Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316221 times)

Offline stancato9

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2100 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 20:13:36 »
Has anyone ordered from Schiit to Canada? I am asking because I am fearful of customs charges although there shouldn't be any because of NAFTA. Schiit's products are made in America so we aren't supposed to get charged customs at all. When I emailed Schiit, they said they have had mixed responses with customs so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences. Thanks.

Would they not charge appropriate sales tax (or whatever it's called)?

I have no clue how it works, but when I emailed them they explained that any product they shipped to Canada should be exempt from any fees.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #2101 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 17:52:11 »
People in general need to start learning how to use EQ. For some reason audiophiles think it is icky or something.

Anyways, I have had my hd600 for about 8 years now (wow I can't believe it's been that long!) and they have proven to be one of the best purchases I've made. I've fussed around with different amps and DACs but at the end of the day the difference is negligible. For high ohm headphones, the amp actually has less of an effect on the sound quality because they don't drain current. You really just need something with a high enough voltage swing to reach the desired volume levels. I know this contradicts almost everything people read on places like head-fi, but that is the simple truth. FYI, don't ever go on head-fi. Those people are horribly misinformed. They would have you believe that iPods are poor audio sources. iPods are brilliant sources, so long as you are ripping your music with sufficient quality.  They would have you believe that headphones need to be "burned in" for 502350230 hours before you can listen to them. They would have you buy a new $500 headphone amplifier before tweaking EQ if more midrange is needed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:01:11 by eisenhower »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #2102 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:26:45 »
People in general need to start learning how to use EQ. For some reason audiophiles think it is icky or something.

Anyways, I have had my hd600 for about 8 years now (wow I can't believe it's been that long!) and they have proven to be one of the best purchases I've made. I've fussed around with different amps and DACs but at the end of the day the difference is negligible. For high ohm headphones, the amp actually has less of an effect on the sound quality because they don't drain current. You really just need something with a high enough voltage swing to reach the desired volume levels. I know this contradicts almost everything people read on places like head-fi, but that is the simple truth. FYI, don't ever go on head-fi. Those people are horribly misinformed. They would have you believe that iPods are poor audio sources. iPods are brilliant sources, so long as you are ripping your music with sufficient quality.  They would have you believe that headphones need to be "burned in" for 502350230 hours before you can listen to them. They would have you buy a new $500 headphone amplifier before tweaking EQ if more midrange is needed.

This is as bad as saying that the odac is perfectly transparent, or that placing some pebbles near your equipment will magically make them sound better. EQ is great for making minor tweaks, but not for changing the overall sound of the headphones. Yes, many people on head-fi are misinformed. No, the ipod is not a brilliant source. There are many better daps out there.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #2103 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:52:11 »

This is as bad as saying that the odac is perfectly transparent, or that placing some pebbles near your equipment will magically make them sound better. EQ is great for making minor tweaks, but not for changing the overall sound of the headphones. Yes, many people on head-fi are misinformed. No, the ipod is not a brilliant source. There are many better daps out there.

Saying that EQ is useful is as bad as "placing some pebbles near your equipment ..."? Are you joking? This is a perfect example of the point I was making. There is no difference between adding bass with EQ versus adding bass with a colored source or headphone. Frequency response is frequency response. I'm also not sure how you are differentiating "overall sound" with "minor tweaks". A minor tweak changes the overall sound. People spend thousands of dollars to get minor tweaks.

There are actually only a few portable DAPs that are better than the iPod. Namely, several of the sansa players that have lower output impedance. But they are worse in other areas. None of that changes the fact that the iPod is a fantastic source. If you have concrete proof otherwise (measurements) please do share. Here are measurements which say the opposite: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2104 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:55:44 »
I didn't say EQ specifically. I understand the usefulness of EQ but it can't do things that better amps can do for headphones. Take your objectivism elsewhere please. Measurements don't explain everything.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #2105 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:00:40 »
Take your objectivism elsewhere please.

Are you a moderator?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2106 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 02:03:27 »

Saying that EQ is useful is as bad as "placing some pebbles near your equipment ..."? Are you joking? This is a perfect example of the point I was making. There is no difference between adding bass with EQ versus adding bass with a colored source or headphone. Frequency response is frequency response. I'm also not sure how you are differentiating "overall sound" with "minor tweaks". A minor tweak changes the overall sound. People spend thousands of dollars to get minor tweaks.

There are actually only a few portable DAPs that are better than the iPod. Namely, several of the sansa players that have lower output impedance. But they are worse in other areas. None of that changes the fact that the iPod is a fantastic source. If you have concrete proof otherwise (measurements) please do share. Here are measurements which say the opposite: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

please stay... science has a place.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2107 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 07:53:50 »
please stay... science has a place.

Science taken to the extremes is as bad as pseudoscience.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2108 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:01:18 »
The issue I see with places like head-fi is that a number of the people who want to have a voice believe that they have a hard time arguing with folks with hard facts... charts etc.  They trust their senses.  This is not a bad thing.

People with understanding of science/engineering/math etc sometimes get into these ruts where they think they are always right and there is nothing new to discover.  While this is a comfortable place it is not accurate and sometimes the people who trust their senses pick up on something proprietary which isn't discussed in common place...

There are all kinds of "mysteries" in the audio world.  Some are much more real than others.  I come from a background where I grew up around engineers and always been taught to seek the hard facts behind specs.  There are amps out there that claim ridiculous SNR.  They are actually recycling a spec from a part they use which is not accurate in their build.  There are conditions that need to be met for that part to reach its rated SNR, and they are not always taken into account...

I've also been told by the same people who taught me to question things that I need not question facts.  This is wrong.  In real science you always continue to observe.  It may be hard to prove a suspicion, but there is no reason to say that an observation is completely invalid unless tested to be false.

A lot of what we hear we can not measure except by responding to what we think we can hear.  This is not scientific by some definition but it IS the basis of scientific current "fact" about human hearing.  Without finding a happy medium where you can measure and use your own senses to analyze you will always be missing out on more than just half of the picture.

Please keep learning hackers.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2109 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:18:44 »
The issue I see with places like head-fi is that a number of the people who want to have a voice believe that they have a hard time arguing with folks with hard facts... charts etc.  They trust their senses.  This is not a bad thing.

People with understanding of science/engineering/math etc sometimes get into these ruts where they think they are always right and there is nothing new to discover.  While this is a comfortable place it is not accurate and sometimes the people who trust their senses pick up on something proprietary which isn't discussed in common place...

There are all kinds of "mysteries" in the audio world.  Some are much more real than others.  I come from a background where I grew up around engineers and always been taught to seek the hard facts behind specs.  There are amps out there that claim ridiculous SNR.  They are actually recycling a spec from a part they use which is not accurate in their build.  There are conditions that need to be met for that part to reach its rated SNR, and they are not always taken into account...

I've also been told by the same people who taught me to question things that I need not question facts.  This is wrong.  In real science you always continue to observe.  It may be hard to prove a suspicion, but there is no reason to say that an observation is completely invalid unless tested to be false.

A lot of what we hear we can not measure except by responding to what we think we can hear.  This is not scientific by some definition but it IS the basis of scientific current "fact" about human hearing.  Without finding a happy medium where you can measure and use your own senses to analyze you will always be missing out on more than just half of the picture.

Please keep learning hackers.

Much more informative and reasonable than what eisenhower said.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2110 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:29:30 »
Regarding EQ- I find there to be a fundamental problem with all EQ.  EQ does not discriminate when it comes to instruments.  When albums are made each channel has its own EQ.  Some instruments contain frequency detail  which isn't meant to have a boost beyond a certain level in the track or detail of other instruments would be lost even if boosted equally.

I choose to try and get as neutral of a response as possible because I don't want to miss an instrument or nuance of that instrument.  Without some pretty high tech wizardry it is hard to get that stuff back with an EQ.  It's also very easy to go too far with the EQ and make less subtle changes.  This is probably why folks do not swear by equalization.  There is simply too much to fk up for it to be intuitive to some people.

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #2111 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 00:43:27 »
Regarding EQ- I find there to be a fundamental problem with all EQ.  EQ does not discriminate when it comes to instruments.  When albums are made each channel has its own EQ.  Some instruments contain frequency detail  which isn't meant to have a boost beyond a certain level in the track or detail of other instruments would be lost even if boosted equally.

I choose to try and get as neutral of a response as possible because I don't want to miss an instrument or nuance of that instrument.  Without some pretty high tech wizardry it is hard to get that stuff back with an EQ.  It's also very easy to go too far with the EQ and make less subtle changes.  This is probably why folks do not swear by equalization.  There is simply too much to fk up for it to be intuitive to some people.

Trained audio engineer here - I would argue that your fundamental problem with EQ is not a problem at all, rather it's a common misconception about creating proper frequency response curves.  Your second statement about trying to create as neutral of a response as possible is exactly the correct approach.

EQ should really only be used to adjust the frequency response for the playback device within your room so that you hear the music back as flat as possible.  You want your listening environment to match as close as possible what the mastering engineer was hearing.  Every speaker has its own unique playback curve, and the EQ applied to it should be the inverse of that curve.  To add even more difficulty, every room also has its own playback curve which also needs to be addressed via the EQ curve.

Now with that said, sometimes your speakers/headphones are so crappy (Like my car speakers) that you have to do some extreme EQ just to mask how crappy they really are  :)

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2112 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 09:49:52 »

Trained audio engineer here - I would argue that your fundamental problem with EQ is not a problem at all, rather it's a common misconception about creating proper frequency response curves.  Your second statement about trying to create as neutral of a response as possible is exactly the correct approach.

EQ should really only be used to adjust the frequency response for the playback device within your room so that you hear the music back as flat as possible.  You want your listening environment to match as close as possible what the mastering engineer was hearing.  Every speaker has its own unique playback curve, and the EQ applied to it should be the inverse of that curve.  To add even more difficulty, every room also has its own playback curve which also needs to be addressed via the EQ curve.

Now with that said, sometimes your speakers/headphones are so crappy (Like my car speakers) that you have to do some extreme EQ just to mask how crappy they really are  :)

^ It is hard to use an eq effectively imho, thanks for your input!  Please post your wisdom around these parts :D

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #2113 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 10:56:09 »
^ It is hard to use an eq effectively imho, thanks for your input!  Please post your wisdom around these parts :D

I suppose I should probably dive a little deeper in what I do and what I actually do for a living.  While I'm a trained audio engineer and worked in that world for a number of years, I've migrated into the video compression world (Yes, that's actually something you can do as a career).  Because of my professional AV work, I have a little more insight than most into all things video compression, HTPC, home NAS's, etc...

Perhaps I should start a few separate threads about each of my areas of expertise to help others around here...

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2114 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 00:44:33 »

I suppose I should probably dive a little deeper in what I do and what I actually do for a living.  While I'm a trained audio engineer and worked in that world for a number of years, I've migrated into the video compression world (Yes, that's actually something you can do as a career).  Because of my professional AV work, I have a little more insight than most into all things video compression, HTPC, home NAS's, etc...

Perhaps I should start a few separate threads about each of my areas of expertise to help others around here...

I'm sure it would be appreciated.  Video compression is fascinating.  Such a tough thing to get right... you really like your balancing acts lol

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2115 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 10:28:59 »

Yes please! That'd be really cool to read and learn :D

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #2116 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 10:35:47 »

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2117 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 12:16:13 »
Left cable to my LCD-2's just fell out. Not the actual connector, but the wire itself fell out of the connector. What the actual **** Audeze? And they cost $80 new which means I'm not gonna be able to use them until I've some extra pocket money. I always figured that since the headphones cost over 1k that the cables would be of a decent quality, or at least cone in a braided sleeve. Really miffed right now.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2118 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 12:42:01 »
Left cable to my LCD-2's just fell out. Not the actual connector, but the wire itself fell out of the connector. What the actual **** Audeze? And they cost $80 new which means I'm not gonna be able to use them until I've some extra pocket money. I always figured that since the headphones cost over 1k that the cables would be of a decent quality, or at least cone in a braided sleeve. Really miffed right now.

Then why give them more money?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2119 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 12:59:11 »

They make amazing headphones for one, hands down the favorite in my collection. I was pondering getting a custom braided cable made but they are so damn expensive, and spending a lot for audio cables is a huge pet peeve of mine. The cable that broke wasn't defective(I think.) The rubber ring guards on the end on the wire end all broke their 'ribs' (not sure how else to explain it) on one side and I guess that was a big part of what was holding it in the hole.

I was looking at this guys cables, but $150 minimum is simply insane to me. http://www.headphile.com/page16.html
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 13:04:53 by noisyturtle »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2120 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 13:07:30 »

They make amazing headphones for one, hands down the favorite in my collection. I was pondering getting a custom braided cable made but they are so damn expensive, and spending a lot for audio cables is a huge pet peeve of mine. The cable that broke wasn't defective(I think.) The rubber ring guards on the end on the wire end all broke their 'ribs' (not sure how else to explain it) on one side and I guess that was a big part of what was holding it in the hole.

I was looking at this guys cables, but $150 minimum is simply insane to me. http://www.headphile.com/page16.html

Those are good looking splitter things.

But really, you know there's another cable seller talking to you right now, right?

http://www.mimic-cables.com/products/custom-headphone-cable

Order two if you want it braided.  Standard cable is canare starquad.

Also, I enjoy my lcd-2 quite a lot, too.  Not as much as my hd800, but I think I might like the lcd-x/xc more than them.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2121 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 13:22:38 »

Those are good looking splitter things.

But really, you know there's another cable seller talking to you right now, right?

http://www.mimic-cables.com/products/custom-headphone-cable

Order two if you want it braided.  Standard cable is canare starquad.

Also, I enjoy my lcd-2 quite a lot, too.  Not as much as my hd800, but I think I might like the lcd-x/xc more than them.

Yeah, the XC is really appealing just for the closed back, although audiophiles will argue that you only get true clarity through opened back cans. I'm actually pondering selling my 2's for a set of XC's but there's nowhere to really sample them around me.

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #2122 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 13:53:52 »
Any help on some cheaper IEM's?  I dont wear headphones often but I have some cheap pairs now and I am tired of how they sound.  Only pair I have left are some uber cheap ME M6's for when I am just outside doing yard work or exercising but they sound pretty terrible overall.  I had an old pair of Shures but I have no clue what the model was, they broke a long while back.

Looking at the JVC FX40A or the Soundmagic E10's - both would be run off an iPhone for sound, again we are talking casual listening!

Listen to a little bit of everything from Trance to Metal to Classical, just depends on mood.  My current home setup for in my office where I spend the majority of my time listening these days is a pair of B&W 601's paired with a small Energy sub. 

Realize what I am looking at is nowhere near the level you guys are using but was hoping for some general feedback/suggestions.  Head Fi can get a wee bit biased and crazy at times...  I have a bunch of business meetings I need to fly out for coming up early next year and want to get a pair that is decent but easy to pack and wear on the plane, cab, subway, etc.
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2123 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 13:56:40 »
Any help on some cheaper IEM's?  I dont wear headphones often but I have some cheap pairs now and I am tired of how they sound.  Only pair I have left are some uber cheap ME M6's for when I am just outside doing yard work or exercising but they sound pretty terrible overall.  I had an old pair of Shures but I have no clue what the model was, they broke a long while back.

Looking at the JVC FX40A or the Soundmagic E10's - both would be run off an iPhone for sound, again we are talking casual listening!

Listen to a little bit of everything from Trance to Metal to Classical, just depends on mood.  My current home setup for in my office where I spend the majority of my time listening these days is a pair of B&W 601's paired with a small Energy sub. 

Realize what I am looking at is nowhere near the level you guys are using but was hoping for some general feedback/suggestions.  Head Fi can get a wee bit biased and crazy at times...  I have a bunch of business meetings I need to fly out for coming up early next year and want to get a pair that is decent but easy to pack and wear on the plane, cab, subway, etc.

Vsonics VSD1S is a great place to start. It's a bit more expensive but well worth their cost.

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #2124 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 14:10:57 »

Vsonics VSD1S is a great place to start. It's a bit more expensive but well worth their cost.

Price isnt bad at all but where do you buy them?  Only place I can locate so far is eBay and someplace in Singapore!

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2125 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 14:13:32 »
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=76

Is where I bought my pair from. They're based in singapore but have warehouses in the U.S, so it'll be quick shipping.

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #2126 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 14:28:38 »
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=76

Is where I bought my pair from. They're based in singapore but have warehouses in the U.S, so it'll be quick shipping.

Awesome!  I will definitely check them out.  Budget was around $50 so these are fine.  I listed the others earlier as they seemed to have excellent reviews for their price point.  More than $50 and I would rather invest in some better models.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2127 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 14:40:08 »
Check out joker's review on innerfidelity on them:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/more-less-vsonic-vsd1-and-vsd1s

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #2128 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:16:47 »
Much more informative and reasonable than what eisenhower said.

Another shining example of an informative post...

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #2129 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:28:10 »

I don't see how this view is contrary to an objective one. It isn't measurements v.s. listening, it is objective evaluation (blind listening tests, measurements) v.s. sighted testing with ill-defined terminology ("This new cable makes my headphones sound more musical").

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2130 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:46:32 »
So obviously, solid state amps are better than tube amps because they measure better, amirite?

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #2131 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 17:07:56 »
So obviously, solid state amps are better than tube amps because they measure better, amirite?

So obviously tube amps have soul and warmth and SS amps are cold and sterile?

I can make strawmen too.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2132 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 17:11:41 »

So obviously tube amps have soul and warmth and SS amps are cold and sterile?

I can make strawmen too.

Doesn't everyone know that?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2133 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 18:58:05 »

I don't see how this view is contrary to an objective one. It isn't measurements v.s. listening, it is objective evaluation (blind listening tests, measurements) v.s. sighted testing with ill-defined terminology ("This new cable makes my headphones sound more musical").

I hope I didn't seem to come off as enforcing less than objective thinking, and I hope that listeners, who trust their ears, keep trusting what they hear while continuing to learn.  Just because hearing stops does not mean that there is more to what we perceive.

That being said...  I hate bad terminology more than the next guy, but take a step back and cool your heat blasters.  How will people want to learn if they think it'll turn them into such a sourpuss?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2134 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 09:14:15 »
I'm currently using Monoprice 8320 earbuds and I don't like the stock tips. Was poking around and found Comply tips. Anyone have opinions on them? And maybe someone can point me to a trusted source where you can get other kinds of tips for earbuds? I'm a little leery of buying random tips I find on eBay.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2135 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 09:16:52 »
Comply tips dull the treble out a bit, I'm not big into foam tips since they take so long to insert properly.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline mreverything

« Reply #2136 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 09:18:27 »
+1 for the Koss PortaPros. Simple. Great.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2137 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 10:03:02 »
Eh what?
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #2138 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 10:48:08 »
I'm currently using Monoprice 8320 earbuds and I don't like the stock tips. Was poking around and found Comply tips. Anyone have opinions on them? And maybe someone can point me to a trusted source where you can get other kinds of tips for earbuds? I'm a little leery of buying random tips I find on eBay.

You can buy the Comply tips from Amazon.  I personally haven't had any issues with the stock earbuds with Monoprice or Sennheiser earbuds, but those Comply tips look quite nice.  I might have to try a pair.

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline bigx333

« Reply #2139 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 11:26:09 »
I got an email from my choice audio store saying that he got a Stax SR-007 in the store that I can sample... I kinda feel that my wallet isn't gonna survive this  :eek:
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2140 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 11:47:45 »
I got an email from my choice audio store saying that he got a Stax SR-007 in the store that I can sample... I kinda feel that my wallet isn't gonna survive this  :eek:

See if he has any Koss ESP 950.  I am in love with mine.

Offline bigx333

« Reply #2141 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 11:59:45 »

His mostly a speaker store, when it comes to headphones he only sells Stax's.

The thing is that I'm on a honey moon with my Beyerdynamic T1 but I've the feeling that this sample is gonna ruin it  :))
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2142 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 12:40:05 »

The thing is that I'm on a honey moon with my Beyerdynamic T1 but I've the feeling that this sample is gonna ruin it  :))

It will.  It most definitely will.  Be warned estats are very clean

Offline bigx333

« Reply #2143 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 13:22:23 »

It will.  It most definitely will.  Be warned estats are very clean

I've a Stax 307 on the office, the first time I heard I actually got impressed how clean and controlled it sounded specially considering the relatively low price.
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline mreverything

« Reply #2144 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 13:23:06 »
Eh what?
Digging up old news. Pages 1, 30, 33, 56, 61.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #2145 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 19:18:42 »

Be glad it wasn't an SR-009.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #2146 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 22:37:04 »
Need some advice from my audio peeps:

Need an Amp and set of headphones for the holidays, going to be all for me. (christmas wooo). Budget is around $200-250

CptBroAss suggested the Schiit Magni Amp , which is $100, and I've heard from some others that that's a great starting amp, so i think i might roll with that unless anyone has any other suggestions.

As for headphones, I have no idea. I was looking at the HD 598's, and at the ATH-M50s. I dont really know personally the difference between open / closed headphones, but from what i hear, i think i'm going to want closed ones. My favorite type of music is EDM, mainly trance and deep house (I think that's a factor in this)

Also need cables, I have the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo, not sure if that info is needed.

just looking for suggestions/ideas, thanks for the help.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2147 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 22:47:58 »
Need some advice from my audio peeps:

Need an Amp and set of headphones for the holidays, going to be all for me. (christmas wooo). Budget is around $200-250

CptBroAss suggested the Schiit Magni Amp , which is $100, and I've heard from some others that that's a great starting amp, so i think i might roll with that unless anyone has any other suggestions.

As for headphones, I have no idea. I was looking at the HD 598's, and at the ATH-M50s. I dont really know personally the difference between open / closed headphones, but from what i hear, i think i'm going to want closed ones. My favorite type of music is EDM, mainly trance and deep house (I think that's a factor in this)

Also need cables, I have the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo, not sure if that info is needed.

just looking for suggestions/ideas, thanks for the help.

Open headphones are clear sounding.  Closed have a slightly muffled sound.  The benefit to closed is that they bleed out less sound.

Just use any cable that works.  They don't influence the sound in any perceivable way.

You should get a used Sennheiser HD600 which has by far the best value in the $200-$300 range.

Amp doesn't matter nearly as much as headphone selection does.  You should be fine with a soundcard.  I A-B'd a $5 soundcard, a $200 soundcard, a $500 discreet amp, and a $900 discreet amp and found very little difference between them.  If you like a smooth/warm sound, you could get a tube amp that clips with the tubes a bit, though that will run you $150+ just for the amp.  Though that can be simulated by a $0 DSP :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2148 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 23:07:25 »
i have yet to see you suggest anything other than hd600s. you really love those headphones don't you
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2149 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 00:16:13 »
I'd say the recommendation of a 598 would be really rough for your purposes.  Open headphones have a tough time tackling bass response, and those that do well with bass can go a bit too far.  Without getting a lot more pricey I would say open is going to be impossible to find a good solution

Recently I recommended a sub $100 pair of headphones which are Fischer Audio FA-003 clones called NVX Audio XTP-100.  eckse from IRC showed me these after I've been following the FA-003 and its clones.  This is a great package and comes with extra angled ear-pads and an extra detachable cable for replacement.  The total cost of the bundle is $80 with free shipping.  I have had great success with this headphone paired with a Roland Tri-Capture which is a DAC/AMP for the desktop with other I/O for $120.

This info will be in my review-- this is a very high end sounding headphone that will grow with you for years.  It is also great for isolation and not lacking in articulation despite pointyfox's claims that a closed headphone sounds muffled.  Just remember you'll be going to college soon enough and noise is a part of that experience.  You can block it out with these or hear people crashing around which will disturb your jams.

::EDIT:: I'm not saying that the headphone I suggested would suit your current musical tastes the most but it is a safe bet and can be EQed to suit your taste without losing its clean sound.  Also like I mentioned it will grow with you.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 December 2013, 00:19:55 by Binge »