Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316161 times)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2800 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 11:01:32 »
As I'd said, I'm not a fan of the AKG signature sound and I'm somewhat of a Sennheiser fanboy. I feel sorry for those wanting the AKG on massdrop to be shipped internationally, hopefully, there'd be other great cans on massdrop.

For the price it's hard to beat AKG if you can't afford the hd800 xP

I just got the k551 in the mail and it's more or less what I expected. Very neutral sound with spacing. Maybe lacking some emphasis in the bass but I'll see if I can EQ that a few points upwards.

Maybe some pictures and impressions with a review to follow since I've been itching to review something audio related properly xD

Just a question, do people like video or written reviews? (Or a combination or no preference?)

Offline mauri

« Reply #2801 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 12:31:58 »
I have posted this over at head fi but thought I would post it here also

Some have said replacing the Q701 ear pads with the K712/K702 Anniversary ear pads results in better sound.
I have just received a quote from akg/harmon usa for them and a headband from the k702.

Here is the info from AKG

5021871                $47.55 each pad                 CUSHION, K 712,K702_Anniversary
2458M98030       $73.59EA              Black inner headband for the K702 without the nubs/bumps/etc with the blue stitching.

Contact marlon.gonzalez@harman.com if you want to order these.

**** that, assimilate or die. These grooves on my scalp will probably never fade away
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2802 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 12:59:30 »
As I'd said, I'm not a fan of the AKG signature sound and I'm somewhat of a Sennheiser fanboy. I feel sorry for those wanting the AKG on massdrop to be shipped internationally, hopefully, there'd be other great cans on massdrop.

I just got the k551 in the mail and it's more or less what I expected. Very neutral sound with spacing. Maybe lacking some emphasis in the bass but I'll see if I can EQ that a few points upwards.

Maybe some pictures and impressions with a review to follow since I've been itching to review something audio related properly xD

Just a question, do people like video or written reviews? (Or a combination or no preference?)

HD600.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #2803 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 13:40:16 »
Anybody use the Sennheiser CX 300?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2804 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:12:39 »
Gosh, if the ear pads for the Anni cost about 48USD, I'd hate to think how much the replacement pads for my HD800 would cost. :eek:
they are 48 each so 96 total. they are sold as 1 piece.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2805 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:42:16 »
I am kinda glad I backed out of the K7XX anyway as they won't be that different. I was in the first 200 when I initially got in on the drop, so going by that message from Massdrop I would have been able to get them. I see what you are saying with the K8XX though. I have friends who live in the US so I will probably ask them if I can ship to theirs and them just bring them with them when they come back to the UK as they are back fairly frequently anyway. Thanks for the info though  :thumb:

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #2806 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:59:38 »

HD600.

+1

The only AKGs that come close are the K712.
              Waiting on / GMK LED Keycaps

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2807 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 18:36:08 »

HD600.

Didn't like it nearly as much last time I tried it, though I never owned it

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2808 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 00:04:26 »

I like to watch videos of the reviews personally but I hate when people throw in 3-5 minutes of bull before they get to the meat of the review.
Most reviewers also do not go into actually zooming in close enough on the product to show the actual quality/build.
They have the camera zoomed way out and are afraid to show us the earpads, drivers, headbands, adjustment of the fit, etc.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2809 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 00:16:36 »

I like to watch videos of the reviews personally but I hate when people throw in 3-5 minutes of bull before they get to the meat of the review.
Most reviewers also do not go into actually zooming in close enough on the product to show the actual quality/build.
They have the camera zoomed way out and are afraid to show us the earpads, drivers, headbands, adjustment of the fit, etc.

ah I love going close up! I have a macro lens specifically for that!

A lot of my real life friends are pushing me to make video reviews so I might try my hand at that so more feedback about what people like to see in these reviews would be great.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2810 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 12:48:21 »
For people in the US, Amazon is selling the HD598s for $99. An absolute steal...

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2811 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:24:17 »
For people in the US, Amazon is selling the HD598s for $99. An absolute steal...

Freaking lightning sales...

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2812 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:26:50 »

Does that deal answer your question on what pair of headphones your getting next tj?  :p

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2813 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:30:46 »

Does that deal answer your question on what pair of headphones your getting next tj?  :p

I grabbed a pair of used ma900, but can't pass up good senns for $100.  The problem, however, is that the deal has sold out twice now.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2814 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 19:54:05 »
Got my Beyers in the post today ;D

The collection is coming along nicely. I think I will probably be going in to more expensive cans after this though...Will there really be a discernible difference in audio quality from say my AKG Q701's to something like the AK K812 / HD700/800 / Beyer T1's etc?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2815 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 19:56:15 »
Just heard from the seller, seems he's available today to deal, so I'll be back later with a pic or two of the Fostex HP-A4 headphone DAC/AMP. This unit is capable of DSD64 2.8mhz/DSD128 5.6mhz (my iFi Micro iDSD ca do DSD512 I believe). I got it because it is being sold at a very good price and DSD support is a big deal for me since I've amassed 1.4TB of DSD64 files....thousands of DSD64 songs to listen to!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2816 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 20:03:28 »

The collection is coming along nicely. I think I will probably be going in to more expensive cans after this though...Will there really be a discernible difference in audio quality from say my AKG Q701's to something like the AK K812 / HD700/800 / Beyer T1's etc?

Just be careful haha. What is in your collection now? You may just want to stop buying lo-fi and mid fi and just sell them off for one TOTL.

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #2817 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 21:59:25 »
Will there really be a discernible difference in audio quality from say my AKG Q701's to something like the AK K812 / HD700/800 / Beyer T1's etc?

They're all a definite step up from the Q701, although I'd skip on the HD700 and the K812.

Just bear in mind that as soon as you cross into >$500 territory the rate of diminishing returns kicks in hard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 22:03:11 by Hucifer »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2818 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 23:23:29 »
Will there really be a discernible difference in audio quality from say my AKG Q701's to something like the AK K812 / HD700/800 / Beyer T1's etc?

They're all a definite step up from the Q701, although I'd skip on the HD700 and the K812.

Just bear in mind that as soon as you cross into >$500 territory the rate of diminishing returns kicks in hard.

I would have to disagree.  I feel as though the majority of headphones to buy are either <$300 or $600<.  The dead-zone in the middle is probably where the most diminishing returns lay.  Ask anyone who's dipped their toes into the $1000 budget pool.  From CIEMs to high quality over ears there is a BIG difference in the experience comparatively to anything in the $600 range.  Yah it's unfortunate but that's just how these companies compete.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2819 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 23:53:29 »

I would have to disagree.  I feel as though the majority of headphones to buy are either <$300 or $600<.  The dead-zone in the middle is probably where the most diminishing returns lay.  Ask anyone who's dipped their toes into the $1000 budget pool.  From CIEMs to high quality over ears there is a BIG difference in the experience comparatively to anything in the $600 range.  Yah it's unfortunate but that's just how these companies compete.

Binge, can I ask what your favourite headphones are for <$300 then? And for $600<?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2820 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 02:31:37 »
This makes me want to re-think buying the K7XX... I mean I already have the T90 and the HD650... Plus the HD598 but I basically gave them to my girl. Hmm...

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2821 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 03:14:10 »
This makes me want to re-think buying the K7XX... I mean I already have the T90 and the HD650... Plus the HD598 but I basically gave them to my girl. Hmm...

HD 650 > K7XX.  K7XX have little bass extension and an artificially wide sounding sound stage.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2822 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 07:37:55 »

Just be careful haha. What is in your collection now? You may just want to stop buying lo-fi and mid fi and just sell them off for one TOTL.

My collection isn't anything special by any means, but I bought probably the best bits just this month after deciding to dip my toes so to speak.

I have: Fostex T7's (probably not worth mentioning), Sennheiser HD555's, PC350SE's, Beyerdynamic DT770's, AKG Q701's and an Epiphany Acoustics O2 Dac/Amp.

I think for me to go further in to the more expensive territory I will have to find somewhere I can listen to them before just spending a decent chunk. I will probably give it a rest till the new year now as xmas and stuff can be an expensive time :p

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #2823 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 08:02:58 »

I meant that diminishing returns kicks in above the HD600/HD650/K712 tier (which means $400-500 where I live :(). But yeah, after that there's a huge gap until you reach the $1,200+ Audeze/HD800/Beyer T1 price bracket.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #2824 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 09:11:55 »
I use some Monster Inspiration which I purchased mostly for the noise cancelation since I fly frequently.

Can someone convince me to buy some Audio-Technica ATH-M50X for work?
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2825 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 10:15:51 »

Why would someone need to convince you to buy something?

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline luisbg

« Reply #2826 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 10:20:30 »

Because I want an upgrade but can't justify it myself, so maybe somebody else can  ;)
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2827 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:20:37 »

Because I want an upgrade but can't justify it myself, so maybe somebody else can  ;)

I have not used M50X's myself, but I would be inclined to suggest Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's over the M50X's. I am fairly sure they are also a similar price and a superior headphone IMO.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:24:58 by Freebird »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2828 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:37:11 »
I have not used M50X's myself, but I would be inclined to suggest Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's over the M50X's. I am fairly sure they are also a similar price and a superior headphone IMO.
Agreed, the ATH-M50/50X are so overrated, it isn't funny at all. Haven't heard them myslef, but I'm inclined to agree with Freebird that the DT770 Pro would be a better choice. I have the DT990/600 Premium, I can honestly say it's a kickbutt headphones for games and music......and movies.

I'll be back later with pics of some new toys I have gotten, and will get by later today (in my neck of the woods, it's the wee hour of the morning here so I'd hitting the sack soon).
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:39:05 by PadawanGeek »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2829 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:39:44 »
dt770s 80ohm were on sale at guitarcenter for 129 last night. not sure if sale is still available.  was able to get a pair and you could get them in store also

i had the 250 version and i found them way better than m50s and a million times more comfortable. m50 too damn tight. but i stupidly got rid of them for mad dogs. really regret that move.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:42:05 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #2830 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:45:59 »

Beyerdynamic seems to be very popular in Massdrop. Going to do some research.

How would they compare to the Monster Inspiration?

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2831 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 15:06:23 »
Has anyone had any experience with the Brainwavs HM5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006MA9XXM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HP27GYJT4QMW&coliid=I19P2BAVDTG0UT  ? I'd quite like to use them with a USB audio interface M-Audio M-Track 2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BQ6KSN6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HP27GYJT4QMW&coliid=I1RI8OAZKQMM72 
Has anyone had any experience with that either?
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2832 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 15:12:45 »
Has anyone had any experience with the Brainwavs HM5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006MA9XXM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HP27GYJT4QMW&coliid=I19P2BAVDTG0UT  ? I'd quite like to use them with a USB audio interface M-Audio M-Track 2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BQ6KSN6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HP27GYJT4QMW&coliid=I1RI8OAZKQMM72 

Yeah the HM-5 is the Fischer-003.  Great headphone.  You can get it cheaper through Jaycar,

http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&CATID=85&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1015#4

You can run these headphones out of just about anything.  They have wonderful efficiency.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2833 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 15:18:34 »

Yeah the HM-5 is the Fischer-003.  Great headphone.  You can get it cheaper through Jaycar,

http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&CATID=85&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1015#4

You can run these headphones out of just about anything.  They have wonderful efficiency.
Out of stock :/
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2834 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 17:11:31 »
I think I'm going to cancel my K7XX order.. It just doesn't seem worth  spending the money since I already have the T90s and the HD650s... Order #360..

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2835 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 17:33:05 »
dt770s 80ohm were on sale at guitarcenter for 129 last night. not sure if sale is still available.  was able to get a pair and you could get them in store also

i had the 250 version and i found them way better than m50s and a million times more comfortable. m50 too damn tight. but i stupidly got rid of them for mad dogs. really regret that move.
Nice, that is an amazing deal for the 80 ohms. I got mine for something like 180 from some random ebay store a couple years ago and that was a deal compared to the other places.

They are just so comfortable I don't think I could upgrade unless I found something that felt as good as these.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2836 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 02:54:17 »
A few pics of my recent audio related acquisitions, first up, and Audeze LCD2.2 with a nice (and short) 3rd party cable:

Next up, a 1.5m length of 3rd party cable for my HD800

The two cans with their new cables attached

Last but not least, the Fostex HPA4 DAC/AMP for the LCD2, the iFi Micro iDSD DAC/AMP beside it is for the HD800

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2837 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 12:27:24 »
Damn, I have wood for woodies

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2838 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 10:38:56 »
Heh, there's something so secksay about wood, eh? ;) I'm still thinking of adding one more high end can to my collection, thinking it'd be either a T1, HD700 or a HE560. Just need to find one at the right price! ;D Surprisingly, contrary to what some have suggested to me, the Fostex HPA4 DAC/AMP (being weaker than the iFi Micro iDSD) can drive the LCD2 quite easily. I'm listening to a WAV rip of Enya Greatest Hits and volume is reasonably loud at about the 11 o'clock mark. The HD800 conveys a feeling of spaciousness, the LCD is definitely not wide, but with a better bass that sounds tight as well. So far, I'm pretty pleased with what I'm hearing given the money I'd spent on them.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2839 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:10:17 »
my dt770s came in :D

man i love these headphones. close to the amount of bass i like without spending a ton of cash.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2840 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 20:48:06 »

man i love these headphones. close to the amount of bass i like without spending a ton of cash.
I've always been rather curious of the DT770's, closed back so it'd definitely have better bass than the open backed DT880 and DT990. I have the DT990/600 and I find the bass to be satisfactory, more airy as is the characteristic of open backed cans. It's definitely harder to drive though being 600 Ohms, but apparently, both my headphone DAC/AMP's can drive it......though for the Fostex, I'd have to hit the 1-2 o'clock mark for it to be sufficiently loud. Using the 'Hi' gain on the Fostex definitely helped and I didn't have to turn the volume knob so high. Oh yeah, the other closed back cans from Beyerdynamic, the Custom One Pro, has tremendous bass as well, so I'm on the look out for either.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 20:50:30 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #2841 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 20:58:46 »
Um... So I just ordered a pair of Audio Technica M50x (because it was bundled with a sound recorder that I've been eyeing for my SO's Christmas present) but know nothing about them. Paid 169-25(Mail In Rebate) for a pair of 169 dollar headphones and a 100 dollar recorder.

What's the general consensus on these?

Will they sound better than my Yuin PK2 or my UE Triple.Fi?
null

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2842 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 22:07:18 »
I am going to the seattle headfi meet up on saturday and someone that is showing up is going to let me try there hd700's.
Did anyone here buy a hd700 in the black friday sale and not like them and are willing to sell them? :D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2843 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 22:14:08 »

I've always been rather curious of the DT770's, closed back so it'd definitely have better bass than the open backed DT880 and DT990. I have the DT990/600 and I find the bass to be satisfactory, more airy as is the characteristic of open backed cans. It's definitely harder to drive though being 600 Ohms, but apparently, both my headphone DAC/AMP's can drive it......though for the Fostex, I'd have to hit the 1-2 o'clock mark for it to be sufficiently loud. Using the 'Hi' gain on the Fostex definitely helped and I didn't have to turn the volume knob so high. Oh yeah, the other closed back cans from Beyerdynamic, the Custom One Pro, has tremendous bass as well, so I'm on the look out for either.

im pretty noob when it comes to headphones. i usually rely on tj to suggest stuff that i might enjoy. so far these have been my favorite headphones. im sure if i venture out of my price range i can find something better but for what i paid i love these.

plus they are comfortable. not as comfy as my ath ad700 (i swear i sometimes forget i have these on) but enough for long periods of time.

ill eventually venture out. but having to upgrade my dac and amp is also going to hurt my wallet.

anyway i dont know where i was going with this.

770s > m50s imo. especially if you dont have a tiny head.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2844 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 23:31:25 »
im pretty noob when it comes to headphones. i usually rely on tj to suggest stuff that i might enjoy. so far these have been my favorite headphones. im sure if i venture out of my price range i can find something better but for what i paid i love these.

plus they are comfortable. not as comfy as my ath ad700 (i swear i sometimes forget i have these on) but enough for long periods of time.

ill eventually venture out. but having to upgrade my dac and amp is also going to hurt my wallet.

anyway i dont know where i was going with this.

770s > m50s imo. especially if you dont have a tiny head.
Bah, I'm pretty noob about audio myself, so you're in good company. :thumb: I ask for advice too, but would rather make up my mind as to what I want when it comes time to pony up the deniros. There is another forum I go to that is quite intolerant of soundcards, with one particular member being something of a ****. I'd asked about a DAC/AMP for my HD800, was recommended the O2+ DAC/AMP, but I decided to go with an iFi Micros iDSD (my friend had 1.4TB of DSD64 files) because DSD support is a big factor for me.

This nasty fella called me a HeadFi sheep, and basically insulted whenever I'd posted in the audio section there. I gave up posting in the audio section there because of him. I find most forum members in many of the other forums I go to to be quite amicable and not so closed minded like that nasty 'posterior orifice'. If a guy buys a good headphones and a good soundcard like the Asus Phoebus/STX/SB Z series, to go with his just acquired headphones, are we gonna be ****s and rain on his parade saying that he'd made a mistake? I'm not that sort, I'd say he'd have been better served with a good and cheap DAC/AMP, though the soundcard would do a decent job as well.

This particular guy would be all over you for buying a soundcard, and he can be quite nasty about it. I'd spoken with other audio guys in that forum, they say that he's a young guy full of testosterone and, I feel, a chip on his shoulder. Regardless, I've remained true to my word and have not posted in the audio section there since. The folks here are really more open to different ideas and hardware to attain the sound that each individual wants, and not based on some closed concept that for good sound, only external DAC/AMP's would do.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2845 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 23:41:55 »
yeah i dont go on headfi. too many "experts". i end up more confused than anything.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2846 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 00:00:14 »
yeah i dont go on headfi. too many "experts". i end up more confused than anything.
I guess I wasn't succinct enough(my bad  :-[ ), I wasn't referring to HeadFi, that place confuses the hell outta me too, it's another pretty well-known tech forum. They're not widely known for audio, which was why I was quite ticked off with this so called 'expert' who's so  obviously delusional that he believed his opinions outweigh the person who'd ultimately pay good hard cash for it. :mad:

As for the DT770, I believe it to be better than the ATH-M50/50X (so overrated!), I've not tried the DT770 but have tried the ATH-M50 which I found to be pretty decent....perhaps I don't like its signature sound I guess. I have the ATH-AD700X and I quite like it, very airy and spacious sounding, though bass is somewhat thin.

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #2847 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 00:16:55 »

As for the DT770, I believe it to be better than the ATH-M50/50X (so overrated!), I've not tried the DT770 but have tried the ATH-M50 which I found to be pretty decent....perhaps I don't like its signature sound I guess. I have the ATH-AD700X and I quite like it, very airy and spacious sounding, though bass is somewhat thin.

The DT770 and M50x are pretty similar headphones, really. The Beyers have a less claustrophobic soundstage but they both are somewhat V-shaped, with recessed mids and exaggerated bass. The only reason people make it out to be a huge difference is because they don't have much experience with other headphones  :rolleyes:

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2848 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 00:25:42 »
The DT770 and M50x are pretty similar headphones, really. The Beyers have a less claustrophobic soundstage but they both are somewhat V-shaped, with recessed mids and exaggerated bass. The only reason people make it out to be a huge difference is because they don't have much experience with other headphones  :rolleyes:
I guess you're saying I'm one of those who do not have much experience with cans. :-[ Well, I did say I'd tried the M50, and only the M50, so based on the sound I hear, I didn't quite like it. Also, my expectations were raised because many spoke of the M50/M50X like it was the second coming (I guess I'd half expected to be blown away by the M50 like I was with the HD800). I find myself going for more transparent sounding cans, yes, I do appreciate some bass, but it must be tight. So far, I do appreciate the DT990/600 for better but tight bass, mildly recessed mids with nice highs that doesn't seem too bright (for me anyway).

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #2849 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 01:46:11 »
I guess you're saying I'm one of those who do not have much experience with cans. :-[ Well, I did say I'd tried the M50, and only the M50, so based on the sound I hear, I didn't quite like it. Also, my expectations were raised because many spoke of the M50/M50X like it was the second coming (I guess I'd half expected to be blown away by the M50 like I was with the HD800). I find myself going for more transparent sounding cans, yes, I do appreciate some bass, but it must be tight. So far, I do appreciate the DT990/600 for better but tight bass, mildly recessed mids with nice highs that doesn't seem too bright (for me anyway).

I wasn't aiming at you specifically but it's something I see bandied around a lot :) First the M50s got overhyped and the same thing is happening to the DT770s now that the M50s have been overexposed. Both are good, <$200 headphones but that's exactly what they sound like - <$200 headphones. The difference in sound quality is often overstated.