Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316173 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3050 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 12:56:37 »
That geek pulse should power a good deal of cans, it's got a 3W peak output at 32 ohm  :thumb:
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #3051 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 21:03:11 »
Does anyone have one of these and can comment on it? https://www.massdrop.com/buy/musiland-monitor-02us-dragon-dac-amp?s=amp

Looking for a reasonably priced dac/amp for gaming and music.

I have a Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard with Realtek ALC1150 and Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 gaming audio suite and I'm using an Audio Technica ATH-ADG1 gaming headset. I've also got an Asus Xonar DX7.1 sound card from my old PC build.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 February 2015, 23:29:12 by missalaire »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Korth

« Reply #3052 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 22:30:18 »
Total headphone noob here, no lies.

I've done some reading at audiophile sites.  I have a glimmer of understanding about what sort of audio gear I would want to buy, and why, and what my options are at different price points.  I'm even trying to teach myself how to listen with a more critical, trained ear.  Not to become an audiophile elitist, of course, but only to be able to properly enjoy my sound quality (although I guess it's a slippery slope).

Then again - I currently use onboard audio (ALC1150), cheapish 2.1 speakers (Z523 40W), and a 3.5mm headset (Siberia V2) for most of my entertainment (some movies, some music, some gaming) and I'm not too unhappy.  A proper soundcard and better headphone/headset, chosen in the context of audio quality, are what I'm currently considering.  I'm thinking that serious audio equipment, equalizers, amps, etc, aren't my thing just yet - software can do it well enough for my needs.

A quick question, though:

What sort of audio quality can be expected from headsets built for aviation and military industries?  I expect the engineering of these things prioritizes durability and reliability and communications redundancy.  And a lot of sound damping, of course.  Perhaps also some optimization towards voice-frequency audio quality.  Maybe even some a few communications security (encryption) features and compatibility with all sorts of weird interfaces.  But - as ridiculous as it might be - how well would an aviation headset sound for general music playback and PC gaming and chatting?

No, I'm not really into sporting a helicopter pilot headset for leet gam0rz pwnage dominance, shooting for looks and bling and style, all surface no substance.  Well, not a lot, maybe just a little.  I mean, I've seen such headsets ebay for cheap ($25-50) and they do indeed look quite cool, and there's no reason not to swap out "bad" audio components for better ones to get the best of both worlds.  Not seriously high-end snooty audiophile stuff, definitely no Turtle Beach or Bose or Sennheiser brand whoring, but I think it shouldn't be completely impossible to expect some "surprisingly good" audio quality, no?

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3053 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 22:44:13 »

No, I'm not really into sporting a helicopter pilot headset for leet gam0rz pwnage dominance, shooting for looks and bling and style, all surface no substance.  Well, not a lot, maybe just a little.  I mean, I've seen such headsets ebay for cheap ($25-50) and they do indeed look quite cool, and there's no reason not to swap out "bad" audio components for better ones to get the best of both worlds.  Not seriously high-end snooty audiophile stuff, definitely no Turtle Beach or Bose or Sennheiser brand whoring, but I think it shouldn't be completely impossible to expect some "surprisingly good" audio quality, no?

They are cool, I have often wanted to rock some Airwolf style cans, but they aren't necessarily designed for music; they are designed so you can hear human speech over helicopter engines and rotor blades. I think they also use a different connector, though that's not insurmountable.

Have you looked at something like the Koss Pro4AA? They are built like tanks, have liquid filled ear pads, and good isolation (though for mega passive isolation look at the Koss QZ-99). They also have a stud that can be used to mount a microphone (in theory, though which microphone in particular is ready for the mount isn't clear.)
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline Korth

« Reply #3054 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 23:53:48 »
http://www.pilot-europe.com/aviation-headsets/passive-headsets%20/p51-ptt

I've been looking at this P51 PTT model in particular, love the look.  Largely because the look looks very functional and comfortable.  I've seen a few auction cheap - it seems this is a very common flight school/student model and most "serious" pilots end up $$$$ upgrading to something better.  So I don't really expect audio quality to be the greatest, but it should be easy enough to swap different speakers and electronics into those cans, while rewiring switches and connectors is trivial enough (if necessary at all, those PJ-055 plugs appear to be electrically compatible with 1/4" patch cords).  Other, similarly styled and priced, products would be more or less equivalent for my purposes.

I understand that headphone engineering is a deep and dark science and the topic of much endless debate among enthusiasts.  But to me, headset priorities are simple:
1) deliver good quality audio, good volume, minimal distortion, good (at least basic 20Hz-20KHz) frequency response - perhaps emphasize low- and mid-range a little since I don't really enjoy hearing highest-frequency noises anyhow
2) be comfortable to wear for long durations - without involving any complex leather straps or harnesses, lol
3) look good while I'm wearing them!
4) be reasonably affordable - but I never mind paying more for a product when I'm convinced I'm actually going to get more of what I want for the price.

So it just needs to sound pretty good, not be uncomfortable, look cool, and be somewhat inexpensive - easy-peasy!

I guess also:
5) microphone should work, but I hardly care how well so long as my minions can properly hear what I say

To be honest, it seems that wordy audiophile concepts like "a rich, complex soundstage" and "lively, bright responsiveness" and "bringing clarity and focus to each instrument" are highly subjective and (for now, at least) not something my unlearned ear can truly discern or appreciate.  I suspect, too, that these sorts of things have a lot more to do with the actual sound source (for me the actual mp3 file data, audiocard codec specs, and processing capabilities of the player software).  That being said, I won't outright dismiss or ignore the insights and opinions and advice of countless audiophiles initiated to the secret deep details of headphone science and headphone art which I only barely know exist.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 February 2015, 00:02:10 by Korth »

Offline Korth

« Reply #3055 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 00:15:43 »
http://www.modmic.com/

I have seen a lot of these AntLion ModMics floating around at game cons, a perfect mic add-on for those Koss Pro4AA headphones.

To be honest I just don't think I get it.  Most gamers are wearing gamer headphones (which have decent but not-that-great audio) - and these cost about the same as the ModMic product.  Plus, gamer headsets are also available (which have about the same not-that-great audio) with a built-in mic - and these, too, cost about the same as the ModMic product.  I guess most gamers emphasize looks and style over everything else.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3056 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 01:06:26 »
I just ordered a set of Superlux HD681 Evos today. I guess I'll add a modmic to them if I like them ;) 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-681-evo-black-professional-monitor-headphones
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:52:24 by cmadrid »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3057 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:28:36 »
Yet another can to my collection, Philips did go out of the way to build a can with good quality material, solid feel and premium look. Just started putting this can, Philips Fidelio X1, through its paces....

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3058 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:35:39 »
Yet another can to my collection, Philips did go out of the way to build a can with good quality material, solid feel and premium look. Just started putting this can, Philips Fidelio X1, through its paces....
Show Image

You are spending all this money on headphones, where are your keyboards??
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3059 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:36:45 »
Show Image

don't look at his sig :P
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3060 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:39:49 »
Heh, I'm supposed to pick up a Ducky 4 69 Fire Edition, but the shop's kind of far from where I am, plus I usually busy come end of the month, plus I'll have to go to China for a short trip. Guess I'll pick it up by the end of the first week of March. I'm limiting myself to special or limited edition keyboards from now on.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3061 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:27:50 »
Sifo has joined the fostex squad hype
I love Elzy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3062 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 19:32:15 »

demik has joined the fostex squad, also
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3063 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 19:37:30 »

* CPTBadAss has been on the (modded) fostex squad hype

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3064 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 19:47:14 »

* CPTBadAss has been on the (modded) fostex squad hype

so was demik >.<

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #3065 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:19:46 »
Can you guys please upgrade your dac and amp  :p now

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3066 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:25:08 »
Errone from d-squad on the fostex train now.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3067 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:29:27 »
Can you guys please upgrade your dac and amp  :p now

M/M2 STACK INCOMING (later)
I love Elzy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3068 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:35:35 »
Sold my T90s to a coworker. They haven't been getting any head time and I didn't like how they sounded with the WA7. Sad to see them go but I guess I will be saving up for some HD800 or Audeze's.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3069 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 00:42:16 »
Modded Fosteks like the ones from Mayflower?

I would love to get the Objective 2 / ODAC combo, or a magni/modi combo at some point, but I don't think it will be this year.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3070 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 00:45:28 »
DongKingNewAss has mad dogs I think, modded t50rps.. although there are tons of modded t50rps out there.
I love Elzy

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3071 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 02:52:48 »

yesss
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3072 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 03:43:19 »
mfw my 1 keyboard still cost more than what I paid for my mint TH600s...that's  kinda sad
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3073 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 07:04:40 »
Quoting you again, decided to keep my keyboard creds alive and kicking...

Offline Korth

« Reply #3074 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:58:40 »
Now I'm looking to swap new 50mm drivers into my new (used) P51 unit, which currently sounds worse than Dollar Store headphones for music, it sounds all flat like an AM-radio on hyper treble, yet also utterly lacks any sort of bass percussion.  Other than sucky sound it is a truly awesome headset, lol.  I would use it for listening to music (metal, techno, industrial, rock, floyd, classical, dance, a little girly pop - pretty much anything which ain't hip hop or country), movies (mostly talking, emo soundtracks, loud motors, and sci-fi laser noises), and games (footsteps, explosions, gunfire, the occasional chainsaw, screams of agony, squishy butchering noises)- and I would want it all to sound its best!

I'm a hard tech, hard specs, results-oriented kinda guy, can't work a lot with vaguely qualitative (and totally subjective) audiophile descriptors.  I figure quality of sound reproduction in headphones must depend entirely on a combination of:
  • signal quality of the electrical pathway (wire gauge/conductance, connectors, etc)
  • actual performance parameters of the drivers/speakers
  • acoustic properties of materials around and between the drivers and the ear (damping-vs-frequency curves, etc)
  • acoustic properties of the spacial geometry within the cans (echoes, resonance, etc)
Not interested at this time in re-lining or re-designing the cans - besides, they are really comfy and have superb sound damping and truly superior build quality and they just look awesome.  But the electrical rework is simple enough.  And there are plenty of 50mm speaker parts available, most not very expensive.  But I'm confused about which would likely serve my needs best, which frequency response parameters would actually matter most.  Narrowed it down to two products -
http://szhonson.en.alibaba.com/product/826570668-218406959/50mm_32_Ohms_20mW_Headphone_Speaker.html
http://szhonson.en.alibaba.com/product/826581539-218406959/50mm_70_Ohms_10mW_Headset_Speaker.html

Help, advice, please?

(My audio source can easily drive 16-300 Ohm speakers, and software amp/EQ/FX can easily tweak sound.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 12:20:28 by Korth »

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3075 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 15:12:45 »
Now I'm looking to swap new 50mm drivers into my new (used) P51 unit, which currently sounds worse than Dollar Store headphones for music, it sounds all flat like an AM-radio on hyper treble, yet also utterly lacks any sort of bass percussion.  Other than sucky sound it is a truly awesome headset, lol.  I would use it for listening to music (metal, techno, industrial, rock, floyd, classical, dance, a little girly pop - pretty much anything which ain't hip hop or country), movies (mostly talking, emo soundtracks, loud motors, and sci-fi laser noises), and games (footsteps, explosions, gunfire, the occasional chainsaw, screams of agony, squishy butchering noises)- and I would want it all to sound its best!

I'm a hard tech, hard specs, results-oriented kinda guy, can't work a lot with vaguely qualitative (and totally subjective) audiophile descriptors.  I figure quality of sound reproduction in headphones must depend entirely on a combination of:
  • signal quality of the electrical pathway (wire gauge/conductance, connectors, etc)
  • actual performance parameters of the drivers/speakers
  • acoustic properties of materials around and between the drivers and the ear (damping-vs-frequency curves, etc)
  • acoustic properties of the spacial geometry within the cans (echoes, resonance, etc)
Not interested at this time in re-lining or re-designing the cans - besides, they are really comfy and have superb sound damping and truly superior build quality and they just look awesome.  But the electrical rework is simple enough.  And there are plenty of 50mm speaker parts available, most not very expensive.  But I'm confused about which would likely serve my needs best, which frequency response parameters would actually matter most.  Narrowed it down to two products -
http://szhonson.en.alibaba.com/product/826570668-218406959/50mm_32_Ohms_20mW_Headphone_Speaker.html
http://szhonson.en.alibaba.com/product/826581539-218406959/50mm_70_Ohms_10mW_Headset_Speaker.html

Help, advice, please?

(My audio source can easily drive 16-300 Ohm speakers, and software amp/EQ/FX can easily tweak sound.)

You can't really tell much about the sound of those once installed based on the frequency response charts given because it will be quite different depending on the shape/materials of the enclosure they are installed in (in this case your headphones). But judging by the information given, if you are looking for something that sounds better than dollar store headphones, I don't know if either of those would really be any kind of an upgrade at all. Both show enormous swings in amplitude at different frequencies in the range of 15-20dB and have very high THD.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3076 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 15:21:09 »
Our th600s shipped :D too bad I won't have mine for a while since I won't be home and I have tj modding it + proxy for me.
I love Elzy

Offline Korth

« Reply #3077 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 16:48:50 »
<5% and <3% THD is "very high"?  What sort of THD figures would be considered "low" or even "average" then?

True, the dB amplitude-vs-frequency spikes and falls steeply over much of the rated range.  I suspect that it's a basically unavoidable engineering consideration, if only one (or a few) ideal-performance speaker part(s) with better-balanced frequency response existed then there wouldn't be such a wide array of similar-yet-different parts to select from, there wouldn't even be any need to manufacture so many parts in the first place.  And there wouldn't be any need for a headphone forum because everyone would be using the one-and-only best-and-only model available.

Or is there another engineering parameter - unit cost - which defines a short list of nearer-to-ideal parts, and I'm just looking at the chaff?

Agreed, bench-test frequency tests and real-world inside-the-can listening may not align perfectly.  Especially since the "listening" component is so variable and subjective.  But lacking any other reference (or the inclination to methodically install/simulate every an exhaustive number of speakers in my own cans), the specs will have to serve as a baseline.

My earlier question was intended more about asking which frequency ranges are more important, more commonly present in the type of listening I would like to do.  Which frequency ranges in the audible spectrum would my random music and lasers and butchering sounds tend to emphasize?  Armed with such information I could select the "optimal" speaker, disregarding the ones which underperform for my needs (and/or overperform in ways which fall outside of my needs), and - ultimately - end up with the best possible (or at least a reasonably great) headphone listening experience.

Only gonna have one or two headphones/headsets, not a different pair to don for each different mood and each different entertainment experience.  So I don't mind investing a little to get something good in return.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:00:59 by Korth »

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3078 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:00:46 »

My earlier question was intended more about asking which frequency ranges are more important, more commonly present in the type of listening I would like to do.  Which frequency ranges in the audible spectrum would my random music and lasers and butchering sounds tend to emphasize?  Armed with such information I could select the "optimal" speaker for my needs, disregard the ones which overperform in ways that fall outside of my needs, and - ultimately - end up with the best possible (or at least a mildly great) headphone listening experience.

Only gonna have one or two headphones, not a different pair for each different entertainment experience.  So I would like to invest a little and get something good in return.

You could do a spectrum analysis of the sounds you are listening to. Find an FFT analyzer online and put it in your signal path and see what you get. Then you can flatten, attenuate, or boost whatever frequencies (but boy, sounds a lot harder to do that in your speaker than with the EQ.)
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline Korth

« Reply #3079 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:05:21 »
lol, thanx

Unfortunately, I have no spectrum analyzer (even though I've long yearned for one, I really have) and obtaining one would cost far, far more than a leet pair of headphones.

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3080 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:14:14 »
There should be free software FFTs that meet your needs. But it sounds like a lot of effort when you can just buy some reasonably priced, well regarded headphones based on objective data. If you want a flat response, look at studio monitors that people pin their livelihood on. They don't have to be extraordinarily expensive. $150-$200 can buy you excellent headphones.

Take your FLAC player to Guitar Center or someplace and listen to some after you do your research.

Also, subjective though you may be, you still have a preference. Do you want to emphasize the bass or hear it as it was recorded (and possibly assuming someone would boost it anyway), etc.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3081 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:23:37 »
<5% and <3% THD is "very high"?  What sort of THD figures would be considered "low" or even "average" then?

Yes, this is very high. For example, take a fairly inexpensive headphone like the Sennheiser HD598 which has a THD rating of <0.1%. A THD of 3-5% would have some clearly audible distortions.

My earlier question was intended more about asking which frequency ranges are more important, more commonly present in the type of listening I would like to do.  Which frequency ranges in the audible spectrum would my random music and lasers and butchering sounds tend to emphasize?  Armed with such information I could select the "optimal" speaker, disregarding the ones which underperform for my needs (and/or overperform in ways which fall outside of my needs), and - ultimately - end up with the best possible (or at least a reasonably great) headphone listening experience.

Only gonna have one or two headphones/headsets, not a different pair to don for each different mood and each different entertainment experience.  So I don't mind investing a little to get something good in return.

You may be approaching this from the wrong angle. Assume you determine that most of your uses produce lots of sounds in the 400-2000Hz range. That doesn't necessarily mean a headphone that has a higher amplitude between 400-2000Hz would sound better than any other headphone. The frequency response, along with other factors such as transient response time, decay, dryness/wetness, etc, will determine how it sounds and whether or not it sounds good for your use is a purely subjective thing. I might like a headphone with lots of detail in the highs for movies and games while you might prefer one with lots of rumbling low end. If you explain a little more about your sonic preferences, it might be easier to point you in the right direction.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:25:12 by Rayoui »
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3082 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:33:09 »
Also, objective though you may be, you still have a preference. Do you want to emphasize the bass or hear it as it was recorded (and possibly assuming someone would boost it anyway), etc.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3083 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:59:26 »
I'm ambivalent when it comes to brand and signature sounds of the various brands, I don't mind my cans being edgy or dark. I have the chance to trade my AKG K812 for the legendary Grado PS1000, while I'm NOT unhappy with the K812, I'd not mind trying out the PS1000. Should I move on this?

Offline Korth

« Reply #3084 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:43:49 »
@ Rayoui & brimborion:

Thanx for your responses, even though I didn't get the answers I wanted, lol.  My sonic preferences are basically just accurate reproduction of whatever the recorded audio was originally meant to sound like.  Sometimes I do want to tweak EQ a bit, amp it up (or down), apply some sort of sound envelope filter, adjust bass, whatever - and sometimes I don't - so I generally prefer the versatility of having speakers which report the sound "true" and "as-is", then making my alterations via hardware/software controls.  Not interested in headphone hardware which automatically pumps the bass or punches up the mids or clarifies voice, etc, regardless of my listening mood and content.  So I guess I prefer plain "studio" defaults.

You seem to be suggesting that my specs/tech/math approach isn't necessarily the best plan.  I admit that I can't really understand why that is, raw data never lies, lol.  Willing to compromise, follow advice and wisdom, head over to the hi-fi stores to personally experience and compare some headphone offerings, learn more about what I like and dislike.  (Maybe follow up by researching specs on the particular parts the "best" products use.)  Again, I'm still noob, I hardly even know audiophile terminology, let alone what it signifies.  I like technically precise (and thus technically meaningful, testable, reproducible) specs and definitions far, far more than subjective (and thus individualized and qualitative) expressions.  :p

On a side note, I've found lots of surprisingly capable free audio spectrum analysis software.  And some psychoacoustic demonstrations, audio tests, etc, which provided much useful information about my personal listening parameters.  Seems my older (and slightly abused) ears ain't quite as awesome as I'd thought, particularly on the high frequency extreme.

I ask you this:

If you have three headsets on your desk, only three, then which would they be and why?  What qualities does each one have which makes it better for one listening task but not another?  Which three products make your short list, what do you expect from them, and when/why do you reach for each one?  Your descriptions might help me a lot in understanding which aspects of a headphone should be important.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:09:12 by Korth »

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3085 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:11:44 »

You seem to be suggesting that my specs/tech/math approach isn't necessarily the best plan.  I admit that I can't really understand why that is, raw data never lies, lol.  Willing to compromise and head over to the hi-fi stores to personally test/experience/compare some headphone offerings, learn more about what I like and dislike.  (Maybe follow up by researching specs on the particular parts the "best" products use.)  Again, I'm still noob, I hardly even know audiophile terminology, let alone what it signifies.  I like technically precise (and thus technically meaningful, reproducible) definitions far more than subjective (and thus individualized qualitative) expressions.  :p

This is a bizarre position for me to be in; I am absolutely about the data. But then you suggested that you had specific audio frequencies that needed to be reproduced accurately and some that didn't.  And you said you wanted to "emphasize" some of those frequencies; suggesting you wanted to do more than simply reproduce them. You are presumably looking at frequency graphs for different headphones and seeing that by the nature of their design some frequencies are better represented than others across the spectrum; there are usually some spots that are more dead than others because speakers and enclosures are physical objects in the real world interacting with your head and ears, which are not even accounted for in those graphs.

Most reputable headphones excluding those doing spooky psychoacoustics or outright boosting the bass frequencies are suitable for general listening in the audible frequency spectrum, and it wouldn't make sense to track those graphs to the subset of sounds you think you will use it for; they are unlikely to match up and tomorrow you will be listening to a new type of noise.

3 headphones, out of my own meager collection: Grado SR 60 because I like the open back so I can hear background noises, my Pro4aa because I can't hear the background noises and provides a good seal on my skull, and the last one is harder, but probably the Sennheiser 280 Pro because it is a flatter response and I use them for mixing my own music. All of them reproduce all of the sounds I typically listen to pretty faithfully in my own listening tests, and on paper of course they do too.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3086 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:25:12 »
So, actually a speaker question, but I figured you guys could answer this too. I want to add a sub to my set up (all I have right now are two Infinity RS-125s) and am looking at getting something cheap. I found this subwoofer and this receiver. I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems with this setup, or if there's anything better I could do? Sorry, I really no next to nothing about speakers and the like, so sorry if it seems like a silly question :rolleyes:.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3087 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:29:44 »
So, really a speaker question, but I figured it was fine to post this here to. I want to upgrade my speaker setup (right now all I have are two Infinity RS-125s and a junk amp). I found this sub and this receiver. I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems or anything I should know, or anything better I could look into (I'm not super picky or anything though)? I really know next to nothing about speakers and the like so sorry if this is a silly question :rolleyes:

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3088 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:34:48 »
So, really a speaker question, but I figured it was fine to post this here to. I want to upgrade my speaker setup (right now all I have are two Infinity RS-125s and a junk amp). I found this sub and this receiver. I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems or anything I should know, or anything better I could look into (I'm not super picky or anything though)? I really know next to nothing about speakers and the like so sorry if this is a silly question :rolleyes:

Looks like that receiver is going to want a powered sub. You'd need an amp for that subwoofer.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3089 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:38:20 »

Looks like that receiver is going to want a powered sub. You'd need an amp for that subwoofer.
ah, so passive subwoofers need an amp, but if they're powered they can just be hooked up to a receiver?

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3090 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:41:12 »

ah, so passive subwoofers need an amp, but if they're powered they can just be hooked up to a receiver?

If the receiver has speaker terminals it is probably powering the subwoofer, and you can hook up a passive subwoofer. If it's an RCA out like that it is likely providing a line level output, so needs an active, powered subwoofer (or a passive subwoofer with an amp.)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3091 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:46:17 »

If the receiver has speaker terminals it is probably powering the subwoofer, and you can hook up a passive subwoofer. If it's an RCA out like that it is likely providing a line level output, so needs an active, powered subwoofer (or a passive subwoofer with an amp.)
So something like this and this[/ulr] would work?

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #3092 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:54:54 »
I didn't see subwoofer out on that STRD315. It has A and B speakers, but they'd both be full-range; there is no crossover to send the lows to a subwoofer.

But you could use that subwoofer with the first receiver you showed.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3093 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:58:46 »
I didn't see subwoofer out on that STRD315. It has A and B speakers, but they'd both be full-range; there is no crossover to send the lows to a subwoofer.

But you could use that subwoofer with the first receiver you showed.
Alright, thanks for the help!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3094 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:28:01 »
no th600 today, thanks usps you ****s.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3095 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:29:08 »
no th600 today, thanks usps you ****s.

I love Elzy

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3096 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 23:56:40 »
Have any of you guys tried out the Takstar 2050s?  The Superlux 681s were just painful for my giant head, so I've got to try something else

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3097 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 06:06:37 »
just received this baby, love the sound :)

DSC00862 by epzyy, on Flickr

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #3098 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 06:20:43 »
Have any of you guys tried out the Takstar 2050s?  The Superlux 681s were just painful for my giant head, so I've got to try something else

Show Image

I have the Qpad QH-85 which are basically the same but with a removable mic. I have a pretty big head (I need to fully extend the headband on like all headphones I've tested) and I find them very comfortable!
I've been using them for over a year now without any problems.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3099 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 09:43:42 »
just received this baby, love the sound :)

Show Image
DSC00862 by epzyy, on Flickr

Those are really really pretty.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin