not satisfied. The bass sounds okay but the mids are muffled and the highs aren't.....there.

Can anyone suggest a really good pair of $50 cans?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2038 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 18:07:37 »
Just edited my post.  You can look for Jaycar re-brands of the Fischer FA-003 http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&w=AA2065&form=KEYWORD

See the above link.  Great cans

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2039 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 19:27:53 »
buy demik's package >.>

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2040 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 20:09:34 »
buy demik's package >.>

Help this poor kid pay for law school.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2041 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 20:11:58 »
thank you gunner!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2042 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 01:23:52 »
So I've had my hd800s for a couple weeks now and I was immediately impressed with the detail and feel when I got them, but I've got enough bass head in me that I wanted a little more so I was still missing my lcd-2 (at the time with thegunner).

But the comfort was awesome.  One of the best things I've put around my ears, seriously. And that made me look into what mods I could do to get things a little more pleasing to my ears.

I've replaced the silver plated copper cable (SPC is said to contribute to a bright sound signature) with an OCC copper braided cable (8 threads for those that are interested). I've also done the Anax 2.0 mod that's on changstar.

Guys, I'm in love.  Favorite headphone now.

That's why my lcd-2 are for sale now.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2043 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 01:32:53 »
Needs moar bass

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2044 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 01:36:28 »
Needs moar bass

You'd hear two 18"s and think it needs more bass, sooo...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2045 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 01:39:11 »
True true

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2046 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 06:09:56 »
So I've had my hd800s for a couple weeks now and I was immediately impressed with the detail and feel when I got them, but I've got enough bass head in me that I wanted a little more so I was still missing my lcd-2 (at the time with thegunner).

But the comfort was awesome.  One of the best things I've put around my ears, seriously. And that made me look into what mods I could do to get things a little more pleasing to my ears.

I've replaced the silver plated copper cable (SPC is said to contribute to a bright sound signature) with an OCC copper braided cable (8 threads for those that are interested). I've also done the Anax 2.0 mod that's on changstar.

Guys, I'm in love.  Favorite headphone now.

That's why my lcd-2 are for sale now.

I felt like switching the cable and using balanced drive on my nfb-10es2 helped with the treble. More likely the cause of balanced drive rather than the cable itself, but who knows. Anax 2.0 = win. Can't wait for 3.0. Too bad most people on head-fi are too stubborn/ignorant to know what anax 2.0 is and complain about the hd800's treble  :llama:

That being said, the hd800s are definitely end game for me ^^

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2047 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:22:27 »
TJ, send me your LCD2s and let me contemplate owning them  :-\
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:48:00 by Binge »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2048 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:24:54 »
So...does anyone think I could do the Anax mod on my Grados? Would that even help? Seems like it would tone down the high end and increase the bass, both of which seem good. :D

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2049 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:35:23 »
So...does anyone think I could do the Anax mod on my Grados? Would that even help? Seems like it would tone down the high end and increase the bass, both of which seem good. :D

The anax 2.0 mod works on the hd800 because it was made specifically for the hd800s. The foam effectively increases the baffle size to prevent bass from leaking out and the rug liner is used as a dampening material. I think you should probably look into getting wooden cups for your grados.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686212/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come