Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316188 times)

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3150 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 03:16:55 »
Currently using my Beyerdynamic T90 as a daily driver. Only really have a sound card tho as a source of amplification (Asus Xonar Essence STX). Pretty happy with it =D

Any suggestions for a dac/amp upgrade?
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3151 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 03:34:56 »
Currently using my Beyerdynamic T90 as a daily driver. Only really have a sound card tho as a source of amplification (Asus Xonar Essence STX). Pretty happy with it =D

If your headphones gets loud enough for you, I don't think you need change anything. The Asus Xonar STX is a pretty decent soundcard. Change only if:
1. The amp section of the card doesn't allow you to go louder than you want
2. The soundcard signature sound doesn't suit you, that is, you may find it too bright, veiled or dark....or whatever.

Getting an external dac/amp stack or combo may allow you to go louder, and if it's a tube amp/dac, then it might change the sound somewhat. But really, if you have no issue with your present soundcard + can, don't bother.....

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3152 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 09:50:57 »

I love the T90 but recently got rid of my pair :( to my ears they didn't match well with my tube amp. But on a solid state amp they gave wonderful clarity and bass impact especially for open cans.

I'm sure you're just fine with the STX and you should only upgrade unless you really want a more "audiophile" experience. The chain of upgrade is usually headphone, source, amp, then dac. Source referring to the quality of files you use.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3153 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:27:09 »
I'm liking these Takstar 2050s.. I think they might be the ones I use until I can get some $2-300 headphones.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3154 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 22:24:48 »
I'm liking these Takstar 2050s.. I think they might be the ones I use until I can get some $2-300 headphones.
Eh, how's a $2 can gonna match that Takstar 2050? ;D Just kidding, when you're in the market for a $200-$300 can, do consider the DT990 Premium or the Philips Fidelio X2 (the X1 impresses the hell outta me).

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3155 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 22:18:20 »
Eh, how's a $2 can gonna match that Takstar 2050? ;D Just kidding, when you're in the market for a $200-$300 can, do consider the DT990 Premium or the Philips Fidelio X2 (the X1 impresses the hell outta me).

not two dollars but, IEM superiority, easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Bling-Earbuds-HKBL1000/dp/B0072NPFH6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1426303072&sr=8-4
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3156 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 08:34:07 »

not two dollars but, IEM superiority, easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Bling-Earbuds-HKBL1000/dp/B0072NPFH6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1426303072&sr=8-4

SUCH BLING!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3157 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 08:35:37 »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3158 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 10:22:51 »
Hi guys, I have a chance to buy a vintage back electret headphone (bet you guys have not heard of such a thing, I sure as heck hadn't till I saw it up for sale), it a Rotel RH 930 and I like the way it looks, and I'm sure as heck curious about the tech behind it, as well as its sound. It's not really costly as I can get it for about 108USD, though I don't know if I'm overpricing it with my bid. Sooooooo......should I get it?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3159 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 10:30:26 »
The color on the ring is amazing. Did you get to test them at all? If you find them interesting go for it.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3160 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 00:55:55 »
Well, it looks like I've won the bid, ALMOST certainly.....so, I guess I'll be back with pics and audio impression. I've heard that it's light on bass and treble, but with very smooth mids. Anyway, not an expensive item, so I'm willing to take a chance. Like my Model M, which is the one vintage keyboard in my keyboard collection, the RH-930 will be my only vintage can among my modern can collection.

Scratch that,  someone  had outbidden me, didn't wanna get involved in a bidding war since I'm looking at something meatier now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:03:13 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Eziak

« Reply #3161 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 01:47:55 »
I just ordered a pair of AKG K702's from amazon. This is my first pair of serious headphones, do I need to get a DAC/amp to full utilize these headphones? Really looking forward to these when they get here next tuesday. :)
Boards:

CM Storm Novatouch

Offline Jerri

« Reply #3162 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 06:26:30 »
Got a Sennheiser HD600, my second one, had one since 1998, combined with a Antlion Modmic 2 and fired up with a Essence STX.
HD600 is one of my all time favorites, and sounds closest to my Hifi as i can get :)
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3163 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 16:01:38 »
Went out for a walk with them Noble 5s today, pretty good walk. Wizard Audio IEM hype is real.
I love Elzy

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3164 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 18:58:50 »
Went out for a walk with them Noble 5s today, pretty good walk. Wizard Audio IEM hype is real.

U better belief it mang.  Belief it and lief it.  Noble audio is really VERY tight.  Waffle.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3165 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 17:07:21 »
DT770s ARE ONLY £100 ON AMAZON HOLY CRAP.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3166 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 17:14:43 »

Still normal price in the US :(  Adorama has them on sale, but at $145 before rebate.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3167 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 17:15:27 »

Still normal price in the US :(  Adorama has them on sale, but at $145 before rebate.

You think they are worth getting at that price?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3168 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 17:18:58 »

They're $120 after MIR for the 250 Ohm.  Definitely worth it.  I'm just hoping for another $100 day.  That and I don't have an amp, just my HT Omega Striker.  They're nice headphones and still worth it at $175 if you can drive them.  They're some of the cleanest sounding cans I've heard.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3169 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 17:34:24 »

They're $120 after MIR for the 250 Ohm.  Definitely worth it.  I'm just hoping for another $100 day.  That and I don't have an amp, just my HT Omega Striker.  They're nice headphones and still worth it at $175 if you can drive them.  They're some of the cleanest sounding cans I've heard.

Ah, I haven't got an amp :( they are the 250s as well, so I should probably hold out for a bit until I can afford a Schiit stack... :(

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3170 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 17:37:12 »
I'd grab it.  It should still be okay and better once you get an amp.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3171 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 17:41:26 »
I'd grab it.  It should still be okay and better once you get an amp.

Argh, damn you nubbs.

If they are still £100 on payday, I will get them.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #3172 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 23:52:27 »
I have the 600 ohm dt 990's the earcups are incredible. the headband hurt my head with the clamping force until I stretched them out a bit.
dt 770's should be no different. just a fare warning.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3173 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 11:20:59 »
Trying to negotiate for the TH900, meanwhile, I'd spotted a stock Fostex T50RP out in the wild, so to prevent other people's wallet from being mauled by this beast, I decided to snag it. Truth be told, though I already have the Alpha Dog, I couldn't resist the stock T50RP simply it was cheap......cost me about 74USD.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3174 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 15:43:20 »
I have the 600 ohm dt 990's the earcups are incredible. the headband hurt my head with the clamping force until I stretched them out a bit.

Both the 80 and 250 ohm models are the same price. What's the difference and which one should I get if I don't have an amp?

You know, I might just start getting a Schiit stack this month instead of another set of cans...

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #3175 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:06:37 »
Don't really know where else to put this so it's going here. I bought something from Roccat known as the Syva. Earbuds with mic essentially. Love them on sound quality. Work great on my iPhone. I have a splitter but the mic just won't work on my PC. HELP? I reinstalled the audio drivers and nothing. I'm getting frustrated since I can't use Teamspeak. Maybe PM me?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3176 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:15:24 »
Don't really know where else to put this so it's going here. I bought something from Roccat known as the Syva. Earbuds with mic essentially. Love them on sound quality. Work great on my iPhone. I have a splitter but the mic just won't work on my PC. HELP? I reinstalled the audio drivers and nothing. I'm getting frustrated since I can't use Teamspeak. Maybe PM me?

http://www.roccat.org/en/Support/Faq/#Faq-91

The Syva is a headset developed for mobile gaming. This is why the Syva does not have separate headphone and microphone jack plugs. To use the Syva with a desktop PC, you need a splitter which separates the headphone and microphone signals.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3177 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:19:21 »
Yeah but shipping is probably cheaper and faster.

Just worked it out. For a Magni 2 Uber, it's £11 cheaper to get it from the US, including shipping.

And I can understand the site too... Bloody Dutch and their stupid language. No English option either.

£123. Maybe the month after next :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3178 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:33:10 »

Both the 80 and 250 ohm models are the same price. What's the difference and which one should I get if I don't have an amp?

You know, I might just start getting a Schiit stack this month instead of another set of cans...
From what I've heard, they'd sound about the same, the 600 Ohms version has a more refined bass (but I guess you've got to have the right equipment and ears to hear the difference). If you want something easier to drive (assuming they have the same sensitivity) then your best bet is the 80 Ohms version.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3179 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:43:12 »
From what I've heard, they'd sound about the same, the 600 Ohms version has a more refined bass (but I guess you've got to have the right equipment and ears to hear the difference). If you want something easier to drive (assuming they have the same sensitivity) then your best bet is the 80 Ohms version.

Thanks :) I will bear that in mind when I can afford them :P

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #3180 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 00:10:32 »

http://www.roccat.org/en/Support/Faq/#Faq-91

The Syva is a headset developed for mobile gaming. This is why the Syva does not have separate headphone and microphone jack plugs. To use the Syva with a desktop PC, you need a splitter which separates the headphone and microphone signals.

I have the splitter plugged in but no audio will go through my mic. It is detected though.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3181 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 05:28:07 »
A guy over at HF said that for 74USD for a T50RP, he'd have grabbed three! That sorta convinced me to pony up that amount for a used T50RP, and I'd completed the deal today. Now a proud owner of a cheap ortho!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3182 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 08:58:18 »
A guy over at HF said that for 74USD for a T50RP, he'd have grabbed three! That sorta convinced me to pony up that amount for a used T50RP, and I'd completed the deal today. Now a proud owner of a cheap ortho!
Show Image

Show Image

Sweet deal

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #3183 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 17:16:11 »
I have a pair of HD558 with Fiio E11k amp and HifimeDIY DAC. Maybe my ears aren't very sensitive or HD558 is easy to drive, I can't tell a big difference between driving HD558 directly from my laptop vs using DAC + amp.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3184 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:15:33 »
I have a pair of HD558 with Fiio E11k amp and HifimeDIY DAC. Maybe my ears aren't very sensitive or HD558 is easy to drive, I can't tell a big difference between driving HD558 directly from my laptop vs using DAC + amp.

The HD558 is very efficient and doesn't require much power to drive. The E11k might give you a slightly more fleshed out low end but the difference will undoubtedly be subtle.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3185 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 04:53:46 »
Actually, the HD 558 has a 300Ω impedance peak at about 80 Hz. Apart from that, it's easy to drive indeed.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #3186 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:52:50 »
Actually, the HD 558 has a 300Ω impedance peak at about 80 Hz. Apart from that, it's easy to drive indeed.
Thanks. So I guess an amp will help HD 558 at low frequency a bit? BTW I just looked up a impedance graph of K701 on Head Room. It is unbelievably flat and the impedance is always low. But why is it said to be very hard to drive?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3187 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:20:51 »
You need at least two numbers: impedance and sensitivity/SPL.

I have plenty of 600Ω headphones, but some of them are ridiculously easy to drive (HD 25-13 rated at 108 dB/mW), while others aren't at all (AKG K240 Monitor at 88 dB/mW)

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #3188 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:29:00 »
I'm looking for a new headset. Would like something with a decent quality microphone. I won't be gaming but recording screencasts. My only real requirements are that they not be USB. Price is not really factor, though keeping in under $500 would be much appreciated.

Any suggestions you can provide will be helpful.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3189 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:29:57 »
Errone from d-squad on the fostex train now.

DongKingNewAss has mad dogs I think, modded t50rps.. although there are tons of modded t50rps out there.

I've been on the Mad Dogs hype train for about a year. So sexy.

I'm looking for a new headset. Would like something with a decent quality microphone. I won't be gaming but recording screencasts. My only real requirements are that they not be USB. Price is not really factor, though keeping in under $500 would be much appreciated.

Any suggestions you can provide will be helpful.

Get headphones you like. Disregard the microphone. Then factor in $40-100 to get a Blue Snowflake mic, Antlion mic, or another nice mic.

It would help us to know what kinda sound you're looking for.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #3190 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:40:17 »
Get headphones you like. Disregard the microphone. Then factor in $40-100 to get a Blue Snowflake mic, Antlion mic, or another nice mic.

For headphones, I'm looking for something that gives decent sound quality for games and watching movies/Youtube. Music will only account for a tiny fraction of my listening experience. I'll be connecting everything to this sound card/amp. Portability is not a concern - the headphones pretty much won't ever leave the sound card.

For mics, I'd like something with decent noise cancellation, as my house borders a fairly busy street, and I'd like to eliminate as much of that background racket as possible. Mac and iPhone compatibility are a must, so 3.5mm input only, and I want to keep the spend on this under $100.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #3191 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 11:34:50 »
Been enjoying this setup for some time now. After modding the HE-560 its hard to complain  :D
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3192 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 15:30:52 »
So I'm debating replacing my fostex hype train (or at least supplementing it) with some new entry level audeze.  I can't tell for sure, but I think the treble delivery on the th900s is messing up my hearing.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3193 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 17:21:49 »
Audeze makes THE WORST cables ever. I have bought 3, count em, 3 of their $80 LCD2 headphone cables in the past 2 years and every single one of them has fallen apart at where it meets the headphone. I am so sick of their ****ty cable quality and overcharging >:(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3194 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 18:48:34 »
Audeze makes THE WORST cables ever. I have bought 3, count em, 3 of their $80 LCD2 headphone cables in the past 2 years and every single one of them has fallen apart at where it meets the headphone. I am so sick of their ****ty cable quality and overcharging >:(

That's why you don't buy them from audeze.  It's 2 4pin mini xlr ends and whatever termination you plug into your source plus wire.  (you solder, right?)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3195 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 08:59:36 »
My proverbial ship came in today, snagged a couple of nice cans. First, a HiFiman HE500 + Audeze Q Cable with HiFiman adapters, the cable is very soft and pretty light. The can itself looks brand new, was returned from RMA recently and seller felt HiFiman had given him a new (or perhaps refurb) unit.

Also snagged a Denon AH-D2000, minor sctaches on one of the metal yoke.....looks good and sound great from the brief listen just now. Gonna give these two cans extended listening before I'd even attempt to comment on their performance.

Offline Baron Von Clop

« Reply #3196 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 01:26:47 »

Seconding this, nearly every headset microphone is going to be garbage for serious audio recording. You really want to get a standalone if you are doing anything even remotely serious.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3197 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 07:27:08 »
HM* 26 master race

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3198 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 08:53:10 »
My proverbial ship came in today, snagged a couple of nice cans. First, a HiFiman HE500 + Audeze Q Cable with HiFiman adapters, the cable is very soft and pretty light. The can itself looks brand new, was returned from RMA recently and seller felt HiFiman had given him a new (or perhaps refurb) unit.
Show Image

Also snagged a Denon AH-D2000, minor sctaches on one of the metal yoke.....looks good and sound great from the brief listen just now. Gonna give these two cans extended listening before I'd even attempt to comment on their performance.
Show Image

Very nice. HE-500 is one of my all time favorite headphones.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #3199 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 10:27:08 »
I ended up going with the AKG K553 Pro Studio headphones and the noise-cancelling Antlion Modmic 4.0 from Massdrop.