Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316157 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2050 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:50:09 »
I was wondering why people were so into the wood cups. Thought it was for the looks but thanks for the read thegunner100 :D. I should make my own ^__^.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2051 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 15:13:20 »
A nice pair of wooden grados are supposed to be pretty balanced  :eek:
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2052 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 23:47:05 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2053 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 23:53:38 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2054 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 00:04:08 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2055 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 02:13:18 »
So I'm thinking of getting some ultrasone pro900 to see if those satisfy my bass needs.

Good idea or bad idea?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2056 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 02:46:32 »
So anyone try the LCD-X?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #2057 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 06:44:58 »
So I'm thinking of getting some ultrasone pro900 to see if those satisfy my bass needs.

Good idea or bad idea?

Noooo, don't do it!

So anyone try the LCD-X?

Yeah they're decent, but overpriced imo.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2058 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:11:02 »

Good idea or bad idea?

Noooo, don't do it!

So anyone try the LCD-X?

Yeah they're decent, but overpriced imo.
What do you suggest? Currently have a pair of mad dogs but even though I like them... bass could be better.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2059 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:11:51 »
Fostex TH-900 for bass :DD

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2060 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:28:40 »
> Google th900
> see price
> Nopenopenope

Let me rephrase my question.. suggestions for around 200-300 lol

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2061 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:29:41 »
What do you suggest? Currently have a pair of mad dogs but even though I like them... bass could be better.

What amp/dac do you have? I think the Phillips Fidelio X1 or the Beyerdynamic dt770/80ohm pro would be a MUCH better choice than the pro900. Those two headphones are more balanced (still with a bass emphasis), with the X1 winning over the dt770 in most areas.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-80-ohms/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385648902&sr=8-4&keywords=dt770
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385648923&sr=8-1&keywords=philip+x1

The dt990 is another great choice as well, and would be similiar sounding than the pro900 but with much cleaner bass (with good quantity as well), EQ'able treble (it is initially high, but not piercing like the pro900), and of course cheaper than the pro900 as well. The 250ohm pro is the way to go with the dt990.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385648896&sr=8-1&keywords=dt990

Edit: if you're only interested in closed headphones, than go for the dt770/80ohm pro. A used pair will go for round $140 or so.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2062 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:35:23 »
Wearing Fidelio X1 right now and theyre have very good bass, especially for an open headphone. But its noty basshead levels to me. They are of exceptional value though.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2063 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:37:33 »
Wearing Fidelio X1 right now and theyre have very good bass, especially for an open headphone. But its noty basshead levels to me. They are of exceptional value though.

Yeah... the dt990 has the most bass quantity out of any open headphone. It's amazing how they can produce so much bass for an open headphone. The X1's bass isn't too far behind in quantity though.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2064 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:39:42 »
Yeah they're my casual pc headphones and excel at that :D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2065 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:54:14 »
Right now using a magni/modi set up

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2066 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 09:34:35 »
Right now using a magni/modi set up

That would work well with all of the headphones, but a tube amp would be nicer for bass. Grab one of the three headphones and then maybe a Vali down the line, once some impressions come in.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2067 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:01:47 »
If you want closed headphones I heard the B&W P7 are supposed to be good and atleast close to that price range,

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2068 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:23:57 »
He has/had a pair of dt770s and there wasn't enough bass.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2069 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:29:21 »

Was it the 80ohm pro? The 80ohm pro has different dampening materials inside, and is much bassier than the other models.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2070 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:32:44 »

Was it the 80ohm pro? The 80ohm pro has different dampening materials inside, and is much bassier than the other models.

600ohm pros.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2071 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:47:56 »

600ohm pros.

"DT770 / 80Ohm: Has and enclosed/vented magnet area but nothing covering the driver. The enclosed magnet area should reduce the soundstage and lead to having more bass impact. The center of said enclosure is open in the center and has a sort of felt inlay in it. Also this model, as other DT770 models, has the additional plastic ring that goes around the magnet and is covered with felt as well as a bass port on each cup. This model is tuned a lot differently than the other DT770 models."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2072 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:35:33 »
The he-300 are a possibility as well, going for only $150 right now on sale. They're supposedly very bassy. Never tried them out myself though, so I don't really know for sure.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2073 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:46:15 »
That's almost worth the price to try.

I almost bit on the th600 from headamp.  I might still, but that alpha dog price is staying my hand at the moment.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2074 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 19:03:15 »

This

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2075 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 19:05:34 »

This

Oh yeah... I forgot. So dt990/250 pro, X1, or he-300 then.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2076 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:18:10 »

This

If you want bass so much, just get a pair of Beats bro.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2077 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 10:27:59 »
CommunistWitchDr owns the X1s... he seems REALLY pleased with the bass response, and he says it is quite heavy.  You may want to PM him for his feelings on the device.

As for the Vali- don't look to this tube setup to "warm" your music.  The hybrid amplifier is very nice, but extremely neutral.  It is not designed to show "tube" distortion at all.  The tubes are ultra-low microphonic, supurbly low THD, and are being used as a component in a solid state amp... they are not used for gain at all.

The vali does sound magnificent though :) I took some HD pictures of the Vali/Modi and my father took the time yesterday to explain the circuits to me.  I retained what I consider to be the important caveats, but there was a bit my pleb brain could not contain.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2078 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 10:36:35 »
CommunistWitchDr owns the X1s... he seems REALLY pleased with the bass response, and he says it is quite heavy.  You may want to PM him for his feelings on the device.

As for the Vali- don't look to this tube setup to "warm" your music.  The hybrid amplifier is very nice, but extremely neutral.  It is not designed to show "tube" distortion at all.  The tubes are ultra-low microphonic, supurbly low THD, and are being used as a component in a solid state amp... they are not used for gain at all.

The vali does sound magnificent though :) I took some HD pictures of the Vali/Modi and my father took the time yesterday to explain the circuits to me.  I retained what I consider to be the important caveats, but there was a bit my pleb brain could not contain.

Yes, the Vali is on the bright side of tubes from what I've read.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2079 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 10:42:57 »

Yes, the Vali is on the bright side of tubes from what I've read.

you could say that... I guess a lot of tube systems are warm.  These are not being utilized to make a tube sound.  The plate voltage is 40% below spec.  This is basically going to create nil harmonic distortion/coloring.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2080 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 10:48:24 »
Even then, the overall THD is pretty high from an amp. Doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good haha. My onkyo tx-8255 stereo receiver has .08% THD and its headphone out sounds pretty good with the hd800s :P

The Vali is also said to have the Eddie Current house sound, and is tubes done right. Solid State without the solid state glare. Supposedly.

Edit: for the less informed, .08% THD is high for a non-tube amp.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2013, 14:44:13 by thegunner100 »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2081 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 14:16:54 »
Even then, the overall THD is pretty high from an amp. Doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good haha. My onkyo tx-8255 stereo receiver has .08% THD and its headphone out sounds pretty good with the hd800s :P

Dude.. THD is low for a tube solution under $500 and even then THD can be balanced with circuitry.  Bringing your SS stereo receiver into this is really confusing... yes sounding good is important.  Sounding "correct" is more important.  If you want to know I care about clarity and separation of instruments.  An instrument which was there in the recording and does not cut the mix the way it was intended is an upsetting occurrence whenever I listen to a bad system.

I am thinking of a few particular songs which require a lot of color from the system to sound decent... the biggest issue with that is the songs to which I am referring are that they were poorly recorded.  That is not correct.  The Vali is a low distortion, very neutral sounding, tube pre into a SS power amplifier.   Whatever,

The Vali is also said to have the Eddie Current house sound, and is tubes done right. Solid State without the solid state glare. Supposedly.

^ this **** actually means.  I don't care if it is praise.  This is the most pretentious phrase and one of the reasons I have stayed away from posting in these places for so long.  >.< arg you have no idea how frustrating it must be for someone who doesn't know about/can't afford to listen to an Eddie Current setup to read this.  They have to take that comparison as something of substance.  It means ****squat.  Less than zilch.  Solid state without the glare?  Can you describe this in terms which mean a -- fuuuUUUUUUuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

* Binge takes a deep breath.

Bro, what does it matter that you figure your neat receiver has less than 1% of 1% thd and vali with less than 1% thd can sound "good" when you explain it to others in those terms?  What good does it do to mask your knowledge and experience behind a veil of jargon?
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2013, 14:33:29 by Binge »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2082 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 14:41:19 »
...what? I didn't mean to start an argument haha. I think you misunderstood me. We all have our preferences and I don't care what the THD value is. Obviously the THD value on the stereo receiver is high, and it is apparent when I listen to it and compare it to my uha-6s mkii, but it still sounds good. The receiver was only like $180 anyways.

Calm down. I'm only restating what I've read, and not from head-fi either. I guess if you really have a problem with this, then take it up with me through PM but I don't mean to be pretentious or anything. I feel like I have gathered some pretty good experience over the year or so that I've been in this hobby, at least with the gear under $1k. I've never heard any EC amps either but if the $119 Vali can sound similar (not necessarily better) to a $1800 EC amp and I like how it sounds, then great. If not, $119.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2083 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 14:53:52 »
This!  This anyone can understand even without previous knowledge/relation to the head-fi community  :-*

Next time I'll be less vocal now that I get where you're coming from.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #2084 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 23:58:39 »
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....how about them headphones?

First of next year I'm looking to buy a nice amp and headphones for around $300. Any suggestions? I've owned a pair of AKG K-702's but I'm looking for something that has on par sound without requiring as much power.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2085 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:08:28 »
Anyone have experience with the Schiit Vali? The reviews seem really promising but I don't know how it will fare on a desk that's not built like a tank. Will there be tube noise when typing, or when the desk rocks? I have no experience with tube amps and was wondering if the tubes make noise when changing the volume as well.

If not the Vali, I might be looking into the Magni but the Vali seems very good for the price. These will be paired with AKG Q701s and HiFiMan HE-400s. Thanks.

Edit: Going to be mainly listening to EDM / electronica, but also every other genre.

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:14:35 by stancato9 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2086 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:14:43 »

First of next year I'm looking to buy a nice amp and headphones for around $300. Any suggestions? I've owned a pair of AKG K-702's but I'm looking for something that has on par sound without requiring as much power.

I would say try to find a pair of pioneer se-a1000 (less than $50 new on amazon, great headphone) or audez'e he-300 (they're new for 150 on amazon currently) and a schiit vali/modi(dac).  If you can fudge the numbers a bit higher than $300, grab the audez'e he-400 for $299 and just the vali for now.  My personal choice would be the last at the $300ish price.

You might also be able to pick up a pair of Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs for the 200-250 range used.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-A1000-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0033PROOY/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&srs=2530157011&ie=UTF8&qid=1385878049&sr=1-11&keywords=pioneer+headphones

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-HE-300-HiFiMan-Headphones/dp/B00667F7OK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385878130&sr=1-1&keywords=he-300

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-HE-400-HiFiMan-Headphones/dp/B007ZG32I4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385878180&sr=1-2&keywords=he-300

http://schiit.com/products/vali

Anyone have experience with the Schiit Vali? The reviews seem really promising but I don't know how it will fare on a desk that's not built like a tank. Will there be tube noise when typing, or when the desk rocks? I have no experience with tube amps and was wondering if the tubes make noise when changing the volume as well.

If not the Vali, I might be looking into the Magni but the Vali seems very good for the price. These will be paired with AKG Q701s and HiFiMan HE-400s. Thanks.

From everything I've read so far, including chats with binge, microphonics are fairly non-existant except during turn on/off and plugging headphones in.  Schiit has a decent return policy as well if you aren't fully happy and could get the magni if that doesn't work out how you'd like.  I used the magni with the he-400s extensively and I was happy with the combination.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2087 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:19:51 »

I would say try to find a pair of pioneer se-a1000 (less than $50 new on amazon, great headphone) or audez'e he-300 (they're new for 150 on amazon currently) and a schiit vali/modi(dac).  If you can fudge the numbers a bit higher than $300, grab the audez'e he-400 for $299 and just the vali for now.  My personal choice would be the last at the $300ish price.

You might also be able to pick up a pair of Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs for the 200-250 range used.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-A1000-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0033PROOY/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&srs=2530157011&ie=UTF8&qid=1385878049&sr=1-11&keywords=pioneer+headphones

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-HE-300-HiFiMan-Headphones/dp/B00667F7OK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385878130&sr=1-1&keywords=he-300

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-HE-400-HiFiMan-Headphones/dp/B007ZG32I4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385878180&sr=1-2&keywords=he-300

http://schiit.com/products/vali

From everything I've read so far, including chats with binge, microphonics are fairly non-existant except during turn on/off and plugging headphones in.  Schiit has a decent return policy as well if you aren't fully happy and could get the magni if that doesn't work out how you'd like.  I used the magni with the he-400s extensively and I was happy with the combination.

Thanks for the quick reply. My main worry is the microphonics; mainly when changing volume/typing. On/off and plugging in shouldn't be much of an issue, but how long does it take for the sound to go away if the chassis is disturbed?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2088 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:59:56 »
Thanks for the quick reply. My main worry is the microphonics; mainly when changing volume/typing. On/off and plugging in shouldn't be much of an issue, but how long does it take for the sound to go away if the chassis is disturbed?

With most tubes the microphonics dissipate quickly once you warm the unit up.  For the best results... turn the volume knob to 0, turn on with headphones plugged in, listen for the initial ringing once the relay kicks on.  You will hear the ringing... it will fade.  When it is almost inaudible play some audio and turn it up gradually to your desired level.  This will prevent microphonics from looping in your device when starting it up from room temp.  I created myself a small 2 tier stand for my vali... but it isn't really needed.  Make sure you put the little rubber feet on the bottom and put it on top of something else with rubber dampening/foam under it.  wooden block on 1/4"foam would do fine. I have a typing tray next to my vali on a dampened tiered stand.  No problems at all.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2089 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:24:47 »

With most tubes the microphonics dissipate quickly once you warm the unit up.  For the best results... turn the volume knob to 0, turn on with headphones plugged in, listen for the initial ringing once the relay kicks on.  You will hear the ringing... it will fade.  When it is almost inaudible play some audio and turn it up gradually to your desired level.  This will prevent microphonics from looping in your device when starting it up from room temp.  I created myself a small 2 tier stand for my vali... but it isn't really needed.  Make sure you put the little rubber feet on the bottom and put it on top of something else with rubber dampening/foam under it.  wooden block on 1/4"foam would do fine. I have a typing tray next to my vali on a dampened tiered stand.  No problems at all.

Hmm thanks. I am a little worried about purchasing the Vali. It would be an amp that I use almost 24/7 and would be changing the volume very frequently. Like I said before, my desk isn't the most solid thing. Even my monitors sway quite a bit when I type. Do you think that would cause microphonics even after adding some dampening foam?

Are the microphonics present at all even when the amp is completely still/undisturbed?

Edit: Binge, is the stand you made on your desk? Or is it a proprietary stand off the floor?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:35:41 by stancato9 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #2090 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:42:08 »
Looks like I'm going for the HiFiMAN HE-400's and the Vali.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2091 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:46:19 »

Why aren't you just getting an amp for the K702s?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2092 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:48:04 »
modded fostex like mad dogs > HE400 any day :3 I'm a convert

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2093 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 02:14:33 »

hi5

modded fostex like mad dogs > HE400 any day :3 I'm a convert

Good other option.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2094 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 03:08:52 »
I've just missed an awesome deal on NIB DT990s (not Pro)... It was a steal at €80.

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #2095 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 04:45:49 »
:o a headphone thread

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2096 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 07:04:06 »
Never really been a fan of orthos. He-400 @ $300 is probably a good deal, though I've never heard it on a desktop setup. I hope you enjoy your purchase though. My Vali has already arrived at my school, assuming my school's mail room didn't mess anything up.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2097 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 17:54:23 »

This

I tried them out and the bass extension was weak like it is for the 880 and 990 as well.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2098 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 19:25:43 »
Has anyone ordered from Schiit to Canada? I am asking because I am fearful of customs charges although there shouldn't be any because of NAFTA. Schiit's products are made in America so we aren't supposed to get charged customs at all. When I emailed Schiit, they said they have had mixed responses with customs so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences. Thanks.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2099 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 20:12:36 »
Has anyone ordered from Schiit to Canada? I am asking because I am fearful of customs charges although there shouldn't be any because of NAFTA. Schiit's products are made in America so we aren't supposed to get charged customs at all. When I emailed Schiit, they said they have had mixed responses with customs so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences. Thanks.

Would they not charge appropriate sales tax (or whatever it's called)?