Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316185 times)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2550 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 08:01:54 »

NAD HP50
Focal Spirit One S
Focal Spirit Professional

All in the 200 - 300 range.

Wasn't a fan of the focal headphones but the HP50 is a beast for the price!
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips!  I've seen the Focal headphones but never had a chance to listen to them.  Looks like there's at least one retailer in the area that has them in stock.  I wasn't aware NAD made headphones, but I've been a fan of their hifi gear for years. 

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #2551 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 08:04:28 »
I've been following this thread off and on for a while, wanted to see what people are recommending lately for close-back headphones?  I have the Mad Dogs at home, and I think they are superb for movies and gaming, but a bit bulky to schlep back and forth to work.  Currently at work I listen to music using ATH-M50s driven by a Little Dot  amp (and a Fiio for DAC), which were a nice upgrade when I got them, but now I'd like to try something different. 

Looking at closed-back to block out some background noise in the office (and to keep from over-sharing...).  I've tried the HD598s, which were really comfortable but were also quite transparent to background chatter.  I'm not a fan of headphones that accentuate upper ranges, as I find sibilance really annoying.  Also not looking for artificially boosted bass, from the headphones I've tried I tend to like a flatter response, it sounds more natural to my ears.

Any low- to mid-priced recommendations?

IEMS.  Never heard a closed-back headphone I liked.  The ViSang IEMs are nice.  I had a ViSang R02 that I got for $23 shipped that sounds equivalent to like $250 headphones.

I've tried various brands of noise-isolating IEMs, haven't found many that I liked.  But that's a price-point that's hard to pass up!

Offline sobe

« Reply #2552 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 20:40:09 »
Beyer DT990 600ohm, Creative Aurvana Live!, and Sennie HD600 are my primary sets for the time being. House fire took out my Beyer T90 and WooAudio WA7 Fireflies :(

Cannot speak highly enough about any of the 3 I still have though, hopefully in the future I can pick up a pair of Sennie HD800 and a proper amp to match it.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #2553 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 21:23:40 »
Beyer DT990 600ohm, Creative Aurvana Live!, and Sennie HD600 are my primary sets for the time being. House fire took out my Beyer T90 and WooAudio WA7 Fireflies :(

Cannot speak highly enough about any of the 3 I still have though, hopefully in the future I can pick up a pair of Sennie HD800 and a proper amp to match it.

Amp matching cvan be hard! Though my favorite setup with the HD800 was the ipod digital out to Cypher labs algorhythm solo (first version) with O2 amp and HD800.
The treble was splendid and extremely well extended. Sounded liquidy and golden while keeping the high resolution hd800 sound that they're known for.

Though I've never tried it with >2k amps (some of which I keep getting told work extremely well with the HD800)

Though lately I've been liking the TH900 a lot but I find they need a bit of EQ.

Anyway, good luck on the audio journey to finding what pleases you most!

Offline sobe

« Reply #2554 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 22:29:36 »
Yea, I would have loved to have heard them on my WooAudio WA7 for testing, but from my research prior have pointed me to the Eddie Current Balancing Act, DNA Stratus, and of course the Liquid Glass.

Don't have the money atm to jump through another expensive pair of cans, much less another pricey amp. I kinda figured the $1,000 spent for the WA7 was going to be my "sweet spot" of where I was staying with amp.... But apparently the house wiring said no to that (unrelated to the amp :P )

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2555 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 23:18:23 »
Yea, I would have loved to have heard them on my WooAudio WA7 for testing, but from my research prior have pointed me to the Eddie Current Balancing Act, DNA Stratus, and of course the Liquid Glass.

Don't have the money atm to jump through another expensive pair of cans, much less another pricey amp. I kinda figured the $1,000 spent for the WA7 was going to be my "sweet spot" of where I was staying with amp.... But apparently the house wiring said no to that (unrelated to the amp :P )

Actually I very much detested the WA7 fireflies with almost everything I tried it with. It's very harsh in the treble ...

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2556 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 23:48:03 »

Now you can get an oppo ha-1 instead.

Offline sobe

« Reply #2557 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 23:48:34 »

Actually I very much detested the WA7 fireflies with almost everything I tried it with. It's very harsh in the treble ...

They seemed to mate well with my Beyer T90's as a match made in heaven :P

Now you can get an oppo ha-1 instead.

We'll see how soon it is before I repurchase those T90's or wait further for the HD800's.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 October 2014, 23:50:45 by sobe »

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #2558 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 18:10:48 »
no love for the bose sound true over ears ? =(
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2559 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 21:05:09 »
Just got my Yuin PK3 from massdrop. Especially for the price, they have pretty solid sound
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Matter

« Reply #2560 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 06:02:23 »
You guys need to try the Earsonics S-EM6.

Its incredible!

Currently using it and have tried most if not all of Earsonics line and I can say this is the best to date with its clarity and 3d imaging wise.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2561 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 14:37:17 »
Started listening to my Se535s a lot since I have gotten them. Simply amazing!  :p

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2562 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 17:01:16 »
Started listening to my Se535s a lot since I have gotten them. Simply amazing!  :p

All the sibilance though T.T

Though I'll admit those mids... Damn those mids. I still miss them

On the upside I'll hopefully be grabbing myself a pair of the to be released Noble K10 universal

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2563 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 17:15:50 »

On the upside I'll hopefully be grabbing myself a pair of the to be released Noble K10 universal

Yeah the sibilance does catch me off guard sometimes.. But the mids and lows are amazing! (In my experience :P)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2564 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 18:09:13 »

Yeah the sibilance does catch me off guard sometimes.. But the mids and lows are amazing! (In my experience :P)

If it wasn't for the sibilance I'd still have a pair of 535s in my inventory. Unfortunately the next step up (where this is addressed as well as adding more extension to both ends) is the 846 at $900 which is triple the price.

Not to mention the 846 didn't fit well in my ears.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2565 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 19:03:47 »

If it wasn't for the sibilance I'd still have a pair of 535s in my inventory. Unfortunately the next step up (where this is addressed as well as adding more extension to both ends) is the 846 at $900 which is triple the price.

Not to mention the 846 didn't fit well in my ears.

Yeah, the 535s weren't really on my radar, but I managed to grab them at a killer price. For what I want they will definitely do the trick! :P

Offline sobe

« Reply #2566 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:42:49 »
no love for the bose sound true over ears ? =(

Only Bose that I've seen worth anything was the QC15. But I'd rather have a pair of CAL! or NVX XPT100 for less than half the cost.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2567 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:15:26 »
Bought some cheap af Yuin PK3 off massdrop, sound was fine but hated they weren't in ear, so i got in on the ostry KC06A drop. It may not seem like much to you guys, but those are probably the most expensive headphones I have (besides my Siberias :p)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2568 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:19:06 »
Bought some cheap af Yuin PK3 off massdrop, sound was fine but hated they weren't in ear, so i got in on the ostry KC06A drop. It may not seem like much to you guys, but those are probably the most expensive headphones I have (besides my Siberias :p)

woody, come up to harrisburg area and I'll give you a tour of some sweet cans. :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2569 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:24:29 »

woody, come up to harrisburg area and I'll give you a tour of some sweet cans. :)
The trek in search of high fidelity

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2570 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:33:35 »

To boldly go where no other ears have gone. xD

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2571 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:46:13 »

I might even buy a headphone amp, I'm feeling crazy :p. Just make sure to bring some sound stuff to keycon east so i can have another hobby to throw money at
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 23:03:56 by hwood34 »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2572 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 23:20:30 »

I might even buy a headphone amp, I'm feeling crazy :p. Just make sure to bring some sound stuff to keycon east so i can have another hobby to throw money at

Money and keyboards go hand in hand!  :p

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2573 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 23:21:15 »

But you need to get open backed headphones otherwise you won't get the audible feedback!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2574 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 23:21:39 »

But you need to get open backed headphones otherwise you won't get the audible feedback!

Don't you mean a variety of headphones??  ;)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2575 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 23:44:13 »

Don't you mean a variety of headphones??  ;)

True true. You need at least the Sony R10, Stax sr009 and HD800.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2576 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:12:46 »
What collection is complete without some Floats, right?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2577 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:38:16 »
What collection is complete without some Floats, right?

I need some more float in my life

Who can say no to such sexiness

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2578 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 01:39:30 »
Just found this thread  ;D I am a regular over at headfi but would love to join the conversation here too! Anyone care to update me on current topics?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2579 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 02:10:43 »
The topic is really whatever you please! What kind of headphones do you have, and what you have bought recently are the main things I would say.

What do you listen through rk?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2580 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 05:51:58 »
Just found this thread  ;D I am a regular over at headfi but would love to join the conversation here too! Anyone care to update me on current topics?

The topic right now is about what are must have headphones in an almost budget less collection?

We're saying the jecklin floats pictures above

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2581 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 11:15:45 »
The topic is really whatever you please! What kind of headphones do you have, and what you have bought recently are the main things I would say.

What do you listen through rk?

Well currently I have the HD598s and the beyer T90s. I actually recently sold my odac, vali, asgard 2, and sys preamp to buy the centrance dacmini on massdrop. I am still waiting for it in the mail though.. Previously though I also had the DT770s and am currently looking for a new closed back headphone  :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2582 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 11:35:34 »
Would anone here recommend the Grado SR80e?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2583 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 11:42:08 »
I have the grado sr80i and if they're anything like the e,  I'd be into them

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2584 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 12:42:44 »
Love&hate thing. Try some grados first to get some idea about the signature; I like them for certain genres like death metal. Beware that comfort is awful for most people though. L-cushion ear pads and beyerish cushion headband wrap help tremendously. Also, I consider detacheable cable mod pretty much necessary, because cans rotate freely and tend to twist the cable.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2585 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 13:15:34 »

I am not a big fan of my Grado 80s, I modded them a bit and improved the sound, but the overall signatures is very high, and they are extremely uncomfortable. After moving on to my DT990s, I have never worn them again!  :p

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2586 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:20:20 »

Dey a'iight for rock/metal.  IF you're ok with an on-ear headphone, like rock/metal more than anything else and can risk discomfort, get them.  They're inexpensive and resell well.

If no to any of those, look at something like the ath-m50, creative aurvana live! or t50rp.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2587 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:16:07 »

Dey a'iight for rock/metal.  IF you're ok with an on-ear headphone, like rock/metal more than anything else and can risk discomfort, get them.  They're inexpensive and resell well.

If no to any of those, look at something like the ath-m50, creative aurvana live! or t50rp.

T50rp requires mods (though with mods you can get some really solid results and through mods have it more tuned to your tastes) =[

Koss KSC75 is an amazing piece and I can't believe they don't use these drivers for other things.

Grado is love and hate as stated above. Very unique signature which tends to emphasize a lot of frequencies around rock so they come alive more. I'm generally okay with the grado sound for lower end especially but they're uncomfortable for me.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2588 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:50:51 »
Also looking at the DT 990's, but one of the comm on things I saw in reviews was a bit needing the right amp?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2589 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:55:04 »
Also looking at the DT 990's, but one of the comm on things I saw in reviews was a bit needing the right amp?

Depends on which version you get.  What's the budget you're wanting to be in?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2590 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:05:04 »
It depends on what version you'd get. I have the vintage 600Ω (modern DT880 is based on it) and it's obviously very different from the modern 32Ω.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2591 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:23:49 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2592 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 19:42:35 »
If you're willing to spend up to $250, look at the focal spirit professional/classic, nad hp50, akg k545/550 and hd558, too.

Also, if it's what you like the sound of, you could find hd600/650 used in that range, too. 

I guess you're looking specifically for open headphones?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2593 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 20:26:37 »
If you're willing to spend up to $250, look at the focal spirit professional/classic, nad hp50, akg k545/550 and hd558, too.

Also, if it's what you like the sound of, you could find hd600/650 used in that range, too. 

well, at this point I'm just kinda looking around at a bunch of different headphones. My price range is around the low $200s. Since I'm gonna be using them home mostly, noise isolation isn't really important for me so yeah open would be best. I mostly listen to metal, which leads me to grados, but I also listen to a little rap and electronic. Also could use some recommendations on amps. I was looking at these: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/musiland-monitor-02us-dragon-dac-amp?s=amp

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2594 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 20:35:11 »

well, at this point I'm just kinda looking around at a bunch of different headphones. My price range is around the low $200s. Since I'm gonna be using them home mostly, noise isolation isn't really important for me so yeah open would be best. I mostly listen to metal, which leads me to grados, but I also listen to a little rap and electronic. Also could use some recommendations on amps. I was looking at these: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/musiland-monitor-02us-dragon-dac-amp?s=amp

You might like a modded pair of t50rp, then.  I have a pair I'm thinking about selling if you want to hear more about them.  I have a pair of modded k712pro, too, but I don't think they're the best with rock/rap/electronic

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2595 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 20:36:04 »
I highly recommend the Schiit Magni and Vali in terms of amps hwood34.

I know it's a potato but I'm fairly sure my new audio setup is doing it right.

Sony Walkman -> Fiio e06 -> JHAudio JH5 CIEMs.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2596 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 20:45:09 »

rip in peace

and a recording set up for fun

fact: googly eyes add to the fidelity of the interface
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 21:06:51 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline sobe

« Reply #2597 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 20:59:08 »

DT990's are some of my favorites, especially for gaming/allaround pc use :)

You just have to understand that the highs can be a bit harsh for some people, I say some loosely though.

I've mated the 990 600ohm with Schiit Magni/Modi stack without issue which brought them out a bit compared to the amp on the sound card. I really enjoyed them when testing with the WooAudio WA7 as well.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2598 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:10:35 »
Hi guys, hopefully someone can give me some help as you lot seem to be massively into your audio setups!

I have some Sennheiser HD555's and PC350SE's that I use (mainly the PC350SE's as I am generally gaming a lot). Would an amp/DAC be something I should think about buying to get the most out of these cans or is it not really going to make a vast difference?

I would like to enhance my audio experience but if a dac/amp isn't going to really do much, then I guess new higher end cans is where I should be looking to invest?

Cheers in advance :)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2599 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 09:44:10 »
With the headphones you are using you would benefit from an amp and dac but I would say only slightly but either way in most cases a separate external amp and dac will help.

What amp/dac you pair your headphones with does matter since some combos just work well with each other, which could help with things like clarity and soundstage.

But my suggestion would be to research and amp/dac combo that could work for a lot of headphones so that when you upgrade(if you ever do) you will be able to enhance your experience.

I mean it also depends on how much you are trying to spend.

Something like the Schiit stack and the o2 combo are good starting points both being around $200-$250 new.