Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316208 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3250 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 19:40:21 »
Can I get a decent pair of custom IEMs for less than $500?

I really dig the rock-its but I think I'm going to have to go for customs.

http://pro.ultimateears.com/

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3251 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 20:21:55 »
I think you can get the UE4, JH audio JH5 (CBA has and loves these) and the noble 3c all for around that and from what I know, they all sound good.

The cool thing about ultimate ears is they're getting big into 3d scanning and printing instead of the traditional injection molding/carving.  JH has some well noted customer service issues if you have any kind of errors or need to contact them (may be dated and not true today) and the noble's are super pretty with a good overall sound.

I'm sure there are other chinese based operations, but I don't know much about them.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3252 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 20:56:27 »
I think you can get the UE4, JH audio JH5 (CBA has and loves these) and the noble 3c all for around that and from what I know, they all sound good.

The cool thing about ultimate ears is they're getting big into 3d scanning and printing instead of the traditional injection molding/carving.  JH has some well noted customer service issues if you have any kind of errors or need to contact them (may be dated and not true today) and the noble's are super pretty with a good overall sound.

I'm sure there are other chinese based operations, but I don't know much about them.

+1

I would go UE or Noble

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3253 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 20:58:26 »

+1

I would go UE or Noble

Just open your wallet wide Jwaz and get some K10 customs from Noble.  :thumb:

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3254 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 00:33:09 »
I bought a couple of Ikea toilet paper holder to mount under my table top as headphone holders, worked out quite nicely. Here's a shot of one with my HX CLoud...

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #3255 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 02:30:02 »
Anyone here tried the JH16 pro FP and/or Noble K10 CIEMs?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3256 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 02:59:53 »
Anyone here tried the JH16 pro FP and/or Noble K10 CIEMs?

Binge has the k10s, the reason I went 13 over the 16 is because I didn't think I needed the extra bass driver that the 16pro has.  Sonically, the only difference between the 13 and 16 is more bass because more bass driver.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3257 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 11:44:56 »
I'd ordered and received a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha pads, I replaced the old Alpha pads on my Alpha Dog and used the old pads to replace the craptastic stock pads on my Fostex T50RP. I'd always been skeptical of pads influencing sound vis-a-vis crap stock ones (like those on the T50RP). Man, the T50RP with the Alpha pads sounds quite.......musical (best way I can describe it), better bass, music has 'weight' or body. I really am surprised that simply changing the pads made a pretty obvious difference in sound. I usually use the T50RP for a few minutes before I get tired of the sound, but after the change, I've been using it for hours, playing games and listening to music, seriously, my mind's blown at the difference in SQ......from a simple change in pads.

Edit - Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Lawton Angled pads and the improved TH900 pads from Headphonepro.......wonder how they would change the sound from my Denons.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 11:48:05 by PadawanGeek »

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3258 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 11:47:45 »
I'd ordered and received a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha pads, I replaced the old Alpha pads on my Alpha Dog and used the old pads to replace the craptastic stock pads on my Fostex T50RP. I'd always been skeptical of pads influencing sound vis-a-vis crap stock ones (like those on the T50RP). Man, the T50RP with the Alpha pads sounds quite.......musical (best way I can describe it), better bass, music has 'weight' or body. I really am surprised that simply changing the pads made a pretty obvious difference in sound. I usually use the T50RP for a few minutes before I get tired of the sound, but after the change, I've been using it for hours, playing games and listening to music, seriously, my mind's blown at the difference in SQ......from a simple change in pads.

do cables make a big difference that justifies the price? I always get the feeling that cables are snake oil territory.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3259 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 17:45:15 »
I've heard from a lot of people that cables can change the sound. I imagine if it had different electrical properties it could. However I never found any that made a noticeable difference to my ears

On another note, I think someone swiped my ak120 while I was on public transit. Couldn't find it after my trip.

If you find an ad for a dirt cheap ak120 let me know! I had a brown leather case on it with a deformed bottom right corner from where I had dropped it. I also had 2x 64gb microsd cards loaded with soundtracks inside.

Obviously I still have the packaging and cable but unfortunately I never copied down the SN, or at least if I did I have no idea where I saved it.

Thanks

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #3260 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 17:51:03 »
Can I get a decent pair of custom IEMs for less than $500?

I really dig the rock-its but I think I'm going to have to go for customs.

You can go shures with sleeves.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se535-sound-isolating-earphones with custom sleeves should work nicely.

I've heard from a lot of people that cables can change the sound. I imagine if it had different electrical properties it could. However I never found any that made a noticeable difference to my ears

On another note, I think someone swiped my ak120 while I was on public transit. Couldn't find it after my trip.

If you find an ad for a dirt cheap ak120 let me know! I had a brown leather case on it with a deformed bottom right corner from where I had dropped it. I also had 2x 64gb microsd cards loaded with soundtracks inside.

Obviously I still have the packaging and cable but unfortunately I never copied down the SN, or at least if I did I have no idea where I saved it.

Thanks

Oh man, that burns. The fact that you can make this sound so calm is pretty impressive. I would be raged right now.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3261 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 18:18:43 »
I'd imagine it's mostly the denial and hope that it will turn up at some point. Unfortunately monitoring eBay, kijiji, Craigslist, CAM and headfi is a lot of work >,< especially since I have no idea if the person is even going to know what it is.

Maybe I accidentally dropped it and someone will end up returning it, though my info is not saved on it. My only hope ATM is that it's turned into lost and found or that it's put up for sale where I can tell the police about it.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3262 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 00:35:08 »
do cables make a big difference that justifies the price? I always get the feeling that cables are snake oil territory.
That's what I think too, only reason why I'd get 3rd party cable is more for the length since I prefer shorter cables as I listen to music in front of my monitor with the DAC beside it. I was talking to an old friend of mine, he has a rather expensive home audiophile setup, and he tells me the most difference would come from a change in power cables to those from, say, Nordost flagship cable, would yield the best result when compared to changes in speaker cables and interconnects. I was like, "What? Really?!" He'd recently gotten a pair of Nordost speaker cables that cost more than the expected retail price of the HFM HE1000. Now he's thinking of getting the power cable as well.... :eek:

I've always been, still am, quite skeptical about cables making a difference in sound, unless the cable is one craptastically made one. I've heard that the Philips Fidelio X1 comes with a terrible stock cable, and that changing it to a decent 3rd party cable made a fair bit of difference. I do have the X1, but since day one of owning it, I've had a Plussound cable plugged in to it, have never bothered to try the stock one. :p

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #3263 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 03:40:51 »
So I'm looking at finally getting a decent pair of cans. Would anyone here be willing to let me try out a pair of 250 ohm DT990 pros any DT990s?

If only you were closer to CA. I got a Pair of DT880 600Ohms & Beyer T90's that you could demo. I've been listening to IEMs more recently. Really love the SE846's.

Fact I love the SE846's so much, I'm probably going to sell the DT880. Maybe the T90 as well. I need a lighter amp though, the SE846's are way too sensitive.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2015, 03:42:36 by cookiesowns »

Offline maddingo

« Reply #3264 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 16:06:10 »
new member here... big fan of music / stereo gear and headphones.

mostly at home i use my DT880 premiums (250ohms) other headphones I have DT770 Pro 80, ATH-M50X and modified removable cable ATH-M50's, Pioneer SE-A1000, JVC HA-RX700's and a few others I can't remember atm.

here is my desk with some speakers ** and my DT880's

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3265 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 16:22:04 »
Got a new pair of lcd-xc in the mail today.  Super excite to try.

Nice! My dad has a pair, so I have used them quite extensively when visiting him. I am quite a fan of the sound, but they do weigh quite a bit.

So far, the weight doesn't bug me, they aren't that much heavier than the th900 I wear normally.  They've got a bit more clamp force, but the vegan pads are crazy comfy.  But basically, I'm remembering why I love the smooth planar sound and wish I'd never strayed. from it.

We'll see after burn in if I feel different, but these are looking like a easy replacement for the th900.

More I use and tweak, the more I'm confident I'm listing the th900 for sale.  Look for thread sometime soonish.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3266 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:55:33 »

Budget high-end checking in hell yeah
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3267 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 21:11:00 »
Show Image

Show Image

Excellent! 'Grats on the purchase! :thumb: I've always wanted to try a TH600 or TH900, but the deals I'd had arranged for them always fell through. :( Guess it ain't in the books for me to own one, hence my going for the Denons instead. The headband and yoke look very similar to those on the Denons.....actually, both were made by Fostex.

Edit - I've just handed both the D7k and D2k to a modder who will be installing HiFiMan sockets on them, hence I can use other cables with HiFiMan plugs......can't wait to get 'em back.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2015, 21:14:32 by PadawanGeek »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3268 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 21:15:49 »
Show Image

Show Image

How are you liking them? I demoed them and quite enjoyed them, however I prefer iems for on the go and an open headphone for home use..

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3269 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 22:39:41 »
Show Image

Show Image

How are you liking them? I demoed them and quite enjoyed them, however I prefer iems for on the go and an open headphone for home use..

Yeah I'm kinda rethinking my preference of closed cans. I'm looking to be getting CIEMs soon. I think I'd go Open planars if it wasn't for A. PC being loud cuz I keep it on my desk, and B. dehumidifier being really loud.

I am enjoying them quite a bit so far, they're not as isolating as my previous experience with closed headphones but that's fine. Bass is crazy. Recessed midrange isn't as bad as people make it out to be so I can say I'm pretty happy.
I love Elzy

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3270 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 22:43:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

TFW $500-600 cans are "budget"

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3271 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 22:44:24 »
Show Image

Show Image

TFW $500-600 cans are "budget"

Show Image

That's what jesus said :X
I love Elzy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3272 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 22:47:22 »
BUDGET BROS 5 LYFE

o/
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3273 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 22:48:24 »
And here I am lusting after DT-770s or DT-990s because they're outside my budget...

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3274 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 23:02:40 »
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3275 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:26:30 »
A believer that pads do make a difference in sound, ordered a pair of leather Lawton Angled Pads which came in the mail today, looks great.....and smells great too!

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #3276 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 16:09:15 »
A believer that pads do make a difference in sound, ordered a pair of leather Lawton Angled Pads which came in the mail today, looks great.....and smells great too!
Show Image

They look like really fancy cup holders

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3277 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 17:54:17 »
Show Image

I wanna get some too but dang they're pricey
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3278 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 21:46:23 »
Show Image

Heh, they do, don't they?  :))

Show Image

Yep, didn't hit me just how expensive they were till I'd ordered a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha pads which is just a tad past half the price of the Lawton (60USD for the Alpha pad vs 110USD for the Lawton). If the Alpha pads were guaranteed to fit the Denon AH-D7000 without issue, I'd have gotten a couple of pairs of Alpha pads and save myself 50USD in the process. Seriously, Alpha pads are so damn comfortable, they made a world of difference on my T50RP both in terms of comfort and sound.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2015, 21:49:51 by PadawanGeek »

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #3279 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:01:47 »

Well I ran over the stock cable of my AKG K702s one too many times and decided to make myself a Blue Dragon cable to see for myself.   A friend has the same cans, and side by side I can definitely tell the difference.  Like most high end audio improvements, the difference is subtle, but to me it sounds like the cable got rid of a hazy veil and cleared up the sound a bit (8 out of 10 in a blind test).  If it wasnt amped with a DAC I dont think I would have been able to notice a difference (I have a Schiit Lyr and Bifrost).  I hear the combination of headphone and cable can make a difference, so YMMV.

Speaking of earpads, mine on the AKG's are definitely worn out.  They are kind of expensive though, and personally I would rather upgrade than spend any more money on them.

I also got a pair of Etymotic ER4PTs, of which I have yet to hear a better IEM.  Though they definitely arent quite the same as my Westone W4s for more bass heavy music, but I lost them at the gym so I dont have them anymore :(

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3280 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 00:38:01 »
Show Image

Heh, they do, don't they?  :))

Show Image

Yep, didn't hit me just how expensive they were till I'd ordered a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha pads which is just a tad past half the price of the Lawton (60USD for the Alpha pad vs 110USD for the Lawton). If the Alpha pads were guaranteed to fit the Denon AH-D7000 without issue, I'd have gotten a couple of pairs of Alpha pads and save myself 50USD in the process. Seriously, Alpha pads are so damn comfortable, they made a world of difference on my T50RP both in terms of comfort and sound.

They fit, they just look a little weird for not being circular (re: the alpha pads). I'd totally buy some Lawton pads to try but I don't wanna get em and then not like them, for that price point. Reselling pads really ain't all that. For now I'm happy with my stock th600s but they don't isolate noise very well to me.
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3281 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 01:30:33 »
They fit, they just look a little weird for not being circular (re: the alpha pads). I'd totally buy some Lawton pads to try but I don't wanna get em and then not like them, for that price point. Reselling pads really ain't all that. For now I'm happy with my stock th600s but they don't isolate noise very well to me.
Then I'm afraid you'll never be satisfied with the isolation offered by the TH900 and TH600 (extends to the Denon AH-Dx000 series as well since they have similar design features). From my understanding, the cups have a gap between them and the frame housing the drivers, the gap is for venting so the drivers can attain better speed and sound more airy I believe. When I put on my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (with its pillowy Alpha pads), most extraneous noise is cut off, with the D2000 and D7000, it's the opposite, I can still hear most of the extraneous noise.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3282 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 01:39:42 »
Alright guys, I'm in need of some decent commute headphones on a budget. I know everyone raves about Sennhiser but I'm pretty meh on the.

I've been looking at the Bose over ear phones, mostly because you can get them in teal and because they come with a carry case, any other suggestions in a similar price range and size?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3283 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 01:46:12 »
Then I'm afraid you'll never be satisfied with the isolation offered by the TH900 and TH600 (extends to the Denon AH-Dx000 series as well since they have similar design features). From my understanding, the cups have a gap between them and the frame housing the drivers, the gap is for venting so the drivers can attain better speed and sound more airy I believe. When I put on my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (with its pillowy Alpha pads), most extraneous noise is cut off, with the D2000 and D7000, it's the opposite, I can still hear most of the extraneous noise.

I have accepted this and will find a way to deal with it while keeping them :( Tempted to get Oppo PM-3 but I really shouldn't. Haven't had the chance to listen to any planar phones yet though. Next step should really be CIEMs for me.
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3284 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 03:38:00 »
Alright guys, I'm in need of some decent commute headphones on a budget. I know everyone raves about Sennhiser but I'm pretty meh on the.

I've been looking at the Bose over ear phones, mostly because you can get them in teal and because they come with a carry case, any other suggestions in a similar price range and size?
Which Bose are you looking at? Whenever someone mentions Bose, the QC15 and QC25 pop to mind. So  are you looking at them? The Bose have pretty decent sound, but the selling point of the QC15/25 is their Active Noise Cancellation function which is second to none. I'll be getting a PSB M4U 2 quite soon, it cannot match the Bose in terms of ANC but has better sound.....with its built-in amp. It's not cheap, but has the best sound in its class.

I have accepted this and will find a way to deal with it while keeping them :( Tempted to get Oppo PM-3 but I really shouldn't. Haven't had the chance to listen to any planar phones yet though. Next step should really be CIEMs for me.
Ugh, whenever I think of CIEM's, a chill runs down my spine, that's scary territory! :eek:  I've checked out Fitear, Unique Melody, Heir, Vision Ears and so forth, scary stuff! :eek: I'm thinking of getting an IE800 since I don't believe I'd like the sound signature of BA CIEM/IEM's. Only snag is, there're tons of fake IE800......

As for Planar mags, well, if you're able to, try the HE400i, best bang for buck planar mags at the moment. You can also consider the close back Alpha Dogs which are on sale now at 499USD. I have both these badboys and they're pretty good representations of what planar mags bring to the table. They have less hard hitting bass like the LCD2.2 non-Fazor (also got it) but they'd give you an idea of what planar mag sound is like.....more so the HE400i. Why not the HE400? You might ask this, the HE400 hits harder bass wise, but has peaky highs and a more recessed mids from what I've been told, the HE400i is more balanced in that sense. I have five planar mag cans, but I'm having tons of fun with the cheapest which is the T50RP (+ Alpha pads), ordered the mayflower mod kit and comfort band which will be coming later.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2015, 03:39:36 by PadawanGeek »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3285 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 04:59:04 »

Which Bose are you looking at? Whenever someone mentions Bose, the QC15 and QC25 pop to mind. So  are you looking at them? The Bose have pretty decent sound, but the selling point of the QC15/25 is their Active Noise Cancellation function which is second to none. I'll be getting a PSB M4U 2 quite soon, it cannot match the Bose in terms of ANC but has better sound.....with its built-in amp. It's not cheap, but has the best sound in its class.

Ugh, whenever I think of CIEM's, a chill runs down my spine, that's scary territory! :eek:  I've checked out Fitear, Unique Melody, Heir, Vision Ears and so forth, scary stuff! :eek: I'm thinking of getting an IE800 since I don't believe I'd like the sound signature of BA CIEM/IEM's. Only snag is, there're tons of fake IE800......

As for Planar mags, well, if you're able to, try the HE400i, best bang for buck planar mags at the moment. You can also consider the close back Alpha Dogs which are on sale now at 499USD. I have both these badboys and they're pretty good representations of what planar mags bring to the table. They have less hard hitting bass like the LCD2.2 non-Fazor (also got it) but they'd give you an idea of what planar mag sound is like.....more so the HE400i. Why not the HE400? You might ask this, the HE400 hits harder bass wise, but has peaky highs and a more recessed mids from what I've been told, the HE400i is more balanced in that sense. I have five planar mag cans, but I'm having tons of fun with the cheapest which is the T50RP (+ Alpha pads), ordered the mayflower mod kit and comfort band which will be coming later.

https://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/headphones-and-headsets/audio-and-mobile-headphones/soundtrue-ae-headphones/

those were the ones

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3286 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:11:19 »
https://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/headphones-and-headsets/audio-and-mobile-headphones/soundtrue-ae-headphones/

those were the ones
Dang, I don't know about this, but then again, portable cans aren't what I'm into. Have you auditioned it already? Bose cans aren't exactly the rage among audiophiles though, but as long as its sound suits you, you should be OK. An example of what I mean is the QC25 vs the PSB M4U 2 I 'll be getting, when it comes to Active Nosie Cancellation, the PSB cannot match the Bose. But in terms of which one sounds better, the PSB wins easily according to the various reviews I've read. Bose cans aren't known for their SQ.....have you thought about IEM's? I have a pair of Shure SE215, an Ety ER6 (from years back), a pair of JVC HA-FXZ100, they offer decent enough passive isolation and sound pretty good to boot.

Anyway, when it comes to portable, before the PSB M4U, I ain't too picky about the sound, hence my buying a pair of Klipsch Mode M40 ANC portable can, a pair of Klipsch Image One BT (look ma, no cables!), the V-Moda Crossfade M100.....very bassy stuff. With the PSB M4U 2, I'm hoping to up my portable game somewhat.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3287 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:18:03 »

those were the ones
Dang, I don't know about this, but then again, portable cans aren't what I'm into. Have you auditioned it already? Bose cans aren't exactly the rage among audiophiles though, but as long as its sound suits you, you should be OK. An example of what I mean is the QC25 vs the PSB M4U 2 I 'll be getting, when it comes to Active Nosie Cancellation, the PSB cannot match the Bose. But in terms of which one sounds better, the PSB wins easily according to the various reviews I've read. Bose cans aren't known for their SQ.....have you thought about IEM's? I have a pair of Shure SE215, an Ety ER6 (from years back), a pair of JVC HA-FXZ100, they offer decent enough passive isolation and sound pretty good to boot.

Anyway, when it comes to portable, before the PSB M4U, I ain't too picky about the sound, hence my buying a pair of Klipsch Mode M40 ANC portable can, a pair of Klipsch Image One BT (look ma, no cables!), the V-Moda Crossfade M100.....very bassy stuff. With the PSB M4U 2, I'm hoping to up my portable game somewhat.

All those bar the Bluetooth ones are over £100 over budget haha and I'm a bit wary of bt headphones because of compatibility etc...

I like bose, they sound good and have solid build quality, but I'm no expert and have little experience or access to try diffrent cans etc I know bose don't get a good rap in the audiophile world, but then, that seems to be a community based around something I can't really hear :P
I listen to alot of techno and electronic music but also a decent amount of prog and 80s synth stuff so I'm just after a good set with decent range and some nice base when I wana get into ma deep techo ****.

I already have some desktop headphones that i'm happy with, but the cable is farrrr too long for portable use so I'm just after suggestions around the £150 mark. Noise cancellation is a feature i cant afford atm but yeah the bose ones are pretty amazing, the test room they have in there shops where u sit in a simulated plane cabin is pretty impressive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K550-High-Performance-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B005CNR7B0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432217890&sr=8-4&keywords=psb+headphones

though these are well within range and have gotten decent reviews
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:20:51 by baldgye »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3288 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 06:30:14 »
The K550 is pretty good, but from my conversation with a guy who'd gotten it, it requires a long burn-in period. By most account, the K550 is an excellent close back can, so if you like its signature sound and its look, go for it. Personally wanted to try one, but none has gone on sale in the Garage section I haunt. Anyway, my PSB M4U 2 is in hand, with amp mode on, it sounds so clean and relatively neutral even on my Zenfone 2.....this certainly upped the portable listening playing field for me.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3289 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 00:35:51 »

those were the ones

All those bar the Bluetooth ones are over £100 over budget haha and I'm a bit wary of bt headphones because of compatibility etc...

I like bose, they sound good and have solid build quality, but I'm no expert and have little experience or access to try diffrent cans etc I know bose don't get a good rap in the audiophile world, but then, that seems to be a community based around something I can't really hear :P
I listen to alot of techno and electronic music but also a decent amount of prog and 80s synth stuff so I'm just after a good set with decent range and some nice base when I wana get into ma deep techo ****.

I already have some desktop headphones that i'm happy with, but the cable is farrrr too long for portable use so I'm just after suggestions around the £150 mark. Noise cancellation is a feature i cant afford atm but yeah the bose ones are pretty amazing, the test room they have in there shops where u sit in a simulated plane cabin is pretty impressive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K550-High-Performance-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B005CNR7B0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432217890&sr=8-4&keywords=psb+headphones

The K550 has a very long, thick, non-detachable cable. They are also a bit finicky as far as placement on the head to get a good seal. Probably not the best choice for portable cans.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #3290 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 05:26:50 »

when in front of the computer i only use headphones for gaming.I have Steelseries Siberia something headset.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3291 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 05:49:14 »

those were the ones

All those bar the Bluetooth ones are over �100 over budget haha and I'm a bit wary of bt headphones because of compatibility etc...

I already have some desktop headphones that i'm happy with, but the cable is farrrr too long for portable use so I'm just after suggestions around the �150 mark. Noise cancellation is a feature i cant afford atm but yeah the bose ones are pretty amazing, the test room they have in there shops where u sit in a simulated plane cabin is pretty impressive.

The K550 has a very long, thick, non-detachable cable. They are also a bit finicky as far as placement on the head to get a good seal. Probably not the best choice for portable cans.

Ok thanks, actually some of the best help I've had. I think I'll go with those Bose ones then, long as they sound good.!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3292 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 11:25:37 »
Tried those Bose ones on in a Bose shop, really wasn't impressed at all. Was expecting the sound to be a lot clearer and sharper. I'll keep my iPhone earphones for now :/

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3293 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 11:32:25 »
Anyone tried the xiaomi pistons? Headfi seems to hold them in high regard. Not sure if they'd be much improvement over my S3 headphones, which are surprisingly good themselves (if a fair bit V-shaped).

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3294 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:02:14 »
Tried those Bose ones on in a Bose shop, really wasn't impressed at all. Was expecting the sound to be a lot clearer and sharper. I'll keep my iPhone earphones for now :/

http://www.amazon.com/Takstar-Monitor-Headphone-Gaming-Computer/dp/B009PIQUB6

Make for great 'budget' headphones.. might want to buy replacement pads to make them more comfy tho.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3295 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 21:13:44 »
That was shy I'd mentioned the Bose QC15/25 in relation to the one you were looking at. They're not exactly known for SQ, more for comfort and style......and the brand name. Do you mind on ear? I have a pair of Klipsch Image One BT, it's not at all audiophile but has a fun bass and treble presence that most would like. Is there any way for you to audition it? I bought mine without auditioning it per se, rather, my niece has the wired Image One and I liked it. When I'm out and about, I usually want something fun to listen to. BTW, I have no issue with comfort wearing the Image One BT, nice fit on my ears and no discomfort or pain though I wear glasses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=image%20one%20bluetooth

The wired version is much cheaper....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-Image-ONE-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B0096QYNRA
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2015, 21:15:27 by PadawanGeek »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3296 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 10:05:48 »
Dang £25 they look alright, tbh I don't mind on ear, only I've always found that after an hour or so of use my ears just go bright red and are painful and sweaty lol, not so nice. Having over ear phones isn't a problem though... And for £25 might be worth a punt!

Tbh I'm not looking at 'budget' headphones, just solid portable ones around the $200-250 mark (£150) that will last and sound good

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3297 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 13:38:34 »

diggin these rn. vali needs to get here sooner tho, my modi is lonely
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3298 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:44:14 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:48:24 by cmadrid »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3299 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:28:23 »
AK240 should be here tonight

Fingers crossed (that it's working and that I don't lose it...)