Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316196 times)

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3300 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:29:39 »
AK240 should be here tonight

Fingers crossed (that it's working and that I don't lose it...)
Jesus man what kind of a hole did that leave in your wallet?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3301 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:13:04 »
Still debating getting a walkman a15 for portable use (has one touch bt for my bt headphones and clean power for my IEMs, plus small).

Also, debating getting either an emotiva mini-a 100x or a mjolnir for my lcd-xc.  I want more power than my m2u is putting out right now.

Also, if someone wants some good universal IEMs, I have a pair of noble 5 for sale.  Someday I'll get the picture set up where I can list them here.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3302 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:23:58 »
AK240 should be here tonight

Fingers crossed (that it's working and that I don't lose it...)
Jesus man what kind of a hole did that leave in your wallet?

The black hole kind.

It's worse since I lost my ak120. I was desperate to get a replacement in =[ to be fair the ak120ii would have been a better choice but nobody is selling theirs.

I got the ak240 for not too much more than a used 120ii at least

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3303 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:25:28 »
Still debating getting a walkman a15 for portable use (has one touch bt for my bt headphones and clean power for my IEMs, plus small).

Also, debating getting either an emotiva mini-a 100x or a mjolnir for my lcd-xc.  I want more power than my m2u is putting out right now.

Also, if someone wants some good universal IEMs, I have a pair of noble 5 for sale.  Someday I'll get the picture set up where I can list them here.

Get a custom amp  :p

(Only $3000 from my friend)

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #3304 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:28:06 »
personally, i wouldn't get the walkman.
i've heard a few bad things about it.

firstly...there are a lot of better devices out there
secondly. supporting sony .. ewww..
i feel like as the years go by everything i get from them is made with less and less quality.
last pair of headphones i got from them, NIB... the screws were stripped on the headband resizing thing.
and i have a personal pet peeve about wood screws into plastic.
that's just poor craftsmanship.

have you checked out the cowon line of goods?
they have some great products to offer.

how are the noble 5's?
i think the past month i've been researching a lot of different IEM's
still undecided, i wish there was  a place i could try them without worrying about other people ear goo.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3305 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:40:39 »

i feel like as the years go by everything i get from them is made with less and less quality.
last pair of headphones i got from them, NIB... the screws were stripped on the headband resizing thing.

how are the noble 5's?
still undecided, i wish there was  a place i could try them without worrying about other people ear goo.

I like them alright, they have a nice V sound with good detail.  I just have better IEMs and don't do a ton of headphone swapping.

I'm pretty solid in the sony camp in general, honestly.  I've looked at most all of the less than kilobuck DAPs and the walkman has what I want.  Even without the bt feature, a lot of the non-apple devices are let down big time by UI.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3306 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:43:26 »
Strange you should mention Sony, I just came across my PFR-V1 which I failed to open even after removing all the screws :))

I usually save them for cool-eared summer listening as they lack bass with most of my music (crap modern mastering :() but they're sounding great out of my Tera Player now.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3307 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:49:36 »

how are the noble 5's?

I like them alright, they have a nice V sound with good detail.  I just have better IEMs and don't do a ton of headphone swapping.

I'm pretty solid in the sony camp in general, honestly.  I've looked at most all of the less than kilobuck DAPs and the walkman has what I want.  Even without the bt feature, a lot of the non-apple devices are let down big time by UI.

Haha, although it's preference, I'd rather deal with a clunky but functional UI provided the quality is there.

Personally I think Sony can make amazing products, but it's not every product that comes out that way.
The Sony Z7 was more than disappointing and the ZX2 is not much better considering the price tag.
But the Sony SA5000 or the legendary 010/r10, damn.
Outside of audio Sony does a good job with TVs and especially cameras. You just have to make sure you're buying products they put work into.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3308 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 19:08:39 »

how are the noble 5's?

Haha, although it's preference, I'd rather deal with a clunky but functional UI provided the quality is there.

Personally I think Sony can make amazing products, but it's not every product that comes out that way.
The Sony Z7 was more than disappointing and the ZX2 is not much better considering the price tag.
But the Sony SA5000 or the legendary 010/r10, damn.
Outside of audio Sony does a good job with TVs and especially cameras. You just have to make sure you're buying products they put work into.

Yeah, the z7 was a bit of a disappointment, but I'm happy with the xb950bt.  They're comfy, built well, decent price (for bt headphones) and an acceptable sound.  Not what I would normally want, but I have them for when I'm working and don't want wires in the way.

Loved my older sony LCD tv (my sister is still using it nearly 10 years later now) and I 100% believe that the alpha mirrorless cameras are the future and wouldn't trade my a6000 for much of anything. 

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3309 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 23:00:56 »
So because of some broken hardware, looks like I'm gonna have to return the 990s. Are the 880s at least somewhat less V-shaped?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3310 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 23:22:55 »
So because of some broken hardware, looks like I'm gonna have to return the 990s. Are the 880s at least somewhat less V-shaped?

From what I've heard the 880 should be the most neutral of the bunch

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3311 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 23:28:50 »

From what I've heard the 880 should be the most neutral of the bunch
perfect, thanks!

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3312 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 02:12:08 »
The case for the AK240 is butt ugly. This dull grayish color that just makes the whole thing look bukgy.

The unit itself doesn't look terrible. If the screen wasn't raised up it would actually be very sleek and modern. But with the raised screen it's just... Odd

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3313 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 03:06:47 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jaybird-bluebuds-x-sport-bluetooth-headphones

There are some good portable headphones

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

are back up for sale again too

cheers, but Bluetooth headphones arn't something I'm after and those other ones have a 3m lead lol

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3314 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 12:01:13 »
I've quite recently confirmed two more purchases, one was to add one more woody to accompany my Denon AH-D7000, and it's an Audio Technica ATH-W5000. The PSB M4U 2 has me reconsidering my arsenal of excellent quality portable cans and IEM's (or lack thereof), the M4U 2 has me wanting an IEM to compliment it, hence my confirmation of a deal for the IE800. I'll get the W5000 next week, and the IE800 is just over two weeks.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3315 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 12:51:12 »
I've quite recently confirmed two more purchases, one was to add one more woody to accompany my Denon AH-D7000, and it's an Audio Technica ATH-W5000. The PSB M4U 2 has me reconsidering my arsenal of excellent quality portable cans and IEM's (or lack thereof), the M4U 2 has me wanting an IEM to compliment it, hence my confirmation of a deal for the IE800. I'll get the W5000 next week, and the IE800 is just over two weeks.

Interesting choices xD

I found the ie800 really good but quite thin.

I hated the denons though =[ but then I tried the TH900 and my life changed.

Post your thoughts on the W5000 vs D7000! I found the W5000 v shaped, unlike other ATs

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3316 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 13:11:37 »
Plz Mr Brocaps sell me your 598s  :'( I wants them so bad
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3317 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 20:54:10 »
The mod on my Denons is done, though I've yet to collect the cans from the mod guy, he'd sent me some pics, I must say I like what I'm seeing....oh yeah, I had the original D7000 cable terminated with HiFiMan plugs because the cable is pretty good.

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2015, 20:57:33 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3318 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:12:53 »
The mod on my Denons is done, though I've yet to collect the cans from the mod guy, he'd sent me some pics, I must say I like what I'm seeing....oh yeah, I had the original D7000 cable terminated with HiFiMan plugs because the cable is pretty good.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks good son. Looks like same stock cable fostex still using.
I love Elzy

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3319 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:49:49 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great! :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3320 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 23:44:31 »

Looks great! :)

Looks good son. Looks like same stock cable fostex still using.

Thanks, the guy who did it has done an excellent job judging from the pics, I'll be getting him to mod my incoming ATH-W5000 as well. I will be looking at some nice cables to be fitted with HFM plugs in the future. Right now, since I have a pair of Audeze to HFM adapters, I would be able to use my Effects Audio and French Silk Q Cables (both for Audeze) on these cans as well.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3321 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 07:20:34 »
Ordered a couple of stuff from Mayflower Electronics, a Comfort Band and Mod Kit for my T50RP.

Followed the guide over at HeadFi to mod my T50RP, now the bass is tighter, and treble seems a tad less bright. With the Comfort Band in place, mod and MrSpeakers Alpha Pads, this T50RP may look a lot like a stock one, but sounds a fair bit better. I can wear it for hours on end, listening to music and playing games.....the hype about the T50RP is REAL! :thumb:

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3322 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 10:27:01 »
Speaking of T50rp

Has anybody else  been following the Aequus kickstarter drama? xD

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/37h9yr/beware_aequus_headphones_kickstarter_is/

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3323 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 01:14:04 »

Would you guys recommend these or could I get something better for that kind of money?

(total headphone noob here :p)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3324 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 02:02:16 »

Would you guys recommend these or could I get something better for that kind of money?

(total headphone noob here :p)
Don't think you can get any better for 200USD, so go for it!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3325 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 03:02:26 »
I've heard they are great at that price point. I agree with padawangeek. Obviously there are other options but to keep things simple, it's a good choice.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3326 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 04:22:46 »
Thanks guys!

Now I am really thinking about spending my keyboard budget on headphones this month :p

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3327 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 05:17:03 »
Took some time off today to collect my ATH-W5000 from the seller, who's becomes my friend as I've met him a few times already to complete our deals. Anyway, other than some minor scuff marks, the can looks to be in great shape....

Also bought a Fiio X3K (or X3 II) simply because I'd be getting an IE800, so this would be a nice DAP for on the move music enjoyment. That it support DSD natively is a bonus.....

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3328 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 04:42:26 »
Got tired of the HD800 analytical sound, so I swapped it for a Grado PS1000 with the same guy who'd sold me the HD800 (I believe he has even more cans than me). The PS1k looks pretty smashing with its chromium body/enclosure... :cool:

Now, two awesome Grado cans in my collection....

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3329 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 07:38:08 »
I did this test : http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
yesterday and I couldn't tell the differences.
Can you?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3330 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 08:03:33 »
I did this test : http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
Can you?

I picked 1x 128kbps mp3, 3x 320kbps mp3 and 2x uncompressed WAV

it's really hard to seperate 320kbps mp3 from FLAC/other higher quality formats, but I think 128kbps mp3's are easy to spot. I only had trouble with the coldplay track :P

I'm using fostex th-900 + schiit asgard 2 and bifrost uber usb, no EQ other than bass boost in windows
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3331 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 09:44:39 »
Can you?
Comments on this were hilarious, people with slower Internet could easily tell because the uncompressed wav took the longest to load. I tried the test with sound and got 4 of 6 correct using my headphones. But when I did the test with no sound and only perceived loading times, I got 5 of 6 correct lol.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3332 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 09:45:43 »
Can you?
Comments on this were hilarious, people with slower Internet could easily tell because the uncompressed wav took the longest to load. I tried the test with sound and got 4 of 6 correct using my headphones. But when I did the test with no sound and only perceived loading times, I got 5 of 6 correct lol.

cheaterz
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3333 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 10:07:26 »
Can you?
Yeah, that was awful. Some random notes follow…

My hearing is generally more sensitive than average. I can hear voices, steps, engines, *lights* and all that jazz before other people or completely without them noticing. And no, I'm not insane, at least not like that. However, I've just been sick for a week, so there's that.

I listened to the test on my thinkpad, with fake IE80 IEMs w/ nasty stiff "foam" tips. Don't be fooled by the word "fake" though. They're literally a steal at $35; some reviews have found them almost on par with originals, better in certain ways (a more ergonomic cable), worse in some others (awful accessories, long burn in). My dad said they were the best hps he'd ever heard. Therefore, still better than what the average Joe uses.

Finally, the test. I get Coldplay first. Ugh, pop music. I clearly prefer the 320kb/s mp3. I've heard this happens a lot to people used to the sound of that codec. I wonder why they discuss 128kb/s AAC in a pop-up in a test dedicated to MP3. The rest: I'm sorry, I don't really listen to this kind of pop music (yes, Mozart is/was pop music). There's a clear bias, because I become more familiar with the record after each listen. I randomly select WAV thrice and 128kb/s mp3 twice. What does it mean? Not much. I have the habit of overanalyzing a few albums at a time, and at least bitrate matters to me a lot then; I've had to delete a ton of mp3 rips at 192 kb/s or less, even though I still keep some 32kb/s wma bootlegs (I'm not kidding).

Offline suby4me

« Reply #3334 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 12:34:29 »
Can you?

I got 3 right.
The wrong ones were coldplay, jayz, and mozart. Those I got the 320 kbps.

I didn't use my headphones, just blasted the hell out of my speakers.
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3335 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 17:51:42 »
I tried coldplay, got 320

I tried Mozart, got 320

I've done my own tests in the past and couldn't tell the difference in most of my songs. Only a handful of songs could I tell the difference and that was only when I had my sr007. I doubt I'd hear a difference using iems or other less detailed headphones. I don't carry that much music around so it's not really an issue to be using flac. And I know that way I'll be hearing all the details whether I can perceive them or not =P

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #3336 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 14:01:07 »
Did the test myself.

Got 2/6 correct. Two songs were extremely easy to spot, but the other ones were all pop genre with massive compression and poor mastering. If there were better recordings picked, I'm sure most of us could spot the differences.

I'll have to try on the Shure's. I did this on the T90s.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3337 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 13:03:15 »
Has anyone used Symphonized ear buds before?  I ordered a pair to use while I'm at the gym mostly..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T55A6TG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Offline n3ro

« Reply #3338 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 01:30:07 »
Has anyone used Symphonized ear buds before?  I ordered a pair to use while I'm at the gym mostly..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T55A6TG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

How do they sound? I'm also using one around that price range (thermaltake isurus).

They sound decent but they are falling apart and im thinking about picking up a Vsonic gr07 classic.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3339 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 07:15:16 »
Haven't gotten them yet, they should be here in a day or two

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3340 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 22:54:19 »
anyone have opinions/tested sennheiser momentum m2 (around/over ear)?

also, a totally useless anecdote:

i had a chance to side-by-side the sennheiser momentum m1 with the hd558 at best buy... it was the first time i truly understood what "V/U-shaped" felt like... the momentums had the emphasized treble and bass, decent mids that felt kind of pushed back, but the hd558's relative flatness really brought out the mids, but with still nice thumping bass. wish i could have had my hd598s there to side-by-side with the hd558.

really poor source files though, you could hear the distortion/crackling/hiss at higher vols.

Offline n3ro

« Reply #3341 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 04:53:07 »
anyone have opinions/tested sennheiser momentum m2 (around/over ear)?

also, a totally useless anecdote:

i had a chance to side-by-side the sennheiser momentum m1 with the hd558 at best buy... it was the first time i truly understood what "V/U-shaped" felt like... the momentums had the emphasized treble and bass, decent mids that felt kind of pushed back, but the hd558's relative flatness really brought out the mids, but with still nice thumping bass. wish i could have had my hd598s there to side-by-side with the hd558.

really poor source files though, you could hear the distortion/crackling/hiss at higher vols.

Tried Ultimate Ears Triplefi10 which has a v-shape sound and was disappointed with the sound quality after all the rave reviews. Seemed like the bass was overpowering everything including the treble.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3342 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 15:37:12 »
The K553s are back on Massdrop ^^
I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3343 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 23:01:43 »
The K553s are back on Massdrop ^^
If only I didn't wear glasses and had an abnormally large head...

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3344 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 10:06:53 »
SO, I'm thinking of getting a Modi 2 Uber and a Vali to power these dt990 250ohms...

Bad idea?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3345 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 10:09:16 »
Debating selling my th600.

Haven't used them since I got my a5+

But I know I won't buy them again if I want them later on

Price is too rich for my blood
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3346 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:15:20 »
SO, I'm thinking of getting a Modi 2 Uber and a Vali to power these dt990 250ohms...

Bad idea?
That's exactly my setup, works great for me :thumb: The 990s sound infinitely better with the Vali

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3347 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:24:03 »

Bad idea?
That's exactly my setup, works great for me :thumb: The 990s sound infinitely better with the Vali

Mega. I know you said about that setup on Skype, I was just double checking.

I just need to get a cable for them now as the ones I bought don't come with one...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3348 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:28:23 »

Bad idea?

I just need to get a cable for them now as the ones I bought don't come with one...
Wut.

Did they just rip them out?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3349 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:34:13 »

Wut.

Did they just rip them out?

Cable free modded from khaangaaroo ;)