Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316227 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3350 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:39:33 »
Mega. I know you said about that setup on Skype, I was just double checking.

I just need to get a cable for them now as the ones I bought don't come with one...
Wut.

Did they just rip them out?

Cable free modded from khaangaaroo ;)
oic
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3351 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:40:59 »
oic

:)

So I'm debating if I should get a really good cable from Pexon as his silver cables are like... £70...  :-X
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #3352 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 14:17:48 »

oic

So I'm debating if I should get a really good cable from Pexon as his silver cables are like... £70...  :-X
Yes, aesthetics > almost everything else

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3353 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 20:40:56 »
I might ask reddit this question too, but what's the deal with these $50 Sony Noise Canceling headphones?

Forgive me if this has been discussed on here, if so, please link me to such discussion.

They fit my bill (sub $100, can buy at a retailer, noise canceling). Any reason why to avoid these? I'm not much of an audiophile (unless you count being able to discern between 320 and 128kbps). Would rather not hold out as I only have the weekends off from work...

Most other NC headphones are significantly more expensive (probably due to much higher sound quality - but I'm not exactly looking for the best of the best right now - just something to drown out the noise at work).

EDIT: I went ahead and bought these today. For $50, these aren't the worst. Listening to some Avicii at 320kbps I can't really even hear myself type on my Model M. Only first impression caveat seems to be that these are pretty much unusable when NC isn't on. That, and the cable is much too short. If these hold up tomorrow in the office like I think they will, purchase justified. This is a more reasonable purchase at $40 (while $10 difference doesn't seem like much, it's 20% of the MSRP). Caveat emptor: you get what you pay for. Fits my needs - nothing more, nothing less. Initial rating: 7/10.

Will be ordering a pair on Amazon for $37.50 with prime, and return the one's I'm using to BB to get the $13 or so back. Thank goodness for their "great" return policy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2015, 11:05:31 by jerue »

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #3354 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 18:35:30 »
Anyone heard the DT880 600 Ohm? Nice cans?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3355 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 19:09:30 »
Anyone heard the DT880 600 Ohm? Nice cans?

I had the 250 ohm version and quite liked it. Worked well as a headphone for both music and gaming (good positional audio for CS:GO). Paired it with a FiiO E18.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline godly_music

« Reply #3356 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 07:17:38 »
Pick the appropriate Ohm for the system you plan to use the headphones on, don't expect an audible difference in sound. The DT880 are great headphones overall.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3357 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 19:19:36 »
Has anyone used Symphonized ear buds before?  I ordered a pair to use while I'm at the gym mostly..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T55A6TG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

How do they sound? I'm also using one around that price range (thermaltake isurus).

They sound decent but they are falling apart and im thinking about picking up a Vsonic gr07 classic.

I only listened to them for about an hour, but they sounded pretty good to me for the $25 price.. then I let my wife use them and she lost them somewhere >_<

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3358 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 11:15:05 »
I joined that MEE grab bag yolo
I love Elzy

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3359 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 13:18:27 »
I would join that if we had the funds.. Need to replace the ones my wife lost, lol

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3360 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 13:22:27 »
Ugh I thought I was good with my setup and then GL1TCH3D brought me to Layton Audio in Montreal. Tried out the Nads Viso HP50 and I was smitten mmmm.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3361 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 13:28:06 »
Cpt you should know better. Nobody is here is ever done and we can always upgrade
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3362 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 09:30:31 »
My very first higher end IEM! :thumb:

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3363 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 12:05:35 »
Ugh I thought I was good with my setup and then GL1TCH3D brought me to Layton Audio in Montreal. Tried out the Nads Viso HP50 and I was smitten mmmm.

Don't forget the McIntosh headphones! Even I was surprised by how good they were

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3364 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 12:06:17 »
My very first higher end IEM! :thumb:
Show Image

Dang gratz
I heard them in the past. A bit too v shaped for me but pretty good overall.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3365 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 12:58:13 »
oic

Compared to what some crazy people on head-fi spend on cables (not even the most expensive option) £70 is cheap.

The alternative is another stock cable which will probably be half that price and won't look anywhere near as good and you get no say about what length it is (why is the after the Y split so long on most cables?) so I'd go for it, if you haven't already.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3366 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 15:45:47 »
oic

Compared to what some crazy people on head-fi spend on cables (not even the most expensive option) £70 is cheap.

The alternative is another stock cable which will probably be half that price and won't look anywhere near as good and you get no say about what length it is (why is the after the Y split so long on most cables?) so I'd go for it, if you haven't already.
Wow, that is some hella nice snake oil
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline cakewizard

• "**** me, that cow's got udders!"
« Reply #3367 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 04:58:50 »
Focal Spirit Professional user here:

They sound gorgeous and they are some of the best isolating cans on the market, but my god are they uncomfortable to wear for extended periods.

Looking to pick up some HD280s next.
Cherry G80-3000, Apple Standard Keyboard

OS X, Debian + i3wm. GNU/Linux, pronounced "whatevs".

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3368 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 10:46:50 »
oic

I haven't yet. I need to sell a load of stuff, then I'm moving into my first house at the end of this month so I'm gonna need money for furniture and paint and ****, and I need to get an Amp/DAC setup before I can get the full range out of them... So that's like... £300 I need to spend before I even listen to anything on them.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3369 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 13:14:22 »
Focal Spirit Professional user here:

They sound gorgeous and they are some of the best isolating cans on the market, but my god are they uncomfortable to wear for extended periods.

Looking to pick up some HD280s next.

Two of my favorite sounding headphones that aren't big enough for any length of use.  I'm about to pick up a pair of sony mdr-1a, I've read a lot of good things about them.  Also, the dampers in my CIEM started to degrade so I sold them for someone else to deal with.  I'm nice headphone-less now.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3370 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:49:21 »
The th900 sold I presume? xP
Interested in hearing.g tour thoughts on the 1A
I tried the Sony headphones here in the Montreal show and found them quite good. However my friend has been raving about the new xb950 which is actually fairly cheap on the USA. (And he's an audiophile with lots of CIEMs and more).

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3371 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 19:44:40 »
Head Fi meet up coming sf on July 18th. Perfect for my neck of the woods.  :thumb: Gonna try some Audezes!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #3372 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 19:45:37 »
Still using my HD 558's. I am planning a upgrade soon though.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3373 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 19:46:18 »

What are you planning on upgrading too?

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #3374 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 19:48:32 »

What are you planning on upgrading too?

Have not decided yet, have been looking at the HD 600, and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 though. I will also have to get an amp I think.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3375 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 19:55:29 »
I tried the Sony headphones here in the Montreal show and found them quite good. However my friend has been raving about the new xb950 which is actually fairly cheap on the USA. (And he's an audiophile with lots of CIEMs and more).

Not quite yet. You still have a shot

I have a pair of xb950 now which is what's sold me on "upgrading" to the 1a. My only issue with the xb is it does what it claims very well and too well for my tastes. Plus the ear cups are a tad too small

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3376 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 20:55:29 »
HD650 came in  ;D. pairs very well with my c5d, and got it as a decent deal with a headphone stand. this should tide me over for a few years until i win the lottery anyway. then it's th900, hd800, and lcd-3 holy trinity baby  :p

one day. one day.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3377 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 00:11:58 »
Anyone interested in buying some HE400i's?  :rolleyes:

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3378 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 01:59:14 »

I have a pair of xb950 now which is what's sold me on "upgrading" to the 1a. My only issue with the xb is it does what it claims very well and too well for my tastes. Plus the ear cups are a tad too small

Ah my friend has tiny ears and so do I xD

Honestly I'm really liking these AKG K551...

And according to golden ears the measurements and perceived sound is really accurate (and I also have to agree with that)

http://en.goldenears.net/17012

If you have $150 for headphones I'd highly recommend trying them

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3379 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 14:10:29 »

And according to golden ears the measurements and perceived sound is really accurate (and I also have to agree with that)

I really liked the model previous to that, the k550.  If the k845bt wasn't so neutral (I want a more fun sound), I'd be getting those instead of the sonys.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3380 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 19:04:34 »

I really liked the model previous to that, the k550.  If the k845bt wasn't so neutral (I want a more fun sound), I'd be getting those instead of the sonys.

IMO the K551 sound a bit more natural and have better bass presence than the K550. Haven't tried the 553 but I heard it's more similar to the 550?

The Sony headphones should definitely fill the need for fun!

Offline cakewizard

• "**** me, that cow's got udders!"
« Reply #3381 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 08:14:11 »
Two of my favorite sounding headphones that aren't big enough for any length of use.

Man, tell me about it. I have pretty big ears, so finding a comfortable pair of headphones is a pain. I'm a fan of the HD280s, they're not toooo squish-ear-y, and I do like the open-back AKG stuff.

Why do my hobbies cost so much?
Cherry G80-3000, Apple Standard Keyboard

OS X, Debian + i3wm. GNU/Linux, pronounced "whatevs".

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3382 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 08:17:37 »

Don't forget the McIntosh headphones! Even I was surprised by how good they were
La la la la what's a macintosh setup?!

* CPTBadAss cries because he'll never be able to afford that rig

The struggle is real :(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3383 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 14:36:14 »

Just buy some beyerdynamic instead.  Pretty sure they're the same phones.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3384 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 14:42:34 »

Just buy some beyerdynamic instead.  Pretty sure they're the same phones.

I've never enjoyed Beyerdynamic and have tried the entire line up of full sized including the T5p and T1, however, the McIntosh branded beyerdynamic phone was fantastic. More more natural sounding than Beyer is known for... along with very high detailing. Only downsides are that it's a tad bit v shaped and sounds like a closed back. However it's also worth noting the McIntosh headphones are over 2k new.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3385 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 20:46:49 »
Bought some Philips Fidelio x2 headphones, now to wait for them..

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3386 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 20:59:02 »

Show Image

Nice choice! I've always wanted to demo those, I only hear good things about them (very rare for headphones).

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3387 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 21:13:17 »

Show Image

Nice choice! I've always wanted to demo those, I only hear good things about them (very rare for headphones).

I had a hard time finding anything negative about them as well.. and I finally got a good pair of headphones through the WAP (wife approval process) today.

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
« Reply #3388 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 12:23:21 »
I really like the Senn HD650.  I've been using them for many years.  Super comfortable and sound great.

Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3389 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 13:06:25 »
I haven't tried on the HD650s, but the last time I did try on some Sennheiser headphones they were way too uncomfortable on my giant head. I have read a lot of good reviews of the 650s tho!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3390 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 13:09:01 »
Now I need to decide on a cheap-ish dac/amp to get.. Hoping some are on sale during this Amazon Prime Day event coming up.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3391 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 13:26:14 »

what're you gonna replace them with?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3392 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 13:44:00 »

Maybe some shiny new 400s?

Thinking about getting a pair to check out myself.  I like the new connector style and the early reviews haven't chased me off yet.

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
« Reply #3393 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 15:38:42 »
Now I need to decide on a cheap-ish dac/amp to get.. Hoping some are on sale during this Amazon Prime Day event coming up.

I like the stuff from http://hotaudio.com I use one of their USB DACs and it is really nice.  They also have amp/dac combos that might be interesting to you.
Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3394 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:28:54 »

Hopefully some LCDs. I just auditioned some and man they are something...

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3395 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:29:38 »

Every LCD I've heard (admittedly only 2) was so good.  Too bad they're so much $

(wanna buy some barely used xc?)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3396 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:30:53 »

Every LCD I've heard (admittedly only 2) was so good.  Too bad they're so much $

I just got to try the LCD 3's, LCD X's, and LCD XC's. LCD 3 was my favorite. The bass is magical. X's were a bit too sparkly for me. XC were very good.. Very open for a closed can.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3397 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:32:21 »

I just got to try the LCD 3's, LCD X's, and LCD XC's. LCD 3 was my favorite. The bass is magical. X's were a bit too sparkly for me. XC were very good.. Very open for a closed can.

Also, you're right about audeze bass, there's just something special about it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:35:13 by tjcaustin »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3398 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:35:06 »

PM your price TJ. Although I am primarily looking for an open can. But can't say no to good deals.

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #3399 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:40:38 »

A package came in today  :cool: and coming from the K553, these blow them out of the water
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD