Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316235 times)

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2850 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 08:04:37 »
My DT880 600 Ohms should be delivered today... *squeeee*
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2851 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 11:21:33 »
I love my ad700s but I want something more comfortable for my somewhat average size head. The imaging is ok but I want something that is more detailed and precise.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2852 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 11:22:55 »
I love my ad700s but I want something more comfortable for my somewhat average size head. The imaging is ok but I want something that is more detailed and precise.

What does your budget look like? Also what do you have in terms of amp/dac?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2853 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 12:00:56 »
modi optical + magni. I play fps games most of the time. $500

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2854 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 12:45:18 »
Okay, I officially own a Schiit Stack (Magni/Modi) and DT880 600 Ohms. A happy camper, I am.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2855 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:08:33 »

Hmm.. What is most important to you in terms of sound along with a large sound stage? Also your budget should be plenty, its at the point where you can afford any of the mid-fi stuff but just slightly lower than TOTL high-fi.

But my early recommendation would be to look at the K7XX, the K712, and HD598. All are within your budget, are very comfy, have large detailed sound stages, and have good clarity. I hear massdrop is working on a K8XX which you could also wait for.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2856 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:46:53 »

Dude join the Ortho love circle- HiFiMan HE-400i, so good.  You can find some good deals online.  I bought a pair for my wife for X-Mas and demoed them... VERY happy with the performance, weight, and comfort.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2857 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:48:16 »

the only thing more comfortable than ad700s is not wearing anything.

ad700 so slight and comfy!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2858 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 14:06:28 »

Dude join the Ortho love circle- HiFiMan HE-400i, so good.  You can find some good deals online.  I bought a pair for my wife for X-Mas and demoed them... VERY happy with the performance, weight, and comfort.

I need a pair of orthos.. Bad..

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2859 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 14:49:50 »

Protip: Do it. xD

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2860 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 14:51:42 »

Want to not take your advice that wasn't directed at me.

But orthos...

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2861 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 15:00:34 »

would you consider them better at imaging then the ad700s?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2862 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 15:04:07 »

Want to not take your advice that wasn't directed at me.

But orthos...

Want to go halfsies on a pair?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2863 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 16:11:00 »

imaging for the most part is a result of a good enclosure, a good amplifier (low crossover distortion), and a good audio source.  There are tests online for this sort of thing,

If you change headphones and this gets worse... the issue is the headphones, if it doesn't then it's your amp's crossover distortion.  If you're listening to something and you don't get quite the same feeling as the above link in terms of imaging quality it's your source/recording.

The 400i would give you fine stereo imaging.  Separation is great.  I'd also recommend the Alpha Dogs I have for sale right now.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2864 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 16:58:39 »

I have no experience with the ad700s but I do have a Hifiman HE500 and I have heard the Audeze LCD2. They tend to have a more closed-in soundstage and less defined center imaging than other headphones. That said, the separation and layering is nothing short of spectacular and I absolutely love the beautifully smooth, rich mid tones of the HE500.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2865 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 23:33:19 »
I just pulled the trigger on a Schiit Fulla, cost me a total of 105USD with Fedex Economy delivery to Asia. I don't know when I'd get it, but I'd definitely let you guys know when I get it. I'm gonna try it out three cans: DT990/600, LCD2.2 and HD800.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2866 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 23:36:01 »
Superclose to buying a fulla right now for my IEMs.  Super close to buying a bunch of ****, to be honest.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2867 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 23:44:23 »
Superclose to buying a fulla right now for my IEMs.  Super close to buying a bunch of ****, to be honest.

For on the go use, or for laptops or something? The fulla needs a lot of power and might need a powered usb port if you are wanting to use it with your phone. I really want to get one for my se535s. Although pretty solid alone, I think a nice little amp would help out.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2868 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 01:04:27 »
Protip advice: DO IT!!!  ;D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2869 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 01:23:35 »

do it

in other news I got NAD VISO HP50s
I love Elzy

Offline AFKfapping

« Reply #2870 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 02:40:55 »
Sennheiser hd558's with foam mod! best bang for the buck IMO

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2871 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 02:55:11 »
I just pulled the trigger on a Schiit Fulla, cost me a total of 105USD with Fedex Economy delivery to Asia. I don't know when I'd get it, but I'd definitely let you guys know when I get it. I'm gonna try it out three cans: DT990/600, LCD2.2 and HD800.

lol.  "Schiit Fulla".  And I thought "Schiit" was funny.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2872 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 03:06:28 »
lol.  "Schiit Fulla".  And I thought "Schiit" was funny.
Schiit does have a sense of humor with regards to naming their products....actually 'Fulla' is a Norse goddess I believe. Hey, at least I can honestly say I'm Fulla Schiit. ;D

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2873 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 10:49:42 »
Hey guys, I need some opinions quick, I can get a pair of Mr Speakers Mad Dog 3.2 for 200USD, should I go for it? Is that a fair price for a used MD 3.2? It was bought in July this year, so it's got more than 7 months of warranty left.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2874 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 10:50:51 »
Hey guys, I need some opinions quick, I can get a pair of Mr Speakers Mad Dog 3.2 for 200USD, should I go for it? Is that a fair price for a used MD 3.2? It was bought in July this year, so it's got more than 7 months of warranty left.
That seems like a pretty legit price to me.

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #2875 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:23:44 »

Assuming they're in decent condition, yeah that's a fair price. IMO the Mad Dogs are pretty much the best <$300 closed headphones out there provided you don't want exaggerated bass.

They really do love a good amp though, so I hope you have that covered.
              Waiting on / GMK LED Keycaps

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #2876 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 21:08:48 »
I will third this, as long as they have the big leather pads. nice tonal balance and no harshness, bit smoother than the Alpha Doges.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2877 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 21:38:24 »
So I have feeling "santa" will be bringing me some HE400i's this christmas.  :thumb:

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #2878 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 22:29:52 »
Got my Fidelio X2s a week ago...

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2879 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 22:57:10 »
HP50s shipped wew
I love Elzy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2880 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:02:04 »
jvc HA-SZ2000 bought!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2881 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:05:11 »
I love Elzy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2882 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:08:01 »
jvc HA-SZ2000 bought!

finally

now epc and tj can stop making fun of me ;_;

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2883 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:08:43 »
jvc HA-SZ2000 bought!

They seem pretty solid. Let us know how you get along with them once they arrive!  :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2884 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:12:10 »
jvc HA-SZ2000 bought!

They seem pretty solid. Let us know how you get along with them once they arrive!  :)

they'll be with tj first, i hope he gives a review of them. i have nobody at home next week to receive them :( don't want them to get "lost"

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2885 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:21:53 »
jvc HA-SZ2000 bought!

finally

now epc and tj can stop making fun of me ;_;

Oh I'll make fun of you still peasant.  Bought mere bass canons instead of sacrificing a minor amount of bass for all the pretty and better sound

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2886 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:24:48 »
disappoint you more than my father ;_;

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2887 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:26:29 »
Question for you folks, my current home set-up is an Aune T1 to DT990 pros. I quite like the headphones, but I am not a huge fan of the Aune. I have been considering upgrading to a better amp, and selling the Aune off. Do you think an Asgard or something similar would have a noticeable difference to the Aune, or should I just suck it up and keep the Aune for now?

My on-the-go pair is a set of Shure SE535s, and they are amazing! Although it seems I like sibilant headphones, judging from my setup. But back to the SE535's, I would highly recommend them if anyone is looking for a nice pair of semi-affordable IEMs.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2888 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:40:39 »
Question for you folks, my current home set-up is an Aune T1 to DT990 pros. I quite like the headphones, but I am not a huge fan of the Aune. I have been considering upgrading to a better amp, and selling the Aune off. Do you think an Asgard or something similar would have a noticeable difference to the Aune, or should I just suck it up and keep the Aune for now?

My on-the-go pair is a set of Shure SE535s, and they are amazing! Although it seems I like sibilant headphones, judging from my setup. But back to the SE535's, I would highly recommend them if anyone is looking for a nice pair of semi-affordable IEMs.

I just finished modding 2 pair of dt990 for customers and was not happy with how it sounded out of my aune.  I'd say invest in something OTL like a valhalla.  Maybe an asgard or crackpipeballspeedheadsex.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2889 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:43:17 »

I just finished modding 2 pair of dt990 for customers and was not happy with how it sounded out of my aune.  I'd say invest in something OTL like a valhalla.  Maybe an asgard or crackpipeballspeedheadsex.

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking, as the 990s have a v-shaped sound, and the Aune pushes this even higher. Also, its on my list to mod these to have a detachable cable, or to send it to you to do. Likely do it myself as I am a student and shipping is expensive. :P

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2890 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 00:06:47 »

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking, as the 990s have a v-shaped sound, and the Aune pushes this even higher. Also, its on my list to mod these to have a detachable cable, or to send it to you to do. Likely do it myself as I am a student and shipping is expensive. :P

I'll happily answer questions when you get to that point.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2891 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 00:13:35 »

I'll happily answer questions when you get to that point.

Cool, thanks for the offer! I will take you up on that sometime!  :D

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2892 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 03:32:41 »
Sony MH1C. So good. O_o (Well, as long as I use them with my Sansa Clip Zip, not the Android phone, and don't move… dem microphonics.)

I mean, seriously. Bass could be tighter, but we're talking about a bundled headset here…

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2893 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 15:47:49 »
IEMs broke today :( what do
I love Elzy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2894 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 15:50:18 »

Upgrade  :p

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2895 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 15:54:26 »

I told him it's time to scrape up the cash for CIEMs, even if entry level.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #2896 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 15:54:49 »
Just got a new set of Audio Technica M50x in the mail today and they are not too bad!

Nothing too spectacular but good enough for a bit of casual listening without having to deal with DACs and amps!

Satisfied I am (especially because they essentially cost me 40 dollars - they came bundled with a sound recorder I was going to buy anyway for my violinist girlfriend)!!!
null

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2897 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 15:55:40 »

Noble audio customs?!?!?!  ;D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2898 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 15:58:17 »

That's one of the two I'm recommending him.  Either 3c or UE 4pros.  Basically, the two companies I would choose if my jh13pros were destroyed or stolen because jh customer service gives me a frowny face.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2899 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:45:54 »

That's one of the two I'm recommending him.  Either 3c or UE 4pros.  Basically, the two companies I would choose if my jh13pros were destroyed or stolen because jh customer service gives me a frowny face.

Basically, Swag, or save $50?
I love Elzy