Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316148 times)

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2250 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 09:46:51 »
The HD650 is supposely more "coloured" while the HD600 is more neutral from what I've heard
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2251 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 12:48:02 »
Conclusion

The headphoens I sampled this time are all without proper amplifications, for the source I used is merely a tablet (not to mention wire and DAC, which I have no idea how they affect the sound). I am planning to attend the next head-fi meetup in NY, looking forward to test some other headphone and make my final decision of buying one!

ALWAYS have a proper source.  Most of the headphones you reviewed will have lacking bass response and unreliable treble due to the source being underpowered.  An ipad would be unable to power any of the headphones in your review other than the FA-003Ti

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2252 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:08:09 »
The HD650 is supposely more "coloured" while the HD600 is more neutral from what I've heard

It is.  Very slightly though.  The HD650 has slightly less treble than neutral and slightly more bass than the HD600, in terms of volume.  I picked the HD600 over the HD650 because cymbals ..ahem.. "piatti sospeso" in particular sounded more lifelike to me on them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:10:01 by PointyFox »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2253 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 20:02:19 »
Got these a few days ago but just got around to taking pics  :D

Very pleased with the sound on these. The HE-400s are a little heavy but still very comfortable, and the drivers don't touch my ears at all.

Once I get a little more cash I'll add a Modi and some Mimic cables to the setup.

Offline antCB

« Reply #2254 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:48:44 »
home:
Speakers : Creative Inspire P380 (2.1);
HeadPhones : Superlux HD681

onthego: Razer Electra (has 2 wires, 1 of them with built-in mic for mobile phones/Macs !)

Superlux HD681

Razer Electra

None are attached to an AMP/fancy sound card :( ; straight into onboard card.
Both headsets were cheap and brand new, the superlux's were 10€ (12$/13$) me and a bunch of friends decided to buy them so we got a bulk order discount. Bought the electras because I really liked how they looked and they cost me 15€ or 20€ (18$~24$) after I cashed-in a discount on a recently purchased laptop (buy laptop, get 30% of its price in discount, something like that)
Steelseries 6GV2 ISO-PT with Gateron Blues.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #2255 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 00:33:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

Very pleased with the sound on these. The HE-400s are a little heavy but still very comfortable, and the drivers don't touch my ears at all.

Once I get a little more cash I'll add a Modi and some Mimic cables to the setup.

How's that combo working for you?  I was thinking of picking those two up if massdrop ever gets the he-400 back up.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2256 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 17:14:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

How's that combo working for you?  I was thinking of picking those two up if massdrop ever gets the he-400 back up.

I don't have much else in the way of high quality audio gear to compare them to, but as far as fit and function they're absolutely great. I have no problem with wearing the headphones all day. I think it's a great combo, especially for the price.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #2257 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 22:03:05 »
Looks like Feenix finally unveiled their new audiophile level Aria headphones.

http://www.feenixcollection.com/aria.html

$349 pre-order
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #2258 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 22:24:11 »
Looks like Feenix finally unveiled their new audiophile level Aria headphones.

http://www.feenixcollection.com/aria.html

$349 pre-order

They look nice on paper!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2259 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 22:41:16 »
They is fischers!

fenix,

Driver unit: 50mm Impedance: 64 ohm Sensitivity: 101dB Frequency Response: 10Hz~26KHz Weight: 370g

fischer fa-003ti

Frequency range: 10-26000 Hz
Sensitivity: 101 dB
Impedance: 64 Ohm
Driver: 50mm

weight: 370g
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 February 2014, 22:43:01 by Binge »

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #2260 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 22:45:35 »
They is fischers!

fenix,

Driver unit: 50mm Impedance: 64 ohm Sensitivity: 101dB Frequency Response: 10Hz~26KHz Weight: 370g

fischer fa-003ti

Huh? Is that a good thing? :P
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2261 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 23:26:49 »
They is fischers!

fenix,

fischer fa-003ti

generally? but it's uhm... much more expensive than a fischer.

Offline Larken

« Reply #2262 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 23:35:08 »
the general design does resemble that of the fischer, but doesn't the 003ti use 42mm drivers?
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2263 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 02:01:08 »
the general design does resemble that of the fischer, but doesn't the 003ti use 42mm drivers?

:( I am seeing 42mm official on their site.  So my memory must be a little bad.

Offline Larken

« Reply #2264 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 02:14:52 »

:( I am seeing 42mm official on their site.  So my memory must be a little bad.

I don't think you're too far off though. It does resemble a custom tuned fischer 003 in many aspects, which is not a bad thing. That price tag, however....  :rolleyes:
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2265 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 02:15:21 »
USB adapter and 6.3mm Stereo jack adapter included

:'(

349 bucks and it's still using a 1/8 jack.
That's a bit of a tell tale sign that it's way overpriced ... I mean aside from it being a fischer.

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2014, 02:17:10 by the1onewolf »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2266 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 02:27:36 »
USB adapter and 6.3mm Stereo jack adapter included

:'(

349 bucks and it's still using a 1/8 jack.
That's a bit of a tell tale sign that it's way overpriced ... I mean aside from it being a fischer.

I'm only suspecting it of being a fischer.

The jack is not a bad size :-/

I see an alu band, wood cups, and a well spec'ed driver.  I'd just want to see measurements.

Definitely would not buy without seeing measurements/review/listening.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #2267 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 02:28:09 »
They have the same OEM supplier (Yoga) but these are different headphones: Aria = Yoga CD-2500

Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Re: Newbie's review of his first headphone sampling run
« Reply #2268 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 03:19:09 »
Prelude

So I found myself mysteriously drawn into the headphone business a couple months ago, and got myself a first pair of "decent" fullsize headphone according to a head-fi-er's advice --- the fischer fa-003 --- it was praised for its unmatched neutrality and soundstage at its price level. However I was quite disapointed by the sound it produced, so I went on and did some research online, reading reviews, surfing reddits... Eventually I realised that my ears are the most reliable advicer I can ever have, so I decided to sample some headphones.

I went to B&H 9th avenue in Mannhattan following other people's suggestions, with a pair of ears long wanted to experience the "hifi" sound, I begun my jounery...

Music

Baptised by classical music through all my life, and being a piano player myself, my ears just cannot bear the noise and disturbance created by pop music, so my catagory is very limited, but I am hoping to enjoy some ragtime or jazz later on. The tracks I used in this sampling are: BWV 537-Bach, La Campanella-Liszt, Pastorale-Beethoven, Nocturnes Op.9 No.1-Chopin. All flac 690Kbps, source from a nexus 10.

HD 600

One of the most praised headphone from what I read, my expectation for this one is huge, and ready to be blown away by it. The comforte is unparalled, the headband so light and the velorpads so soft that I hardly feel it on my head, and the open back design makes my ears feel so fresh after so many years behind the closed back headphones. The organ works from Bach sounds very nice but I think a little more bass would be perfect. The Liszt etude is my track to test the treble, it sounds a little bit dull compare to a real piano, which has a very clear, bell-like sound. It is the symphony by Beethoven really pulls this headphone apart from the others. The different instruments are extremely distinguishable and clear, and I can clearly hear the notes from the drums and double basses in the right wing compare to a sea of bassy vibration produced by my previous headphones. Overall the headphone is great, but I expected a lot more imaging from a open back headphone.

AKG 701

The AKG 701 called to my attention for its supreme soundstage mentioned by numerous people. While the soundstage is much, much bigger than that of the HD 600, I find its sound signature much to my disliking, too "spiky" for classical music in my opinion, maybe good for more modern musics.

HD 800

The model they had in store is broken, the wire connected to the right driver is exposed and disjointed, but it doesn't stop me from realising its glory---OMG THE SOUNDSTAGE IS AMMMMMMMAAAAAZZINNNGGGG!!!!!!!!! It has got almost double the soundstage of the AKG 701 and the sound of the HD 600, but much more lucid, penatrative, and crystalline. The trebles are exactly what I want them to be, and the bass is just the right amount --- warm, but not muddy. I can only imagine the sound coming out of this with proper amplification and properly working wires.

DT 990 pro

I heard mixed review about this one, my brother says it is too "soft", and some people says it is not very good. It is bigger than what I've thought, but very comfortable nontheless. Listening to the Beethoven symphony, I discovered that the instruments are less separable than the HD 600, everything kind of all jumbled up together. Bass is adequate compare to the ones I heard before, and treble not as clear as the HD 600. However the soundstage is greater than that of the HD 600, considering it it being a third of the HD 600's, I still think this is a good deal.

HE 400

I sampled this one in another store as the B&H doesn't have an opened one. It is not as heavy as people on the Internet described it to be, in fact, it is almost the same as any other headphones for me. The first thing that caught my attention is the bass. It is very different from the other headphones, quite difficult to describe using the "sound dictionary" I have right now. I find the treble very unlikable for the musics I listen to, too low to even call it "treble" in my point of view. The soundstage is quite limited from what I heard, but a little more open than that of the HD 600. All in all, not a headphone for me.

Conclusion

The headphoens I sampled this time are all without proper amplifications, for the source I used is merely a tablet (not to mention wire and DAC, which I have no idea how they affect the sound). I am planning to attend the next head-fi meetup in NY, looking forward to test some other headphone and make my final decision of buying one!

P.S. Please excuse me of any misuse of terminology and point out the areas I can improve on, it is a new field I am stepping in and need quite a lot guidance, thanks very much for reading!

Oh hey cool, I went to this B&H last time I was in NY! It took me a while to realize this was the same B&H that I see online so frequently.

That's an interesting review.
Opposite of what I expected.
Since you're not using a proper source, I expected you to be underwhelmed by the "better" headphones because, if anything you can draw out more from lower end cans then you can from higher end cans with a naked setup. I've always been an advocate that higher end cans always require an equally as nice setup to bring out the full fidelity of the sound and are quite underwhelming when not properly sourced and amped - so it's very nice to hear when somebody says otherwise.

Offline Rena

« Reply #2269 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:29:23 »
I'm noticing many mentions of the HD600 in this thread. How do they compare to the DT-770? Because that's what I use now and I'm really considering getting the HD600 although I don't know if I could justify $350 on another pair of headphones, which is ironic considering how much I've spent on keyboards.

I'm assuming the sound signature is completely different, or something.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #2270 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:46:55 »
I'm noticing many mentions of the HD600 in this thread. How do they compare to the DT-770? Because that's what I use now and I'm really considering getting the HD600 although I don't know if I could justify $350 on another pair of headphones, which is ironic considering how much I've spent on keyboards.

PROBLEM SOLVER! Sell keyboards. Buy headphones. I kid :)

Don't own either but I have the HD598s, a having set of open-canned headphones is refreshing change of pace.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2271 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:51:05 »

im sure pointyfox will tell you how the HD600 are the second coming of w/e god you believe in and will cure world hunger.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #2272 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 18:09:13 »

im sure pointyfox will tell you how the HD600 are the second coming of w/e god you believe in and will cure world hunger.

What about aids?

Offline linziyi

« Reply #2273 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 21:20:04 »
They is fischers!

fenix,

fischer fa-003ti

generally? but it's uhm... much more expensive than a fischer.

:| I got mine for $80 shipping from Australia...
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2274 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 16:06:56 »
Next level travel setup:
Zune 120
Fiio e06
JH5 CIEM

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2275 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 17:18:15 »
Next level travel setup:
Zune 120
Fiio e06
JH5 CIEM

Didn't like anything enough to get over the 06?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2276 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 19:37:29 »
I'm once again thinking about snagging an e17. E11 is a good value but I'm worried about the build quality. But I wanna check out an e12 and other options before I pull the trigger. The e06 will be my trusty sidekick for now XD

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2277 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 20:14:59 »
I'm once again thinking about snagging an e17. E11 is a good value but I'm worried about the build quality. But I wanna check out an e12 and other options before I pull the trigger. The e06 will be my trusty sidekick for now XD

I think, if you like the sound of the zune, you should get an e12

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2278 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 22:18:59 »
Holy giant CPTBadAssEars

YOU HAVE ENORMOUS IEMS!

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 22:34:06 by Binge »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2279 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 01:45:15 »
Next level travel setup:

The Metroid of IEMs

Offline linziyi

« Reply #2280 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 16:50:04 »
So I got a offer for AD900x for $140 shipped, should I buy it or save for DT880 (used)? I only listen to classical music and people says they are quite good for that genre.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2281 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:04:07 »
That's a good price, I'd get them for that.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2282 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 18:00:30 »
I'm hoping this package with a customs charge I'm picking up in the morning is my ATH M50s from Massdrop. Although with the shipping and this BS from HMRC, I haven't actually saved myself any money.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2283 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 15:40:18 »
It was! They are so awesome looking, and thank's to Margo, I have found out that the 45mm jack unscrews to reveal a 3.5mm jack :D super happy!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2284 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:01:56 »
Sorry, I haven't read through this huge thread so I'll just ask directly:

Are the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600ohm good headphones for 240$ or can I get something similar for less? I mainly need headphoes for gaming and listening to some music while browsing the Internet.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/beyerdynamic-dt990?mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Massdrop%20-%20Master&utm_campaign=Product%20Announcement%202014-02-28&utm_content=Final

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2285 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:33:10 »
Add some big bucks for an amp, if you don't have one yet.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2286 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:40:59 »

No, I don't have one. Any recommendations?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2287 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 09:00:00 »
Nope. Maybe someone else would chime in. I'm just pointing out that DT 990 (especially high-impedance) need amplification. For example, HD 5x8 are much easier to drive.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio

Offline linziyi

« Reply #2289 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:54:55 »
I think you can get an used DT990 on headfi for about $170 or less.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2290 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:33:49 »

No, I don't have one. Any recommendations?

Sound Blaster Live Value.  Costs like $0.50 and drives my HD600s just as well as the $600 HEED CanAmp and nearly as well as my $180 Xonar Essense STX card and $900+ improved Earmax Pro.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:36:07 by PointyFox »

Offline delobe

« Reply #2291 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 02:42:50 »
Sennheiser 558, very comfortable. Hifiman RE-400 iems.
de hand, de fingres, de nails, de arma, de bilbow

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2292 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 12:53:42 »
The RE-400 are magical for the price in my opinion.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2293 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:12:25 »
People rockin' the HE-400s: what are you driving them with, if anything?

Offline delobe

« Reply #2294 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:18:22 »
The RE-400 are magical for the price in my opinion.

Very true, even if it is an annoying glimpse into high end. I don't appreciate them enough because I haven't tried other iem's at that price point and beyond. But a solid choice and minimal aluminium construction
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:20:19 by delobe »
de hand, de fingres, de nails, de arma, de bilbow

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2295 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:19:34 »

Schiit vali/modi stack....sounds good, a little sibilant, hella uncomfortable compared to my Beyer DT 990 premium 600ohm.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2296 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:24:21 »

Schiit vali/modi stack....sounds good, a little sibilant, hella uncomfortable compared to my Beyer DT 990 premium 600ohm.

Yeah, they're pretty goddamn heavy and don't really hold a candle to my HD-600s in terms of comfort either.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2297 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:46:21 »

Yeah, they're pretty goddamn heavy and don't really hold a candle to my HD-600s in terms of comfort either.

I've even got the Beyer headband on the HE-400 and it's still crazy uncomfortable.  I'm hoping velour pads will make the HE's a little more like the DT's...but it's probably a lost cause.  Anyways, I'm looking to step-up to some Fostex TH600.  I heard the Denon D700's at B&H in Manhattan a few years back and loved them. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2298 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:45:24 »

woman
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #2299 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 11:03:21 »
I'm so excited.  My Project Ember tube amp comes tomorrow (I'll be pairing with my Mad Dogs), and my Bottlehead Crack comes Tuesday (I'll be pairing with my HD 650's).  I've read that these are both ~10 hour builds, so next week / weekend will be busy!

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless