Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316139 times)

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2350 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:27:45 »
Show Image

My Beoplay H6 headset. I have a Schiit Stack (Magni;Modi) on the way. I have all that posted once they arrive.

How is the comfort and weight with that headset?

So far, they're the most comfortable headphones I've worn. I wear glasses, so I usually need to worry about how the ear cups are going to press against the arms of my glasses, but with these headphones its a non-issue. The ear cups are lamb skin wrapped over memory foam, and the top strap is breathable mesh over more memory foam.

They are also pretty darn light, at 8.11oz (230g). I don't really mind wearing them for long periods of time. They're also great for travel since they're so light, and have inline audio controls.

Poker II

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #2351 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:34:00 »
I am looking into some IEMs recently, only listen to classical music. Price range $100~200 Any suggestions?
Only listen to classical music? Etymotic ER4.

How about HF5, how are they compare to ER4?

They are very comparable; not entirely on the same level in terms of clarity and detail, however they do boast the same sound signature and many people swear by them. They offer amazing isolation, especially once you get used to the triple flange tips; you can try out foam tips like Complys, but you might find it muddies up the sound a bit. One feature the HF5 lacks that I liked on my ER4 is the ability to remove and replace the cable. This was especially nice because the extremely deep insertion of the ER4 has made them rather notorious for microphonic feedback on the cable (rubbing on your shirt and such), though they do come with a shirt clip.

I opted for a softer aftermarket cable and it helped somewhat, but I've heard some say the newer versions have fixed this issue somewhat...not sure about the HF5 but I think it's much less of an issue. The ER4 comes with a couple different impedances I believe. Mine was the ER4B which really required an AMP to shine; playing it straight out my clipzip or ipod just didn't give it enough oomph. I think you'd be fine without one on the HF5.

Hope some of that helps.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2352 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:58:57 »
Show Image

My Beoplay H6 headset. I have a Schiit Stack (Magni;Modi) on the way. I have all that posted once they arrive.

So far, they're the most comfortable headphones I've worn. I wear glasses, so I usually need to worry about how the ear cups are going to press against the arms of my glasses, but with these headphones its a non-issue. The ear cups are lamb skin wrapped over memory foam, and the top strap is breathable mesh over more memory foam.

They are also pretty darn light, at 8.11oz (230g). I don't really mind wearing them for long periods of time. They're also great for travel since they're so light, and have inline audio controls.

That's really not heavy and not light... sort of like that comfortable medium.

I like that you can remove the cable and use it in either ear.  I believe those guys let you link two headphones together.  Is that correct?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2353 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 16:17:38 »
Need a cheap dac to go with a sennheiser hd595, preferably under $75

for the money just spend a little more and grab an odac.

What's the difference? I'm an audiophile noob

the difference in what?  You also need a headphone amplifier to go with your DAC.  DACs produce a line level output and the signal needs to be further amplified.

the odac is not much more expensive than $75 and it has benchmark level performance.  That's why he suggested it to you.  Go do some research.

Hello pacifist. I think you wonderd what the difference between an DAC and an ODAC is. DAC is a digital to analog converter and the ODAC is a product from mayflower electronics consisting of a dac and a headphone amplifier in one box. Sorry if I missinterpreted your answer.

Ah that makes sense

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #2354 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 16:23:02 »
Show Image

That's really not heavy and not light... sort of like that comfortable medium.

I like that you can remove the cable and use it in either ear.  I believe those guys let you link two headphones together.  Is that correct?

That's correct. I'm not sure how far you can chain the headphones, though.
Poker II

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2355 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 16:47:32 »
Today, I got the original Beyerdynamic DT 990 (the model with the old-style headband, made until early 90's). These are the most comfortable cans I've ever used—by far; I can really wear them while not listening, which doesn't happen often otherwise. Build quality is excellent as well. Not that sure about sound signature though. I can't pinpoint anything specific, but still want to pause the music every few songs, because something feels fatiguing about it.

I'm back to AKG K240M for a while. I could listen to them all day long, but they need thicker earpads and foam inside to be actually comfortable. Or maybe go back to senns... First-world problems.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2356 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 17:17:56 »
I am looking into some IEMs recently, only listen to classical music. Price range $100~200 Any suggestions?
Only listen to classical music? Etymotic ER4.

How about HF5, how are they compare to ER4?

They are very comparable; not entirely on the same level in terms of clarity and detail, however they do boast the same sound signature and many people swear by them. They offer amazing isolation, especially once you get used to the triple flange tips; you can try out foam tips like Complys, but you might find it muddies up the sound a bit. One feature the HF5 lacks that I liked on my ER4 is the ability to remove and replace the cable. This was especially nice because the extremely deep insertion of the ER4 has made them rather notorious for microphonic feedback on the cable (rubbing on your shirt and such), though they do come with a shirt clip.

I opted for a softer aftermarket cable and it helped somewhat, but I've heard some say the newer versions have fixed this issue somewhat...not sure about the HF5 but I think it's much less of an issue. The ER4 comes with a couple different impedances I believe. Mine was the ER4B which really required an AMP to shine; playing it straight out my clipzip or ipod just didn't give it enough oomph. I think you'd be fine without one on the HF5.

Hope some of that helps.

Thank you very much! I bought a pair of used hf5, very eager to see what they can offer!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #2357 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 20:04:56 »

Thank you very much! I bought a pair of used hf5, very eager to see what they can offer!
Awesome, don't be afraid to lodge them deep into your ear canals. Etymotic even has an instructional on proper insertion. Lots of people will say they hate them at first because they didn't get a proper seal. It will be uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it.

Offline linziyi

« Reply #2358 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 21:58:56 »

Awesome, don't be afraid to lodge them deep into your ear canals. Etymotic even has an instructional on proper insertion. Lots of people will say they hate them at first because they didn't get a proper seal. It will be uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it.

How much an upgrade would you say is from HF5 to ER4? I read that ER4S and ER4P are very different in terms of sound signature.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #2359 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 22:18:27 »

How much an upgrade would you say is from HF5 to ER4? I read that ER4S and ER4P are very different in terms of sound signature.

I can't give you much advice on that because it has been a long time since I owned the ER4, and I only briefly listened to an HF5. However, planx wrote up a pretty good comparison of the two over on head-fi.org here.

Offline Sorun

• Chitos
« Reply #2360 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 00:58:00 »
Using HD 598s currently, hoping to upgrade to HD 600s or AKG k712 one of these days.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #2361 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:00:47 »
Question: best bluetooth earbuds for under 100$, recommendation anyone?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #2362 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:44:51 »
Nothing too fancy like you guys, but I finally got my Audio Technica ATH-AD900X! Compared to my ATH-A900X, the openness is so airy. Love it! Only other pair of open headphones I had to compare was my Koss Ksc75. Now to burn them in slowly and over time :)

Will upload photos when opportunity arises.

Please take photos and don't claim burn-in exists!  If anything it's mentally adjusting to the headphones.

Sorry it took so long but I only got back home two days ago :D As promised:

I love how you can see inside, and the chrome finish!

My Audio Technica family! ATH-AD900X, ATH-A900X, and ATH-M50  :cool:

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2363 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:50:32 »
got my 595's today, open back headphones are so different

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #2364 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:58:22 »
got my 595's today, open back headphones are so different

Do they feel more "airy"? Better sound stage?

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

Offline feizor

« Reply #2365 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:04:56 »

I can't give you much advice on that because it has been a long time since I owned the ER4, and I only briefly listened to an HF5. However, planx wrote up a pretty good comparison of the two over on head-fi.org here.

If they come with foam ear tips, I would suggest those instead of the rubber/silicone ones. Makes a big difference.

Offline linziyi

« Reply #2366 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:38:02 »
Nothing too fancy like you guys, but I finally got my Audio Technica ATH-AD900X! Compared to my ATH-A900X, the openness is so airy. Love it! Only other pair of open headphones I had to compare was my Koss Ksc75. Now to burn them in slowly and over time :)

Please take photos and don't claim burn-in exists!  If anything it's mentally adjusting to the headphones.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

My brother also has the ATH-AD900x! They are very laid-back, but exceptional on vocal representation!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #2367 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:14:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

My brother also has the ATH-AD900x! They are very laid-back, but exceptional on vocal representation!

Yeah! They are definitely an easy pair to listen to!!! I like it for that very reason. However the highs can be quite intense, but that's the point and character of these, which I love because I listen to mainly female vocals! Also, the famous airnessy of these pair are loveable. Not only are they significantly lighter than my A900X's, but the ventilation makes it so much more cool and comfortable... I get very annoyed at getting sweaty inside closed pairs, and sweating on pleather. However, I don't find myself getting hot in these at all, and the fabric is so soft and dry <3
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:15:51 by VesperSAINT »

Offline nar

« Reply #2368 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 22:53:38 »
I upgraded my Alessandro MS-1 to the modded MS-1000. I have to say the improvement is absolutely amazing. The sound signature has mellowed out even more from the characteristic grado and it works for practically any type of music. I've gone from Hardcore to Rock to Trance to Classical to Pop to a gentle Piano Ballard without any problem. And the soundstage is amazing, I've never heard a soundstage this big before from any headphones.

Highly recommend anyone who has one to do the mod (I've heard applying the same mod to the MS-Pro puts it on the same class as the most expensive high end headphones as well). Fundamentally it's putting a distancer on the drivers and replacing the pads with the large GS1000 pads. There's quite a few details on how to make the distancer though so I just 3D printed it with all the necessary holes and measurements.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #2369 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 00:14:42 »
I upgraded my Alessandro MS-1 to the modded MS-1000. I have to say the improvement is absolutely amazing. The sound signature has mellowed out even more from the characteristic grado and it works for practically any type of music. I've gone from Hardcore to Rock to Trance to Classical to Pop to a gentle Piano Ballard without any problem. And the soundstage is amazing, I've never heard a soundstage this big before from any headphones.

Highly recommend anyone who has one to do the mod (I've heard applying the same mod to the MS-Pro puts it on the same class as the most expensive high end headphones as well). Fundamentally it's putting a distancer on the drivers and replacing the pads with the large GS1000 pads. There's quite a few details on how to make the distancer though so I just 3D printed it with all the necessary holes and measurements.

The Alessandro MS-1s are my favorite headphones of all time.

I just really hate the Grado construction!

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2370 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:48:06 »
Hey guys, new to GH, but have been lurking for a while. Here is my modest audiophile set up:
Beyer Dt990 Pro with an Aune T1 with a few tubes

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2371 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 02:23:58 »

Have you tried L-cushion or even G-cushion, and a beyerish headband wrap?

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #2372 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 02:59:44 »

Have you tried L-cushion or even G-cushion, and a beyerish headband wrap?

I don't mean the comfort. I know the comfort can be adjusted with modifications.

The problem is the construction. The rod on my MS1s came out of the cup holder randomly one day. The original headband on the lower end models is VINYL with a small metal thing underneath.

Compare the construction to a Sennheiser HD515 and you can see which one is sturdier.

I'll admit though, the sound of Grado headphones are still worth EVERY penny.

I would say other headphones are worth 60-70 sound and rest is the quality.

Grado are worth 90-95% just for the sound. Nothing beats them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2373 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 03:18:38 »
I don't think I've ever had any issues with my SR60, other than twisted cable, where it enters the cans. That's easily solved by detacheable cable mod though. The headband is rather uncomfortable by default, but again, no problem with the cushion wrap, and then it's easy to add something to make it sturdier as well. Not sure about the rods though—my 5-year-old pair is like new and very solid in this regard.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2374 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 12:14:02 »
I don't think I've ever had any issues with my SR60, other than twisted cable, where it enters the cans. That's easily solved by detacheable cable mod though. The headband is rather uncomfortable by default, but again, no problem with the cushion wrap, and then it's easy to add something to make it sturdier as well. Not sure about the rods though—my 5-year-old pair is like new and very solid in this regard.

I also own a pair of Grado sr60's, and have noticed a big difference after modding them a bit. There are quite a few webpages that show you how to improve the sound a bit if you are interested. They are fairly straightforward mods to do.

Here is mine, which I added some holes to the driver (Drops the treble a bit, increases the bass), added some dampening material next to the driver (helps with bass), replaced the grills (cosmetic/broke the old ones), and put a hole on the inside of the cushion. I don't use them much anymore, now that I have the DT990s, which I much prefer in almost every way.

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #2375 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:08:19 »

Still, I'm talking about the downfalls of the product out of the box. Anything can be modified to become sturdier.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2376 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:33:54 »
And the point is...? If you're trying to claim that grados are poor quality, I can't do anything but agree to disagree, because I don't see it other than the inconvenient cable. Comfort is a different story, and a matter of personal preference—for example, grados feel almost better than the ATH-AD* design (often recommended for superior comfort) on my head.

Besides, I use the cushion wrap with plenty of headphones (especially old senns), because the original cushion often disintegrates and sometimes replacements aren't available anymore.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #2377 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 19:06:44 »
a matter of personal preference—for example, grados feel almost better than the ATH-AD* design (often recommended for superior comfort) on my head.

I can definitely understand this point. The Audio Technica wing support was designed for larger and rounder head shapes (luckily I'm an Asian with a big head LOL). I can only imagine this system being loose and large on smaller and thinner heads.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2378 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 19:22:15 »
Actually, it's okay with the fit&comfort mod. Otherwise, I get barely any seal at the temples, but my ears still get very hot.

I'm weird though. I like tight headphones like HD 25 and I didn't mind DT770M either.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #2379 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 19:36:20 »
Actually, it's okay with the fit&comfort mod. Otherwise, I get barely any seal at the temples, but my ears still get very hot.

I'm weird though. I like tight headphones like HD 25 and I didn't mind DT770M either.

Ah true. Yeah, I can't do very tight bands because I have large ears and head so it just starts hurting all over and getting hot :P As long as I get a good seal, I prefer as loose as possible, as long as it's not moving around when I turn my head.

Offline linziyi

« Reply #2380 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:06:12 »
Hmm.... I think the AD900x is very very confortable as it is. One thing I don't like is the two "bands" that goes on top of your head is a bit too loose, feels like the headphone is always dropping down.

It's my only pair of open headphones. While having a decent sound stage (after heaing the HD800 and the SR900 in a meet my standard is sky-high), the sound signature is a bit too "lazy" or "laid-back" for me, a bit muddy in the mids and bass... Vocal is amazing but "mechanical" sound effects like swords clashing or bullet hitting walls is not so great. I think it is regarded as one of the best phones for classical music, but personally I am more clined towards a very, very detailed sound.

Expecting a Etymotic HF5 IEM in the following week, it is praised for its isolation and detailed sound, can't wait to try it!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline Broduce

« Reply #2381 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:12:24 »
I've recently moved to CIEMs on the go, and high end speakers for the desk. I think I'm going to sell all my headphones, never really liked wearing them anyway. HD-650, HD800, HE-500, and some Mad Dogs. They were nice while they lasted, but speakers are just so much more convenient and my head doesn't get hot in this summer heat. And when it's cold, I can wear my hood :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2382 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:48:06 »
I've recently moved to CIEMs on the go, and high end speakers for the desk. I think I'm going to sell all my headphones, never really liked wearing them anyway. HD-650, HD800, HE-500, and some Mad Dogs. They were nice while they lasted, but speakers are just so much more convenient and my head doesn't get hot in this summer heat. And when it's cold, I can wear my hood :)

I use my speakers a lot when I am home alone, but with a lot of people around the place I prefer my headphones so everyone doesn't have to hear what I am blasting.

Offline Broduce

« Reply #2383 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:56:42 »
Yeah for sure. I prefer to live alone, currently in a small studio, but if I lived with others I would use headphones.

Can't beat the presentation and feeling of speakers though...truly fantastic.

Offline mauri

« Reply #2384 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 11:54:29 »
a matter of personal preference—for example, grados feel almost better than the ATH-AD* design (often recommended for superior comfort) on my head.

I can definitely understand this point. The Audio Technica wing support was designed for larger and rounder head shapes (luckily I'm an Asian with a big head LOL). I can only imagine this system being loose and large on smaller and thinner heads.

My sr-60s are a ****ton more comfortable than my akg 701s, my scalp has literally molded to the shape of the headband.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #2385 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 02:02:57 »

My sr-60s are a ****ton more comfortable than my akg 701s, my scalp has literally molded to the shape of the headband.

Aren't the AKG 702's infamous for discomfort? I heard the bumps cause pain after time.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 02:04:49 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2386 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 09:07:52 »
The new Akg K712 and the K702 65th anniversary do not have the headband bumps.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2387 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 15:55:38 »
I hope you don't mind someone asking for suggestions. It's pretty difficult to do a search since it seems like such a subjective area.

Anyways, I'm considering purchasing some new headphones to go with my recently purchased Schiit Magni/Modi. I primarily listen to EDM but listen to other genres. Female vocals are also nice from time to time. Comfort is also very important. Any suggestions?

Edit: I don't want open headphones. I'll be in a dorm and don't want to bother others or let them hear what I am listening too :P I guess it might be ok if they are not too "open". Also I don't think I want to go for ear buds / IEM's - just normal over ear headphones. They will just be used at my computer so they don't need to be extra portable or anything.

Preferable price range is around $100, but a little pricier is alright.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 16:16:33 by Smasher816 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2388 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 15:59:19 »
I hope you don't mind someone asking for suggestions. It's pretty difficult to do a search since it seems like such a subjective area.

Anyways, I'm considering purchasing some new headphones to go with my recently purchased Schiit Magni/Modi. I primarily listen to EDM but listen to other genres. Female vocals are also nice from time to time. Comfort is also very important. Any suggestions?

Price range?

I like the k712 pros I finally settled on for over-ear listening, but so far, my favorites have been my CIEMs and LCD-2s.  the hifiman he-400/500s are good and if you can still find them, should be a great economic get for what they do.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2389 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 16:09:50 »

I got my DT990s for $140 off of Amazon, and I love them. Super comfortable (velour pads), and sound amazing! I primarily listen to edm, and other electronic music and they are great. We need the price range, and are you wanting to use them only on your computer or outside too?

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2390 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 16:17:02 »
I edited my post. Hope that helps.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2391 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 16:23:19 »
A modi/magni is a bit of a waste if you are only wanting to spend around $100. I would save up a bit more if you can.. It would have been a bit better to spend $300 on headphones instead most likely. The reason being, most cheaper headphones are easier to run, so you likely don't need an Amp, and a DAC makes a very minor difference, so I would put this at the end of the spectrum of things to buy that make a difference. (Headphones > Amp > Music Quality > DAC)

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2392 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 17:22:01 »
That is a fair point. I will say that getting a DAC+amp removed the annoying audio issues my soundcard and onboard had.

I do have a bit of spare cash so 300 is doable. I'm open to suggestions if you really think they are worth it :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2393 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 19:24:02 »
That is a fair point. I will say that getting a DAC+amp removed the annoying audio issues my soundcard and onboard had.

I do have a bit of spare cash so 300 is doable. I'm open to suggestions if you really think they are worth it :)

Beyerdynamic Dt770s, MrSpeakers MadDogs, are a few. I am drawing a bit of a blank unfortunately.  Check out, and post in the weekly buying advice thread. Just post all of your info that you can think of, and they will help you out. :) http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2394 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 20:57:27 »

Beyerdynamic Dt770s, MrSpeakers MadDogs, are a few. I am drawing a bit of a blank unfortunately.  Check out, and post in the weekly buying advice thread. Just post all of your info that you can think of, and they will help you out. :) http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones

Thanks for the advice byker. :thumb:

The Beyerdynamic's look great. I saw some people post pictures of them and thought they looked super comfy but assumed they were only open eared. I think I might have to get those if I don't find anything else. I'll be sure to check out the subreddit.

Quick question: Am I correct in saying that the higher ohm versions will allow me to use more of the amp's volume knob? I believe they require more power to get the same volume and that is why they are difficult to drive from phones and other portable devices. Right now my 45Ohm headphones get really loud really quick. So I use fine turning.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 21:00:19 by Smasher816 »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2395 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 23:03:02 »

Thanks for the advice byker. :thumb:

The Beyerdynamic's look great. I saw some people post pictures of them and thought they looked super comfy but assumed they were only open eared. I think I might have to get those if I don't find anything else. I'll be sure to check out the subreddit.

Quick question: Am I correct in saying that the higher ohm versions will allow me to use more of the amp's volume knob? I believe they require more power to get the same volume and that is why they are difficult to drive from phones and other portable devices. Right now my 45Ohm headphones get really loud really quick. So I use fine turning.

Yeah no problem, I am not super knowledgeable, but I did do some research before buying my own setup, and still follow that subreddit. The DT770s are closed, the 880s are partially open, and the 990s are fully open! Yes your amp provides more power, so high ampage headphones will require a better amp. The 80Ohm DTs can run fine on your phone, etc, but the 250 and 600 will require a bit more of an amp. I have the 250ohm DT990s, and they do run straight from my phone/comp, but are very quiet and do sound a lot better with my Aune T1.

I would look around a bit more before you settle with the DT770s, but from the look of them you cannot go wrong. I am thinking about getting a pair for around town..

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #2396 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 17:09:33 »
Ehm I´m buying headphones and what do you think is the best pair of headphones for 200$ish?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2397 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 17:39:55 »
It depends... (open/closed? expected use? source? ...?) Go to a hifi store and give various cans a listen. In the end, it's all about personal preference.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2398 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 12:01:34 »
Open headphones are amazing. Sounds sound so real and its screwing with my head a lot

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #2399 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 12:07:15 »
Open headphones are amazing. Sounds sound so real and its screwing with my head a lot

Yeah, crazy how it feels like sound fills the room.