Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316215 times)

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3000 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 20:10:30 »
Good Schiit! I haven't had an opportunity to hear the TH900 yet.

Here's my stack:

Show Image

Beautiful!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3001 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 23:06:24 »
Padawan what amps/dacs are you running? After you get ample head time let me know what you think of the HE400i's bass. Personally I am a bit underwhelmed  :( but everything else about it is great, the highs are so clear, the mids are full and the sound stage on them is fantastic. I really need some closed headphones  :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough... a suggestion given to me by someone else here on GH was perfect for adding the right kind of bass to the HE400i/560.

If you use windows go to your sound devices> right click on your device> go to device properties> enhancements > check Bass Boost and apply settings.  You can also EQ it yourself by cutting the low mids, mids, highs by at most 8dB and then compensating with more amp volume.

Just tried the bass boost option, unfortunately, I didn't like it...  :(. To me it just messed with the sound too much, everything else became muted and the bass felt artificially lifted. The bass without any enhancements is still great I just wish it had a bit more head rattle. Thanks for that heads up though, I will probably play around with it a little more.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3002 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 23:17:42 »
Padawan what amps/dacs are you running? After you get ample head time let me know what you think of the HE400i's bass. Personally I am a bit underwhelmed  :( but everything else about it is great, the highs are so clear, the mids are full and the sound stage on them is fantastic. I really need some closed headphones  :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough... a suggestion given to me by someone else here on GH was perfect for adding the right kind of bass to the HE400i/560.

If you use windows go to your sound devices> right click on your device> go to device properties> enhancements > check Bass Boost and apply settings.  You can also EQ it yourself by cutting the low mids, mids, highs by at most 8dB and then compensating with more amp volume.

Just tried the bass boost option, unfortunately, I didn't like it...  :(. To me it just messed with the sound too much, everything else became muted and the bass felt artificially lifted. The bass without any enhancements is still great I just wish it had a bit more head rattle. Thanks for that heads up though, I will probably play around with it a little more.

Yeah it is food for thought. EQ is much better if you cut, and the Microsoft bass boost is a great example of that ideology.   It reduces the low mids mids and highs by -4dB.  All things considered you may only need a good 1-2 dB cut instead.  The 400i have a fantastic sound, and my wife likes them stock.  I think on my O2/ODAC the bass boost is almost necessary if I want to relax.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3003 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 23:35:49 »

Yeah it is food for thought. EQ is much better if you cut, and the Microsoft bass boost is a great example of that ideology.   It reduces the low mids mids and highs by -4dB.  All things considered you may only need a good 1-2 dB cut instead.  The 400i have a fantastic sound, and my wife likes them stock.  I think on my O2/ODAC the bass boost is almost necessary if I want to relax.

Yeah the 400i has a very lovely sound signature. They are so much more clear than the original HE400's.

Is your O2/Odac in a single housing? When I had my stand alone Odac I actually found that if you plugged headphones straight into the output you would get massive amounts of bass. Like unholy amounts of bass. Just something interesting I found haha.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3004 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:12:59 »

Yeah the 400i has a very lovely sound signature. They are so much more clear than the original HE400's.

Is your O2/Odac in a single housing? When I had my stand alone Odac I actually found that if you plugged headphones straight into the output you would get massive amounts of bass. Like unholy amounts of bass. Just something interesting I found haha.

It's in a single housing, but I still have outputs for the odac.  The line output will get more harmonic distortion depending on the load put on it, so I really don't appreciate the sound so much.  It's designed to be used with a headphone amplifier's line input.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Tasker

• Gizmo Bazaar
« Reply #3005 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:28:11 »
Got myself a pair of Bose QuietComfort 15s for xmas. It's my first pair of proper noise cancelling headphones. They might not be as pro as some of the setups going on in this thread but I love them. Really comfortable and great sound (and they seriously help cut out all that noise while I'm walking around the city centre!).

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3006 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 18:35:20 »
Scrub life, I got desperate enough to fix my M50s and I'm currently using them until all my stuff comes back from RMA.
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3007 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 06:50:15 »
A couple of audio source hardware purchases since I'm done with buying cans (I hope! :p ). A Schiit Vali and a Light Harmonic Geek Pulse....

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3008 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:09:00 »
A couple of audio source hardware purchases since I'm done with buying cans (I hope! :p ). A Schiit Vali and a Light Harmonic Geek Pulse....
Show Image

Sweet... I am on the payment plan for the Geek Pulse right now. How do you like it so far? Once I get that, I will pretty much be done getting audio gear for a while, It will be just my geek pulse and wa7 fireflies holding it down  :p Also question, in your opinion Padawan, whats the better all around end game, HD800 or Audeze LCD-2/3?

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3009 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:22:39 »
I have a bunch of headphones, partially because I do home recording, but also just because I like headphones. None of them are terribly expensive, but I have some Grado SR-60s, Sennheiser HD 280 pro, AKG 240, KRK KNS 6400. Sony MDR-7502 Pro, Sony MDR10RNC plus various cheaper ones.

But my favorite right now are quite inexpensive. Koss QZ-99, big, sturdy, tight, passive noise reduction headphones. Some people say they aren't bassy enough, but I prefer not to add too much bass to the source material anyway, and they reduce noise better than my MDR10RNCs, which are fairly good. Also, for recording, they don't leak much sound either, so I don't get a lot of bleed when I am recording vocals.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #3010 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 14:09:59 »
What I am rocking right now

89971-0

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3011 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:53:13 »
sold my schiit stack ;_;

need to buy mm2 uber now.

but need to sell my jvc to fund it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #3012 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 18:21:52 »
sold my schiit stack ;_;

I didn't get the Uber ones. But these mm2's are still amazing. It powers the DT990s wonderfully. But now I have been eyeballing the HD600's..

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3013 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 18:25:50 »
im looking at ubers for the optical out and so i can connect speakers. sometimes i dont feel like wearing headphones :P
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #3014 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 18:31:40 »
im looking at ubers for the optical out and so i can connect speakers. sometimes i dont feel like wearing headphones :P

Hmm good point. I don't have room on my desk for speakers, but would RCA splitters work?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3015 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 18:41:00 »
sold my schiit stack ;_;

I didn't get the Uber ones. But these mm2's are still amazing. It powers the DT990s wonderfully. But now I have been eyeballing the HD600's..

Don't fall into the trap of side-grading. Just save up and actually UPGRADE. It is worth it  :thumb: Something I need to learn as well haha.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3016 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:30:55 »
So I've got my Spirit One S and HP50s back now. Not enjoying the sound of the Spirit One S as much as the HP50s, but the HP50s are just too uncomfortable for me to wear long term. Comfort of the Focals are slightly above average. Thinking about selling both of them now :\
I love Elzy

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #3017 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:32:59 »
So I've got my Spirit One S and HP50s back now. Not enjoying the sound of the Spirit One S as much as the HP50s, but the HP50s are just too uncomfortable for me to wear long term. Comfort of the Focals are slightly above average. Thinking about selling both of them now :\

What is uncomfortable about them? I thought the DT990's pinched way to much and I could only wear it for about an hour. I left them bent out on some books for 2 days, then used my hand to flex the band a bit more. Heavenly bliss now.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3018 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:54:32 »

What is uncomfortable about them? I thought the DT990's pinched way to much and I could only wear it for about an hour. I left them bent out on some books for 2 days, then used my hand to flex the band a bit more. Heavenly bliss now.

The clamp + glasses is killing me, and the headband is kinda awkward. Earcups aren't deep enough either, even after doing a spacer mod with cables. Literally my most comfortable set of cans right now are my M50s but I dislike their sound greatly.
I love Elzy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3019 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 20:03:49 »

The clamp + glasses is killing me, and the headband is kinda awkward. Earcups aren't deep enough either, even after doing a spacer mod with cables. Literally my most comfortable set of cans right now are my M50s but I dislike their sound greatly.

Sell them all and upgrade to one better pair?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3020 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 20:12:27 »

That's the  plan!!! but to what? :D
I love Elzy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3021 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 20:19:59 »

Well what is your preferred sound signature? Do you want open or closed? Also what are you driving it with? I am sure comfort is high up there since you mentioned your glasses. Also budget, do you want to spend all the money you make from selling your other cans?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3022 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 20:41:56 »

Well what is your preferred sound signature? Do you want open or closed? Also what are you driving it with? I am sure comfort is high up there since you mentioned your glasses. Also budget, do you want to spend all the money you make from selling your other cans?

I'm going pretty all in once I sell them both, all towards new closed cans. Sound signature I like is neutral, maybe some warmth similar to the HP50s. Driving them with E17 for now until I get a stack. The Squad has been recommending me Fostex TH600s :P
I love Elzy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3023 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 20:47:28 »

I'm going pretty all in once I sell them both, all towards new closed cans. Sound signature I like is neutral, maybe some warmth similar to the HP50s. Driving them with E17 for now until I get a stack. The Squad has been recommending me Fostex TH600s :P

Those are some nifty cans. Another suggestion would be the Mr. Speakers Mad dogs or Alpha dogs if you can stretch that far.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3024 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 21:52:12 »
I picked up some Sennheiser HD 598s from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $120... I think I might like them more than my AKG K7XX ($200) - they sound amazing and they're comfy as all ****.  :-X  :-\ fml
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3025 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 21:53:58 »
I picked up some Sennheiser HD 598s from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $120... I think I might like them more than my AKG K7XX ($200) - they sound amazing and they're comfy as all ****.  :-X  :-\ fml

I need to try those.  The best headphones I've tried to date are some Beyerdynamics.  I think they were DT 770s.  As soon as I see a pair of DT 770s, DT 880s, or DT 990s down around $100 again, I think I'll be grabbing one.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3026 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 22:04:49 »

Love love love the 598s. I'll take Senn over AKG any day.

I need to try those.  The best headphones I've tried to date are some Beyerdynamics.  I think they were DT 770s.  As soon as I see a pair of DT 770s, DT 880s, or DT 990s down around $100 again, I think I'll be grabbing one.

Might be tough to hit that price point for new pairs but definitely possible with used ones. Any of those 3 would be great.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3027 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 22:10:55 »

Been eying the Beyers as well, thinking a closed headphone like the 770 would be a good compliment to my AKGs, but after being blown away by the 598s I think I'd want to test-drive before buying if at all possible - I need to find a good hi-fi shop in the area to sample some cans! If you ever want to borrow the 598s to test 'em out let me know :thumb:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #3028 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 00:08:52 »
I use these:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-headphone

Had them for a  couple of years now, love em.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3029 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:23:54 »
I prefer the HD598 over the K/Q7xx as well. The AKGs sound a bit thin and harsh with some peaks in the upper mids that make them fatiguing to me. They have a grainy, dry sound. The HD598 is just on the warm side of neutral and has a much more euphonic sound that is never fatiguing.

Picked up a Beyerdynamic T1 last week and I am really enjoying it. It definitely impressed me more out of the box than the HD800 did when I first heard it. I've never heard a headphone with such a buttery smooth midrange that presents with this level of detail and finesse. By comparison, the soundstage of the HD800 is larger in the sense that sounds seem farther away, and somehow less tangible. The T1 places sounds slightly closer with equal positional accuracy and an absolutely mind blowing level of clarity.

It's still a bit to early to decide for sure, but this thing may drive me to liquidate my HD800.

Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3030 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:26:36 »
Damn what a beautiful set up
I love Elzy

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3031 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:32:46 »
That's some serious headphone porn right there!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3032 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 18:29:53 »
That is a serious bit of kit... So jealous.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3033 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 00:03:08 »
Recently, I called the local distributor of AKG in my neck of the woods, told them I'd lost the screw on adapter for my can. They graciously sent a replacement via mail FOC, I can't tell you how surprised I was with this level of good service, the package arrived today....

Yes, I could simply have used any adapter but the anal guy in me wants an exact fit AKG adapter.....

Offline Creizai

« Reply #3034 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 10:48:30 »
I prefer the HD598 over the K/Q7xx as well. The AKGs sound a bit thin and harsh with some peaks in the upper mids that make them fatiguing to me. They have a grainy, dry sound. The HD598 is just on the warm side of neutral and has a much more euphonic sound that is never fatiguing.

Picked up a Beyerdynamic T1 last week and I am really enjoying it. It definitely impressed me more out of the box than the HD800 did when I first heard it. I've never heard a headphone with such a buttery smooth midrange that presents with this level of detail and finesse. By comparison, the soundstage of the HD800 is larger in the sense that sounds seem farther away, and somehow less tangible. The T1 places sounds slightly closer with equal positional accuracy and an absolutely mind blowing level of clarity.

It's still a bit to early to decide for sure, but this thing may drive me to liquidate my HD800.

Show Image

Mind me asking what camera are you using?

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3035 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 11:51:44 »

It's a Nikon Df with a 50mm Zeiss Planar T
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3036 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 11:54:04 »

It's a Nikon Df with a 50mm Zeiss Planar T
Damn, your camera game is as on point as your headphone game!  :eek:  :thumb:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline supersoul

« Reply #3037 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 01:23:30 »
do ear phones count? love my shure se215s

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3038 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 01:40:27 »
I see no reason to discriminate, post 'em up! Seems like you aren't the only one happy with em: http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-se215
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3039 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 13:43:29 »

I have a pair for the gym and my right ear cuts out at certain angles.  I know there's a pin mod but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3040 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:23:14 »
So not exactly a headphone question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread. I want to get a subwoofer for a home setup, what should I look for if I just want to find an old one of Ebay? And this is the amp I have, I'm assuming I'll need a new one?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 07:31:15 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3041 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:55:07 »
So not exactly a headphone question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread. I want to get a subwoofer, what should I look for if I just want to find an old one of Ebay? And this is the amp I have, I'm assuming I'll need a new one?

A sub for home or car?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3042 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 07:33:07 »
So not exactly a headphone question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread. I want to get a subwoofer, what should I look for if I just want to find an old one of Ebay? And this is the amp I have, I'm assuming I'll need a new one?

A sub for home or car?
whoops, for home.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #3043 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 07:35:31 »
I'm trying to find a wireless pair of headphones that won't cost me a damn fortune..

Me too. JayBird BlueBuds X have good critics, but are way expensive. Any alternatives?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3044 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 09:26:03 »

A sub for home or car?
whoops, for home.

I just have a 5:1 integrated system which works pretty well, but I guess if you have a set of decent speakers already, you are going to want a separate sub...

I'm not that familiar with subs, but I think you may need a new one, as that one puts out only 20W. But I'm not sure.

I'm trying to find a wireless pair of headphones that won't cost me a damn fortune..

Me too. JayBird BlueBuds X have good critics, but are way expensive. Any alternatives?

Over ear or in ear?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3045 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 07:49:26 »
I decided to use my Geek Pulse on my 2nd rig, I replaced it with an iFi iDSD Nano + Lyr stack, liking what I see and hear thus far....oh yeah, since they have that aluminum look, I decided to break out my YoTH again. ;)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3046 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 10:08:54 »
I decided to use my Geek Pulse on my 2nd rig, I replaced it with an iFi iDSD Nano + Lyr stack, liking what I see and hear thus far....oh yeah, since they have that aluminum look, I decided to break out my YoTH again. ;)
Show Image

I've still got 2 more payments on my geek pulse :( should see it around April though. Can you give some impressions? There are so few reviews out there it makes me worried. Have you heard of lachlan likes a thing? If you haven't try googling it. He is some small reviewer that got a faulty unit and kind of bashed the Geek Pulse.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3047 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 10:21:46 »
I've still got 2 more payments on my geek pulse :( should see it around April though. Can you give some impressions? There are so few reviews out there it makes me worried. Have you heard of lachlan likes a thing? If you haven't try googling it. He is some small reviewer that got a faulty unit and kind of bashed the Geek Pulse.
I know, that lachlanlikesathing YT reviews he does, and yes, his was apparently a faulty unit. No issue with mine, though I've been warned that I should always power on first, wait a few sec BEFORE plugging in my cans. When you're done listening, always unplug the can first before powering off. I follow that regime and thus have no issue. As for sound, I don't have golden ears, but I do find the Lyr + Nano iDSD stack to have a little more 'weight', plus the tilt towards warmer sound is always welcomed.....to me at least. Mine is the Geek Pulse Standard, no perks and whatnot, it is actually quite a capable unit, sounds pretty good and powerful enough to drive my DT990/600, LCD2.2 and HD800 with ease.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3048 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 10:34:40 »
I know, that lachlanlikesathing YT reviews he does, and yes, his was apparently a faulty unit. No issue with mine, though I've been warned that I should always power on first, wait a few sec BEFORE plugging in my cans. When you're done listening, always unplug the can first before powering off. I follow that regime and thus have no issue. As for sound, I don't have golden ears, but I do find the Lyr + Nano iDSD stack to have a little more 'weight', plus the tilt towards warmer sound is always welcomed.....to me at least. Mine is the Geek Pulse Standard, no perks and whatnot, it is actually quite a capable unit, sounds pretty good and powerful enough to drive my DT990/600, LCD2.2 and HD800 with ease.
That's good to hear. I would hate to have buyers remorse before I even receive mine lol. But since I got the wa7 my plan is to use the Geek Pulse as a dac since everyone raves over the dac chip used. That's good the amp is powerful but I'm guessing the tubes of the lyr are just too good I'm sure.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3049 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 11:22:24 »
Yep, I'm somewhat into tube rolling, the stock GE tubes were a tad coarse, the Telefunken 6DJ8 I am using now smoothened that coarseness. Even bought a pair of Amperex and am now thing of scoring a couple of Mullard.